"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2916Likes

post #9991 of 10349 Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I may be misremembering this but I believe during the first season of Lost the suits claimed the crash victims on the island weren't dead. I don't think that jibed with how the show ended. I do fully agree with you regarding the current TWD topic.

the LOST people weren't dead...everything that happened on the island really happened...they all just died later on and met up in the afterworld...the analogy between that and the Walking Dead is totally different...one is talking about the end-game of the series while another is talking about a week-to-week cliffhanger

Last edited by TitusTroy; 03-31-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10349 Old 03-31-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3029 Post(s)
Liked: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the LOST people weren't dead...everything that happened on the island really happened...they all just died later on and met up in the afterworld
Yeah, purgatory. They lied about that, Lindelof & Cuse, those dirty rotten scoundrels.
post #9993 of 10349 Old 03-31-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
I hope Negan is not just a 30 second cameo at the very end of the finale...after all the hype and foreshadowing he deserves a major role in the finale
There's a simple reason why he's been missing. He's shacked up with a hot attorney.
post #9994 of 10349 Old 03-31-2016, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I heard Negan gets more than 10 seconds...
aaronwt likes this.
post #9995 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, purgatory. They lied about that, Lindelof & Cuse, those dirty rotten scoundrels.
No, they didn't. The island was not purgatory either. Everyone was alive on the island. Many of them came and went over the course of the show. Everything that happened on the island really happened, just as the producers said.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9996 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No, they didn't. The island was not purgatory either. Everyone was alive on the island. Many of them came and went over the course of the show. Everything that happened on the island really happened, just as the producers said.
People who did not watch the show love to throw that line out there that everyone died in the first episode. Clueless.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #9997 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
...aaaaand then they went to a mysterious white church somewhere in the afterlife to wait up for all their friends before "moving on". So yeah, purgatory.
post #9998 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4188 Post(s)
Liked: 9018

post #9999 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
...aaaaand then they went to a mysterious white church somewhere in the afterlife to wait up for all their friends before "moving on". So yeah, purgatory.
The island was not purgatory. The purgatory was separate from the island. Everything that happened on the island really happened. The characters were not dead the whole time, as people who didn't pay any attention to the show like to complain.

I'm sorry if you didn't understand the show's finale, but that is not what happened in it.

Josh Z

post #10000 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Mmm, Fried chicken.
post #10001 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Lauren Cohan (Maggie) looks much better with longer hair...don't know why she cut it so short...doesn't suit her and takes away some of her hotness
post #10002 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The island was not purgatory. The purgatory was separate from the island. Everything that happened on the island really happened. The characters were not dead the whole time, as people who didn't pay any attention to the show like to complain.

I'm sorry if you didn't understand the show's finale, but that is not what happened in it.
Look, the producers were specifically asked about purgatory, and they said no, no purgatory. They said it. More than once. I read it. More than once.

I watched every episode, even as they became progressively more ridiculous in S-6, and understand precisely how the show was constructed, that they were really there with all that crazy supernatural stuff happening to them on a magic Island, etc.

But then they died, and then they went to.... wait for it (they did).... purgatory! I don't know what you call it, and that's not what the show called it, but that's what everybody else calls a way-station between life and whatever comes after. As long as that's not the True Death™, of course. 'Cause that's a different show.
post #10003 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Look, the producers were specifically asked about purgatory, and they said no, no purgatory. They said it. More than once. I read it. More than once.

I watched every episode, even as they became progressively more ridiculous in S-6, and understand precisely how the show was constructed, that they were really there with all that crazy supernatural stuff happening to them on a magic Island, etc.

But then they died, and then they went to.... wait for it (they did).... purgatory! I don't know what you call it, and that's not what the show called it, but that's what everybody else calls a way-station between life and whatever comes after. As long as that's not the True Death™, of course. 'Cause that's a different show.
They were asked if the island was purgatory. They said that the island was not purgatory. As it turns out, the island wasn't purgatory, just as they said. Nonetheless, even six years later, people still complain about the island being purgatory and the producers lying about it.

What're you gonna do?

[I think this is enough Lost talk, and we should let the thread get back on track.]
taxman48 likes this.

Josh Z

post #10004 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Lauren Cohan (Maggie) looks much better with longer hair...don't know why she cut it so short...doesn't suit her and takes away some of her hotness
I wouldn't be surprised if she needed to cut it for a movie role and the producers wrote it into the show rather than put her in a wig.

