"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3764Likes

post #9451 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Also, I don't know if this is actually a blooper, but at the end of episode 8, that kid was shown saying "Mom!" right after they cleared the stairs, suggesting the zombies would become alerted to their presence and attack, but when it picked up last night they completely threw that out and they made it to that clearing so they could pause and plan their next move. It's very noticeable because it kind of set up a cliffhanger.
No blooper or miss. The showed picked up a little bit after this moment. During the moment they showed at the end of the mid season they showed again, but this time they were doing the no noise/artsy rendition so you didn't hear him again. Just like when they walked to the side and all talked to each other, the kid saying Mom wasn't enough to alert the walkers, not until he freaked out completely on the little kid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
so does this mean that Morgan was right all along about people having the ability to change no matter what the circumstance?...was really one of the best themes of the episode for me...how they left that open to interpretation...did the Wolf redeem himself by saving the Doc or was it purely out of selfishness?...we'll never know the answer...on the Talking Dead after-show I also found it surprising that the actor playing the Wolf is Australian and speaks with an accent...he really did the American accent perfectly...never would have known

also good to see Father Gabriel and Morgan get over their passive phase and go back to being zombie killers
No, the Wolf didn't change, he was taking her as a prisoner. And like they said on the show, he didn't come back to save her, he came back because they needed a doctor.

Kidnapping, threats, etc. Doesn't sound like he changed at all.

His only moment of redemption came when he got bit and knew he was dead. So in that case, yes, if you are going to die any moment, people can change. Until then, he was a bad person.

post #9453 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Nah, he didn't change, he wanted to be saved and get his arm amputated by someone that knew how, he had a "doctor" handy so..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13

post #9454 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I'm pretty sure people are talking about the moment Carol shot the wolf. He was going down and during that time he is holding the zombie and tells the doc to go. So in that moment of his death he is saving the doc and "sacrificing" himself. So the question again, did he change? I think he did. For that fraction of time he was still alive.

Morgan still has not changed. He's never had a problem killing zombies. His problem is killing people. He still has not killed a living person since his Buddhist conversion.
aaronwt likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #9455 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Nah, he didn't change, he wanted to be saved and get his arm amputated by someone that knew how, he had a "doctor" handy so..
It didnt dawn on me until i saw this discussion, but I think he did change. After he saved her and was bitten, he said something to the effect of "I had a clear path to the ladder, why did I come back?" Even if having a medical person would have been valuable, I don't think Wolfpack rules include risking yourself for anyone else. Plus, when they were near the infirmary, he sacrificed himself to ensure she made it to safety.
aaronwt likes this.
post #9456 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
I couldn't tell, did Eugene really kill a zombie?
Yeah, he did! There is a scene with him hacking with a machete..

Bobby 

post #9457 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Yeah, he did! There is a scene with him hacking with a machete..
Go Eugene! LOL...

Thanks! I thought I saw him do it, but the cuts were so fast, I could barely follow them.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #9458 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
It didnt dawn on me until i saw this discussion, but I think he did change. After he saved her and was bitten, he said something to the effect of "I had a clear path to the ladder, why did I come back?" Even if having a medical person would have been valuable, I don't think Wolfpack rules include risking yourself for anyone else. Plus, when they were near the infirmary, he sacrificed himself to ensure she made it to safety.
But then he said right after that, "Or we just needed a doctor."

post #9459 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 1990
I have to echo some here on the woes of my PQ on this episode .. while it's never been stellar, Sunday was just plain bad .. none the less, wow, what an episode .. everything but the kitchen sink .. or maybe that was in there too .. .. when Daryl took out the bikers, I about jumped out of the recliner .. and it just kept hammering from that point on ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9460 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The directors like to use "filters" for "effect", which often makes the PQ look bad... Even worse when they use different ones through the same episode.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
post #9461 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5228 Post(s)
Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
As good as this week's episode was, I'm considering moving on from the show. I am developing a bad case of Walking Dead fatigue. Every truly great TV series I can think of wrapped up after 5 or 6 seasons. The Walking Dead, though, is putting on 16 widely spread out shows this season, another 16 for Season 7 have been announced, and there is still no end of sight. Does this make anybody else think of the Law & Order franchise? ...........
My favorite seasons for Law and Order were the last few. I was pissed when it got cancelled since I hadn't enjoyed it so much in years.
I'm still enjoying TWD. And this last episode was one of the best!

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9462 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
The directors like to use "filters" for "effect", which often makes the PQ look bad... Even worse when they use different ones through the same episode.
The problem is the compression that most cable/satellite operators apply to their signal. Artistic "film-like grain" effects mean that every pixel in the frame is moving all the time, and the compression algorithms just can't keep up. So we get a hazy, muddy mess. This is why this show, in particular, looks so much better on Blu-ray.

