"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2916Likes

post #9601 of 10349 Old 02-29-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 345
If I heard correctly on Talking Dead, they built the whole complex, including that mansion, for the show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 10349 Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Yes, they did build it. They showed a partial time-lapse of the construction too.
post #9603 of 10349 Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Torn about this episode. From the camper getting stuck for some odd reason that they couldn't avoid or see the mud, to the unbelievable amount of blood water falling out of the guy's neck a lot of things rubbed me the wrong way. How many times do they have to drive somewhere and get distracted to have something happen (stop touching your girlfriend and pay attention to the road). Didn't like Abraham's sudden epiphany moments that kept coming, I liked it better when he was a rough military guy.

Jesus comes across as pretty interesting and looking forward to seeing more of his character development. The hilltop community with their spears on the wall made us laugh. Oooohhh very threatening with my automatic rifle.
curtlots, shivaji and gprace like this.

post #9604 of 10349 Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
If I heard correctly on Talking Dead, they built the whole complex, including that mansion, for the show.
Even more important that they should have removed their boots before entering the rotunda of the Hill house after tramping through the mud from the stuck RV. Those were some nicely finished floors and rug. Rather than demanding they clean themselves up I would have required shoe removal first.
post #9605 of 10349 Old 03-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The hilltop community with their spears on the wall made us laugh. Oooohhh very threatening with my automatic rifle.
I laughed too when they came to the wall and showed the two guys up there with spears. It immediately put me in mind of the scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail when Arthur and the boys came upon the French castle. I half expected one of the guys on the wall to yell, "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
post #9606 of 10349 Old 03-01-2016, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
I laughed too when they came to the wall and showed the two guys up there with spears. It immediately put me in mind of the scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail when Arthur and the boys came upon the French castle. I half expected one of the guys on the wall to yell, "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
Glad I wasn't the only one!

Cherchez la vache!
cel4145 likes this.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #9607 of 10349 Old 03-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
to the unbelievable amount of blood water falling out of the guy's neck a lot of things rubbed me the wrong way.
Yeah, that was overdone, they seem to do that a lot. The thing that bugs me the most though is the routine lack of recoil of their firearms. Perhaps unavoidable with blank rounds, but I don't like that.
phildaant likes this.
post #9608 of 10349 Old 03-06-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Yeah, that was overdone, they seem to do that a lot. The thing that bugs me the most though is the routine lack of recoil of their firearms. Perhaps unavoidable with blank rounds, but I don't like that.
Blank rounds? Are you sure they are firing anything? It's common now not to be firing anything and everything is digitally added later.

Typically with shows you can tell if they are actually firing a blank by if they blink. If they don't blink then they typically aren't firing anything. And the flash etc. is added in post production.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9609 of 10349 Old 03-06-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Best episode in,like forever.. Father Gabriel finally grew a pair, kind of reminded me of Pulp Fiction... Everything clicked, I'm in awe!
stevew24963 likes this.
post #9610 of 10349 Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 3684
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Blank rounds? Are you sure they are firing anything? It's common now not to be firing anything and everything is digitally added later.

Typically with shows you can tell if they are actually firing a blank by if they blink. If they don't blink then they typically aren't firing anything. And the flash etc. is added in post production.

Blank rounds confirmed on TTD.....

Sent from nowhere
post #9611 of 10349 Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I know at least in one episode they did! When the governor tries to take the prison for the second time (with the tank), one scene has Daryl unloading an AR15 on the bad guys and he's using a magazine with a window and you can watch the spring, follower, and, cartridges actually travel up the magazine as he is firing off rounds! It was kinda cool, and the thing is spewing the empty cases. Pretty sure that was real blanks.
post #9612 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:

The determining factor is often where the gun will be pointed or where the shoot is taking place.

If the gun is pointed directly at a person, especially at close range, they generally use digital effects. For shots where you either don't see the target or the target isn't in close range, it's easier to use blanks.

For indoor shots, they tend to use digital effects so as not to fire off blanks in a confined space where earplugs may be visible. Outdoors in the open, it's less of an issue.
Tack likes this.
post #9613 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
The determining factor is often where the gun will be pointed or where the shoot is taking place.

If the gun is pointed directly at a person, especially at close range, they generally use digital effects. For shots where you either don't see the target or the target isn't in close range, it's easier to use blanks.

For indoor shots, they tend to use digital effects so as not to fire off blanks in a confined space where earplugs may be visible. Outdoors in the open, it's less of an issue.
In this case, they were using blanks during the inside scenes, presumably for cost reasons. The "behind the scenes" video shown during TTD discussed having to be very careful that the hot ejected casings didn't go flying where they'd hurt someone.
taxman48 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #9614 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent episode. Intense moments and a few moments revealing some still have their humanity. Great all around.

post #9615 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked: 2785
Heh, Father Gabe is kicking ass finally. Last night reminded me of Cheech in Machete : "God forgives - I don't".

aaronwt and MrEmoto like this.
post #9616 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Presumably Negan has another base, since we know the actor who will play him did not appear in the episode.

Though he lost a lot of men, armory and pantry.

Then again, if they had another army, the Alicia Witt character wouldn't bother negotiating with Rick. They wouldn't take hostages, they'd just go to the other base after killing them.

