post #61 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

So far so good. I'm in, it's pretty intense. I never was a big zombie fan, but have loved all the Resident Evils, but of course I love Milla Jovovich, so that helped a lot.

The RE films are just action schlock, this was something much better.

The scene with Lennie James staring down his wife through the scope and the deputy walking through the park looking for the dead woman was great. It added a powerful depth of emotion you don't see in zombie flicks that often.

Usually the zombies are just treated as a mass of human-shaped targets with people only having a flicker of remorse for about five seconds and then they are on to the next bullet sponge.

"I love you ... zombie wife. "

"Okay I feel better now. Everyone, let's get moving!"

"Did you see that? That dude's head exploded like a melon! Woo hoo!"

Zombieland effectively just put a final stamp on that type of superficial zombie flick. Unless future movies are a knowing pastiche in the same way then they are just going to look silly for all the wrong reasons.

I actually felt sympathy for some of the dead in this show so I hope the show keeps that dramatic level throughout the series and doesn't just turn them into cheap monsters-in-the-closet.

edit: this wasn't as gory as I had imagined, but shooting a kid in the opening scene was a gutsy way to begin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had to wait and watch this from my DVR as Trick r Treating ran into Dexter's time. Anyways, it was well worth the wait. AMCHD is awesome and the scene inside the tank when he shot the military guy woke my 12" woofer up really quick. I know that there had to be someone in my neighborhood wondering what in the hell is going on at 12:00 midnight!?? The window panes literally rattled for 30 seconds straight.
I love the fact that this series is full of gore and shock, and doesn't try to overdo the score with thrash metal or the like. The silence is much more welcome than most musical scores that I've heard. Way to go to everyone associated with The Walking Dead!
post #63 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

this wasn't as gory as I had imagined...

Plenty gory for "TV-14," even with the repeated disclaimer. Some very good make-up effects; it seemed they were too intent on showing every head-shot from a similar perspective, though. The entrail-zombie-lady in the park was certainly more gory than an over-the-air network would have allowed, even with a disclaimer.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #64 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Plenty gory for "TV-14," even with the repeated disclaimer. Some very good make-up effects; it seemed they were too intent on showing every head-shot from a similar perspective, though. The entrail-zombie-lady in the park was certainly more gory than an over-the-air network would have allowed, even with a disclaimer.

Wasn't as gory as earlier articles made it out to be. No rending of limbs, head removals or pulling flesh from body cavities. Even the horse was mostly obscured by zombies so you couldn't see much beyond a hole of intestines.

Violent by regular-TV standards maybe, but not particularly gruesome overall. That's kind of an added bonus if they don't use the usual zombie carnage as a draw.

I would recommend this show to people who are squeamish but like fantasy drama. I've actually been more repulsed by Bones.

But this should in no way be a TV-14 show. I didn't even think it was anything but TV-MA until you just pointed that out. Terriers is TV-MA but this isn't? What a ridiculously skewed level of acceptance the viewing public have.

post #65 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Excellent debut to hopefully, another AMC classic series.

This show worked so well because of its simplicity.

The Drama/Action mix was pitch perfect, and characters were developed at a great pace.

The acting was very natural and believable, accentuated by spot on direction and good editing.

TV-14 is highly inaccurate, as this show has some of the most disturbing images for any TV show including TV-MA ones.

Was it 100% original?.....No. But was it extremely well done?...Yes.
post #66 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
vision1,

+1 on the vinne james comments!!!!
i was happy it was in 5.1 (dolby digital). the only thing we watch on amc is "breaking bad" and it's not in 5.1.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #67 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Wasn't as gory as earlier articles made it out to be. No rending of limbs, head removals or pulling flesh from body cavities. Even the horse was mostly obscured by zombies so you couldn't see much beyond a hole of intestines.

It was mostly obscured so you couldn't see it was a big fake horse, but there was most certainly plenty of flesh pulled from its body cavity and in plain view.

Not too gory overall, but certainly more than I'd ever expect on a regular cable channel. A little disappointed in the digital blood for the gunshots, but it wasn't done too badly.
post #68 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The question is whether zombies are enough to base a 12 episode multi-year series around or its better off as a six episode mini series?

