"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 254 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #7591 of 7607 Old Today, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That is a very nice series.
Here in Portugal we love it, on FOX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7607 Old Today, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 642
If the wall is just sitting on the ground, you need supports on both the inside and the outside. You can't expect the adjacent wall segments to hold each other up.

Of course, as has been pointed out, this really just protects you against Walkers. Anyone with any brain power would just cut the supports and let the wall collapse outward.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #7593 of 7607 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Regarding Carol's subterfuge... I posted something similar elsewhere...

I don't see how her ruse to play mild works.

Remember... Aaron said they had been following and listening to the group for a while before inviting them to audition to Alexandria... and he proved that by knowing everyone's names. There's no way they wouldn't already know the character of each member of the group... so Carol pretending to be meek is likely to backfire because it will make her appear more suspicious.

Friday... the 13th!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #7594 of 7607 Old Today, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 209
http://www.amctv.com/TWD360/alexandria-tour/

The town appears to me to be virtually undefended. No effort has been made to clear structures or foliage from the perimeter; raiders and Walkers can get right up to the wall while completely under cover. An entire herd of Walkers could reach the wall before anyone would even see them, and with the supports on the wrong side as they are, a big enough herd could just push the wall over. I don't see any watch towers or other high points to see threas approaching from a distance, either.

Hard to believe that, in the world portrayed on this show over the years, Alexandria hasn't become the focus of every group of human marauders in the eastern US. Especially since one could easily imagine DC to be a likely destination for anyone looking for civilization.

I did love Carol playing possum, though.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #7595 of 7607 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post
I also agree with everyone's take on the wall supports. I definitely can see how it was built only thinking about keeping the walkers out as it would be easy for raiders to cut the supports if they are on the outside...but what still befuddles me is why the hell you would put your supports inside out like that? If a herd just leaned on the walls long enough, or in large enough quantities, the supports aren't going to do jack. So weird.

The only thing that makes sense for the bracing to be on the outside is this:

That is a real neighborhood that exists in real life that they are filming in. They added some houses to it, but it was already there and people live there. Most likely, the existing residents didn't want their yards and landscaping tore up for the braces to be put in place, so the crew just put them outside to avoid invading the residents back yards. It's the only thing that makes sense, because as everyone has stated, it's very dumb to put them outside the wall.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #7596 of 7607 Old Today, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
http://www.amctv.com/TWD360/alexandria-tour/

The town appears to me to be virtually undefended. No effort has been made to clear structures or foliage from the perimeter; raiders and Walkers can get right up to the wall while completely under cover. An entire herd of Walkers could reach the wall before anyone would even see them, and with the supports on the wrong side as they are, a big enough herd could just push the wall over. I don't see any watch towers or other high points to see threas approaching from a distance, either.

Hard to believe that, in the world portrayed on this show over the years, Alexandria hasn't become the focus of every group of human marauders in the eastern US. Especially since one could easily imagine DC to be a likely destination for anyone looking for civilization.

I did love Carol playing possum, though.

Their stay in Alexandria is going to be as temporary as the farm and the prison. If their security isn't breached, it will be some other reason for them to leave.

Obviously the show can't have the characters settle into any kind of long-term peace and relative security, with food, water, amenities, etc. Because in that case, it becomes a boring show about life in a small town, confined within these walls.

So either the place will fall like every other place they've visited or they'll leave. More likely the former because it'll be more dramatic and full of action to tear the place down than have the characters just walk away peacefully.

What does it say about these guys that they leave a trail of destruction in their wake? In all cases, the people they killed deserved it, was a struggle of the fittest that they won.

Interesting that Rick said "we'll take it over" if they have too much friction with the Alexandrians.
post #7597 of 7607 Old Today, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Obviously the show can't have the characters settle into any kind of long-term peace and relative security, with food, water, amenities, etc. Because in that case, it becomes a boring show about life in a small town, confined within these walls.
They can always pull a "New Caprica" like Battlestar Galactica did in it's second season. The refugees settled a new planet- and they did a "one year later" at the tail end of the episode when the Cylons found them. It was a clever narrative choice.

I'd kinda like to see that in TWD... I want to see the Clan of Rick let the guard all the way down.... and pay for it in spades.
Tack likes this.
post #7598 of 7607 Old Today, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I know the show is not an accurate representation of the comics, but if the show does take cues' then they'll be in Alexandria for a while. A third of the comics series was in Alexandria, but definitely not boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Their stay in Alexandria is going to be as temporary as the farm and the prison. If their security isn't breached, it will be some other reason for them to leave.