In the Talking Dead preview, one of the bad guys is an old guy whom Carol must have cut and says something about needing to negotiate for Rick's prisoner to patch him up. So they can't have much resources left. Besides the wounded old guy, there was an old woman and Witt, who's not so young either.

Yet they all have attitudes, like they're superior and have an advantage.
gwsat likes this.
post #9617 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
^^^ Thanks for identifying Alicia Witt (Wendy Crowe on Justified.) I recognized Witt but couldn't place her until you told us her name. I liked this week's show too. It was another cynically funny bloodbath but I like cynically funny bloodbaths.
post #9618 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4161 Post(s)
Liked: 8902
Why...?

MrEmoto likes this.

post #9619 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
In this case, they were using blanks during the inside scenes, presumably for cost reasons. The "behind the scenes" video shown during TTD discussed having to be very careful that the hot ejected casings didn't go flying where they'd hurt someone.
The showrunner(director?) actually stated(if I could find the article again) that this time blanks were used for effect, he wanted the actual sound and chaos of the "live" round sound in the confined spaces to ramp up the intensity of the scene for the audience and the actors themselves. All the actors were taken to a shooting range prior to filming to make sure every one of them was comfortable with using and hearing the weapons they'd be using. It was a pretty intense sequence, no doubt about that.

I'll try and find where I read it, it was very late and I was falling asleep when I came across it.
aaronwt and phildaant like this.
post #9620 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

I did not care for that "Googly" eyed zombie that Carol wacked in the forest - looked too cartoony! But overall, good episode. Good cliffhanger I think.

Got this bad sense we're gonna lose a major character in the near future though.
post #9621 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
like how Rick mentioned "they always come back"...didn't carl say that to him once? That one prisoner he didn't kill came back....the governor wasn't killed the first time and came back...rick was the only one who wanted to kill everyone at terminus but was talked out of it, and they came back...so I agree with him that they should take chances this time..especially after the run in daryl, abraham and sasha had with them
post #9622 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I did not care for that "Googly" eyed zombie that Carol wacked in the forest - looked too cartoony! But overall, good episode. Good cliffhanger I think.

Got this bad sense we're gonna lose a major character in the near future though.
So lets speculate a little. To everyone - Who do you think it will be (if it is), Who do you hope it is, and Who (can be multiple people) do you hope it is not?

I think it will be Daryl because he is sooo popular and this show wants to always to try and shock (for good or bad).

I hope its someone like the Reverand or even Abraham (while funny does nothing for me).

I hope its not Daryl or Carol.

post #9623 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
How about Rick

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9624 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4161 Post(s)
Liked: 8902
The Saviors are scary. But those pricks got nothing on you.
aaronwt, Keenan, gwsat and 1 others like this.

post #9625 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
So lets speculate a little. To everyone - Who do you think it will be (if it is), Who do you hope it is, and Who (can be multiple people) do you hope it is not?

I think it will be Daryl because he is sooo popular and this show wants to always to try and shock (for good or bad).

I hope its someone like the Reverand or even Abraham (while funny does nothing for me).

My prediction is that it will be multiple people. Our guys killed a lot more of Negan's people (some in their sleep!!) than in the comic. The consequences will be much more severe. Daryl gets Lucilled first and then Glenn. Maybe Michonne or Abraham follow.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 03-08-2016 at 06:20 AM.
post #9626 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hope not Daryl or Carol either, but I'm thinking Glen perhaps - then Maggie will have to raise the kid solo, and that'll be a thing. I hope not Glen!

Or maybe Rosita gets careless over the situation with Abraham and gets it, or maybe even sacrifices herself in some sort of suicide or something.

Quote:
How about Rick
Nooooooo!!

And what a crummy way to break up with your gal Abraham - in a shallow discussion with mention of dingleberries....gee wiz!
post #9627 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 104
My money is on Glen, Heath and maybe Tara. I'm betting Heath and Tara, out on their little medicine run, get ambushed by Negan's men. There seemed to be just a bit too much "focus" on her character this past episode (i.e, the signal that something's changing for that character). Plus the actor who plays Heath has been cast as the lead in the new version of 24. Although with a limited episode run, it would be possible for him to do both shows, I could see his WD character being killed off. Glen has flat run out of lives by now - he's due to bite the bullet.
post #9628 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I picture some of the more minor characters served up as bait first. Maybe Abe and/or Rosita being had for dinner when trying to makeup. Maybe Heath and Tara, too. Certainly, the Preacher is a likely meal. The next season, because it will be split into two parts like this year's, will end with all the majors trapped on the roof of a huge shopping mall, out of ammo and unable to fend off swarms of G.I. Walkers, then forced to jump 5 stories and call it quits. Sadly, this happens just as they realize commandeering a plane or hijacking a boat to a coconut/pineapple rich Fiji/Tahiti or even Honolulu was a better choice than saving the world. Fade stage left to black...

Arvy
post #9629 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 273
good episode, I think TD left out in Memory segment the guy who the priest killed...Daryl looks naked without the cross bow.. Wonder where it is , on Ebay?

post #9630 of 10349 Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
to me it was a good episode ,except for killing all those guys and not
taking ONE hit.... NO Way that should've happened...

a few of the main characters should've gotten at least a scratch ! hehe

Also, while I'm thinking about how invincible this tribe is, how about
karl taking a 9mm in the eye and living through it ! Ha... it would've
blown out the back of his head..
taxman48 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page