Argee
post #69 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 318
This was pretty solid start. The quality of the sets and zombies are excellent. Looks better than 99% of all zombie flics I have seen. I thought they left a fare amount of scares and tension on the table though. When he was in the stairwell I thought for sure the match would burn out and when he lit it up a again he would be face to face with a walker. Stuff like that. Seemed like it was too easy to get from the hospital to his home and why were'nt they more paranoid in the police station? The kid going away to dress on his own? Sure recipe for disaster. LOL. I love this genre and it is really hard to find a good zombie movie so will be checking this out.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #70 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I liked the premier. Will watch again.
post #71 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I've never figured out why zombies don't just eat each other?
post #72 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

They smell really bad.

If you want to play this game there are lots of things you could throw out there. Live humans give off pheromones and heat or like sharks zombies might be able to smell fresh blood even when it's still inside a human!

post #73 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

It was mostly obscured so you couldn't see it was a big fake horse, but there was most certainly plenty of flesh pulled from its body cavity and in plain view.

I meant human bodies.

Animals don't count. People have been to the butchers and driven past dead animals mangled on the road so they've seen (and eaten) that stuff before.

post #74 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

If you're willing to accept the idea of zombies, accept the notion that they seek only live flesh and blood (and brains... BRAINS!!!)...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #75 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10
If you guys have never read the books, you're in for a treat. I let a friend of mine who has no interest in horror read my graphic novels a couple years ago, and he loved them. They are so well written and as long as the show keeps following the books so closely it should be great tv. I alway used to describe the books as a soap opera with zombies. Its more about the characters then the zombies. I'm just a little worried about later on in the story because it gets pretty grim and very violent. Not so much with the zombies, but with the way people treat each other when it's all about survival. I dont know how AMC is going to handle it with out losing the drama of the story.
post #76 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiskull View Post

I'm not sure I buy the guy in the hospital bed surviving without food or water for what would have to be a few days. This is just a minor complaint. I'll allow this suspension of disbelief as a convenient way to set up the main character's story.

A healthy adult with a little body fat can probably go a week without food and 2, maybe 3, days without water.

Factor in that the guy was in a bed sleeping most of the time, so he wasn't using a lot of energy nor sweating and losing excess water as much as usual... AND he was hooked up to an IV... so until the power went out, he was getting fluids and some glucose at least that way. Coma patients, that's the only way they get their food and water.

Since we don't know when the power was lost... we don't know how long he was without food/water. One could make the leap of logic that the power went out, and then 1-2 days later is when he woke up from the beginnings of feeling weak... thus his immediate going for water when he got to his feet.

Since they were ambiguous about how long he had been left alone... I'm willing to take my assumptions and run from there.

What's more unbelievable... is that he was the only living person left in the hospital.

Either the living humans abandoned more people or they only abandoned him... and either the zombies ate everyone else or they somehow missed him... that all seems less likely that he could be laying there unconscious for potentially days and be left behind unprotected and not get eaten.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #77 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

... they seek only live flesh and blood (and brains... BRAINS!!!)...

Ah yes, BRAINS... to ease the pain of being dead (never understood just how that helps) but nonetheless we get a tremendous kick out of watching O'Bannon's "Return of the Living Dead" every Halloween.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #78 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Since they were ambiguous about how long he had been left alone... I'm willing to take my assumptions and run from there.

Well he had about 8-12 days worth of beard. So it couldn't have just happened unless he was almost due for his regular weekly shaving appointment and missed it due to zombie massacre over the previous seven days.

Anyone know the shaving schedule when you're in a coma?

I did like his stumble acting. I was convinced by the post-coma weakness performance.

post #79 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Either the living humans abandoned more people or they only abandoned him... and either the zombies ate everyone else or they somehow missed him... that all seems less likely that he could be laying there unconscious for potentially days and be left behind unprotected and not get eaten.

My guess? Well - no one ever opened the door!

One could assume that the hospital was evacuated quickly (some sort of govt/military style evacuation looks to have been attempted, based on the ruins of society we've seen so far) - and perhaps there were not a lot of "walkers" lurking the hallways - or those that were followed thier future meals outside.

Since keeping quiet & covering windows seems to keep one safe in a house @ night, a closed hospital room door with a coma patient inside (esp after the power goes out) is probably not garnering a lot of zombie attention.

