"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4123Likes

post #11791 of 11806 Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Caption to the trailer:

Quote:
It’s all-out war in Season 8. Don’t miss the Season 8 Premiere of The Walking Dead, Sunday, October 22 at 9/8c on AMC.
Somehow, I suspect "all-out war" will be drawn out, well beyond the mid-season finale.

Maybe even beyond the season 8 finale next spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 11806 Old 07-21-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Somehow, I suspect "all-out war" will be drawn out, well beyond the mid-season finale.

Maybe even beyond the season 8 finale next spring.

I agree...this war with Negan will drag out...even the trailer looks like a long drawn out battle spanning multiple episodes
post #11793 of 11806 Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But you know there will be one-off or character-oriented episodes which break up any momentum the war may have.

At this point, will they throw in any more new groups before the "war" is over?

Or will they save those until things are settled with Negan and the Saviors and the GPKs?

post #11794 of 11806 Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 304
"Kirkman announced in a panel earlier in the day that he's moving toward the end of "The Walking Dead" comics, on which the show is based, according to reports."

So maybe not 20 seasons afterall? I really couldn't see this thing going on past 8 seasons —maybe 9. They've never bothered to get into what caused this mess or a cure, personally I prefer the Resident Evil films over TWD, even WWZ, at least the zombies are a threat not the archetype villain of the week.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #11795 of 11806 Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
"Kirkman announced in a panel earlier in the day that he's moving toward the end of "The Walking Dead" comics, on which the show is based, according to reports."

So maybe not 20 seasons afterall? I really couldn't see this thing going on past 8 seasons —maybe 9.

His statement means diddly squat. It's like saying you will die one day. It won't be any time soon. Kirkman loves to say stuff like this to get people talking.

This is what he said after that:

Kirkman said that the actual ending is top secret and he hasn’t written it down as a precaution. He also said the series could have ended a lot sooner. “There was an ending I had in mind that I was thinking, ‘Oh this would be kind of a cool ending.’ I got to a point where it should’ve happened and I was like, ‘I’m not done yet.’ And this was before the show.

“It got to a point where I would’ve had to start building to it and I was like, ‘Nah.’ So, I just threw that out and then I just kept going because I had all kinds of cool stuff I wanted to do.”

Besides, even if he did end the comic in a couple of years, they would still have 5-7 seasons of material to use, or more, the way they drag stuff out on the show. If it keeps making money for AMC, it's not going anywhere.

As MoviePilot points out, the end of the comics doesn’t necessarily mean the end of the TV show. The series still has plenty of material left to work with, while strong ratings make it unlikely AMC will cancel the programme.
Legairre, aaronwt and Tack like this.
post #11796 of 11806 Old 07-25-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
His statement means diddly squat. It's like saying you will die one day. It won't be any time soon. Kirkman loves to say stuff like this to get people talking.

This is what he said after that:

Kirkman said that the actual ending is top secret and he hasn??t written it down as a precaution. He also said the series could have ended a lot sooner. ??There was an ending I had in mind that I was thinking, ??Oh this would be kind of a cool ending.?? I got to a point where it should??ve happened and I was like, ??I??m not done yet.?? And this was before the show.

??It got to a point where I would??ve had to start building to it and I was like, ??Nah.?? So, I just threw that out and then I just kept going because I had all kinds of cool stuff I wanted to do.??

Besides, even if he did end the comic in a couple of years, they would still have 5-7 seasons of material to use, or more, the way they drag stuff out on the show. If it keeps making money for AMC, it's not going anywhere.

As MoviePilot points out, the end of the comics doesn??t necessarily mean the end of the TV show. The series still has plenty of material left to work with, while strong ratings make it unlikely AMC will cancel the programme.
His statement reads: he's moving towards the end of the comics which means: to the end of the story. Time will tell, but I'm betting season 9 will be the last if not 8.

post #11797 of 11806 Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
His statement reads: he's moving towards the end of the comics which means: to the end of the story. Time will tell, but I'm betting season 9 will be the last if not 8.

