"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 349 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3953Likes

Old 10-24-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I think they have established Glen as the character who has nine lives like a cat, and they should continue to use him for that in the future. Good element of the show to keep around.
Well, I guess Glen was on #9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I've been persuaded that it will be Abraham.
Give that man a prize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm pretty sure my blood pressure was at unreasonable levels during that whole episode. Maybe I'll just read a transcript going forward. That was uncomfortable, and it was not enjoyable to watch.
No it was not enjoyable - but it was necessary. Suppose that's arguable too...

MAN, that was disturbing though. It did not surprise me that it was Abraham - and as much as I loved his character, especially his famous quotes, I was ready to accept that and move on. The Glen thing caught me off guard - gruesome. Poor Maggie. (Poor Glen!) I was so hoping it wasn't going to be Glen and thought we got away with it at first. PHEW. The next episodes are going to be very interesting.

I do hope that Negan gets his someday, hopefully from Maggie AND Rosita, double-whammy!

Last edited by Jonas2; 10-24-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I didn't watch last night but I did follow along on Twitter, which was a good thing as I would have been emotionally wrecked if I did watch. From what I have read though, the acting by everyone was outstanding and I will miss Abe (suck my nuts!) and Glenn (Maggie, I'll find you).
Quote:
For those poo-pooing the show, it's not just about killing zombies, it's also about human-nature. Horrific events bring out both the best and worst in people. We've seen good, we've seen bad and now we're dealing with pure evil. How they handle it should make for some good story-telling this season.
I don't understand why you would critique those criticizing the narrative when you didn't watch the episode yourself. The Twitter Cliff Notes version is not the same thing. I personally hate Amazon book reviews from people that haven't actually read the book.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good misdirect with the blood splatter on Rick's cheek. Lead everyone to believe that it was the clue as to who was killed, while it happened as a result of Neegan waving the bat after killing his second victim!
aaronwt and Djoel like this.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
I suspect Negan is always on his guard. Plus, when Rick did grab the axe, notice how fast Negan was turned around with the rifle pointed at Rick ? Nine out of ten people would have pulled the trigger too.
Incorrect. Neegan grabbed the rifle from next to him when Rick charged. I am talking about well before Neegan got to the front seat and had his back on Rick in a small confined space.

In addition, there was no way Neegan was going to pull the trigger. He wanted Rick to go for the axe to show him he was helpless now (because he had a rifle next to him). Just trying to break him down more. Rick should of had his wits and made a move earlier.
Djoel likes this.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That was quite the disturbing episode and I really enjoyed it (sort of, scared the crap out of me). It was a bummer to lose those two (both fantastic characters), but they have been doing that since the beginning (plenty of shocking loses in past seasons). I don't follow the graphic novels (and won't because I don't want to compare things or expect anything), but that does seem to be the way the show goes. From Talking Dead, it looks like there will be some more Abraham stuff (so that's good), and more than likely more of Glenn before they are gone for good. The only down side was that it was only 60 mins and Talking Dead was 90. Would have been better the other way around. (I never watch Talking Dead, but had to for this episode, and it was quite good).
taxman48 and Djoel like this.

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
Old 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I don't understand why you would critique those criticizing the narrative when you didn't watch the episode yourself. The Twitter Cliff Notes version is not the same thing. I personally hate Amazon book reviews from people that haven't actually read the book.
Between my son watching in the next room filling me in and social media (complete with pics), I feel I have a pretty good grasp as to what went down last night. I didn't watch it because there are certain things I can handle gore/emotional wise and some I can't. Last night was in the 'can't' category.

Spoiler!

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
I thought the episode was a big yawn. Needless gore for the sake of trying to be shocking that ended up eye roll worthy and laughable due to the way the did it. It's very clear the writers don't respect the audience and they don't have much skill in their craft. They're all sitting around in a circle patting themselves on the back for being so clever. I realize the show is based on a comic book, but Negan is like the sort of character you'd get if you put a bunch of 3rd-5th graders in a room and had them spitball a bad guy. He's not even one dimensional. He's like half dimensional.
JoeTiVo and 31dag like this.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 140
At least Negan has personality. Rick is like a black hole, I can't tell if that is just Lincoln's acting or how he is written/directed. But Rick is just boooorrrriiinggg. While Negan is sadistic and evil he does liven up the show (pun intended).

