"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2916Likes

Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post
Yeah, as soon as I saw the shot of the ants headed for the cookie, I turned to my wife and said:
"I guess that's supposed to represent the walkers huh?"
I think there is a bit more to it if you were paying attention. It looked more to me like the kid was purposely feeding the ants; the same creepy kid who was drawing pictures of zombies eating a person tied to a tree. He left his empty plate out on the stairs right at the beginning, conspicuously absent a cookie. That wasn't just to fill time, the ants definitely represent zombies but where the cookie came from and what was happening to it was the real foreshadowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
As a comicbook reader I can tell you, that this would not be very wise, cause Season 7 will be overblown with steam. You would miss the best season yet!

I do agree that the introduction of Negan and his storyline has a chance to give this show a major needed bolt of energy...I have high hopes and have been looking forward to his arrival for awhile now...his story will really only take place next season as I hear he will only be introduced in the season finale of Season 6...plus Jeffrey Dean Morgan is genius casting!

to each his own but like gwsat stated a few posts back, Game of Thrones is on a whole nother level (is nother an actual word?)...in my opinion it's the best show ever...yes Season 5 was the weakest season of the show but a weak season of GoT is still better then 98% of other shows
gwsat likes this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 12-02-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
I think there is a bit more to it if you were paying attention. It looked more to me like the kid was purposely feeding the ants; the same creepy kid who was drawing pictures of zombies eating a person tied to a tree. He left his empty plate out on the stairs right at the beginning, conspicuously absent a cookie. That wasn't just to fill time, the ants definitely represent zombies but where the cookie came from and what was happening to it was the real foreshadowing.
I thought the discarded cookie was Sam's commentary on his mom's cookies as opposed to Carole's cookies.
djb61230 likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
I thought the discarded cookie was Sam's commentary on his mom's cookies as opposed to Carole's cookies.
And if Sam's plan works, he willl soon shout at his mother: "This is what you get for baking me these **** like of cookies!!!"

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
6 seasons in I'm wondering if it's time to set an end date for the show...maybe 2-3 more seasons...ignoring ratings most shows have an average shelf life of 5 seasons...will they really keep going for 10+ seasons?...ratings have fallen a bit this season so maybe a bigger dropoff is looming...I'm starting to get burnt out on the show and the same basic formula every year...the group keeps looking for a safe haven that doesn't exist...and with no hope for a cure there doesn't seem to be any natural end-point
kirkman and the show runners have stated that if the comic were to end right now, and the show catch up to it, they would have enough material to last to season 12. As long as advertisers keep sponsoring the show it will go on.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
What I would hope for is for a more creative plotline to emerge, something that would represent some forward momentum. As it is, they're kind of recylcing the same plotlines over and over. Alexandria = Woodbury. Negan = Governor. Wolves = Terminites or any number of other evil groups. The Georgia woods = Virginia woods. Etc.

I enjoy the show, but I can also see myself starting to drift away if next year is just more of the same.
taxman48 likes this.

Last edited by archiguy; 12-03-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
What I would hope for is for a more creative plotline to emerge, something that would represent some forward momentum. As it is, they're kind of recylcing the same plotlines over and over. Alexandria = Woodbury. Negan = Governor. Wolves = any number of other evil groups. The Georgia woods = Virginia woods. Etc.

I enjoy the show, but I can also see myself starting to drift away if next year is just more of the same.
Agreed. Since this is a horror, fantasy series, they should be able to take the plot in several more interesting directions (if not attempting to follow the comics). Maybe find the remains of the US government? I am just speculating.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I do agree that the introduction of Negan and his storyline has a chance to give this show a major needed bolt of energy...I have high hopes and have been looking forward to his arrival for awhile now...his story will really only take place next season as I hear he will only be introduced in the season finale of Season 6...plus Jeffrey Dean Morgan is genius casting!

to each his own but like gwsat stated a few posts back, Game of Thrones is on a whole nother level (is nother an actual word?)...in my opinion it's the best show ever...yes Season 5 was the weakest season of the show but a weak season of GoT is still better then 98% of other shows
I agree on both counts. The addition to the cast of Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Neegan can do nothing but improve the show and Game of Thrones is in a class by itself.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 1868
Quote:
What I would hope for is for a more creative plotline to emerge, something that would represent some forward momentum. As it is, they're kind of recylcing the same plotlines over and over. Alexandria = Woodbury. Negan = Governor. Wolves = Terminites or any number of other evil groups. The Georgia woods = Virginia woods. Etc.

I don't really have any problem with the placement of each season being a different locale .. to me, that's likely what a Real Life scenario would look like anyway .. point being, you're not safe anywhere and you may never be .. Farm / Prison / Small Town / Suburbia / etc .. that said, I think I enjoy when we are taken to an Urban setting more so than Rural ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
. that said, I think I enjoy when we are taken to an Urban setting more so than Rural ..

I'm sure it all comes down to production ease and cost. Much easier and cheaper to film in rural settings.

Not to mention, it all pretty much lines up with the comics.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I'm sure it all comes down to production ease and cost. Much easier and cheaper to film in rural settings.

Not to mention, it all pretty much lines up with the comics.
I understand why AMC does it, I just like the Urban settings better .. the show is not, as you know, a mirror image of the comics ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
My wife texted me from home to say that she noticed that Deanna is now in the cast of the CW show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I replied: WHO'S DEANNA??

Sonyad likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
"Dove under the dumpster"?
We probably have a winner, right there.

I like it much better than Nuking the Fridge...
Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I understand why AMC does it, I just like the Urban settings better .. the show is not, as you know, a mirror image of the comics ..
I guess the rationale is that cities would have higher density of people and thus, higher density of zombies.

