"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 367 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4123Likes

post #10981 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'd guess a bit of cash flow is still coming in on Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, etc ..
Don't forget, though....

AMC is notoriously cheap. For example, they tried incorporating massive cuts to Mad Men's budget a couple of times. Plus, the whole farm plot on TWD was a budget thing, as well. Even the prison plotline was a budget shaving mechanism since they literally shot that using mostly existing (though modified) structures on the studio property.

What that means is, if those rating start to slip too much, they'll want to make massive cuts to the budget and that could seriously undermine the ability to tell a good story - or, at the very least - stick to the comics.

AMC wants increased profit, not additional revenue for the budget.

Heck, budget caused them to get rid of Frank Darabont. This after all the glowing talk about him being part of the show. It just goes to show that talk is talk, but money walks.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 11-26-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5020 Post(s)
Liked: 11595
I know I'm in the minority here, but I liked S2.
aaronwt likes this.

post #10983 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
At one point, if not already, does anyone think that Kirkman writes the comics 'for' the TV show ? Does someone like Gimple have any silent input in the comics ?
I don't know on that .. what I do know is, the show runs a bit faster than the comics .. so, at some point, there may be a "Game of Thrones" style convergence ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #10984 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 308
My personal feeling is, I don't believe the audience for the show is the same as the audience for the comic. Probably there are many who like both, but I'm guessing most TV viewers don't read the comic.

So I believe it would be a mistake for the producers to continue follow the comic if too many fans complain about the storyline. In fact, they have already set a precedent with Daryl. These long, drawn out refuge/Dr. Evil storylines are getting old. Maybe they play better in a comic.

In reality, Kirkman only has so much power. If ratings start to drop beyond a certain point, he'll have to decide whether to bend or break.

If you remember, season one was about surviving zombies and reuniting with family. An underlying theme was hope. Now it's about losing people and surviving crazed dictators.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #10985 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I'm glad that they change the show enough to keep the comic fanatics quiet when it doesn't go the same way. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

As for Kirkman, he owns this. Unless AMC buys him out, he has the final say, I think.
post #10986 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I liked S2.
Not my favorite season, but it had its merits and I liked it.
post #10987 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Don't forget, though....

AMC is notoriously cheap. For example, they tried incorporating massive cuts to Mad Men's budget a couple of times. Plus, the whole farm plot on TWD was a budget thing, as well. Even the prison plotline was a budget shaving mechanism since they literally shot that using mostly existing (though modified) structures on the studio property...
You forgot the BIG one: their frequent treks through a forest, probably the same terrain from different angles. A big savings on money right there.
post #10988 of 11806 Old 11-26-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
You forgot the BIG one: their frequent treks through a forest, probably the same terrain from different angles. A big savings on money right there.
Yes and no.

It's cheaper than a normal location, but shooting outside is far more costly than being on a stage set.
post #10989 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I caught up this week... so some random comments now that I can be back in the thread again...

I still can't believe people are still agonizing over the show not ever talking about the cause or cure for the zombie virus. It's not going to happen... ever... unless Kirkman has a change of heart. From the very beginning, his comic which this show is based upon... Kirkman always said that every movie always ended in a place where he wanted to know what happened next to the characters. That's what the Walking Dead is... there is no cure, they don't know the cause... but life goes on in the new normal. This is the story of how the remaining survivors deal with it. You don't have to like it, and they might not always execute it properly... but that's the show. You might as well be watching Gilligan's Island and wondering when they are going to get off the island... They actually did, eventually, and you know what? Ruined the show.

Also... people who don't get how society could continue. I've said before... The initial surprise would be bad... you wouldn't know the dead were coming to life or that anyone dying would come to life... so a LOT of people would die before you got a handle on that... BUT anyone surviving that initial round should be able to rebuild society fairly easily. To deal with the zombies is simple... clear them all out... don't go anywhere alone except always sleep alone in a locked room. Always decapitate/burn the dead. The new normal becomes cremation... IT would be easy-peasy to control the zombie population if you just focus on it. The harder problem, as shown in this show, are the other people... people who would rather screw you over for a box of Tic Tacs than work together to build a community.

