"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4123Likes

post #11611 of 11806 Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycarole View Post
gosh what a good discussion my simple little inquiry spurred on. i can appreciate all your comments and opinions.

but mgkdragn one little comment to this:

seems you mistook my curiosity as caring. but all's good and i hope you don't mind if i continue to hang around... for a little while anyway.
I neither quoted you nor mentioned you .. do not assume I was writing about you .. it was a general, blanket comment not specific to anyone .. hang all you want, AVS welcomes diversity ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11806 Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Or just simple greed.

He just wants to rinse and repeat the formula which he thinks he can use forever.

I don't know how long the comics has been around but maybe it's too late to have a reasonable resolution to the story.

And it's getting too late for the series, other than the key actors getting too old or bored.
2003 and in excess of 160 issues .. the culture of WD has spawned a fairly large line of merch as well .. both comic and TV related toys, action figures, limited edition items, trading cards, etc, etc .. the merch end of things has also been fairly lucrative for collectors and what not, with first printings of the #1 issue selling in the 4 figures in top condition .. action figures have been hot as well .. the problem is, as a collector myself for most of my life, once the show is gone and in syndication, the heat will die and folks will move on ..

The comics have also been compiled in various volumes over the years ..

Kirkman, of course, collects a piece of the action on the new merch material as well .. while it may not be quite as lucrative as the Star Wars franchise, he's done well with it ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11613 of 11806 Old 03-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I neither quoted you nor mentioned you .. do not assume I was writing about you .. it was a general, blanket comment not specific to anyone .. hang all you want, AVS welcomes diversity ..
i suppose you're right and i shouldn't have -- but i thought it a safe assumption since i was the one who asked.

post #11614 of 11806 Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
i suppose you're right and i shouldn't have -- but i thought it a safe assumption since i was the one who asked.
The "Why do you still watch .. ?" question is a fairly common response some give on many of the TV threads on AVS when commentary is not going the way they like ..

Uncle Willie

post #11615 of 11806 Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I could see it being easier to put something through a decaying head, but what doesn't seem plausible is how easy they make it look to put a knife through the skull of someone recently deceased. Wouldn't you need a good amount of force to push a blade through a skull?
I doubt the skulls get too weak but the brains ought to be wasting away. Shouldn't the walkers just die from decay to their brains if damage to their brains kill them?
31dag likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #11616 of 11806 Old 03-15-2017, 01:35 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6057 Post(s)
Liked: 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Once again, I'll be the voice in the wilderness and say I enjoyed Sunday's episode. Multiple characters had changes of heart, and things are moving toward a conflict. All good. I thought that the actor who Morgan killed put in an excellent performance.
Yes. I enjoyed the episode and watched it in one sitting like normal. Unlike the previous episode.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11617 of 11806 Old 03-16-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked: 11419
Throwback Thursday.

AlexanderDelarg likes this.

post #11618 of 11806 Old 03-18-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Just wateed a movie on Netflix "The Salvation"(2014). Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays the villain. You can see some Negan in the way he plays the part and I wish more of it had made its way into TWD. Watch the movie and you can see why they cast him in the part.
post #11619 of 11806 Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Just wateed a movie on Netflix "The Salvation"(2014). Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays the villain. You can see some Negan in the way he plays the part and I wish more of it had made its way into TWD. Watch the movie and you can see why they cast him in the part.
jeffrey dean morgan and eva green?! thanks golfster -- i'll definitely put it on my list to watch.
post #11620 of 11806 Old 03-19-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
jeffrey dean morgan and eva green?! thanks golfster -- i'll definitely put it on my list to watch.
Negan meets Penny Dreadful. Actually a much better movie than I expected. It is visually stunning. It puts you in mind of the spaghetti westerns. I was expecting Clint Eastwood to ride in any minute dressed in a poncho smoking that cigar. Starts with subtitles, but they go away after about 5 minutes, so bear with it.
post #11621 of 11806 Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3785 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Quote:
I watched the last half-hour or so after just stumbling across it. Even with Eva and JDM I didn't really have any desire to go back and watch the rest. Man, that is one weird flick.
post #11622 of 11806 Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I watched the last half-hour or so after just stumbling across it. Even with Eva and JDM I didn't really have any desire to go back and watch the rest. Man, that is one weird flick.
With no context to base the ending on, the same could be said for just about any movie.
post #11623 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 603
the girls sniper team obviously have never watched a movie based on snipers or read the account of Carlos Hathcock or a Steven Hunter novel who brought us Bob Lee Swagger. If they had, they would discover that snipers as a rule, wait for the target and for the shot how ever long it takes, and then live for another day. They don't give up after the first failed opportunity and bum rush the bad guy. Chicks, often so impulsive, just rushing in without a plan. Can't see that going well.
leebo likes this.
post #11624 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
the girls sniper team obviously have never watched a movie based on snipers or read the account of Carlos Hathcock or a Steven Hunter novel who brought us Bob Lee Swagger. If they had, they would discover that snipers as a rule, wait for the target and for the shot how ever long it takes, and then live for another day. They don't give up after the first failed opportunity and bum rush the bad guy. Chicks, often so impulsive, just rushing in without a plan. Can't see that going well.
I could be wrong, but I thought they decided to move in because Eugene announced more Walkers were needed and demanded folks round some up, thus the chance of being found increased ..
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #11625 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 963
That is correct. They went in to "save" Eugene, but he didn't want to be rescued. That is when the plans changed again. They really had no contingency plans for when things go wrong.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #11626 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I thought they decided to move in because Eugene announced more Walkers were needed and demanded folks round some up, thus the chance of being found increased ..
Yes, there is that and it was plot point to get things moving. Still, easy to hunker down somewhere. I guess we will see what happens. Only 2 episodes left this season.
post #11627 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I'd imagine the finale would be a extended episode.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
Battle.net ID - Kenshiro26
post #11628 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Yes, there is that and it was plot point to get things moving. Still, easy to hunker down somewhere. I guess we will see what happens. Only 2 episodes left this season.

