post #811 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Only problem with the 99% would leave her to die. She is 12 and prime baby momma stock in a few years. Amy would have been the best but she is dead, but there are few people (so far) and honestly if they are going to build up the human race. They need her.

I don't believe anyone in their camp is seriously considering that they themselves are the future of the human race and ought to be thinking in that way. If Rick's conversation with the vet is any indication, it's not clear that Rick sees any real future for them at all. He just doesn't know what else to do besides lead them somewhere. The conversation between T-Dog and Dale was similarly hopeless, even if T-Dog was feverish. And we know that Andrea is suicidal too.

I see them, right now, as a group no so much interested in survival as one that is terrified of dying, particularly at the hands of the zombies. They haven't quite recovered from the shock at the CDC and the assault on their camp. I think the crew at the farmhouse has had a somewhat different experience and is much more hopeful for the future. But they're also so isolated; they haven't seen what Rick and company have seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I don't believe anyone in their camp is seriously considering that they themselves are the future of the human race and ought to be thinking in that way.

At this point they don't even know the situation in the rest of the world. Australia could be all just surf, sun and beer and completely untouched.

post #813 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just got renewed for a third season. So now they can take even longer to get to Benning!

post #814 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 199
TV Notes
AMC Renews Walking Dead' For Season 3
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - October 25th, 2011

After shattering cable ratings records with its second-season premiere, AMC's zombie drama The Walking Dead has been quickly rewarded with a third-season pickup. Today we are pleased to announce that the dead' shall live as we proudly renew The Walking Dead for a third season on AMC and, globally, with our terrific partners at Fox International Channels, AMC president Charlie Collier said.

After launching its second season with 7.3 million total viewers and 4.8 million in the adults 18-49 demographic the most ever for a basic cable premiere - The Walking Dead slipped only a bit in Week 2 to 6.7 million total viewers. The series is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman. Glen Mazzara serves as the showrunner. Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Frank Darabont, who exited as showrunner midway through production on Season 2, are executive producers. Greg Nicotero is a co-executive producer.

Fox International Channels rolled out its global launch for The Walking Dead this weekend, breaking pay-TV ratings records worldwide and drawing more than 10 million viewers in 122 countries for the season premiere.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/amc-...-for-season-3/
post #815 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I think some people forget too... that Rick and Shane are Sheriff/deputies... so instinct is "to protect and serve"... so when people ask "why search for someone else's lost kid"... Rick would have done that every day before the apocalypse...

IF Rick suddenly became selfish and uninterested in the plight of others, he would be a less interesting character. They have (and can introduce) other characters to be that... but we have Rick and to some extent Shane trying to behave like they would have before the apocalypse... and keep the order.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #816 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

We've been having this discussion regularly since the second episode of season one all the way up to last week.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19452125

While I have not seen it, a friend of mine owns the BD of S1 & says it looks as "bad" as the HD broadcast - so I am going with the "use of Super 16 film & a desired stylistic vibe at play" theory when it comes to image quality.

Netflix streaming of S1 looked comparable to the DirecTv & Comcast broadcast versions I have watched.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #817 of 7219 Old 10-25-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

While I have not seen it, a friend of mine owns the BD of S1 & says it looks as "bad" as the HD broadcast - so I am going with the "use of Super 16 film & a desired stylistic vibe at play" theory when it comes to image quality.

I did the same comparison with Burn Notice when it hit Blu-ray (before they realized it was wasted). The amount of noise was certainly there but generally it was sharper, had more contrast and slightly more detail thanks to the lack of compression. I expect Dead looks the same. AMC is a switched channel here so they don't even get the most bandwidth for their already compressed HD feed.

FNL was a much better looking show than Dead and that possibly had more grain.

post #818 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 256
If you watch The Talking dead the executive producer let slip something that was pretty interesting about what the CDC guy whispered to Rick.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When asked if what the CDC guy whispered to Rick has impacted Rick at all, he said it definitely has made him more cautious. I know this is minor but you could tell he let slip a little more then he wanted to. I wonder what he could of said to Rick to make Rick cautious. Hmmmm.

post #819 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The biggest issue here is lazy writing. Kids in jeopardy, frantic screaming women in jeopardy, stupid people. No surprises here.

Exactly. I can handle "slow"; heck, Mad Men is one of my very favorites.

