"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2910Likes

Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Been wondering myself how long they remain in Alexandria. Being so close, I'd think they'd be wanting to move on to D.C., even though the Eugene mission is no longer.
Let's see, Alexandria has electricity, water, housing. What does DC offer? DC is 10 miles away, I'm sure they've seen it....

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33idolfinder View Post
Question about “talking dead”: Why is he lying about FTWD be “see how everything began”? Everybody knows FTWD is just about some unimportant people that know nothing, don’t do anything, can’t do anything don’t try to find answers and nothing interesting happens to them!!

Although I was not overly impressed with FTWD, it was a short season and mostly setup .. I'm in for Season 2 and I'm hopeful the show will become more engaging ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Let's see, Alexandria has electricity, water, housing. What does DC offer? DC is 10 miles away, I'm sure they've seen it....

I would also tend to believe the concentration of Walkers in more Urban areas would be a deterrent to setting up semi-permanent living facilities .. although when the Gang in the past has been in a City, it did seem a bit more exciting ..
cel4145 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I've been meaning to comment on that. I've lived in the DC area nearly all my life, on the MD side. The rural "Alexandria" in the show is nothing like the real Alexandria. It's right across the river from DC, a short walk, not close to 10 miles, and it's very urban. Here's the real Alexandria. In the 2nd pic is what you see looking across the river from Alexandria.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I've been meaning to comment on that. I've lived in the DC area nearly all my life, on the MD side. The rural "Alexandria" in the show is nothing like the real Alexandria. It's right across the river from DC, a short walk, not close to 10 miles, and it's very urban. Here's the real Alexandria. In the 2nd pic is what you see looking across the river from Alexandria.
Yeah, I know, been there several times. I've learned to not be literal when thinking about the way things are filmed. I've seen the Golden Gate Bridge where the Bay Bridge should be.

Bobby 

Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
I've been meaning to comment on that. I've lived in the DC area nearly all my life, on the MD side. The rural "Alexandria" in the show is nothing like the real Alexandria.
There's more to Alexandria (the real one) than the riverfront. It extends westward more than six miles, and if you keep going west it gets rural pretty quickly. In the show, the "Alexandria Safe Zone" was a planned, sustainable community located near the outskirts of the city of Alexandria. The location in the show is obviously not a real place, but if you head west out of the real Alexandria towards, say, Franconia, you start to see communities that look a lot like the suburban Alexandria of the show, and if you keep going west (and stay away from the Interstate) it starts to get a lot more rural.
cel4145 and Turrican4D like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 03-17-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Politicians?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 384
The neighborhood they use is a real place, with people living in those houses, just not in Alexandria.

Morgan seems to have infected Carol. The moment I saw her notebook contents, I knew The old new Carol was gone, and we have a new old new Carol. Though a consolation prize for losing badass Carol, we have the next meek-to-monster convert in the Priest. When he shot that guy, I was looking forward to more scenes with him, finally. Previously I hated to see him on screen.

I still don't trust Jesus. I suspected he was leading them to Negan's group when going to Hilltop, but that was a bust. I still don't think he's on the up and up. He's too skilled for that useless group.

I have not read the books, but made the mistake of looking at Negan's wiki page, because there was no real idea of who or what he was. I thought, like many, he was one of the bikers that got blowed up. So I know a few things that are to come, before I stopped reading. All I know is some interaction between some characters we know and love. I don't know if Hilltop is in the books, I didn't see any of that before I spoiled a small bit of the show on myself. But, I have a feeling Hilltop is going to be slaughtered by the Saviors. Jesus will probably make it out alive, so he can betray our group.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-17-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Politicians?
There's been politicians in almost every episode of this show, you can spot them by the way they stumble around aimlessly while making unintelligible sounds.
aaronwt, thehun, taxman48 and 4 others like this.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
I've been meaning to comment on that. I've lived in the DC area nearly all my life, on the MD side. The rural "Alexandria" in the show is nothing like the real Alexandria. It's right across the river from DC, a short walk, not close to 10 miles, and it's very urban. Here's the real Alexandria. In the 2nd pic is what you see looking across the river from Alexandria..........
And it's like that with about every TV show ever made. They don't use the real world for their fictional world. There are always discrepancies. You will find it with about every TV show and location used in them. It's just more obvious when they use an area you are familiar with.
shivaji likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-17-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And it's like that with about every TV show ever made. They don't use the real world for their fictional world. There are always discrepancies. You will find it with about every TV show and location used in them. It's just more obvious when they use an area you are familiar with.
As rdclark postet above you: It is not Alexandria, it is the Alexendra Safe Zone.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yep, I believe I have watched the entire series, though I started late. Was there ever an episode where they had to deal with winter conditions. If so, I probably missed it.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
As rdclark postet above you: It is not Alexandria, it is the Alexendra Safe Zone.
The Walking Dead TV Show Wiki says it's the "Alexandria Safe-Zone" and is located in Alexandria VA.
Quote:
The Alexandria Safe-Zone, or simply Alexandria, is a walled-off community in AMC's The Walking Dead located in Alexandria, Virginia, near Washington, D.C....
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Al...ne_(TV_Series)

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Maybe less about what it has to offer, and more just the intrigue of what might be there - what is left of the command and governance structure (if anything), and so on.