But in the end, you can't have your main character die before we even really meet him, so I just went with it. I assume we may get more info on all this in coming epsidoes. Our trusty sherrif still seemingly has more info about what is going on yet to learn (and us along with him).

Dig the show so far - certainly will be back for more next week.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #80 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Ah yes, BRAINS... to ease the pain of being dead (never understood just how that helps) but nonetheless we get a tremendous kick out of watching O'Bannon's "Return of the Living Dead" every Halloween.

You would think that one of the benefits of being dead would be that you don't need food to power your organs because they already stopped working.

Apparently not.

So how do zombies digest brains and other bits of flesh? Does it just sit there until it falls out?

post #81 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

But in the end, you can't have your main character die before we even really meet him, so I just went with it. I assume we may get more info on all this in coming epsidoes. Our trusty sherrif still seemingly has more info about what is going on yet to learn (and us along with him).

In situations like this there is always a chance that down the line you find out that the main character survived because they were "chosen" because they were special and it all becomes a bit lame.

I'd rather have the Regular-Joe-who-just-got-lucky explanation.

post #82 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I guess the mass media coverage paid off ...

Nielsen Earthquakes
'Walking Dead' a Monster Smash
By James Hibberd, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - November 1st, 2010

AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=60612

post #83 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Wow, those are impressive numbers. I wonder what that might mean for Rubicon's survival?
post #84 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 183
^^^ Since "Rubicon" barely got a 0.2 in the 19-49 demo and "Mad Men" routinely got around 2 million viewers (lots more when you added downloads, DVR, encore ratings, etc.) I think I know what AMC will do: MORE BRAINS!!!
post #85 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

So how do zombies digest brains and other bits of flesh?

Similarly, my wife always asks how do they bite thru the skull?
I just answer, well it's not supposed to be a documentary.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #86 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Since "Rubicon" barely got a 0.2 in the 19-49 demo and "Mad Men" routinely got around 2 million viewers (lots more when you added downloads, DVR, encore ratings, etc.) I think I know what AMC will do: MORE BRAINS!!!

Yes I know, but I'm still hoping...
post #87 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiskull View Post

I'm not sure I buy the guy in the hospital bed surviving without food or water for what would have to be a few days.

Rule of thumb: 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Your mileage may vary, potentially a LOT based on physical condition, circumstances, and of course the presence of flesh-eating ZOMBIES.

He was hooked up to an IV, but either there was one last nurse still around a day or so ago, or it was the slowest IV drip in history. A single bag of IV fluid usually lasts hours, not days.
post #88 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes I know, but I'm still hoping...

I hope so, too. Hopefully AMC will have the courage to give Rubicon another go.
post #89 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I enjoyed the pilot and will watch more, but the end scene with the horse dismemberment was disturbing to me. I dont care if they show a human being torn apart as this is expected, but not animals-go figure.

Tonight I have to take the recording and edit out the commercials and put the ts on a thumb drive for my brother to watch since he does not have cable and would really like it I think.
post #90 of 6690 Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 189
As a reader of the comic, I was very impressed -- both by the show's faithfulness to the source, and by the ways it expanded upon and enriched it.

The "feel" -- as generated through cinematography (vast tracts of emptiness and the visualization of a world recently vacated), through sound (silence and stillness, punctuated occasionally by a lone zombie's guttural vocalizations), through acting (the disbelief, the slow acceptance, the horror overcome by desensitization, the unwillingness to lose all hope) -- was very effective, and very affecting. Very strong emotional resonance.

The zombies. The book zombies have no cerebral activity, no purpose, no memory, nothing but apparently autonomic responses to certain stimuli. The show zombies apparently are a bit different. In the book, Morgan's zombie wife would not be attached to her own house in any way. In other words, the book is "not about the zombies," but maybe the show will be, at least a little.

The characters. So far, so perfect. The book is a soap opera/melodrama with zombies, and there's no reason to expect the show to be any different, although it will probably have more action in it.

What will be interesting is how long the show can stick to the storyline of the book. I think about "True Blood" which has drifted quite a bit, particularly in terms of characters' fates, and wonder whether that might happen here. Although IMO the source material here is much stronger than the Harris books are.

But so far, I loved everything that was changed or expanded from the books, and found that having read them in no way detracted from the fun and drama of watching the show. I thought it was brilliant.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page