But the drama and dialogue needs to be compelling and it just isn't..
post #820 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I admit the story of the lost girl is dragging a bit... but "move the story along" to what exactly?

Assume they find the girl and resolve that point... then they are just back to wandering to the next point.

Without the lost girl to search for... there's no reason for them to have stayed longer than it took to fix the RV... and then we're back to driving down the road to nowhere.

There's no story while they are on the road driving... the story evolves when they have to stop for some reason and get out and wander around in unknown territory.

I think the issue is the expectation set by season 1. It did move along. Even when they had that camp, they traveled into the city and had plot lines there. Now, it's like someone dropped anchor on the whole show.

If the 1st season had been this way, people would have known what to expect.

That being said, I'm still in. I know things will pick up eventually.
post #821 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Now they have to spread it out over 13 episodes.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #822 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Now they have to spread it out over 13 episodes.

Not only that, but it wasn't known if the show would be renewed until during airing of the season.
post #823 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

How many of you are watching in HD? Is it me or the HD feed from AMC is terrible? It looks like I'm watching SD in VCR quality except in widescreen.

SD doesn't have the detail to show all the grain. Try watching the SD output. It most certainly does not look like SD, let alone VCR quality. VCR quality would look much, much worse with no detail.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #824 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

SD doesn't have the detail to show all the grain. Try watching the SD output. It most certainly does not look like SD, let alone VCR quality. VCR quality would look much, much worse with no detail.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that anyone who thinks this looks like VHS doesn't remember what VHS looks like. If it looked like that, I wouldn't be watching.
post #825 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that anyone who thinks this looks like VHS doesn't remember what VHS looks like. If it looked like that, I wouldn't be watching.

+1

My eyes are not offended by TWD in HD - I like the grainy/"crappy" look, at least in this show. I did watch the first season in SD initially via DirecTv (prior to their adding AMC HD). Even the Netflix HD streaming version (@ 720p, no less via an Apple TV) was an improvement over satellite-delivered standard def.

Have since gone to Comcast. AMC HD - at least in my neck of the woods - looks comparable to the D* broadcast.

I hate to imagine what this show would actually look like on VHS. But AMC HD's broadcast is NOT VHS-level.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #826 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post

But the drama and dialogue needs to be compelling and it just isn't..

Agreed. For some reason, even the "slow" scenes in Season 1 were compelling to me. I became very emotionally involved. So far this season, the only scene that's affected me that way was when Rick wanted to leave the house to find his wife and Shane gave him the speech (and hug) that convinced him to stay.

Doug
post #827 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Agreed. For some reason, even the "slow" scenes in Season 1 were compelling to me. I became very emotionally involved. So far this season, the only scene that's affected me that way was when Rick wanted to leave the house to find his wife and Shane gave him the speech (and hug) that convinced him to stay.

Doug

That felt like a cliche to me.

What I liked was when his wife told everyone off for acting like jerks around him, especially the girl's whiny mother and "gotta have a gun or I'll throw a hissy fit" girl.
post #828 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

If you watch The Talking dead the executive producer let slip something that was pretty interesting about what the CDC guy whispered to Rick.

I didnt like this ep either....too much blood.

Yea i know blood in a zombie show....nooooooo.

I mean that i dont mind the blood when they shoot/chop/whatever the walkers but i dont like the transfusions/rick staggering around from blood loss/the iv stuff....too ER for me....gives me the willes.

post #829 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The amount of pixelation and other artifacts on AMC does make for a horrible, SD-like experience. Even the Netflix streaming of season 1 looks worlds better than the broadcast version.

Yes, there is more detail than SD or VHS, but it is so mangled that at times it looks worse in some ways.
post #830 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

The amount of pixelation and other artifacts on AMC does make for a horrible, SD-like experience. Even the Netflix streaming of season 1 looks worlds better than the broadcast version.

Yes, there is more detail than SD or VHS, but it is so mangled that at times it looks worse in some ways.

If it looks better on netflix, it's due to the filtering. In short, it's like rubbing Vaseline on the lens. Everything is softened up enough to hide those defects.
post #831 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it looks better on netflix, it's due to the filtering. In short, it's like rubbing Vaseline on the lens. Everything is softened up enough to hide those defects.