Josh Z

post #10005 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:

I'm the opposite and think the short hair is better. She has the cheekbones and features to pull it off. Her first appearance on that horse in S2 sold it for me.
thehun, Keenan and stevew24963 like this.
post #10006 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if she needed to cut it for a movie role and the producers wrote it into the show rather than put her in a wig.
So, I recorded a movie off of Dish network today called Reach Me. It has Sylvester Stallone and Tom Beringer in it, so I hit record as I never heard of it before. It just so happens that it has Maggie in it, with short hair.
aaronwt likes this.
post #10007 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Hey, spoilers!
post #10008 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Quote:
She said that she cut it because it is short in the comics and wanted it to match her character and the reason her character in the comics has short hair.

post #10009 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
She said that she cut it because it is short in the comics and wanted it to match her character and the reason her character in the comics has short hair.

she's been on the show for 5 seasons so if they wanted to match the comic character they would have done it much sooner...a lot of the other characters on the show look exactly like their comic counterparts Tyreese, Abraham, Rosita, Eugene etc...as one of the few hot females on the show they wanted her to be hot versus cutting her hair short and losing sex appeal in the early years...I saw her recently on that Lip Sync show and she's grown her hair back out again so the short hair won't last too long on the show
post #10010 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a couple of quick pics of Maggie with short hair in the movie, just to show. It was only on a non HD channel, sorry for the blur. She did look beautiful in this movie. It was made in 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1051.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1353274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1054.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1353282  

Last edited by shivaji; 04-01-2016 at 06:35 PM.
post #10011 of 10349 Old 04-01-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Here is a couple of quick pics of Maggie with short hair in the movie, just to show. It was only on a non HD channel, sorry for the blur. She did look beautiful in this movie. It was made in 2014.

that's not what I mean by short hair...she looks great in those pics...she cut it way shorter a few months back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1353410  
post #10012 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
she's been on the show for 5 seasons so if they wanted to match the comic character they would have done it much sooner...a lot of the other characters on the show look exactly like their comic counterparts Tyreese, Abraham, Rosita, Eugene etc...as one of the few hot females on the show they wanted her to be hot versus cutting her hair short and losing sex appeal in the early years...I saw her recently on that Lip Sync show and she's grown her hair back out again so the short hair won't last too long on the show
She commented on that, she said it was time, with what her character is now going through and having to change/be stronger, etc. that now was the moment to do it.

post #10013 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting article, I agree with some of this (not all).

As 'Walking Dead' heads toward a season finale, its integrity is stumbling off a cliff
By Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times - Apr. 2, 2016

For years, AMC's "The Walking Dead" has roamed the backwoods of rural Georgia performing miracles. The adaptation of a beloved graphic novel took exactly one episode to prove that art is a feat of execution, not genre. Amid the spilled intestines and exploding heads walked a character drama as finely drawn as any that kicked off the great television renaissance of the 21st century. "Mad Men," with zombies.

As the Season 6 finale approaches, it still has the zombies.

The finely drawn character drama thing, on the other hand, appears to be giving way to the more broad-stroke dimensions of its origins, exposing, perhaps, the difference between a story told in panels and pages and one told on the screen.

Working within an uber plot that is, by necessity, endlessly repetitive — Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and his fellow survivors find a space where they think they can safely end their wanderings only to find that this is not so — the episodic action has become expositionally manipulative and, occasionally, ridiculous.

A fictional world can be many things, but it must never appear ridiculous.

It began with the cliff-hanging trickery of the mid-season's finale's fake death — Glenn (Steven Yeun) did not just fall into a roiling pit of zombies from which there could be no non-deus ex machina chance of escaping unbitten. But showrunner Scott Gimple shamelessly removed Yeun's name from the credits to imply that Glenn was dead and then, ta-da! — he wasn't.

Since then, Gimple and his writers have seemed less concerned with preserving the integrity of the show's characters and their journeys and more interested in producing the sort of random OMG moments more normally associated with high-wire soaps like "Scandal," in which characters are defined by their anything-could-happen outrageousness.

But the beauty and success of "The Walking Dead" stem from an opposite tension — the world may be outrageous but the people are very real. Fans came for the zombies and Robert Kirkman's zig-zagging plot, but they stayed for the characters, who, for all the "If Daryl Dies We Riot" T-shirts, are as multidimensional as fictional characters get. More so considering their horrific circumstances.

This season, however, they became increasingly puppet-like, doing things that made little sense except as a preamble to the Don't Blink season finale introduction of the novels' most ghastly and fascinating villain, Negan, played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. (Morgan, it must be pointed out even at the risk of belaboring the Shonda Rhimes analogy, caught his big break as "Grey's Anatomy" sweetly dying Denny, whose ghostly resurrection sparked exactly the sort of pre-Twitter frenzy that foreshadowed the current state of Def Con One television.)

For months, "Walking Dead" fans could talk of little else, which dimmed even the finer moments of this season and knocked a few chinks in the fourth wall, but that's the risk of any adaptation. Success breeds increased attention.

Much more perilous is the self-inflicted gouging. The show has always prided itself on confounding expectations and rewriting the rules, including and especially the until-recently time-honored "Never Kill a Popular Lead," but still it abided by its own internal code, as every alternative universe story must.

Sure, there were some "developments" over the years — turns out that even those who die of non-zombie related causes will rise again, and Carl's hat apparently has magical powers that allow it to grow with him — but the essential nature of the characters, and their place in the story, remained astonishingly consistent. Those who survived this far have changed, but we've seen them change, understand why they've changed. Their big moments were earned and given the appropriate space to breathe.

Until this season.