I wonder if TWD's production staff have ever actually watched the show as it airs, the way we do.
Tack likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #9463 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
The problem is the compression that most cable/satellite operators apply to their signal. Artistic "film-like grain" effects mean that every pixel in the frame is moving all the time, and the compression algorithms just can't keep up. So we get a hazy, muddy mess. This is why this show, in particular, looks so much better on Blu-ray.

I wonder if TWD's production staff have ever actually watched the show as it airs, the way we do.

The odd thing for me is, other AMC shows look great .... it's just WD that looks like a serial reel from the 1960's .. .. and yes, the BD's are excellent ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9464 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Love the WD....but does anyone else think the upscaling quality of this show is subpar on a 4K TV? I have Time Warner Cable and have watched this on my LG 55" EG 9600 OLED and my 75" Sony 940C and Walking Dead in particular just doesn't seem to upscale that great on either compared to other HD shows....
It looks terrible on my 65" JS8500 through Verizon Fios. Sometimes I will watch it upstairs on my Samsung Plasma 1080 C8000, much better quality on that
post #9465 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Honestly this show is loosing its appeal to me, in fact I stopped watching just before Glenn whole situation last season and only recently felt the desire to catch up which those remaining episodes was ehhh, it feels very drawn out and repetitive... with the exception of this most recent episode which implies that we finally might see a different story verses finding home, destroying home, wash and repeat....
esoteradactyl likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L/R), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.2 Source: HTPC, Roku 4, Nexus Player, Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Bluray Player
post #9466 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post
The Horror, the Horror....

How does this show keep that anything can happen, nobody is safe tension after all these years...?

Excellent Episode...Poor Rick..
So very true. I still love it!
post #9467 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
As good as this week's episode was, I'm considering moving on from the show. I am developing a bad case of Walking Dead fatigue. Every truly great TV series I can think of wrapped up after 5 or 6 seasons. The Walking Dead, though, is putting on 16 widely spread out shows this season, another 16 for Season 7 have been announced, and there is still no end of sight. Does this make anybody else think of the Law & Order franchise? The interminable nature of the show makes me want to cry, "Enough already!" Much of the show is wonderful but the terminal dumbness of its central premise is becoming harder for me to accept with each new episode. Maybe, I'll get over it, I hope so, but right this minute I am close, very close, to bailing out.

Can't say I agree here at all. The show is as great as ever for me. I am loving it. There is this tendency here to want every good/great show "over" sooner rather than slightly fade. I have never been in that camp, and even so, I think this show remains excellent.
post #9468 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Honestly this show is loosing its appeal to me, in fact I stopped watching just before Glenn whole situation last season and only recently felt the desire to catch up which those remaining episodes was ehhh, it feels very drawn out and repetitive... with the exception of this most recent episode which implies that we finally might see a different story verses finding home, destroying home, wash and repeat....
As with any show I watch regularly, it has it's ups and downs .. and yes, it's tough, I'm sure, to come up with new ideas on a show of this type .. sometimes, it's character investment that keeps a fan viewing, and I fall squarely into that camp ..

That said, anyone on the fence should seriously consider hanging in there until Negan shows .. I assure you, it's going to add ..
Daniel Chaves likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #9469 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 02:33 PM

As an addendum to my earlier PQ post .. I try to take into consideration that WD is shot on 16mm film .. however, as a long time advanced amateur photographer, the Arriflex 416 should provide better PQ on a TV show than what I'm seeing, and the BD's prove it ..

Uncle Willie

post #9470 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
I couldn't tell, did Eugene really kill a zombie?
Many I think!
Turrican4D and MrEmoto like this.
post #9471 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 894
I'll continue watching the show, but I'm not real crazy about this season. One thing for sure though, it beats watching them marching through the same woods each week.
post #9472 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Also, I don't know if this is actually a blooper, but at the end of episode 8, that kid was shown saying "Mom!" right after they cleared the stairs, suggesting the zombies would become alerted to their presence and attack, but when it picked up last night they completely threw that out and they made it to that clearing so they could pause and plan their next move. It's very noticeable because it kind of set up a cliffhanger.
It wasn't a blooper. It was a load of b.s. Hated this episode. How many times did they stop and chat? Look how they openly shuffled Judith. Rick who doesn't trust the padre, handed over Judith without a threat and didn't even follow their progress longer than a few seconds.

Why did it take them til evening to walk down the block? If a person is being eaten alive, they are going to let go of their ring around the rosie formation and engage in some defensive or offensive moves. Anyway, I'm glad that family is gone.

