post #901 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I thought the last 15 minutes of that episode were terrible.

We are expected to believe that in the space of one minute Shane went from "Take the medicine and go I can't make it ..." to "It's you or me bro!"

If Shane hadn't been trying to help Otis out throughout the entire episode there may have been a precedent or indication but apparently Shane just changed his mind on a dime just to give his character a motivation to exist in future episodes.

I may have done the same thing thinking at first all I want is the supplies to get to the boy, but then I would have said to myself what the **** is wrong with me? I'll just leave this fat ass for food while I get away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

Why wouldn't he have just shot the guy in the head to begin with, to save him the horror of being ripped apart and devoured alive? Seems like that would have been more humane.

I would imagine that he shot him in the leg because shooting him in the head would have killed him and the zombies prefer live meat. Because the shot to the leg left Otis alive pretty much every zombie in the area went right for him. If he had killed him then some of them probably still would have gone after the live food (Shane) who was in no position to fend off any more attackers.
post #903 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Next week 11/06 after ep4 they dont have a talking dead show scheduled....i wonder why.

The first three episodes will air on Sundays at 11:00 pm after the encore presentation of The Walking Dead episode, and then move to Fridays at 11:00 pm beginning November 11, 2011.
post #904 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

The best episode yet in my opinion, perfect acting-good writing and outstanding direction.

Totally agree. This was the episode I've been waiting for. Not just the ending, which I found totally believable (remember how Shane abandoned Rick in the hospital). There was a sense of dread through the whole episode, something only the very best horror films acheive. In fact, I'd go as far as to say this was the best thing I've seen in the horror genre since The Descent...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #905 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 94
People wearing camouflage hats are the equivalent of red shirts in star trek.

BTW camouflage is brad paisleys great new song #27 on billboard after only 4 weeks.

post #906 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

We are expected to believe that in the space of one minute Shane went from "Take the medicine and go I can't make it ..." to "It's you or me bro!"

If Shane hadn't been trying to help Otis out throughout the entire episode there may have been a precedent or indication but apparently Shane just changed his mind on a dime just to give his character a motivation to exist in future episodes.

Actually I think it makes perfect sense. The mission was to get the equipment back to save Carl. It became clear that without ammunition and both hurt that they would both die as would Carl. He made a strategic choice to save Carl. The choice he made is one that is causing him the mental anguish you see at the (beginning) and end of the episode. It wasn't an easy decision and one that he will have to live with.
He wouldn't have said "I'm sorry" before he shot Otis. He wouldn't have been as upset by seeing the grieving wife. He wouldn't have needed to transform himself by shaving his head he had been an easy decision. Think Sophie's Choice.
post #907 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

He's always brave to a point then turns into a coward. I wasn't surprised in the least. He left Rick at the hospital and then last night's shooting just confirmed what I already knew. If it comes down to Shane or someone else Shane is always going to win. He can tell himself all he wants that it was "for the kid" but deep inside he knows the real truth. Thus, the shaving of the hair. He probably still tries to convince himselt that he left Rick because he was already dead. But then he wouldn't have pushed the hospital bed in front of the door if he really thought Rick was dead

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #908 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

+1 This was totally out of character and from out of the blue. I liked Otis and hated to see him become Zombie food. They really could have developed his character's storyline. What a shame.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #909 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
It seems like every comment about this episode is just concerns the last 10 minutes. How about the other 50 of the episode? Did you "love" it when...

-Lori changes her mind 3 times about the life of her son?
-The Redneck walks in circles looking for the lost girl, shoots a zombie in the head with an arrow (again)
-The dumb blond doesn't know if she wants to commit suicide (still)?
-Old man sits as "lookout" on the roof of his RV and mumbles some crap (again).
-Short hair lady is worthless and simply cries about her daughter.
-Black Guy gets his arm repaired (again? That arm could get it's own spin-off show)
-Asian kid could be a cardboard cut out, as always he does nothing (he gets paid for this acting?)

I agree that the end of the episode was dramatic, but most of it was boring.
post #910 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

It seems like every comment about this episode is just concerns the last 10 minutes. How about the other 50 of the episode? Did you "love" it when...

