"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4123Likes

post #10531 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 789
The whole head bashing thing was pretty gruesome, it could have served as a series finale' if he continued down the line ending it with Rick... and fade to black!
Unfortunately, I watched it right before turning in for the night... and it definitely kept me from falling right off even though I was tired.

Or... it could have been due to the half bag of Doritos and rootbeer soda I had while watching

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3334 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
Another article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/24/1...-quitters-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
And why should they? They keep coming back no matter how bad it gets.
Well, not this audience member. I'm out. I have too many shows and not enough time to watch them all. It's time to cull the herd, and TWD & FTWD didn't make it.
shivaji, Nayan, cel4145 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Stereodude; 10-25-2016 at 10:51 AM.
post #10533 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
What does it tell us about society and its media when characters in a series are not allowed to use the F word, but can smash other characters heads into pieces on-screen?
I'm not the point you're driving at. It doesn't speak anything to society. It speaks to the folks at AMC. AMC can put anything they want on the air. They're not a broadcast network and aren't subject to any FCC regulations. They could make their content as morally bankrupt as HBO if they wanted to.
aaronwt likes this.

post #10534 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I've read the comics since issue One .. after the intro of Negan, in many cases, panel after panel is filled with his profanity laden dialog, which I find excessive as well .. used once in a while for a shock value or to make a point is one thing, using it constantly ends up making it passé, at least IMO ..

personal preference aside that's who Negan is...he uses a lot of profanity...that's the way Robert Kirkman intended for his character to be...comics of course can get away with much more then basic cable but I still think he could use more profanity on AMC especially since he says sh** a lot on TV...adding an F bomb after all the S bombs would not really be that big of a deal
gwsat likes this.
post #10535 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Somebody said earlier that there was more to Negan than the over-the-top psychopath we've seen so far. For the life of me I can't imagine him having any redeeming qualities, or even interesting ones for that matter.
post #10536 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
What does it tell us about society and its media when characters in a series are not allowed to use the F word, but can smash other characters heads into pieces on-screen?
I caught Negan using the Rick word with a 'p' in front of it.

Arvy
post #10537 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
personal preference aside that's who Negan is...he uses a lot of profanity...that's the way Robert Kirkman intended for his character to be...comics of course can get away with much more then basic cable but I still think he could use more profanity on AMC especially since he says sh** a lot on TV...adding an F bomb after all the S bombs would not really be that big of a deal
Just stating my personal opinion, both for the show as well as the comics .. my belief is less is more ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Somebody said earlier that there was more to Negan than the over-the-top psychopath we've seen so far. For the life of me I can't imagine him having any redeeming qualities, or even interesting ones for that matter.
I'll add a few bits from interviews director Greg Nicotero did yesterday ::

“I think there is a weird alternate universe where, from Negan’s perspective, Rick’s a pretty bad guy—because he just showed up and killed off a bunch of his people.”

“To me, I think Negan’s rules—that’s how he’s been able to survive,”

“he needs to remain a man of this world. . . . I see Negan as just—there’s definitely a menace, and there’s definitely a sadistic brutality there. But he’s still alive, and he’s still got all these people working with him. So in his mind, it’s working.”

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10538 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
It was one episode....one that played out (mostly) the way it was written in the comics. It's part of the story. There are lots of new things coming this season. If the whole season had been about Negan behaving this way, then I would understand the judgement. It just started.....LOTS of new things, places and characters coming. Besides, The Walking Dead was never a "fun" show, nor will it ever be. Life sucks in the zombie apocalypse. There is pain, suffering, loss and death, every day. It's the way of life.

Besides, if the writer doesn't like it, don't watch it.

While the violence seemed over the top to some, I don't think it was so much for shock factor. They got that by taking out Glenn when it wasn't expected. The whole episode was about the breaking of Rick. Completely stripping him of all hope and defiance and reducing him to a whimpering, begging shadow of his former self. Negan wants to be sure that no one, even for one second, will think about challenging him. Mission accomplished, with the exception of Maggie. She is the only irrational person that thinks that. She's hormonal and not thinking clearly. But as you saw, Rick quickly shut that down and said "we will all die". Negan got his point across perfectly.
I respectfully disagree. Full disclosure: I still have not watched it (but plan to tonight or tomorrow). However, I have read several very descriptive accounts. For me, I have no problem with the loss of the characters (save for Glenn, one of my favorites). That's not the point.

Rather, the graphic and drawn out violence is what I have issues with. Sure, we have seen zombie after zombie stabbed, shot, arrowed, set on fire, etc. The difference there is that they are typically anonymous monsters who we not only have no emotional attachment to, but they are usually "killed" while on the attack, i.e. a threat. Ditto for most of the opponent/enemy human killings (Rick ripping out that douche bags throat comes to mind).