I don't think massive amounts of macroblocking is part of their intended look.
post #832 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

No, it's not... but the massive amount of intended 16mm grain really taxes the compression algorithms used in virtually all "broadcast" media these days. All that grain represents a huge amount of detail to transmit in a compressed channel. It doesn't appear that the creative folks consider that when making their artistic choices.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #833 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Something is wrong with your setup if you're seeing "massive amounts of macroblocking". I see plenty of mosquito noise that occasionally devolves into minor artifacting in busy shots (like around the leaves on trees when they were in the woods), but I've never seen any macroblocking.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the term.

Watch something with a lot of strobe lights in a darkened room with rapid movement, such as what you might get in a night club scene. The image will literally break up to the point it's almost unrecognizable. It will look like it's made of ceramic tiles. That's macroblocking.

If you're seeing that here, you need to have someone look at your service. Something is wrong.

Now, in your favor, I will say that the with the noisy nature of the film stock, they really need to boost the bandwidth on the signal. I doubt they're using the full capacity of an ATSC channel for the network. I'd wager they're running no more that 12-15Mbs and anything your provider does in the chain is only aggravating it.
post #834 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

What I liked was when his wife told everyone off for acting like jerks around him, especially the girl's whiny mother and "gotta have a gun or I'll throw a hissy fit" girl.

If there is one thing I don't like about the show's writing, it is the way that women are portrayed. Between the abused wife/mother, Andrea's ridiculous suicide plot and general bitchiness this season, and Lori's constant flip-flopping towards Shane, none of the women are portrayed sympathetically except, of course, when they're crying.
post #835 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

If there is one thing I don't like about the show's writing, it is the way that women are portrayed. Between the abused wife/mother, Andrea's ridiculous suicide plot and general bitchiness this season, and Lori's constant flip-flopping towards Shane, none of the women are portrayed sympathetically except, of course, when they're crying.

Oh, I fully agree with that. I don't like any of the female characters in the show. I just like when she said exactly what was on my mind: get over it, people. He's doing the best he can. He's doing the best anyone can.

The old guy (Dale) is my favorite. He's completely Zen in the whole mess. It's like he's had his life and doesn't care if the day comes when he can no longer survive - but he'll keep hanging on as long as he can, because that's what people do.

I'd like to see his back story.
post #836 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:

Something is wrong with your setup if you're seeing "massive amounts of macroblocking". I see plenty of mosquito noise that occasionally devolves into minor artifacting in busy shots (like around the leaves on trees when they were in the woods), but I've never seen any macroblocking.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the term.

Watch something with a lot of strobe lights in a darkened room with rapid movement, such as what you might get in a night club scene. The image will literally break up to the point it's almost unrecognizable. That's macroblocking.

If you're seeing that here, you need to have someone look at your service. Something is wrong.

Now, in your favor, I will say that the with the noisy nature of the film stock, they really need to boost the bandwidth on the signal. I doubt they're using the full capacity of an ATSC channel for the network. I'd wager they're running no more that 12-15Mbs and anything your provider does in the chain is only aggravating it.

This has been my experience as well, massive amounts of grain, but very little to none in the way of actual macroblocking/pixelation.
post #837 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I know what macroblocking is, yes TWC here sucks.
post #838 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Not to mention that though some "grindhouse" movies may have been shot with 16mm many were shot in 35mm. The lighting of some scenes (with the light reflecting on the faces and sometimes a nose) looks "grindhouse". I always get a laugh at even big budget Hollywood movies where they would shoot an outdoor scene with foil reflectors and they look like tin foil is reflecting in the actor's face. Eventually they discovered that a white board would also fill well without the tin foil look.
post #839 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
What's really funny... is the redneck semi-racist Daryl actually has been fleshed out (no pun intended) as the most well-rounded character that has showed growth.

Think about it.

Before the apocalypse, he was probably a guy that wouldn't get along with anyone else here and wouldn't have stayed around.

Now, though, he seems to be the most useful in a crisis and is saving people he otherwise might not have liked... he was giving the mom hope about her missing daughter (much better than anyone else was I might add)... and generally seems to be the most evolved character.

Everyone else seems to be stuck in their stereotypes from when the show started... while Daryl has actually grown and changed.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #840 of 7219 Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I like when they get some comedy into the show & he had the best line yet when after the chick on the horse wacked the walker but the walker got up again & started to mumble so he said "oh shut up" & arrowed him in the head.

Maybe they need more characters like him that actually arent in the comic.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page