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
It's very clear the writers don't respect the audience
And why should they? They keep coming back no matter how bad it gets.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
May sound bad, but I laughed when they showed Glen with his head smashed/eye popped out. It was just so ridiculous and over the top. and he was talking to Maggie? c'mon. i'm not sure she'd be looking at him through all of this.

Regardless, I feel like Henry Rollins would make a great Negan. I look forward to seeing how this season plays out and how his character develops.

I will say I was ready to see some big changes after the way the group conducted themselves last season. Not sure if the writers were trying to convey that the group had lost their edge or what...but you can still have an edge and not be a total psycho/militant. Just like you can have less of an edge but not be a total bumbling idiot running around making terrible decision after terrible decision.
Tack likes this.

Stuff, I have some of it
Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Incorrect. Neegan grabbed the rifle from next to him when Rick charged. I am talking about well before Neegan got to the front seat and had his back on Rick in a small confined space.
I thought the same thing. But the problem I think was the sequencing of the narrative. Had we seen what Rick had seen happen only minutes before getting in the mobile home, I think we could have identified that Rick was in serious shock. But breaking the narrative sequence, then that scene didn't work properly in putting us in the same place Rick was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
In addition, there was no way Neegan was going to pull the trigger. He wanted Rick to go for the axe to show him he was helpless now (because he had a rifle next to him). Just trying to break him down more. Rick should of had his wits and made a move earlier.
Maybe. He did throw him out to the zombies without a weapon in his hand in the physically and emotionally exhausted state Rick was in, so it did seem he was more than willing to let Rick die.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablorock View Post
(I never watch Talking Dead, but had to for this episode, and it was quite good).
I actually really enjoy watching TD after the show, seeing the actors off stage, and the "analysis" of things. It's kinda fun! I know a lot of people hate him, but I like Chris as a host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I thought the episode was a big yawn. Needless gore for the sake of trying to be shocking that ended up eye roll worthy and laughable due to the way the did it. It's very clear the writers don't respect the audience and they don't have much skill in their craft. They're all sitting around in a circle patting themselves on the back for being so clever. I realize the show is based on a comic book, but Negan is like the sort of character you'd get if you put a bunch of 3rd-5th graders in a room and had them spitball a bad guy. He's not even one dimensional. He's like half dimensional.
Aw, that's a bit harsh, no? It's not THAT bad is it? I gotta respectfully disagree - I don't feel disrespected by the writers and I don't know that we know enough about Negan yet to judge him as half-dimensional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Well, I for one don't think it is getting bad. I think it's getting intense. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
May sound bad, but I laughed when they showed Glen with his head smashed/eye popped out. It was just so ridiculous and over the top. and he was talking to Maggie? c'mon. i'm not sure she'd be looking at him through all of this.
They showed Steven in the makeup trailer with the prosthetics, it looked kinda silly in that context, but I thought it translated pretty well to the screen. Over the top? Yeah, but it has some shock value, though probably not necessary. Glen's beating actually made my poor wife physically ill. She couldn't watch after that.