And most deaths (that I can recall) of our gang have been brief: Beth, Hershel, Shane... Laurie's wasn't even shown (nor were the murderous little girls or the two at the prison).

Also, I don't know how you can compare illustrations in a graphic novel to recreations of brutal torture enacted on real people. After the last shot of season 6, they could have just shown Abraham dead at the beginning of season 7. One or two shots of him killing Glen and mission accomplished (to use your words). Make no mistake, the graphic and drawn out violence everyone has described was done for one reason: shock factor.

Two more points about your comments: I find it interesting that you describe Maggie as "hormonal". What if, rather than killing off Glenn, Negan had instead killed Maggie? I would fully expect Glenn to react the same way. Wouldn't you?

Also, to your comment that if the writer didn't like it, don't watch it. How then would the writer know they didn't like it?
CruelInventions, Nayan and cel4145 like this.
post #10539 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just stating my personal opinion, both for the show as well as the comics .. my belief is less is more ..

I'll add a few bits from interviews director Greg Nicotero did yesterday ::

“I think there is a weird alternate universe where, from Negan’s perspective, Rick’s a pretty bad guy—because he just showed up and killed off a bunch of his people.”
Um, has Nicotero forgotten that it was Negans men who started it? Didn't they demand 50% of everything Ricks party produces? Under threat of death? am I mistaken? Hitlers policies were working for him too, for a while anyway.
post #10540 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Pretty much Negan took it on the guy that killed several of his people with the bazooka, the "random" choosing wasn't random at all... the second one was "reading the crowd" kill, I think he chose right to make the most impression.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #10541 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Um, has Nicotero forgotten that it was Negans men who started it? Didn't they demand 50% of everything Ricks party produces? Under threat of death? am I mistaken? Hitlers policies were working for him too, for a while anyway.

Negan was getting 50% of the Hilltop colony's earnings...Rick was not involved until he chose to help the Hilltop group...he killed Negan's men with no provocation...so in a weird way I can understand how Negan views Rick's group as the sadistic ones
JoeTiVo, aaronwt, JoeNc and 1 others like this.
post #10542 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Your right Troy' Rick is the one who attack Negans Group. Hell they killed some of them in their sleep. So one cant blame Negan for defending his turf. And for those like stereodude who are dropping out' WHO CARES. I'am going to lose sleep tonight over that.
post #10543 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Ah, well, he also enjoys needlepoint, long walks, and loves a spirited game of Scrabble from time to time.
post #10544 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Ah, well, he also enjoys needlepoint, long walks, and loves a spirited game of Scrabble from time to time.
And pina coladas, no doubt.
post #10545 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
the thing is, Negan is right, Rick is a threat and no choirboy by any stretch ..

There is a lot of chatter on line today about this episode being way over the top as far as sheer brutality goes and the folks that let their young children watch the show .. I suppose that might be a bit justified, however, the Blood Gathering trough at Terminus, Hershel's beheading, etc were pretty gruesome ..

I will say that the loss of Glenn was a bit like turning a small light off .. for me, Glenn was always that glimmer of hope that things would get better .. he added soul to the show ..
MrEmoto likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10546 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
the thing is, Negan is right, Rick is a threat and no choirboy by any stretch ..

There is a lot of chatter on line today about this episode being way over the top as far as sheer brutality goes and the folks that let their young children watch the show .. I suppose that might be a bit justified, however, the Blood Gathering trough at Terminus, Hershel's beheading, etc were pretty gruesome ..

I will say that the loss of Glenn was a bit like turning a small light off .. for me, Glenn was always that glimmer of hope that things would get better .. he added soul to the show ..
Who the hell lets young children watch this show? I don't even let my teens watch it.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Nayan, JoeNc and MrEmoto like this.
post #10547 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stone View Post
Who the hell lets young children watch this show? I don't even let my teens watch it.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
I'm 70, no kids .. however, from what I gather from young folks and their parents, it's not uncommon, nor is the sale of the comics ..

Uncle Willie

post #10548 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 603
It seems Negan is living, "What is best in life".

Tack likes this.
post #10549 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

IMO I don't think those scenes were as gruesome. Well, from what I'm hearing (promise to watch tonight or tomorrow)😉.

And the bazooka, well, weren't they driving along minding their own business when they were stopped by Megan's men? Rick had that info to add to what he was told by the hilltop. He also didn't terrorize the men at the sub station.

Again, my issue is torture and grossness as "entertainment".
post #10550 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:37 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6052 Post(s)
Liked: 3751
Quote:

It's rated TV-MA. If they had an issue then that is just ignorance for letting a young child watch a program. TV-MA means the program is designed for Adults to watch. Not children. Of course it really depends on the child and the parents should know their children.