They did have some urban settings, like the hospital where Beth died.

Most of that was cosmetic. They could explore why it might be advantageous or disadvantageous to be in a city, like access to certain resources. Maybe they clear out an abandoned Wal Mart full of food and anything else you could ever need.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Maybe find the remains of the US government? I am just speculating.
I heard they took a ship down to Cuba to hang out at Guantanamo Bay.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I guess the rationale is that cities would have higher density of people and thus, higher density of zombies.

They did have some urban settings, like the hospital where Beth died.

Most of that was cosmetic. They could explore why it might be advantageous or disadvantageous to be in a city, like access to certain resources. Maybe they clear out an abandoned Wal Mart full of food and anything else you could ever need.
Have you seen grocery stores after a hurricane or other natural disaster is announced (blizzards, floods, etc)? They are picked clean, total buying pandemonium. I actually think the "store runs" in the show are pretty unrealistic, because most of the useful supplies would already be in houses, bunkers, or otherwise squirreled away, IMO.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah but if they were preoccupied with getting food and supplies all the time, they wouldn't be able to fight the baddies.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enPtOne View Post
kirkman and the show runners have stated that if the comic were to end right now, and the show catch up to it, they would have enough material to last to season 12. As long as advertisers keep sponsoring the show it will go on.
Only enough material to last to season 12!?!?! Exactly how many comics are there? They can't be going through more than what 1 comic per half season at the current glacial pace? I bet the whole 2nd half of this season is going to be a series of episodes delving into great detail of how each one of them handles a bad case of food poising from eating without washing their hands after wearing their walker gut ponchos.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Only enough material to last to season 12!?!?! Exactly how many comics are there? They can't be going through more than what 1 comic per half season at the current glacial pace? I bet the whole 2nd half of this season is going to be a series of episodes delving into great detail of how each one of them handles a bad case of food poising from eating without washing their hands after wearing their walker gut ponchos.

They are on issue #148 . Negan showed up in issue #100 .
Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Comics - Don't they end up staying in Alexandria around 10 years??? AMC will be diverting away from that for sure if true.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Woodbury can't hold a candle to Alexandria. Alexandria is bigger, has warm water, electricity, is beautiful, liberal, open minded... And Negan will be completely(!) different than the Governor.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Anyone with Time Warner having issues with picture quality? I've noticed this on the last three episodes, but it didn't seem to be happening before. Motion is jerky and juddery, especially panning. I don't think it's my TV because everything else I watch is perfect, even the commercials during TWD are great, it's just the program. On top of that, the sound is much quieter. I normally watch TV around -18 on my AVR, but for this show, I have to crank it up to at least -14. Not sure what is going on, but the PQ is really lacking, and the sound is not far behind.
I came in here looking for others who may have noticed this. The last few weeks the video has been stuttering on AMC-HD with FIOS, just like you described it. In the past AMC has not been stellar with their PQ but they always seem to step it up when they showed their premier shows on their first run.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
Old 12-04-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Anyone with Time Warner having issues with picture quality? I've noticed this on the last three episodes, but it didn't seem to be happening before. Motion is jerky and juddery, especially panning. I don't think it's my TV because everything else I watch is perfect, even the commercials during TWD are great, it's just the program. On top of that, the sound is much quieter. I normally watch TV around -18 on my AVR, but for this show, I have to crank it up to at least -14. Not sure what is going on, but the PQ is really lacking, and the sound is not far behind.
I came in here looking for others who may have noticed this. The last few weeks the video has been stuttering on AMC-HD with FIOS, just like you described it. In the past AMC has not been stellar with their PQ but they always seem to step it up when they showed their top-shelf shows on their first run. I don't notice any audio issues.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
Old 12-04-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
I came in here looking for others who may have noticed this. The last few weeks the video has been stuttering on AMC-HD with FIOS, just like you described it. In the past AMC has not been stellar with their PQ but they always seem to step it up when they showed their top-shelf shows on their first run. I don't notice any audio issues.
Interesting. Sounds like it's not just me. One thing I did do, was change "film mode" from auto2 to auto1 on my Samsung TV. This actually seemed to help a little, but motion is still jerky. It's very strange that the beginning of the season was fine, but the past few shows have had this problem.
PooperScooper likes this.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
I came in here looking for others who may have noticed this. The last few weeks the video has been stuttering on AMC-HD with FIOS, just like you described it. In the past AMC has not been stellar with their PQ but they always seem to step it up when they showed their premier shows on their first run.
My PQ on the show has dropped from even the mediocrity that it was before .. in addition, I've had two episodes this season that were frozen on the DVR on one scene .. it recorded the whole hour, yet 45 minutes was a frozen shot .. had to re-record a repeat to get it .. Charter ..
PooperScooper likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Comics - Don't they end up staying in Alexandria around 10 years??? AMC will be diverting away from that for sure if true.
There is a 2 year time jump at issue 127. I'm only up to 140 right now myself but I don't believe there is another big jump in time.

And as far as the slow pacing between episodes, the comics can get that way too.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 43
twc customer here also and have the same jidder frozen frame lately too........
Old 12-05-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 275
The most boring show on tv

Here's an article about how bad its getting:

http://decider.com/2015/12/05/the-wa...237.1402590383

"No matter how painstakingly slowly the zombies of TWD shuffle along or how weak and fragile they are, they continue to be the lazy writer’s best option for creating upheaval in a script that’s stopped caring about a future for its world"

gwsat likes this.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah when you remember the first season episodes, the fear of the zombies was more palpable.

Especially when they're out in that encampment and they're set upon by the zombies.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Watch the first season again. It doesn't hold a candle to season six or season five.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows