"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Was there a timeline established? Morgan said something about a month's time had passed, and I'm assuming the woman and child we saw with our hero's partner was his wife and child, and the partner is already making time with her? Maybe this has been going on for awhile before Z-day, and that's what the subtext of the talk the two had about women/wives was just before Rick was shot?

Interview with Andrew Lincoln(Rick).

Great shot of Rick and his horse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Was there a timeline established? Morgan said something about a month's time had passed, and I'm assuming the woman and child we saw with our hero's partner was his wife and child, and the partner is already making time with her?

I figured it was much longer than a month. When his partner appears with the flowers he comments about how he now says the same thing every time he visits. It might have been a month since they saw him last due to a forced area evacuation or something similar.

I don't suppose we'll know just how long he was in a coma until he meets his wife and partner again. That might be one of the bigger surprises if it turns out to be years.

post #93 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
[quote=keenan;19421883]Was there a timeline established? Morgan said something about a month's time had passed, and I'm assuming the woman and child we saw with our hero's partner was his wife and child, and the partner is already making time with her? Maybe this has been going on for awhile before Z-day, and that's what the subtext of the talk the two had about women/wives was just before Rick was shot?

I thought that was a little icky in the tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I guess the mass media coverage paid off ...

Nielsen Earthquakes
'Walking Dead' a Monster Smash
By James Hibberd, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - November 1st, 2010

AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=60612

Great news!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #94 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Maybe this has been going on for awhile before Z-day, and that's what the subtext of the talk the two had about women/wives was just before Rick was shot?

That was my conclusion (after I rewound to check out the photo again, realize that was in fact his wife and kid, and get through my WTF moment ... ).
post #95 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I enjoyed the pilot and will watch more, but the end scene with the horse dismemberment was disturbing to me. I dont care if they show a human being torn apart as this is expected, but not animals-go figure.

You are not alone. I really hate animals being hurt in TV or movies -- especially domestic animals, especially pets, even if it's offscreen. I had to start having someone pre-screen "House" for me after they killed a dog, showed a dead cat and did a cat AUTOPSY that almost required me to take a valium afterward.

I am pretty much resigned to whenever there's a cute animal onscreen, they are probably going to die, especially in a show like TWD. That doesn't mean I didn't watch the scene with the horse through my fingers, though.

(BTW, TV producers know perfectly well how the public feels about harm to cute animals. Three years after Prison Break, a show with a staggeringly high body count started, they were still getting letters about the cat from season 1.)

whitearrow, your resident wuss when it comes to animals
post #96 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Rule of thumb: 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Your mileage may vary, potentially a LOT based on physical condition, circumstances, and of course the presence of flesh-eating ZOMBIES.

He was hooked up to an IV, but either there was one last nurse still around a day or so ago, or it was the slowest IV drip in history. A single bag of IV fluid usually lasts hours, not days.

Seems possible. I suppose it's also entirely possible that someone was still tending to the hospital. He just happened to wake up at the wrong time. If their IV supply was low, for instance, they could've been dripping him only every third day to stave off dehydration. They might've only sent someone over to tend to him once a day, and he just happened to miss them.
post #97 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I figured it was much longer than a month. When his partner appears with the flowers he comments about how he now says the same thing every time he visits. It might have been a month since they saw him last due to a forced area evacuation or something similar.

I don't suppose we'll know just how long he was in a coma until he meets his wife and partner again. That might be one of the bigger surprises if it turns out to be years.

That's true, I had overlooked that part of the equation, he may have been out for quite some time. Although, it seems a bit odd that he would end up in a coma from a wound like that, but I'm probably just over-thinking it. But, when ever I do that it's generally because I'm interested in the show and it's not some dreck that I wish I'd spent the time doing something else .
post #98 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Although, it seems a bit odd that he would end up in a coma from a wound like that, but I'm probably just over-thinking it.

no I was wondering the same thing too.

Maybe the answers to his coma will be addressed when he meets his wife again.

Woke up in hospital to find his wife making out with his partner and his partner hit him with a coma-inducing vase and that's why the partner had to bring a new one to the hospital.

post #99 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't know why everyone is talking about the timeline before he woke up. It is obvious they are all in purgatory

xnappo
post #100 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Liked: 11
Not bad and I say this as a person who does not like zoombie movies and think they make terrible villans. I also want to say that I appreciate that they were not trying to scare me every two seconds. I just feel sorry for that horse.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #101 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Timeline can't be years - he said his son wasn't much younger than the other kid, and the suspected son was about that age. We should have seen some acknowledgment of the timeframe though, something he certainly would have asked about.
post #102 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM

Put me into the group that loved the premiere. The zombies looked amazingly realistic. I loved the way they used silence in this episode, in order to create a sense of eeriness and dread. I'm already starting to care about the main character, and I've only seen 1 episode. Excellent character development and acting. I'm sold.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #103 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
There's essentially two things we don't know about the Deputy...

1. How long was he in a coma or semi-conscious state after his gunshot wounds?

2. How long after the zombie-pocalypse before he woke up alone?

He could have been in a coma for a month or two... then left unattended for just a few days.

IF he wasn't in a coma for a long time, then I agree I was a bit weirded-out by his wife and his partner being all chummy like that... but it would make more sense IF he was in a coma for a couple of months and his friend helped out around the house AND then protected his wife and son during the initial outbreak.

In any case, it is going to be an awkward reunion at some point.

I did wonder, though... why no one (mom, son, friend) recognized his voice on the radio.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #104 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

or went to see if he was still at the hospital, un-zombiefied.
post #105 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Honestly, you guys are asking the wrong questions. Its irrelevant how long Rick is in the hospital. It was long enough for a Zombie apocalypse to occur but not long enough for his son to have aged significantly...so, basically 2-4 months...and as someone with a chronic illness I can assure all of you that the human body can live with a slow drip and ZERO food and water for weeks on end...

Its kind of cute reading all of your impressions and knowing that most of your questions and concerns get addressed. I'm caught up with current continuity of the comics and you guys have no idea how insane, bleak, and poignant this series will turn out to be...

Since the first episode basically has to waste a lot of time setting up the situation and introducing us to main characters I was worried (even as a die hard fan waiting for a long time for this to come to film) that it would be boring and cliche. It wasn't. It was entertaining and subtle and ignored a good amount of Zombie cliches...just like the comic.

But what really sold the episode and proved Frank and team understand the source material was when Morgan was sighting his wife interspersed with Rick tracking down the legless crawler...the soft score, the somber tone, and superb cinematography made that scene work...and that type of scene is the crux of what makes the comic so special. And that was NOTHING compared to some of the hard decisions Rick will make or the other nasty characters that affect him and his group.

I'm super excited to follow the comic as I have been and now the series...AMC officially owns HBO and cinemax now...
post #106 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
That the zombies wouldn't eat each other has been kind of a hole in many zombie plots. I also believe it was "28 Days Later" where the writers consulted some medical experts to come up with what kind of disease could create zombie like behavior. The horse in the first episode is probably a homage to Romero's "Survival of the Dead."

Zombie movies have always looked cheap to produce because you could hire your extras could be really bad and still look good. In his commentary on "Diary of the Dead" Romero mentions about the only thing he has to tell zombie actors is "not to run, because zombies can't run" (this also made it's way into the film itself being about some student filmmakers caught in a zombie plague). He also mentions that Toronto has it's own zombie actors guild which is why you also see the same zombies in his recent films again and again.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
post #107 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

There's essentially two things we don't know about the Deputy...

1. How long was he in a coma or semi-conscious state after his gunshot wounds?

2. How long after the zombie-pocalypse before he woke up alone?

He could have been in a coma for a month or two... then left unattended for just a few days.

IF he wasn't in a coma for a long time, then I agree I was a bit weirded-out by his wife and his partner being all chummy like that... but it would make more sense IF he was in a coma for a couple of months and his friend helped out around the house AND then protected his wife and son during the initial outbreak.

In any case, it is going to be an awkward reunion at some point.

I did wonder, though... why no one (mom, son, friend) recognized his voice on the radio.

I think the length of his beard, and the state of decomposition of non-zombie dead people, are supposed to give us a sufficient idea of the time lapse. As for the radio, I think they made it clear how noisy and degraded the signal was.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #108 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:

In situations like this there is always a chance that down the line you find out that the main character survived because they were "chosen" because they were special and it all becomes a bit lame.

I'd rather have the Regular-Joe-who-just-got-lucky explanation.

Yeah, there's going to be a few thousand people across the country who survived via very bizarre circumstances. Our cop is just one them and we get to watch his story.
post #109 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Pie View Post

And that was NOTHING compared to some of the hard decisions Rick will make or the other nasty characters that affect him and his group.

Then that will really make this series, creating situations where there are two options - bad and worse and we as the viewers get to imagine what we would do.
post #110 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if we will be shown how, when and why the zombie plague started. I don't think we have been given any specific information....just things like beard lenght, etc.

I loved the premiere and actually felt like I as watching an HBO show

fafner
post #111 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I've never figured out why zombies don't just eat each other?

Same reason some animals don't touch carrion.
post #112 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

My guess? Well - no one ever opened the door!

One could assume that the hospital was evacuated quickly (some sort of govt/military style evacuation looks to have been attempted, based on the ruins of society we've seen so far) - and perhaps there were not a lot of "walkers" lurking the hallways - or those that were followed thier future meals outside.

Stupid worrying about food/water comment aside, I'm just going with the Hospital had a minor outbreak, they pushed back the outbreak-ies into the caff, then abandoned ship fast as the rest of town went to ****.