So either the place will fall like every other place they've visited or they'll leave. More likely the former because it'll be more dramatic and full of action to tear the place down than have the characters just walk away peacefully.

What does it say about these guys that they leave a trail of destruction in their wake? In all cases, the people they killed deserved it, was a struggle of the fittest that they won.

Interesting that Rick said "we'll take it over" if they have too much friction with the Alexandrians.
post #7599 of 7607 Old Today, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

That is a real neighborhood that exists in real life that they are filming in. They added some houses to it, but it was already there and people live there. Most likely, the existing residents didn't want their yards and landscaping tore up for the braces to be put in place, so the crew just put them outside to avoid invading the residents back yards.
It may be a real neighborhood but the zombie apocalypse is not, so they don't even need real support beams. They could be made from plastic and just dropped in place whenever a scene calls for it. No need to tear up anyone's lawn or block traffic permanently.

post #7600 of 7607 Old Today, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Don't travel much? possums are plentiful and I've seen more than a few out in the wild, unless you're out at night however you'll almost never see them.
I think you missed the slightly condescending zoology lesson. The "opossum" is the technical name for the animal found in North America. The animal called the "possum" actually lives Down Under.

Same way there are no real "buffalo" in the wild here but everyone calls the American bison by that name anyway.

post #7601 of 7607 Old Today, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

That is a real neighborhood that exists in real life that they are filming in. They added some houses to it, but it was already there and people live there. Most likely, the existing residents didn't want their yards and landscaping tore up for the braces to be put in place, so the crew just put them outside to avoid invading the residents back yards. It's the only thing that makes sense, because as everyone has stated, it's very dumb to put them outside the wall.
That was my assumption as well. Either that, or some other production logistic required them to shoot that particular scene in a spot where the support braces were visible even though they logically shouldn't be.

Either way, this could be a fault of the TV production itself, rather than a deliberate decision the characters in the show supposedly made to put the braces on the outside.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7602 of 7607 Old Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Remember... Aaron said they had been following and listening to the group for a while before inviting them to audition to Alexandria... and he proved that by knowing everyone's names. There's no way they wouldn't already know the character of each member of the group... so Carol pretending to be meek is likely to backfire because it will make her appear more suspicious.
The other fault in Carol's plan is that she'd need to inform everyone else in the group of what she's doing. Otherwise, one of them might blab about what a badass Carol is in their video interview with Deanna.

While you'd think these characters would be smart enough to keep their mouths shut when asked too many prying questions, a lot of them divulged some really personal information they probably shouldn't have.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7603 of 7607 Old Today, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I think you missed the slightly condescending zoology lesson. The "opossum" is the technical name for the animal found in North America. The animal called the "possum" actually lives Down Under.

Same way there are no real "buffalo" in the wild here but everyone calls the American bison by that name anyway.

I guess you're quite literal aren't you I thought the wink was a good indication I was playing along.....

Sent from nowhere
post #7604 of 7607 Old Today, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I guess you're quite literal aren't you I thought the wink was a good indication I was playing along.....
Well you didn't do a very good job of it! Should have said that you see them everywhere because you live at the zoo.

post #7605 of 7607 Old Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

They weren't following the gang in Atlanta before Grady, so there wasn't much of Carol's badassery to observe. It fact she would be recovering from the van fall and being hit by a car during their trek to Virginia.
post #7606 of 7607 Old Today, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
What was puzzling to me about the location of the braces was, if I recall correctly, Madame Monroe said her husband, an engineer of some sort, designed the Wall .. maybe I'm just over thinking it ..
He was an architect. Where the braces are, inside or outside, have no bearing on how "strong" the wall is and they sure LOOK better on the outside. From a security standpoint though, it's a major failure...

Now I'm wondering if the braces on the outside are there on purpose by the writers. Real neighborhood or not, they could have them on the inside LIKE THEY SHOULD BE and just add them in via CGI.

Last edited by hall; Today at 06:20 PM.
post #7607 of 7607 Old Today, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Given a moat or lake/pond scenario, without rushing water, I believe there is no reason a Walker can't walk across the bottom and out the other end ..

What was puzzling to me about the location of the braces was, if I recall correctly, Madame Monroe said her husband, an engineer of some sort, designed the Wall .. maybe I'm just over thinking it ..
A moat with alligators would do the trick.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page