Now to show specifics...

I didn't think about this with the comics... but the show has prompted me to compare Negan to the Governor. The Governor initially kept his crazy to himself and a few of his loyal crazies. Most of his community saw him as a sane person... which is why he had such a following. When people saw his crazy up close, they turned on him... and he found himself alone in the end. But Negan... he wears his crazy on his sleeve. The people who follow him know full well what he is about. It begs the question of how he has so many followers? You can understand he might have some loyal crazies around him like the Governor did... but a large community of people fearful of him? That's tough to do... Even some of his closest "generals" aren't really loyal to him as such... they just feel like the others probably would be against them if they tried anything... so you get why the inner circle doesn't rebel... but a mass rebellion would probably be a pretty easy thing to pull off... except people tend to not band together...

So in the end... I'm forced to conclude, much as in real life, how people will go along with the crazy violent leader whether they know it or not. It's weird, but it's kind of realistic. Two different ways of keeping your flock controlled. Both seem to work pretty well for the respective crazies on this show.

Going back a bit... the people who thought the violence in episode 1 was too much... I could do without some of the graphic gore... but the point to Negan literally bashing his way into power there... was to do two things for the audience. First, to really make you hate him... and second, so that you would feel just how helpless Rick and his team felt in that moment. Also, tying to my above observations... Consider... Negan was only able to take out Abraham/Glenn so easily because his loyalists had the rest of the gang at gunpoint. IF those people didn't support him in that moment, he doesn't get to do that. It's easy to hate Negan, but you have to remember to reserve a little for those who helped him do it too.
post #10990 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I caught up this week... so some random comments now that I can be back in the thread again...

I still can't believe people are still agonizing over the show not ever talking about the cause or cure for the zombie virus. It's not going to happen... ever... unless Kirkman has a change of heart. From the very beginning, his comic which this show is based upon... Kirkman always said that every movie always ended in a place where he wanted to know what happened next to the characters. That's what the Walking Dead is... there is no cure, they don't know the cause... but life goes on in the new normal. This is the story of how the remaining survivors deal with it. You don't have to like it, and they might not always execute it properly... but that's the show.
We know they don't intend to show it, but it doesn't mean we don't want to see it.

Further, we don't have to know the cause of it. It would just be nice to see a little backstory of some of these people from before the zombies (err....walkers) came on the scene. It can be done very well as evidenced by the flashbacks in "Lost", which were well done and really altered how you saw the characters.

For example, the character of Michael started out with everyone thinking he was a dead-beat dad. As his flashbacks progressed through the first season, we learned he was actually a really unlucky guy who actually tried to see his son and even wanted custody. He even got hit by a car on the way to the court hearing. He then went to a sympathetic character before he became crazy when his son was kidnapped.

Desmond and Locke were two other characters with surprising backstories along with Sawyer and Hurley. Jack, on the other hand, was pure rubbish. They should have gone with the original plan and killed him off in the first episode.

Quote:
You might as well be watching Gilligan's Island and wondering when they are going to get off the island... They actually did, eventually, and you know what? Ruined the show.
Um, no they didn't. Spoiler alert: The series ended with them still marooned.

It was over a decade after the show was off the air that they made it off in a made for TV reunion show. What ruined the show was having people like the Harlem Globetrotters show up and get rescued, leaving everyone else still there.

Your example also fails because we know exactly how the Gilligan's Island crew got to the island and why they were all on the boat. There's a song about it that started every episode.

Even in the original "Night of the Living Dead", we here news reports of a meteor and hints that "the dead are raising from the graves". It wasn't an entire back story, but it was something to explain how we got to where we were in the movie.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 11-27-2016 at 06:17 AM.
post #10991 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
We know they don't intend to show it, but it doesn't mean we don't want to see it.
I understood in season 1 why people would ask... and even in season 2, since they did the CDC story in season 1, which wasn't in the comic... but we're on season 7 now... and even with the semi-prequel Fear the Walking Dead series on its 2nd series, they still haven't done this story because it isn't the story Kirkman wants to tell. That's why I don't understand why people keep being surprised it hasn't been talked about on the show. I thought Kirkman had put that to rest long ago.