Hell, it happened in real life during Katrina, without a zombie apocalypse baring down. It didn't bug me here.

either way, some of you need to sit back and just enjoy it. An Abraham's doesn't have a hatch on the bottom, nor is it that big inside, and a glock doesn't have a safety. And this won't be star trek.

Who cares.

Quote:

So how do zombies digest brains and other bits of flesh? Does it just sit there until it falls out?

They don't. True zombies, in the Romero sense, just waste away under normal/abnormal biological functions. They eventually are consuming themselves (muscle and organs and fat) until there's nothing left and they rot and die, or just die because there's literally nothing left to keep them going. The hunger is just some primitive instinct, whatever's left of the brain telling the body to walk and to feed. It wouldn't be uncommon to eventually just have zombie heads, still barely alive sitting around. There's also some Fiction about how dieing, and becoming cold blooded slows the metabolism, thus they rot and lose energy less.

Or you got the Return series where zombies are both biological weapons and magical creatures. So you get skeletons, pickled specimens, and Michael Jackson coming alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I enjoyed the pilot and will watch more, but the end scene with the horse dismemberment was disturbing to me. I dont care if they show a human being torn apart as this is expected, but not animals-go figure.

It sure made me feel for the horse, and not feel bad for the main character.

Surprisingly, the zombie in the park scene was brilliantly done too. You really felt something for something you never where supposed to in the genre previously.

Quote:

Was there a timeline established? Morgan said something about a month's time had passed, and I'm assuming the woman and child we saw with our hero's partner was his wife and child, and the partner is already making time with her? Maybe this has been going on for awhile before Z-day, and that's what the subtext of the talk the two had about women/wives was just before Rick was shot?

Thats what I took away, Gf was cheating on him at the time of the convo in the car and before. Hense the "she was distant, cruel and cold lines". Makes it even more sick, since the buddy was telling him how he needs to treat a woman, all the while sporting a **** eating grin.
post #113 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Same reason some animals don't touch carrion.

That makes as much sense as any theory.

Most animals naturally operate under a code of not eating anything that either they didn't kill themselves OR wasn't presented to them by the leader of the pack who killed it himself.

However... starve an animal long enough and it would become less picky eventually.

So... Zombies are going to go after living people first, sticking to natural tendencies to not eat things already dead... BUT eventually when they run out of people and other living things, they would turn on each other in the final days. We just never see that, because that movie would be rather boring with no living people left!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #114 of 6222 Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

The question is whether zombies are enough to base a 12 episode multi-year series around or its better off as a six episode mini series?

Just on the comics released to date there's at least 20 episodes worth of material that is very solid and well-written.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #115 of 6222 Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I was impressed, I like it. Too bad only six episodes - correct?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #116 of 6222 Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I was impressed, I like it. Too bad only six episodes - correct?

larry

Yup until next season. Which on AMC could mean like 2 years from now!

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #117 of 6222 Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Thats what I took away, Gf was cheating on him at the time of the convo in the car and before. Hense the "she was distant, cruel and cold lines". Makes it even more sick, since the buddy was telling him how he needs to treat a woman, all the while sporting a **** eating grin.

That's definitely how I took it too. That Sarah Tancredi (there's a shout out to the Prison Break fans mentioned in this thread already) had been cheating on our guy long before he went down. His buddy was either rubbing it in his face in that car scene, or was trying to figure out a way to confess to him. They cast that guy just about perfectly btw, he looks like a real scumbag.

This pilot episode was fantastic, it had all that epic frustration that you get with characters in a movie in this genre (why is he going into that park all alone??? what is he doing in the city??? run this way??? no, not that way???, etc) but it had the sensitive moments that we don't usually get. Excellent work.

Myself, I don't really care to get hung up on how long he was down at the hospital...I just accepted that it was about a month (i.e. "28 days later") and that he had an IV drip up until the place was evacuated. FWIW, I think the zombies didn't get him in his room because there was a gurney up against his door that he had to push out of the way when he left.

Looking forward to next week with great interest!
post #118 of 6222 Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
For me, this was hands down one of the best premieres of a TV show I have ever seen. It was borderline quality of a well produced movie. Everything was firing on all cylinders. Great acting, great story, very, very well produced and directed. I am sooo in for the long haul with this one. Well done AMC (and the director)!!!!

post #119 of 6222 Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

For me, this was hands down one of the best premieres of a TV show I have ever seen.

Must count David Lynch's efforts in such a group of "best premieres of a TV show" -- "Twin Peaks" and "Mulholland Drive." I'd also put "Damages" in that category...that one set the hook very effectively.
Oh, and "LOST."

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #120 of 6222 Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
When I saw 28 Days Later, the first thing it reminded me of was Stu finding out he was alone in the hospital in The Stand...
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page