-The Redneck walks in circles looking for the lost girl, shoots a zombie in the head with an arrow (again)
-Black Guy gets his arm repaired (again? That arm could get it's own spin-off show)
-Asian kid could be a cardboard cut out, as always he does nothing (he gets paid for this acting?)

That's pretty much it. The drama on this show is pretty slogged down. Stick to slavering zombies.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #911 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I thought it was interesting how they gave the impression that he had been bitten at first, until they showed the flashback of what happened.

That's what I though at first...then it went from bad to worse.
post #912 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

LOL funny....except you forgot the Main Plot of being Chased by zombies in a school between the (again) scenes.

I like the continunity and character development (these people have names)- its was a good contrast to the action.
post #913 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
and the lost girl is still......lost.
post #914 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
It looks like they'll press the Sophia plotline in the next episode. Although it has been several episodes it has only been what, 2 or 3 days since she went missing?
post #915 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Love to hate people whining about a zombie TV Series.. it's Drama-Fiction.. what else do they want?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #916 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Totally agree. This was the episode I've been waiting for. Not just the ending, which I found totally believable (remember how Shane abandoned Rick in the hospital). T

He left Rick in the hospital because Rick was in a coma, lying in a bed and had an IV. It's not as if he could get him out that's why he barricaded him in the room. So at least he barricaded the room - and in effect saved his life.

The ending to this was just bull. As I said in one minute Shane went from willing to sacrifice himself to shoointg Otis and then beating him up.

What made this more stupid was the fact they were not in any imminent danger. They were hopping away and they could still have made it. They were only running around a school to get back to their truck. It's not as if they were stranded in the middle of nowhere. Not shooting randomly into the crowd might have saved them some ammo too.

In contrast 20 minutes earlier when the situation was worse (trapped in a gym, surrounded) Shane makes sure Otis makes it. He could have just let him die then.

post #917 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

With the way the zombies tend to completely devour their prey it makes me wonder how new zombies come to be. I know we've never been told the "rules" but I'm sure if you've been completely ripped apart (like Shane's "friend" last night) then I can't see any way you could come back as a zombie. How many times did a zombie just bite someone gently and then walk away?

As long as the brain stem is still intact they will be a zombie.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #918 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ending to this was just bull. As I said in one minute Shane went from willing to sacrifice himself to shoointg Otis and then beating him up.

What made this more stupid was the fact they were not in any imminent danger.

I understand your argument, it makes some sense.

But, that's what makes for good tv and characters - being illogical and unpredictable-like real people are.

Not in any imminent danger? - while being chased by the Zombie Horde? really........
post #919 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

As long as the brain stem is still intact they will be a zombie.

Yeah, and I have to add...Zombies with a torso / digestive tract just keep on keepin' on.
post #920 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I'll have to check out the History channel thing but I seem to recall that the "28 Days Later" commentary mentioned that they contacted some medical experts to find what kind of conditions might create a realistic zombie like character. I would think that if the brain were damaged except for the reptilian brain you might get that kind of behavior or get David Icke creatures.
post #921 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Evidently if you hurt your leg you're then slower than a zombie.
post #922 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just a few plot points stretched into a 40 minute show. Lots of shots of the grieving parents going over and over how sorry they were about everything, then the problematic ending.

I've certainly seen better shows in the series than this one.

I do like the way the use the cicada calls in the movie's background. It was a good, noisy summer for cicadas. I could go out in the back yard and hear call and response from one tree to another.

CW Hinkle
post #923 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Why should Shane really care about Otis anyway, Otis shooting the boy started the mess to begin with. 2 out of 3 lived, that's a win.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #924 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I understand your argument, it makes some sense.

But, that's what makes for good tv and characters - being illogical and unpredictable-like real people are.

Not in any imminent danger? - while being chased by the Zombie Horde? really........

I will let Gabe sum up an answer to your question:
"They're running towards the truck and the zombies are behind them, which I guess is a problem although they seriously look like they're lagging pretty far behind and the boys are going to make it just fine. But then Shane says I'm sorry, and shoots the fat man in the leg. Oh Shane. This is JUST like the time that you stole the principal's car and drove it into the field and put grain in it. So funny. We'll all be telling the story of the time you shot the fat man in the leg, and Lori will be like not again! So Shane shoots the man and then wrestles with him and the zombies are coming and it really seems like they could have spent the same amount of time RUNNING and it would have worked out."
http://videogum.com/403582/the-walki...cut/tv/recaps/

I have to agree with one of the comments in that review. These first 3 episodes really should have been condensed into the 90 minute first episode.

That being said, we are finally getting some character development other than daryl. yay! I enjoyed last nights episode quite a bit.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #925 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In the scope of the episode that was the best position they had been in.

They were in the open, on a straight road with clear visibility, heading towards the truck and with a good distance between them and the zombies.

Compared to the rest of the episode where they had been boxed in by chainlink fences, narrow corridors in a locked building and been within whisper distance of the dead multiple times.

So when escape is most likely Shane chooses that time to go wrasslin'.

Also funny is that in the previous scene Otis is actually helping Shane walk on his inconsistently damaged bad leg, so by shooting Otis he actually made it more difficult for himself to hop out of trouble.

post #926 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

http://videogum.com/403582/the-walki...cut/tv/recaps/

I have to agree with one of the comments in that review. These first 3 episodes really should have been condensed into the 90 minute first episode.

That sums it up pretty well.

Volkoff's daughter must like nice Asian boys because she completely ignored Shane when he appeared. No instant love connection there.

Maybe if Daryl can get the rest of the RV Posse to visit there'll be love triangle/quadrangle complications.

post #927 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

+1 This was totally out of character and from out of the blue. I liked Otis and hated to see him become Zombie food. They really could have developed his character's storyline. What a shame.

Shane has almost killed Rick and almost raped Lori. Shane is unstable, so I didn't see him acting out of character. Did it make sense for him to do what he did? No, but neither did the time he almost shot Rick or the time he almost raped Lori. And those were his best friend and a woman he seemingly loved. Otis was some ******* that shot his best friend's kid, for whom Shane had been a surrogate father for a period of months.

If he and Otis hobble off, then maybe they survive, but they certainly lead the zombies back to the farm. If Shane sacrifices Otis, then Shane definitely survives and the zombies probably lose his trail. It wasn't a humane thing to do, but it was plausible and in-character. And, if I were in Shane's position, I know I would've had this thought a few times: Otis is a big guy. If he goes down, he's a big meal for a lot of zombies. That's going to buy me a lot of time.

Now, I agree with anyone who has criticism of the nonsense between Rick and Lori about Carl's life. But this show has consistently written women terribly, so I'm not surprised they'd decide to have a mother flip-flop on whether her son should live. It's ridiculous, but I've given up hope that the writers have any idea how write women.
post #928 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

And, if I were in Shane's position, I know I would've had this thought a few times: Otis is a big guy. If he goes down, he's a big meal for a lot of zombies. That's going to buy me a lot of time.

Well he clearly wasn't thinking about that while this episode was in progress until two minute before the show was over.

Plus it's not as if all the zombies in the world are behind them. So now Shane has no ammo, a bad leg, weighed down by supplies and is trying to get to the truck without being surprised by anything. Which is a lot easier to deal with when you have two people than one. And considering how bad Shane's peripheral vision is that he was getting startled by surprise hordes through the episode, the chances of him tripping over one because he wasn't looking were highly likely.

post #929 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Just minutes before Shane shoots Otis, he (Otis) was already out of breath and needed to stop at the fence. How was he going to easily make it the rest of the way like some of you are suggesting? Shane is definitely unstable and all of his character development up to this episode points to that fact.
post #930 of 6222 Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Just minutes before Shane shoots Otis, he (Otis) was already out of breath and needed to stop at the fence. How was he going to easily make it the rest of the way like some of you are suggesting? Shane is definitely unstable and all of his character development up to this episode points to that fact.

They were both exhausted plus Shane was hurt. They had been moving around for a while and it looked like neither of them were going to make it at that point. What he did makes perfect sense. Especially since OTIS wasn't part of his group so he had no attachment to him or morale obligation to him.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page