And I'm sure we won't find out who "mystery man" is next week. Gotta be Dwight I would think though.
post #11629 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found this episode to have the perfect amount of screen time for Negan.
JoeTiVo, leebo, Tack and 4 others like this.
post #11630 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
I'd imagine the finale would be a extended episode.
After last season's finale fiasco, my fear is that we're not going to see the conclusion of this season's finale until next season.
post #11631 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
The ratings trend indicates, certainly, a degree of dissatisfaction and/or show running it's course audience wise .. so, those that are critical here on AVS are obviously not alone .. as well, no one can expect to visit a Thread and find all sweetness and light .. there would be little to no discussion if that's all there was ..

And, I find it ironic that some would say, "Why do you still watch .. ??" .. my answer is, "Why do you care .. ??" .. I have as much right to be critical of the show and keep watching it as others have to praise it .. maybe I like watching the Titanic sink ..
I've been out of this thread for a while since I've been letting the second half of the season stack up in my DVR. I'm trying to decide if I want to continue or not. I kind of skim this thread periodically, trying to avoid spoilers, yet find some reason to dig back in.

I haven't found that reason yet.

The show just isn't must-watch anymore. Negan literally ruined it for me. I just can't watch that guy.....at all.
post #11632 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
After last season's finale fiasco, my fear is that we're not going to see the conclusion of this season's finale until next season.
Meh. Personally I don't care anymore. If they want to pull something like that again, whatever. They're used that so much it just doesn't work for me anymore.

Also, I don't really care what happens to Sasha or Rosita. Anytime a character does something really stupid, especially when it's apparent the action is written specifically to move the story along, I lose interest in the character. Not only is there nothing for these characters to gain by their idiotic moves, they will actually make it harder for others to do so (kill Negan that is). At what point did each of these characters decide they had the ability to accomplish something no one else has been able to do? Rosita tried, and failed. And that was in her home turf!

One last thing. In my opinion, they're going to need explosives, lots of them, to defeat the Saviors. The Saviors apparently have an endless supply of firearms, yet they show our guys training for a knife fight! WTF? Once they discovered Eugene knew how to make gun powder, he became their best weapon against the Saviors. He should have been treated as such and guarded.

They need to get a good account of how many Saviors there are, a layout of their compound with strategic targets to hit, and plan some kind of distraction (maybe collect a couple thousand zombies?).

Or just take a run at them with their knives.
post #11633 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Well the actress who plays Sasha got a big role in a new Star Trek series.

So she's probably going to be written off the show and this kamikaze mission may be it.

Wasn't it Sasha who suggested they take a shot but didn't have to go all guerrilla? But Rosita wouldn't have any of it.

Then Sasha strands her on the other side of the fence.

I thought they had limited number of bullets but it didn't look like she was sparing any going in.
aaronwt and mike1812 like this.
post #11634 of 11806 Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
yet they show our guys training for a knife fight! WTF? .
Guess you have never seen "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

There ain't no rules in a knife fight.
aaronwt and AlexanderDelarg like this.
post #11635 of 11806 Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guess you have never seen "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

There ain't no rules in a knife fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWTNBRs7Ccs
I've seen it, many years ago. I don't remember most of it. I doubt the Saviors will be bringing knives though.
post #11636 of 11806 Old 03-21-2017, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
So the show's producers said they were going to turn down the violence in the last few episodes based on complaints. So their answer was to cut out all the action completely and just have the show with people talking to each other about useless crap?

This show really is suffering from the fact they killed off the major characters people liked to watch and instead leave us with these b-list supporting people that no one cares about. Sasha and Rositta can't carry an entire episode and it was painfully obvious.

Yes, Abraham got killed, we don't need to have yet another episode talking about their feelings towards this, they already did this.

They want to snipe Neegan, so instead of waiting for him to appear they instead sit on the floor talking about past boyfriends. Neegan could of walked out in plain site for all you know.

A rather boring episode that did nothing but highlight the weakness of this show and the horrible storytelling mechanism they are using to focus on a character per episode.
shivaji and 31dag like this.

post #11637 of 11806 Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure they promised to turn down the violence. I thought they essentially said they were aware that many fans were offended by the violence in that first episode. I do agree that going from that to this latest episode (and others, like the garbage people) is frustrating.

At least it hasn't deteriorated to the level of a CBS show... Yet.
post #11638 of 11806 Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 532
They were always going to have these "character" episodes because they were always going to have Negan be more than a one-season villain.

It's the same shtick that Lindelof and other Lost producers were pulling, to pad out seasons until they reached their target. So a lot of backstories over and over again.

If they decided to go to all-out war right away, instead of having each character deliberate on whether they're going to fight -- like they have a choice -- they could dispatch the Saviors story in a few episodes.

But they want to milk it so that is why we have this mess.

When they finally defeat Negan and the Saviors, what's the next villain, El Presidente?
post #11639 of 11806 Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Liked: 3970
Probably El Guapo and a plethora of his henchmen.
aaronwt, daryl zero and gprace like this.
post #11640 of 11806 Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Last few seasons have been so damn boring I gave up on the show. My wife still watches it.

JBL Pro Cinema-JTR Subs
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page