Quote:
Um, no they didn't. The series ended with them still marooned.

It was over a decade after the show was off the air that they made it off in a made for TV reunion show.
That's what I was talking about... the main show ended without a resolution... the TV special rescued them, but then put them right back because there was no point to a rescued group of castaways It ruined the premise of the show to have them actually get rescued. It's easier to pretend those TV specials didn't happen.

Quote:
Your example also fails because we know exactly how the Gilligan's Island crew got to the island and why they were all on the boat. There's a song about it that started every episode.
I didn't mean it to be a precise example. Maybe I should have used the Brady Bunch where they never go back and show you all the backstory on what happened to those people's original respective spouses.

My point was... the premise of the Walking Dead is... a zombie apocalypse happens... some people survive... and this is the story of what happens next. It's not the story of how it happened... or what came before... or how to cure anybody... the story Kirkman wants to tell is the one he is telling. Not everybody likes it, and that's ok. But it has never pretended to be anything but the show that it is. We're on season 7 and people are still surprised, and that has me scratching my head.

Quote:
Even in the original "Night of the Living Dead", we here news reports of a meteor and hints that "the dead are raising from the graves". It wasn't an entire back story, but it was something to explain how we got to where we were in the movie.
Truth be told... Kirkman has said, about his comic at least... that in his mind when he wrote the first Walking Dead comic... he imagined his characters were living in that same world, and his story takes place where that movie leaves you in the end. With a different group of characters, and what happens next. And if you think back to the original Night of the Living Dead... it too was less about the zombies and more about the dysfunctional survivors. IF it helps, you can always imagine those snippets in that movie talking about meteors or whatever speculation for a cause are the "origin" for the Walkers in the Walking Dead.
post #10992 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I understood in season 1 why people would ask... and even in season 2, since they did the CDC story in season 1, which wasn't in the comic... but we're on season 7 now... and even with the semi-prequel Fear the Walking Dead series on its 2nd series, they still haven't done this story because it isn't the story Kirkman wants to tell. That's why I don't understand why people keep being surprised it hasn't been talked about on the show. I thought Kirkman had put that to rest long ago.
The problem is, we saw hints at the occasional flashback or even alternate look at something from the past in previous seasons. It's a trend they could have easily continued.

- In the beginning, we didn't see what happened to Rick. Later, they went back and showed him getting shot, Shane and Lori getting involved and him even hiding Rick from the "cleaning crew" that went through.

- At one point in the first episode, we see a helicopter going overhead as Rick goes into Atlanta. Later, we see the sound of that helicopter diverting a herd of walkers that later end up at Hershel's farm.

- We even learned how Michonne became the Katana-wielding warrior she is.

There are plenty of other opportunities to do more of those tie-ins, including the mysterious traffic jam we saw early on where people were just...dead...with no visible means of trauma. After the hit squad at the hospital, it makes one wonder if they were possibly gassed.

I just think there are a lot of missed opportunities to get to know the characters further than just being who they are now.

No doubt, sometimes flashbacks can suck. For example, the who "Morgan becomes a passive martial arts guru" story kind of blew. Not only do I hate that he's become Mr. Zen, but I really don't care why.
post #10993 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 304
They've never said there was not a cure so I'm not sure how you can claim that there isn't one, granted they haven't said there is one either. People are going to have their own opinions on it. Yes, Kirkman says he doesn't want to be bothered with the science or cause, I think if you make a show that shows the downfall of civilization there needs to be an understanding of how it happened. In this case the downfall is caused by a virus and in many movies and shows a cure is something that comes up. If you don't tackle those concerns it's bad writing which is why many of us raise our eye brows watching Fear when they finally show in more detail the fall of civilization in this Walking Dead Universe.