This is the season when Rick and Michonne (Danai Gurira) apparently fell in love, not that you'd know it. For many, the alpha coupling seemed a tantalizing inevitability, but the writers could not have made the hoped-for moment, which occurred a short time after Rick's latest flame was eaten alive in front of him, more non-romantic and narratively functional if they had simply cut to a middle-school sex ed film. "When a post-apocalyptic Daddy and Mommy-figure like each other very much and everyone else is dead…"

After all they've been through, separately and together, Rick and Michonne's newly sprung love, which should have been a high point of the series, never mind the season, was simply tossed to fans like so much blog fodder. "So this happened," the writers seemed to say. "Have a field day. Negan's coming and we've got other things to do."

Likewise, the discovery of the (truly nifty) Hilltop community and their power struggle with the Saviors came at us as fast and furious as a three-second credit-scroll attempting to describe the Wars of the Roses (wait, which one are you? And he did what? To your brother?). Equally flippant was Maggie's (Lauren Cohan) snap decision that she would now be leasing her friends out as assassins. (Of course, she is pregnant, and that can make a gal pretty testy.)

Then things got really crazy. Carol (Melissa McBride), a character so breathtakingly sensible that she killed a child who had become a danger to herself and others, suddenly became super emotional and very distracted. First she got all protective over Maggie, keeping her back from the assassin party only to let them get captured by three very sketchy individuals who, in any other episode, Carol and Maggie could have taken down with a few river rocks and an old sweater.

Which they did, eventually, but apparently Carol's fugue state was infectious because then the whole gang went back to Alexandria and collectively lost their minds. In the penultimate episode, Carol fled Alexandria, leaving a note telling everyone not to follow her (hahahaha). Two seconds later, she ran into a bunch of Saviors, who she dispatched with the machine gun with which she has apparently replaced her arm.

Daryl (Norman Reedus) also went rogue, determined to find and kill Dixon (Austin Amelio), who had just killed Denise (Merritt Wever, sob). The next thing we know, all the warriors except Maggie are piling into vehicles in search of one or the other. Leaving Alexandria unprotected (never a good idea), they tromp through forests filled with Walkers and Saviors and God knows what else, talking at the top of their lungs and not paying attention to anything, just as if they hadn't spent the last two years surviving the zombie apocalypse.

"Who are these people?" my son asked as Michonne allowed herself to be snuck up on just as if she didn't have eyes in the back of her head, which of course we know she does. "What have they done with Michonne?"

What indeed.

Creator Kirkman recently told Access Hollywood that even those who have been following the show for all six seasons are about to discover that while they may think they know the rules of the show, they really do not. This is the sort of things television writers and producers now say all the time to whip up fan frenzy and get everyone to live-tweet the finale, but as a critic, I feel professionally obligated to respond.

If the audience does not know the rules of an alternative universe narrative after six seasons, then the writers have failed. If the writers decide to change the rules, or reinvent characters, without bothering to create believable story lines to accommodate those shifts, that's not shocking or inventive, it's just lazy and coldly calculated

And for a show like "The Walking Dead," that year after year showcased the complex reactions of human beings under constant duress by creating an apocalypse that is both external and internal, both real and metaphorical, it would also be an absolute shame.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...02-column.html
CruelInventions likes this.

post #10014 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I'm the opposite and think the short hair is better. She has the cheekbones and features to pull it off. Her first appearance on that horse in S2 sold it for me.
Yes .. shorter hair vs longer hair, I don't care .. .. in fact, I don't see hair length as a non-starter with any good looking woman, and Maggie is certainly a good looking woman ..
hall and 33idolfinder like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10015 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 351
She probably uses hair extensions now as many women of a certain age do.
post #10016 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:

As 'Walking Dead' heads toward a season finale, its integrity is stumbling off a cliff
By Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times - Apr. 2, 2016

For years, AMC's "The Walking Dead" has roamed the backwoods of rural Georgia performing miracles. The adaptation of a beloved graphic novel took exactly one episode to prove that art is a feat of execution, not genre. Amid the spilled intestines and exploding heads walked a character drama as finely drawn as any that kicked off the great television renaissance of the 21st century. "Mad Men," with zombies. . . .
FYI: Don't think we are supposed to copy whole articles like you did. It's copyright infringement.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: Sierra 1 | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #10017 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
FYI: Don't think we are supposed to copy whole articles like you did. It's copyright infringement.
Copyright warnings usually say, "Reproduction in whole or part". I wouldn't lose sleep (not a lawyer).
BTW, I agree with the critic.
post #10018 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:
While the author does make some good points, nothing there has swayed my affection for WD and it's cast of characters, it's still one of the best shows going, warts and all ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10019 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 783
For a change of pace I'd like the writers to inject a little humor now and then. For example, the team is out on a scavenging run and they come upon two walkers copulating.
post #10020 of 10349 Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yes .. shorter hair vs longer hair, I don't care .. .. in fact, I don't see hair length as a non-starter with any good looking woman, and Maggie is certainly a good looking woman ..
Her nose is too huge IMO, like a horse.

Quote:
What bull. The author obviously didnt get, how and why Carol changed. It didn'T came out of nowhere as she claims.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page