Enid long lost stares and chat with Glenn was an annoyance and a time waster when they should be busy.

I'll have to watch this and a few other episodes again, but is there some reason Maggie couldn't access the ledge Enid just came from even if she's injured. With Wolfie and Olivia talking with their heads visible to the zombies and the rest of the gang having chats outside, it was silly to have the walkers attempting to dislodge the platform (for hours it seems) to get to Maggie, who shouldn't even be visible.

Very cheesy episode to me. Enjoyed Negan's group getting "blowed up" but it was fake. Carl getting shot was exciting. Reminded me of the Breaking Bad Face Off episode. I don't read the comics so I though he was a goner. Rick facing the walkers alone was too much. Why plan much of anything when it's that easy and the walkers politely hold back to let everyone have their turn.
post #9473 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Rick would have lost his edge if he got to tap Jessie regularly.

Now he can maintain his angry homicidal edge unless another woman from Alexandria takes care of him.
post #9474 of 11414 Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Yeah they seem to be going in circles though presumably Negan will raise the bar on the evil humans which the group must defeat.

Once Negan is dispatched, they'll encounter a bigger villain, take him down, etc. along the way, characters will come and go.

They jumped the shark with the Glen escape. Hell if he could get out of that situation, why not have other popular regular characters go through some close escapes? They could do that every time they wanted a cliffhanger.
post #9475 of 11414 Old 02-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Very cheesy episode to me. Enjoyed Negan's group getting "blowed up" but it was fake.
What do you mean? They didn't blow up the actors? What a load of sh. I won't watch it anymore.
hall likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #9476 of 11414 Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
It wasn't a blooper. It was a load of b.s. Hated this episode. How many times did they stop and chat? Look how they openly shuffled Judith. Rick who doesn't trust the padre, handed over Judith without a threat and didn't even follow their progress longer than a few seconds.

Why did it take them til evening to walk down the block? If a person is being eaten alive, they are going to let go of their ring around the rosie formation and engage in some defensive or offensive moves. Anyway, I'm glad that family is gone.

Enid long lost stares and chat with Glenn was an annoyance and a time waster when they should be busy.

I'll have to watch this and a few other episodes again, but is there some reason Maggie couldn't access the ledge Enid just came from even if she's injured. With Wolfie and Olivia talking with their heads visible to the zombies and the rest of the gang having chats outside, it was silly to have the walkers attempting to dislodge the platform (for hours it seems) to get to Maggie, who shouldn't even be visible.

Very cheesy episode to me. Enjoyed Negan's group getting "blowed up" but it was fake. Carl getting shot was exciting. Reminded me of the Breaking Bad Face Off episode. I don't read the comics so I though he was a goner. Rick facing the walkers alone was too much. Why plan much of anything when it's that easy and the walkers politely hold back to let everyone have their turn.
Just stop watching, if you obviously don't get it.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #9477 of 11414 Old 02-17-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
What do you mean? They didn't blow up the actors? What a load of sh. I won't watch it anymore.
It was convenient kill, but it didn't make sense that none of the dudes saw or heard Daryl kill their buddy, who was shown lying on the ground somewhat pass the back of the truck. Nor did any of them see Daryl set up the shot which was unbelievable. However I was weary of those dudes as soon as they showed up so I was happy they wiped out that group in a blazing fashion.
shivaji likes this.
post #9478 of 11414 Old 02-17-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 3308
Quote:
It was convenient kill, but it didn't make sense that none of the dudes saw or heard Daryl kill their buddy, who was shown lying on the ground somewhat pass the back of the truck. Nor did any of them see Daryl set up the shot which was unbelievable. However I was weary of those dudes as soon as they showed up so I was happy they wiped out that group in a blazing fashion.
It was kind of silly, since one presumes if an RPG hits a motorcycle 10 or 15 feet in front of you and explodes with enough force to essentially vaporize all them dudes and their bikes, you're not coming out of that blast unscathed. But... Tee-Vee! Yea!
post #9479 of 11414 Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Just stop watching, if you obviously don't get it.
You want to give me orders on what to watch because I dared to express an opinion on this episode contrary to yours? Kindly take that mindset somewhere else.
post #9480 of 11414 Old 02-17-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It was kind of silly, since one presumes if an RPG hits a motorcycle 10 or 15 feet in front of you and explodes with enough force to essentially vaporize all them dudes and their bikes, you're not coming out of that blast unscathed. But... Tee-Vee! Yea!

It was that new fangled RPG that was designed to be selective, developed just prior to the Apocalypse ..

Personally, I thought it was one of the best scenes in the episode .. "Best not to nibble .. " .. and the guy playing the leader just oozed sarcastic meaness .. at least until vaporization ..

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows
Gear in this thread