We're getting to the end of the series since most shows wrap up after 7 or 8 seasons so I bring it up again because to bring the show full circle there needs to be a resolution to this virus epidemic. They can either find no cure, very likely or find a cure just as likely, since they're still writing the comics it hasn't been set in stone yet.

One conclusion I've come to is that this is the worst season of Walking Dead yet. Ratings are the lowest since 2012 (Season 3). The problem with this season is it's just more of the same. We've traded one villain for another and also removed some main characters. Since we're towards the end of a show's life cycle it's time to start wrapping things up and that means the bigger picture, like what started the mess in the first place and what the future holds for those that are left.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #10994 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Sounds like Kirkman wants to keep the gravy train going as long as possible.

And AMC won't cancel unless ratings drop off a cliff.

They were probably hoping Negan would be charismatic enough to cover up the fact that they're in this repetitive cycle of villains of the season.

Instead, his preening for the cameras and yakking are probably turning the viewers off. And he's only been in what, 3 episodes this season?

Negan already jumped the shark!
shivaji likes this.
post #10995 of 11806 Old 11-27-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Well, there is an hour of my life I will never get back.
taxman48 likes this.

Last edited by golfster; 11-28-2016 at 08:34 AM.
post #10996 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Caged Heat!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #10997 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
I can't believe they spent an entire episode on Tara. A second rate character at best. What a waste of an episode. Before they use to jump around between two story lines, now they add a third. Horrible decision. Now we'll probably have another episode dedicated to what happened to Heath.

post #10998 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I can't believe they spent an entire episode on Tara. A second rate character at best. What a waste of an episode. Before they use to jump around between two story lines, now they add a third. Horrible decision. Now we'll probably have another episode dedicated to what happened to Heath.
WTF was that! And only 2 more episodes before the 2016 break.
post #10999 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Another fairly dull episode. It looks like it's going to be a character an episode until they all get back together for a battle with Negan. Hope it picks up a bit.

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
post #11000 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 06:34 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 3855
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Well, there is a hour of my life I will never get back.
I enjoyed the episode. I was nice to see what happened with Tara. If I were having issues with the episode then I would have put my TiVo in Quickmode to watch it at 1.5x speed. But so far I think I've only done that with FTWD.
Jonas2 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11001 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
1.5x speed.

QuickMode is 1.3x speed. But, yea.
aaronwt likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #11002 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I have mixed feelings about this episode. On the one hand, I enjoy exploring side stories in this universe and seeing how other groups of people managed to survive and create some semblance of a communal society. On the other hand, neither Tara as a character, nor the actress, can really carry an entire episode on her shoulders, and they didn't develop any of the other characters enough to keep it interesting. It worked (for me at least) when they did an entire episode on Morgan, because Lennie James and the Morgan character can totally carry an episode. This week's episode should've at least bounced between Tara and Heath.
post #11003 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Eh, now you know where they're going to get their guns.

But presumably Negan will be around beyond the end of this season in April or May?
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #11004 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I can't take credit for this post, its from Twitter and reflects some comments on last nights episode:

"If the Saviors want to torture Daryl, force him watch this episode over and over."
Garrett Adams and Don S like this.

post #11005 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5020 Post(s)
Liked: 11595
It was nice seeing a change of scenery. Who doesn't like the beach? However, a full episode dedicated to Tara was tough to get thru.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

post #11006 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did they have these diversionary episodes during the Governor season?
post #11007 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Eh, now you know where they're going to get their guns.
That is likely the reason for introducing this group, but a whole freakin' episode ? Besides, how will Rick's group take their weapons ? They're not really in any position to attack any other group.
post #11008 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I thought Tara was in a dream sequence and she ended up on lesbian island and was the happiest person in the world......but it was no dream unfortunately.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #11009 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Is Maggie going to look pregnant at some point?
I could help out with that....
taxman48 likes this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #11010 of 11806 Old 11-28-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
But ratings probably drive story decisions, how they map out the series.

They did for Lost and it ended in a mess.
Loved Lost. Great show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page