I know personally I wouldn't have had any issue watching something like this when I was seven or eight. I knew from a very young age that TV shows were not reality. Unlike some kids that think crazy things like trying to fly like Superman. When I was young I never understood kids that thought this way. They didn't seem to know what was real and what was fantasy for some reason.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10551 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
And for those like stereodude who are dropping out' WHO CARES. I'am going to lose sleep tonight over that.
Aww, I'm so hurt.
post #10552 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
I thought this was the best episode of TWD yet, minus the drawn out reveal. Negan's domination of Rick was epic. Very well done.
It was better than I thought it would be but still not that good. Rick and his "One day I will kill you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow . . ." was incredibly stupid. Almost as stupid as Daryl's attack. I find this show somewhat tedious and obvious. JDM's chomping of the scenery and the almost deaths of Rick (who probably should have been bitten about 10 times) along with the biblical type story of Rick being told to cut off his son's arm (all the while I knew that it was just a test) was just stretching out the ep for what should have happened in 10 minutes.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #10553 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Still Shocking after all these years....
post #10554 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Pretty much Negan took it on the guy that killed several of his people with the bazooka, the "random" choosing wasn't random at all...

It was Daryl, who killed the a***** with his bazooka.

Anyway, the episode hit me harder than I thought it would. Abraham was pretty fit after the first blow (he could form a sentence without any problems) and after the second, he went unconcious in an instant.

But Glenn??! The second blow left him concious and seriously damaged! How someone could be so cruel or even able to laugh at him in this state is beyond me.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #10555 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
This isn't the first time we've seen TWD play with the narrative sequencing just to create suspense and anticipation, and it's almost always poorly done by them, IMO.

Definitely agree.
post #10556 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
I find it interesting that you describe Maggie as "hormonal". What if, rather than killing off Glenn, Negan had instead killed Maggie? I would fully expect Glenn to react the same way. Wouldn't you?

That is a normal response from anyone that loses someone they care about. However, Sasha and Rosita lost Abraham. Did either one of them behave that way and say "let's go fight him". No. They knew better. They know that right now, they stand no chance in hell in beating Negan and his group and it would be a death sentence for everyone involved. Hence my hormonal comment.

Do they have the desire to inflict the utmost pain on and kill Negan? Absolutely. Any normal human being would, but they know that now is not the time.
post #10557 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Another article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/24/1...-quitters-club

Well, not this audience member. I'm out. I have too many shows and not enough time to watch them all. It's time to cull the herd, and TWD & FTWD didn't make it.
"We’re supposed to hate Negan now, and the reason people should want to keep watching is to see what type of revenge Rick strikes back with, no matter how many seasons it takes. But no amount of payoff is worth being jerked around like this."

Agreed, the “love to hate” crap is not my thing. I just hate to watch. So I use the fast forward, and finally, when it is too much, I take a break before I finally quit.
leebo likes this.
post #10558 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Negan was getting 50% of the Hilltop colony's earnings...Rick was not involved until he chose to help the Hilltop group...he killed Negan's men with no provocation...so in a weird way I can understand how Negan views Rick's group as the sadistic ones
I'm starting to forget the chronology and who knew waht and when - didn't Daryl and Abraham and Sasha get attacked by Negan's group first, then were rightfully RPG'd? Didn't Negan technically draw first blood (or attempt to....)??
post #10559 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I see the “reaction” videos now are a thing. I don’t have a video, so I will describe mine:

Ok, let’s see who is dead… (sound is off)
Jump forward, jump forward……
Nothing? What is that with Rick and the zombies?

Jump forward, jump forward closer to end…
I they are still there, Rick with an axe, can’t see who is gone.
Jump backwards…..
Here we go, Abraham it is, don’t need details. I guess I can live with that.

Jump forward.
Now what? Glenn doesn’t look very well! WTF!!

Jump a bit backwards.
Negan seems upset (remember sound is off). Somebody did - another – stupid thing obviously…
And now Glenn bites the dust…. whatever ….. he might as well kill them all at this point, I don’t care…
Fast-forward the rest of the episode.
Well, that happened. Maggie wants to fight? That is funny. Negan kill them all, they never learn. But don’t kill Maggie before she kills Daryl. Daryl basically kills Glenn, doesn’t he?

I haven’t watched TD yet, but I bet someone said that Glenn represents the good in the group and by killing him the producers (and Negan) wanted to kill the last thing that was good inside them (and turn them into Negans)
cel4145 likes this.
post #10560 of 11806 Old 10-25-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blaming it on "hormonal" usually implies "What a nasty woman". I doubt it had to do with her sex is all I meant. It's just a TV show after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page