Quote:
Regardless, I feel like Henry Rollins would make a great Negan. I look forward to seeing how this season plays out and how his character develops.
He would be a good choice for Negan.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 2614
Quote:
Quote:
It's very clear the writers don't respect the audience
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I give the writers credit for wanting some of us, at least, to be laughing at the sheer excess of the show. I can't imagine, or at least hope, that they don't take themselves so seriously, they believe they are creating Deathless Art. The show is as much a silly blood soaked gore-fest as Ash v Evil Dead but with better production values.
31dag likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
Old 10-24-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 586
How hot did Maggie look last night on the Talking Dead? If I was Rick, I would try to hook up with Maggie and dump Michonne. The difference in beauty is incredible, especially when side by side. Lauren Cohan is the hottest girl on the show to date.
mike1812, gwsat and 31dag like this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Jeffrey Dean Morgan is quite a diverse actor. If any of you remember him as playing Denny Duquette on "Gray's Anatomy", you see him going from one of the most likable characters as Denny to one of the most despised as Negan.
Ivabign likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 4664 Post(s)
Liked: 11000
Emotional episode. I didn't see that coming at all. When he bonked Glenn I think my jaw literally hit the floor. The way Negan broke Rick, both phyically and mentally was crazy. Make it a salami cut. Looking forward to Negan's comeuppance.
aaronwt, blackssr and Nayan like this.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Jeffrey Dean Morgan is quite a diverse actor. If any of you remember him as playing Denny Duquette on "Gray's Anatomy", you see him going from one of the most likable characters as Denny to one of the most despised as Negan.
Never watch GA but was JDM heavier then?

Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 3592
Quote:

I will say I was ready to see some big changes after the way the group conducted themselves last season. Not sure if the writers were trying to convey that the group had lost their edge or what...but you can still have an edge and not be a total psycho/militant. Just like you can have less of an edge but not be a total bumbling idiot running around making terrible decision after terrible decision.

Rollin as Negan - perfect!

LIAR!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I don't think I've ever felt more hate for a fictional villain than I did for Negan last night. Kudos to the show's creators for pulling that off. Over the top, yes. But effective. However, I can see myself getting frustrated with the show if they drag out his demise for too long.
mike1812 likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I can see myself getting frustrated with the show if they drag out his demise for too long.
Brace yourself for at least a full season of Negan. If history is any indicator, the villain is not destroyed until the end of the season or carried over to the next season.
JoeTiVo likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Brace yourself for at least a full season of Negan. If history is any indicator, the villain is not destroyed until the end of the season or carried over to the next season.
I hope when Negans time comes, Rick is the issuer of pain. I would have Rick tie him down, remove all 4 limbs with that AX, cauterize the stumps and leave him like that!

Last edited by blackssr; 10-24-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Never watch GA but was JDM heavier then?
Me neither, but he was on the long-running CW show Supernatural during the earliest seasons and he has trimmed down quite a bit since then. He has that, "I quit drinking" or "became a vegetarian" appearance now.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4664 Post(s)
Liked: 11000
Quote:
I hope when Negans time comes, Rick is the issuer of pain. I would have Rick tie him down, remove all 4 limbs with that AX, cauterize the stumps and leave him like that!
It's only a flesh wound.

MichaelZ, aaronwt, Don S and 5 others like this.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
For those poo-pooing the show, it's not just about killing zombies, it's also about human-nature. Horrific events bring out both the best and worst in people. We've seen good, we've seen bad and now we're dealing with pure evil. How they handle it should make for some good story-telling this season.

It's not about killing zombies at all anymore. It hasn't been for quite a while. That is why my love of this show has diminished every season. At first the zombies were scary and threatening. Now, they've morphed into cockroaches.

I don't mind some human drama mixed in, but they drew fans in with the idea of a zombie apocalypse, and somewhere along the line they turned it into a different show.

I haven't watched this latest episode yet because I was worried about who would die, and, given the shows history, that it might be dragged out too much. But I'm not into torture either. At least now I can watch knowing what to expect.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
TeeJay1952 likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never watch GA
That is a concession you make to have a happy marriage. I sit through a coupleof her shows and she tolerates a few of mine. Thankfully, we both like TWD.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Then suspend him from a slowly descending stretchy net with his head/torso facing down as a crowd of rabid walkers are awaiting below with outstretched arms and mouths.
31dag likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
It's not about killing zombies at all anymore. It hasn't been for quite a while. That is why my love of this show has diminished every season. At first the zombies were scary and threatening. Now, they've morphed into cockroaches.

