"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 253 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7561 of 7572 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I wonder what percentage of the hour includes advertising if you also count the annoying bottom screen thirds and product placements.

So I guess Ricks shave and constable outfit were meant to imply an attempt to return to the man he was at the beginning of the series, but his last line showed he will never be that guy again.

Are the hairdresser and her husband even together? In what marriage is it ok for one spouse to spend time alone with a potential love interest stranger (grooming him no less) in his house, while the other spouse has not even met him?

I'm guessing the patrol leader ahole will be the cause for this place not working out, perhaps assisted by the hairdresser's husband.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying regarding the hairdresser, but if that's one of her "jobs" then no introduction should be needed. If Rick was far and ugly would that make it ok? In a secure marriage as long as she told her husband (which it seems she did) then I don't see the problem.

Sent from nowhere
hall likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7572 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
I was distracted by the possum with the arrow through it.

They must have had fun making it. I wonder if there was more than one -- one to carry and one to gut?
TWD PSA: no animals were harmed in the making of this episode.[emoji15]
post #7563 of 7572 Old Today, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 304
The Talking Dead has some good behind the scenes. They showed the town. It is a real community that they built the fence around. They added 14 houses to the community for everyone to use. They said they actually have to stop production when someone comes home from work and has to drive to their house.

post #7564 of 7572 Old Today, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Would you rather see them in the episodes then? :P
That's the last thing I want to see. USA has been doing that promoting Dig.
post #7565 of 7572 Old Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Bingo.! That's my thought too, since they were in Georgia why not go to Tybee Island and the only way in out is Hwy 80 the rest is water all around. Throw up some barriers on the 80 and than clean up Tybee?
Have you ever read (read, not seen) World War Z?

It's not undisputed in the literature that water protects you from zombies.
post #7566 of 7572 Old Today, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Good guess, with the 30 sec catch-up included but the previews for the next episode not included there wer 42:38 mins of actual screen time. With a programmed runtime of 1:01 minutes, 42:38 comes out to right about 69%(.69945) of actual program, the rest was all commercials and the previews for next week. There were 5 commercial breaks of 1:15, 3:31, 4:07, 4:36, 4:16 and then the 22 sec preview(w/Microsoft ad).
That's quite average these days. Some network shows are down to 41:30. It's not the total minutes that's changed in the past few years, it's the extra break which screws up the rhythm of the show and makes everything feel disjointed, even when watching on a DVR. IIRC Lost was the first show to do the 5 act structure.

ITA that TV advertising should be more of a scarce resource and then they could charge more for it. What I wouldn't give to go back to the 46-48 minute hour back in the 80's -- 4 short, predictable breaks, after the opening credits and at the 15 minute marks. Now I can do the freakin' dinner dishes during a break.

Yet another reason why, with rare exceptions, premium TV is kicking ad-supported's butt when it comes to quality and awards.
post #7567 of 7572 Old Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
That's quite average these days. Some network shows are down to 41:30. It's not the total minutes that's changed in the past few years, it's the extra break which screws up the rhythm of the show and makes everything feel disjointed, even when watching on a DVR. IIRC Lost was the first show to do the 5 act structure.

ITA that TV advertising should be more of a scarce resource and then they could charge more for it. What I wouldn't give to go back to the 46-48 minute hour back in the 80's -- 4 short, predictable breaks, after the opening credits and at the 15 minute marks. Now I can do the freakin' dinner dishes during a break.

Yet another reason why, with rare exceptions, premium TV is kicking ad-supported's butt when it comes to quality and awards.
Yes, keep in mind that this show ran for 61 mins whereas a typical show only runs 60 mins so this show only ran for 42.5 mins because it "stole" time from the next show airing behind it. Less breaks would be better but then they'd have to worry about the viewer just walking away from the screen altogether, it's a bit of a balancing game I suppose. It's been a while since I clocked a show on ABC, but I seem to recall they run a commercial break 6 times per hour, it's like 5 to 7 mins of show and then they punt to a commercial break.

I didn't count the individual ads, life's way too short for that, but my guess is that there was probably close to 40 to 50 ads total during those breaks.
post #7568 of 7572 Old Today, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
It's not undisputed in the literature that water protects you from zombies.
What literature, the comics ?
post #7569 of 7572 Old Today, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If a show is popular enough and the network isn't too greedy, they could allow the show plenty of extra time. Look at FXX and Sons of Anarchy. It has episodes routinely that ran well over 1:15.
post #7570 of 7572 Old Today, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
World War Z. It's a pretty significant plot point.
post #7571 of 7572 Old Today, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 107
"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, keep in mind that this show ran for 61 mins whereas a typical show only runs 60 mins so this show only ran for 42.5 mins because it "stole" time from the next show airing behind it. Less breaks would be better but then they'd have to worry about the viewer just walking away from the screen altogether, it's a bit of a balancing game I suppose. It's been a while since I clocked a show on ABC, but I seem to recall they run a commercial break 6 times per hour, it's like 5 to 7 mins of show and then they punt to a commercial break.

I didn't count the individual ads, life's way too short for that, but my guess is that there was probably close to 40 to 50 ads total during those breaks.

Is it me or do the episodes on Netflix seem a couple minutes longer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / Velodyne CHT Front Row / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
post #7572 of 7572 Unread Today, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
In nearly all media zombies are at the mercy of water because they lack the strength and understanding to fight a current and the ability to swim.

I can only think of two movies off the top of my head that wasn't the case, Zombie Lake and Land of the Dead, but the latter is a Romero movie and partially sentient zombies are not unheard of. In Land one of the zombies eventually figured out how to cross the river.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page