Quote:
I've been meaning to comment on that. I've lived in the DC area nearly all my life, on the MD side. The rural "Alexandria" in the show is nothing like the real Alexandria. It's right across the river from DC, a short walk, not close to 10 miles, and it's very urban.
Safe to assume they are in the deep 'burbs then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Politicians?
Zombie Obama?
taxman48 likes this.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
There's more to Alexandria (the real one) than the riverfront. It extends westward more than six miles, and if you keep going west it gets rural pretty quickly. In the show, the "Alexandria Safe Zone" was a planned, sustainable community located near the outskirts of the city of Alexandria. The location in the show is obviously not a real place, but if you head west out of the real Alexandria towards, say, Franconia, you start to see communities that look a lot like the suburban Alexandria of the show, and if you keep going west (and stay away from the Interstate) it starts to get a lot more rural.
That's very interesting, and thanks for the correction. I had no idea there was anything that rural close to the District.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
NO. As has been said numerous times, Negan is the name of a character in the show and an actor has been cast in the role and will play Negan. Their group is called the Saviors.
I put “negan ” on google, so I know all that. I am trying to understand why they say “I am negan” and ”we are all negan”. Maybe it is just crazy talk, put there to make us hope that the comic is not a major spoiler and Glen is not brutally murdered at season finale.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
I put “negan ” on google, so I know all that. I am trying to understand why they say “I am negan” and ”we are all negan”. Maybe it is just crazy talk, put there to make us hope that the comic is not a major spoiler and Glen is not brutally murdered at season finale.
They say it because they all believe in his ways and it how he rules. They all do the same thing when they encounter people, interact, etc. etc.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
All of these groups seem to be beholden to one leader, a "strongman", who will do "whatever it takes" to keep his people safe. And they all buy in because of peer pressure and self-interest. Soon, their original values begin to be supplanted by those of the leader. If he's a psychopath, then his followers will become psychopaths.

We are under the impression such things cannot happen in a democracy. Yet they have, in 1930's Germany. And things are starting to get a little uncomfortable around the here and now, too.

The difference in the groups our gang has encountered may have been the Wolves. Did we see any of them as the outright leader, or was it a collective psychopathy?
curtlots, leebo and Sean Spamilton like this.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
....Yet they have, in 1930's Germany. And things are starting to get a little uncomfortable around the here and now, too.

This is not something that just happens. Germans dint go around saying “I am Hitler”. There is a specific and mandatory reason for them saying “I am Negan”. Like they will be killed if they don’t say it.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The reference to "I Am Negan" is a takeoff of "I Am Spartacus" ..

thehun and shivaji like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The difference in the groups our gang has encountered may have been the Wolves. Did we see any of them as the outright leader, or was it a collective psychopathy?
They were Anarchists .. .. or Libertarians at the minimum ..
Keenan likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The reference to "I Am Negan" is a takeoff of "I Am Spartacus" ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8h_v_our_Q
That was a heroic self sacrifice. “Negans” are not heroes or selfless and as pointed out by Carol they are afraid of dying.

Comment about old TD episode about FTWD: There are not 400 million potential zombies, there are 400 million potential zombie-killers! There is no exponential growth of zombies, because the number of zombie-killers grows much faster!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That was a heroic self sacrifice. “Negans” are not heroes or selfless and as pointed out by Carol they are afraid of dying.
Like I said, it is a take off .. not a literal reference ..

Uncle Willie

Old 03-18-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
This is not something that just happens. Germans dint go around saying “I am Hitler”. There is a specific and mandatory reason for them saying “I am Negan”. Like they will be killed if they don’t say it.
I stopped reading the comics before this point, so I'm just reacting to the show. I took it in the "I am Spartacus" sense -- "you can't stop us by killing one individual."

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a very interesting discussion about individuality vs. authority. Have you ever read "The Dispossessed" by Ursula K. LeGuin? After you do, you'll never think about these issues the same way again.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
There's been politicians in almost every episode of this show, you can spot them by the way they stumble around aimlessly while making unintelligible sounds.
I think you're confused with the voters
curtlots and Jonas2 like this.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
This is a very interesting discussion about individuality vs. authority. Have you ever read "The Dispossessed" by Ursula K. LeGuin? After you do, you'll never think about these issues the same way again.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to have to check that out. I'm a huge fan of "The Lathe of Heaven" but haven't read any of her other works.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 379
No way no how I would take the only person that has medical back ground out on a field trip. She was just looking for trouble, making some real bad decisions 😠

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Turrican4D likes this.

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears
Display: Samsung PN64D7000
Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC Haswell 16TB Jriver 21, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 4
Power Management :Panamax M5300-PM
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 622
episode started off slow but picked up big time in the 2nd half...great seeing Dwight again (and his newly scarred face)...Denise was one of the few Alexandrian's who actually was a decent character so sad to see her go...Carol's new no violence policy makes zero sense...so all of a sudden she has a complete change of heart and becomes like Morgan?...the TV show ruined the Morgan character by making him passive so hopefully Carol won't suffer the same fate...only 2 episodes left so I'm really looking forward to seeing Negan in the flesh soon
Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
episode started off slow but picked up big time in the 2nd half...great seeing Dwight again (and his newly scarred face)...Denise was one of the few Alexandrian's who actually was a decent character so sad to see her go...Carol's new no violence policy makes zero sense...so all of a sudden she has a complete change of heart and becomes like Morgan?...the TV show ruined the Morgan character by making him passive so hopefully Carol won't suffer the same fate...only 2 episodes left so I'm really looking forward to seeing Negan in the flesh soon
Maybe Morgan has a change of heart and decides that killing is actually a pretty good idea after all. There's definitely going to be some kind of realization or closure between their two story lines I bet.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Who is Dwight? The guy who stole his chopper and bow?

Is he part of Negans group?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season