I don't mind some human drama mixed in, but they drew fans in with the idea of a zombie apocalypse, and somewhere along the line they turned it into a different show.
I disagree. It is the character development that has kept the show alive. Had this series just been season after season of fighting, chasing, killing and running from the zombies, I would have stopped watching long ago. I really liked season 1 where they had a goal of going to the CDC in Atlanta to find a cure. Subsequent episodes have been largely going from "safe haven" to "safe haven" and encountering bad gut after bad guy in a seemingly utopian environment. Having a purpose rather than just fighting to stay alive would be a good direction for the show to take, even if it does turn out to be another dead end. If you want a show with no purpose and no character development, they gave you FTWD.
Ph8te and Nayan like this.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 950
i think this episode was a big yawn as well i watched on my DVR this morning and i fast forwarded through most of it was a little disappointed, after waiting for this season to start.
Stereodude, femi and 31dag like this.

DEN Atmos Samsung UN65KS8000 Roku Ultra Onkyo TX-NR 747 5.2.2 UHD audio. Polk Audio OWM3 Speakers / top middle on Ceiling / 300MGB Spectrum / Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player / 26 UHD Blu-Rays Living Room Atmos Samsung PN60E8000+SEK2000 / Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ 300MGB Spectrum / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers, MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs. BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 using tv speakers for now
Old 10-24-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Emotional episode. I didn't see that coming at all. When he bonked Glenn I think my jaw literally hit the floor. The way Negan broke Rick, both phyically and mentally was crazy. Make it a salami cut. Looking forward to Negan's comeuppance.
I kinda think that Glenn getting bonked was Daryl's fault. Maybe Negan would have done it, but it's good to act humble when they've got you beat. Kind of like acting belligerent to a cop is often going to end badly (for you). Not saying victims deserve it, far from it, just that you gotta be smart and bide your time for revenge. There is no way they could have fought their way out of that one, so they should have just taken the one loss to the team and count their lucky blessings that wasn't them. I've been in situations where I wanted revenge right away but justice delayed is not necessarily justice denied. Anyone who says that clearly doesn't know how to play the long game.

Negan was definitely sadistic but he's acting like any alpha male would in a situation like TWD : if you don't establish your dominance for all to see, and the dire consequences for even thinking of violating it, you're not long for the top spot. Fear will keep the other gorillas in check. Really, seen from the prism of primates or other animals, it's just a case study in the human animal. It was harsh to watch and I do not enjoy such torture porn but it makes perfect sense for humans to devolve into that type of social structure, in a lawless society you will always get warlords imposing their will through violence and cruelty. It's what deregulation taken to the nth degree inevitably leads to: the strong dominating the weak. I just hope there is something about a zombie apocalypse thrown in because I'm getting tired of the human-focus on the show. Actually I wish they'd go back to a city. Apparently the safest place to avoid zombies if it really happened would be far from populated areas, like in the deep woods or in the mountains, but for entertainment purposes you could make the case that city dwellers would feel safer holed up in a concrete wildnessness than at the mercy of the elements and a bunch of crazy survivalist rednecks playing Lord of the Flies the woods.

In the show timeline, it's been what, several years since the outbreak? Surely over time the city zombie population would go down on its own as they disperse slowly outward (or join a herd). Or get picked off my well-armed survivalists. I wonder, in a city of say, one million people, if there were ten thousand survivors initially, and the rest turned to zombies or killed beyond ability to turn into one, then how long would it take the survivors to kill em off? Knowing how well armed the US is, it should be faster than the time it'd take for living humans to kill each other. Without intelligence, zombies would get destroyed by man, especially well armed groups with survivalist and/or military training (which many in the US have, at least outside the cities). The cities, despite being overrun with zombies initially, would eventually be ripe pickings for canned food and other goods, and if a group started taking one over you could see cities that are on islands or with natural barriers surrounding them at least eventually consolidating to become zombie free.
shivaji likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 2614
Quote:
How hot did Maggie look last night on the Talking Dead? If I was Rick, I would try to hook up with Maggie and dump Michonne. The difference in beauty is incredible, especially when side by side. Lauren Cohan is the hottest girl on the show to date.
I agree! Lauren Cohan, who plays Maggie, is a sexy young woman. She cleans up nicely.
RLBURNSIDE and 31dag like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows
Gear in this thread