"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3520Likes

Old 11-30-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Anyone with Time Warner having issues with picture quality? I've noticed this on the last three episodes, but it didn't seem to be happening before. Motion is jerky and juddery, especially panning. I don't think it's my TV because everything else I watch is perfect, even the commercials during TWD are great, it's just the program. On top of that, the sound is much quieter. I normally watch TV around -18 on my AVR, but for this show, I have to crank it up to at least -14. Not sure what is going on, but the PQ is really lacking, and the sound is not far behind.
Notify your local cable company. It still looks fine (well, as good as it ever has) on our local TWC system.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Notify your local cable company. It still looks fine (well, as good as it ever has) on our local TWC system.
Thanks, I'll have to give them a call. It's just weird that everything else looks great, even other shows on AMC. It's just this one show
Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2950 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to give them a call. It's just weird that everything else looks great, even other shows on AMC. It's just this one show
It's mostly because the show is intentionally pretty grainy and grainy video is much harder to compress to lowish bitrates, especially with MPEG-2. Complaining will be pointless since they're not going to change their bitrate or encoder settings, or how many channels of programming they're squeezing into a QAM RF channel, but maybe it will be cathartic for you.
leebo likes this.

Last edited by Stereodude; 11-30-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Well, we knew the Morgan/Wolf situation would jeopardize more lives. It's doubtful, but hopefully this will be enough to make Morgan realize his stance has to change.

Piss poor writing. Rick conveniently remembers the "cover yourselves in walker guts" trick now, but no one thought to use it to go out the sewers like Maggie attempted to and use noise to draw the walkers away from Alexandria? Of course, not enough suspense/drama without the walkers getting into the walls.
Well, I know TWD advances the plot at a glacial pace, but even I was surprised at how little progress the plot made in the "hour". Basically the walkers came in through the opening and moved a few hundred yards and people got away from them. Oh, and they managed to presumably kill someone off. Someone we don't really care about all that much. Whoopteedoo...
Old 11-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well, I know TWD advances the plot at a glacial pace, but even I was surprised at how little progress the plot made in the "hour". Basically the walkers came in through the opening and moved a few hundred yards and people got away from them. Oh, and they managed to presumably kill someone off. Someone we don't really care about all that much. Whoopteedoo...
We all have the best children in the world, don't we? Getting that out of the way, I feel like I'm complaining about one of my kids. I'll just through it out there. MY KID SUCKS! Oh, I mean the first half of this season did. Hopefully the second half of the season offers some redemption.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It's mostly because the show is intentionally pretty grainy and grainy video is much harder to compress to lowish bitrates, especially with MPEG-2. Complaining will be pointless since they're not going to change their bitrate or encoder settings, or how many channels of programming they're squeezing into a QAM RF channel, but maybe it will be cathartic for you.
I didn't start watching this show until recently, so I got seasons 1-5 on blu-ray. Let's just say, it's a big difference in quality from "HD" cable.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I still don't understand how a hairdresser's kid can have such a bad haircut. Maybe he asked for a 3 Stooges cut. After all, he kept playing that Tiny Tim record.

It was a slow episode even though there was a major event, but I liked the scenes between Deanna and Rick and Michonne. Did Deanna save a bullet for herself after she shot at the Walkers in the end?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

I'm in NYC using sucky TW, I can them sucky for other reasons beside what you're issue is, but I don't recall seeing and picture problems with TWD I did see some with Into the Badlands, a few times.

DJoel
Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 757
I liked the mid-season finale...but the best part of the episode actually occurred in a special 2 minute prologue scene which aired after the show during 'Into the Badlands'...and yes they set up the introduction of Negan!!

actually the best part of the episode was the Carol vs Morgan standoff...wasn't expecting that...I actually thought Carol was going to kill him...I like the actor playing that Wolf that Morgan kept prisoner...I thought that this first half of Season 6 was going to focus more on the Wolves but we barely saw them...I thought the show would handle the Wolves like they did with Terminus and quickly wrap up this threat within the first 8 episodes...but now the back half of Season 6 will have both Negan's group and the Wolves

here's the 2 minute prologue in case anyone missed it...

Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Did Deanna's son who tried to get out the compound using the rope, made the church come down, or helped come down sooner?

I know it was burnt pretty bad, and zombies brushing up against it doesn't help the building's integrity either..
Old 11-30-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Did Deanna's son who tried to get out the compound using the rope, made the church come down, or helped come down sooner?

I know it was burnt pretty bad, and zombies brushing up against it doesn't help the building's integrity either..
No, it was some other building with a metal roof.

Last edited by Stereodude; 11-30-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Question
Did Deanna's son help take down the church that brought down the gate, when he tried to tither out the compound? I know the build's integrity was on the shot, zombies brushing up against it did probably help either, but was wondering if his little stunt did the job of toppling it to the ground!

Djoel
phildaant likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2402 Post(s)
Liked: 3188
Morgan better hope he wakes up before Carol. I wouldn't miss him on the show at this point. Dude's a kook.

Speaking of bad writing - Rosie and Tara had nothing to gain by surrendering their weapons. Dumb.