We'll have to agree to disagree.....As I mentioned before, even if he ended the comic next month, there are still 5+ seasons worth of material left for the show, the way they like to drag things out. This show will not be cancelled until it takes a "massive" hit in the ratings and stays there. There's hardly anything on TV that pulls consistent "good" ratings and this is one of them. AMC will milk this till the very end. AMC has renewed multiple shows that did WAY worse in the ratings than TWD.

Also, Kirkman has stated that he hasn't told (and won't) the show runners his idea for the "ending" because he wants them to be different, so the show might even branch off and make it's own story line.
post #11798 of 11806 Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
AMC had this little show called "Breaking Bad" .. I'm sure I am among the Legion of Fans that would have happily taken another couple seasons, if not more .. yet, AMC decided to make a clean break and end it .. no reason to believe that they won't do the same thing with "Walking Dead" ..

Yes, there is still plenty of Comic material to milk if they so choose .. I'm personally hoping the suits decide on an endgame strategy in the not to distant future .. I think another 2-3 seasons would be fine .. tie it off, leave an opening for a spinoff or 2 ..

Just don't do something like "Fear the Walking Dead", which, although improved somewhat this year, has still to live up to it's potential ..

And kudos to AMC for not just dumping some shows because of ratings .. "Halt and Catch Fire" comes to mind ..
Tack likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11799 of 11806 Old 07-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked: 3957
AMC will not move toward an ending for their primary cash cow until they have another hit on the schedule. With the ratings being what they are, they'll just keep going and going and munching, and hacking, and slashing, and regurgitating.
post #11800 of 11806 Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked: 3957
AMC will not move toward an ending for their primary cash cow until they have another hit on the schedule to replace it. With the ratings being what they are, they'll just keep going and going and munching, and hacking, and slashing, and regurgitating -- all the way to the bank & back.
post #11801 of 11806 Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt the main cast would stick around after 9 seasons and once they go so will what's left of the audience. I already gave up on Fear in season 2, just rinse and repeat with even less likable characters. There was a time I couldn't wait for the next season of Walking Dead to start, now, I'm ready for them to just finish it and I hope they just kill off everyone because there really doesn't seem to be much point if there's no big-picture resolution. I agree, AMC will milk if they can but it isn't really up to them ultimately.

They dragged out the last season of Hell on Wheels which really killed the show because there's so much gap in viewing you forget about where you were at. I wonder how many actually tuned in for the final few episodes of "Hell" after waiting an extra year? Game of Thrones they're sort of doing that with a truncated final two seasons so it's really only one season left spread over 2 years but at least they don't waste episodes with pointless off-topic filler.

post #11802 of 11806 Old 07-26-2017, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
I don't understand why some of you think the Walking Dead will be cancelled if the comic ends. They can go on with thousands of story lines outside the comic. Fear the Walking Dead is not based on its own comic book and they keep renewing it.
aaronwt likes this.

post #11803 of 11806 Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doesn't have anything to do with the comics really. There's simply a time when a show's run its course, usually when they hit 8 seasons the actors and producers are ready to move on. Season 7 ratings were at an all time low. Walking Dead is long out of its prime. "Fear" is a totally different show with new producers so they don't have anything to do with each other in management respects. They could cancel that one now or run it for 5 more seasons depending on the ratings.

There's been a few shows that have run longer than 8 or 9 seasons, like some of the CSI or NCIS stuff, but for shows like these, a serialized story-line with a main cast that's untouchable (Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Maggie, Carol, CORL!!!), if Andrew Lincoln decides he's ready to leave or Norman, they'd be in trouble.

post #11804 of 11806 Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cast has probably made good money but before TWD, did they have much success?

Guess their contract status is the key. If they're due to renegotiate any time soon, how much can they get?

While ratings are down, AMC probably doesn't want to give up this cash cow, which may help it keep other shows like Better Call Saul and Halt and Catch Fire on the air.
post #11805 of 11806 Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 3855
Ratings may be down, but TWD bad ratings are still better than the vast majority of shows out there.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11806 of 11806 Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Fear the Walking Dead is not based on its own comic book and they keep renewing it.

I'm guessing the renewals are based off of not wanting to rock the Walking Dead $$ train and not based on any excellent word of mouth or amazing ratings...but I think FTWD's renewal luck is about to run out
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page