AVS Forum banner
685K views 15K replies 533 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Quote:
AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead

AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

About the Producers

Robert Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) will also serve as Executive Producer, and Jack LoGiudice (Sons of Anarchy, Resurrection Blvd) will serve as Co-Executive Producer.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

If you aren't suffering from zombie fatigue this starts Sunday October 31st, 10/9C.

It's like 28 Day Later - if the movie had continued to be about zombies in the second half.

Dread Central has some good behind-the-scenes coverage:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/389...king-dead-life

Reactions: Young C
#45 ·
If you have time to kill and want to spend the next ninety minutes in front of a computer ...

Quote:
Attention fans of The Walking Dead: This Sun., Oct. 10 from 2:15 to 3:45 PM ET, New York Comic Con will host a panel on the AMC series with Executive Producers Frank Darabont, Gale Anne Hurd and Robert Kirkman, as well as cast Andrew Lincoln (Rick), Jon Bernthal (Shane), Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori), Laurie Holden (Andrea), Steven Yeun (Glenn) and Norman Reedus (Daryl).

During the panel -- moderated by IGN.com's Eric Moro -- a new trailer will be screened along with never-before-seen footage from the show itself.

Can't make it to the Con? No problem! AMCtv.com will be live-blogging the event right here, so be sure to log on Sun., Oct. 10 at 2:15PM | 1:15C to see up-to-the-minute updates and photos from the event.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...-live-blog.php

#52 ·
based on how much press coverage this has had (in mainstream and the geek press) over the past week I'm expecting record breaking numbers for this pilot.

It seems I can't flip to a Web site anywhere without an article about the show.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/19296182

Can't wait for this.

And if they were looking for a post-apocalyptic setting, they couldn't have done better than filming in Atlanta.

Best. Post. Ever.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/19417390

based on how much press coverage this has had (in mainstream and the geek press) over the past week I'm expecting record breaking numbers for this pilot.

It seems I can't flip to a Web site anywhere without an article about the show.

I don't know... As much as I want to watch it, I'm going to DVR it while watching the Steelers/Saints game in New Orleans on NBC.

New Orleans is like Halloween city... and both teams are good... so it's hard not to be watching this game and DVRing other stuff.

That might cut into the ratings tonight.

#56 ·
I'm with you rebkell, never been a fan, although I do like the Resident Evil series. This was much better than I had thought it would be, I'm in for the duration. The use of the horse was inspired, typically we'd see our hero go from one vehicle to the next when ever he ran out of fuel, the writers cut that standard bit right out by going with the horse, good stuff.

#57 ·
For the most part the pacing was good and there wasn't too much "characters acting overly hysterical to create dramatic events."

I'm not sure I buy the guy in the hospital bed surviving without food or water for what would have to be a few days. This is just a minor complaint. I'll allow this suspension of disbelief as a convenient way to set up the main character's story. Of course the big suspension of disbelief is with the zombie premise, but that's purpose of the show. I guess being in a coma allowed him to be quiet enough not to attract zombies. I never associated zombies with being drawn to noise. I always imagined that zombies could smell living being like the flies that are attracted to fresh corpses.

The cop seemed to treat some situations a little to ordinary. He needs to get out of the cop mode and get more into the zombie apocalypse survival mode. Around every corner could be a zombie, the little girl could be a zombie so have your shotgun ready, and fellow humans may not necessarily be looking to help their fellow man.

I thought the last scene in downtown Atlanta was a little rushed. The cop had very poor situational awareness and thus, easily allowed himself to get into a very bad situation. Crawling into an M1 was cool. I wonder if the interior was accurately represented. I'm not sure I like the idea of zombies eating horse meat. I imagined that zombies only dined on one species.

#58 ·
I have been looking forward to this series, and liked the episode. Without a doubt, I will watch every episode of this series.

The scene where he wakes up as a forgotten hospital patient to a world full of zombies, was disappointing in its unoriginality. The movie "28 Days Later" begins with this exact scene, and the movie "Resident Evil" ends with it.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock /forum/post/19418536

The scene where he wakes up as a forgotten hospital patient to a world full of zombies, was disappointing in its unoriginality. The movie "28 Days Later" begins with this exact scene, and the movie "Resident Evil" ends with it.

The source graphic novel was being created around the same time as "28 days later." Hard to know which came first. And its creator, Robert Kirkman, has written many times that he avoids other zombie-themed media in order not to be influenced by it.

I'd imagine there was a lot of discussion amongst the producers of the WD TV show: keep the original opening from the books, or change it to avoid being seen as derivative by the wider TV audience. There are good arguments for both sides, but IMO the source material is so strong in general that changing the opening just because some people might think it was unoriginal is to sell it short.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock /forum/post/19418536

We already covered this on the previous page.