Even dumber was Wolfie leaving them alive. Completely out of character. Up to this point, all Wolfs are cold blooded killers who kill (for sport!) first and don't bother asking questions later. Now he's got all the weapons, two of his strongest opponents passed out on the floor, and he backs out the door with a hostage? Sure.
Sonyad, gwsat, phildaant and 1 others like this.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 523
These people can all shoot a Walker between the eyes at 20 paces, every time. I know we've seen Tara do it. I expected her to take the shot; that "W" makes a nice clear target.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Characters on TV shows always give up their weapons, which makes no sense at all. In RL, I understand that police are trained never to do that and always to take the shot, even through the hostage if necessary.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Old 11-30-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It was like a Law & Order SVU writer dropped in. Did CDB expect a wrongful death lawsuit if they shot Wolfie? Tara & Rosita just dealt with the wolf carnage. Tara just finished a load of headshots while hanging off a fence and yet they were intimidated by a knife? This is some bs writing.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
thought amc dropped the ball here on many accounts....first of by letting the post credit scene run through another show...second sending out promo photos of the rest of the cast, when they weren't even mentioned or scene..spencer..aaron, heath were in the promo pieces but not shown...where was aaron's partner and also who was watching the injured guy as well?

also they have a great opportunity to wipe out some of these alexandria red-shirts, but not one on screen human death....would be better to go out with a bang during the mid season finale than open up with a bang next february...
wildgator25 likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7enptone View Post
thought amc dropped the ball here on many accounts....first of by letting the post credit scene run through another show...second sending out promo photos of the rest of the cast, when they weren't even mentioned or scene..spencer..aaron, heath were in the promo pieces but not shown...where was aaron's partner and also who was watching the injured guy as well?

Also they have a great opportunity to wipe out some of these alexandria red-shirts, but not one on screen human death....would be better to go out with a bang during the mid season finale than open up with a bang next february...
i couldn't agree more to every word you spoke! Preach!:d
phildaant likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The mid season finale was alright. It was kind of a happy ending, where they were all holding hands and walking. A bit lame.

No longer looking straight into a flashlight. Calibrate!
2014 Vizio P60 1.3.26-UHD Settings.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I know the little boy was suppose to be depressed (listening to Tiny Tim on a phonograph?) but what was with the dark circles under his eyes?

Did he accidentally "walk into something" or "fall down?"

Maybe the porch dick was laying his hands on more than mommy.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

I was also wondering of the same thing with the baggy eyes. At first, I thought the he got bitten, but nah. He didn't really struggle when they left the house either.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What do you suppose was the point of the business with the ants?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Oh YEAH, I didn't understand that also. Were they real ants or CGI?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2402 Post(s)
Liked: 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Seemed like fairly heavy handed symbolism for the walkers marching in and eating Alexandria's "cookie". Gimple is no David Lynch.
Keenan likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
Oh YEAH, I didn't understand that also. Were they real ants or CGI?
CGI, I assume. It's difficult to herd ants or get them to march on cue.
Ph8te likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 3816
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I know the little boy was suppose to be depressed (listening to Tiny Tim on a phonograph?) but what was with the dark circles under his eyes?

Did he accidentally "walk into something" or "fall down?"

Maybe the porch dick was laying his hands on more than mommy.

Bags/dark circles aka he hasn't been sleeping as he's been obsessing over not being safe. This was to show his mental state at the time to show he's even more unstable than normal.

Sent from nowhere
aaronwt, hall and gwsat like this.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
I was also wondering of the same thing with the baggy eyes. At first, I thought the he got bitten, but nah. He didn't really struggle when they left the house either.
Nay, the baggy eyes are just from not sleeping. He's afraid of the Boogey men..thanks Carol I'm sure sleep won't be a problem for him in the 2nd half as I see him being Walker chum Which part of be quiet and act brave didn't he get?
aaronwt and RLBURNSIDE like this.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 470
That kid was beyond annoying. Some people who familiar with the comics were expecting Carl to be shot, which may happens the other side of the break, but it seems the show takes a few liberties[like the Governor who didn't take Rick's hand] so it may not happens at all. The fight between Ron and Carl did point to that direction, but it never happened. The second leg of the season should be interesting indeed.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
Old 11-30-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
That kid was beyond annoying. Some people who familiar with the comics were expecting Carl to be shot, which may happens the other side of the break, but it seems the show takes a few liberties[like the Governor who didn't take Rick's hand] so it may not happens at all. The fight between Ron and Carl did point to that direction, but it never happened. The second leg of the season should be interesting indeed.
Yeah then Carl went and pulled a Glenn and lied about it after. But he did have one of the two the best line of the show. 1st was Deanna’s Oh **** and Carl's Your dad was an *******

LOL filters
Old 11-30-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Morgan better hope he wakes up before Carol. I wouldn't miss him on the show at this point. Dude's a kook.

Speaking of bad writing - Rosie and Tara had nothing to gain by surrendering their weapons. Dumb.

Even dumber was Wolfie leaving them alive. Completely out of character. Up to this point, all Wolfs are cold blooded killers who kill (for sport!) first and don't bother asking questions later. Now he's got all the weapons, two of his strongest opponents passed out on the floor, and he backs out the door with a hostage? Sure.
I couldn't agree more about the implausibility of the girls' decision to turn their guns over to the escaped wolf. They were less that ten feet from the guy, so I saw no reason why even a so so pistol shooter wouldn't have been able to put a round between the guy's eyes and rescue the doctor. The way it played out had me shouting, "Bullsh*t!" (literally.) As bad as turning over the guns was, the Wolf's decision to leave everybody alive and take the doctor with him was beyond preposterous. I know we should expect that sort of thing in this silliest of silly shows but all to that irritated me nonetheless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows