"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I was thinking the same, at the very least it shows that AMC does not regard Rubicon very highly at all as they still haven't indicated any pickup of the series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great news about The Walking Dead and I really enjoy this series.. The hour goes by so fast and I I hope he finds out his wife's cheating on him and that he beats the crap out of his friend too ..
post #183 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The violence seems a bit beyond "TV-14" to me...

But as I expected and hoped, the story is engaging and sometimes thrilling.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #184 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Good first two weeks and a great genre. I hope they do not take the Heroes/Lost route as well. They need to have real resolution and payoff each week or I will lose interest as well.

Resolution to what? This isn't a mystery show, the questions it poses are simply character dilemmas.

post #185 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Liked: 11
You know what I think I have noticed (correct me if i am wrong) that in two episodes I have yet to hear anyone say or use the word zombie.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #186 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Resolution to what? This isn't a mystery show, the questions it poses are simply character dilemmas.

Was thinking the same thing VisionOn The premise for The Walking Dead is clear cut for the most part and a serial format of the humans against the zombies with the added drama added in but still it is clearly not a mystery series but more character development woth the good guys vs the dead guys
post #187 of 6222 Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose123 View Post

Was thinking the same thing VisionOn The premise for The Walking Dead is clear cut for the most part and a serial format of the humans against the zombies with the added drama added in but still it is clearly not a mystery series but more character development woth the good guys vs the dead guys

The only real mystery I can think of is what caused the outbreak, but does anyone really care about that? CDC test virus leak? Government drug trial gone wrong? What does it matter?

It doesn't seem that important when there are bigger things for the characters to worry about on a personal level. Like finding loved ones and not getting eaten on a weekly basis.

A show without a government conspiracy arc would be a nice change.

post #188 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Yeah... I actually don't want an explanation of how the zombies came to be.

I like being dropped into the world much like the lead character and having to figure things out along the way... and the prime focus of the story being on how the remaining living people manage to get along and move forward.

The zombies shouldn't be the story... they are the tools used to move the story along.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #189 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

The violence seems a bit beyond "TV-14" to me...

But as I expected and hoped, the story is engaging and sometimes thrilling.

My 9 year old son and I have been watching. We are both enjoying this very much. I guess I won't win any father of the year awards for this

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #190 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

My 9 year old son and I have been watching. We are both enjoying this very much. I guess I won't win any father of the year awards for this

Wow, I haven't even let my 11 yr old watch this....
post #191 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Definite drop-off in quality from the premiere, but I'm still in.

And yep, no "zombie" reference yet. So far, I've heard "walkers" and "geeks." I imagine each group we encounter will have their own pet name.
post #192 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Definite drop-off in quality from the premiere, but I'm still in.

And yep, no "zombie" reference yet. So far, I've heard "walkers" and "geeks." I imagine each group we encounter will have their own pet name.

I'm through issue # 60 and I don't think "zombie" was ever uttered. We've heard roamers and walkers, maybe a few other names. They were never called geeks in the book from what I remember...
post #193 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Children are too sheltered now a day IMO.

As long as he knows the difference between fiction and reality, no foul.
post #194 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

I'm through issue # 60 and I don't think "zombie" was ever uttered. We've heard roamers and walkers, maybe a few other names. They were never called geeks in the book from what I remember...

I guess whether or not 'zombie' is ever mentioned in the comics or not may be considered some kind of spoiler so,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Someone, can't remember who off the top of my head, does eventually call them 'zombies' and then mentions how it took them a long time accept that's what they are and to get over how silly it sounded.
post #195 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Resolution to the show at hand. Heroes would pull you threw a show hinting at some revelation or closure of the episiode you are currently watching. At the end of the show nothing really came to fruition or resolution and it was tune in next week to get the payoff. Episode 2 of this had the payoff in they get away from the building. I do not want to see them go for the Heroes style where there was no "mini closure" per show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #196 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. I have old DivX files that have better PQ than this show. Although I have to admit the dangling intestines was a nice touch. Lol
post #197 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post
Children are too sheltered now a day IMO.

As long as he knows the difference between fiction and reality, no foul.
Good point, I agree. My son does know the difference and he is generally very logical for someone his age.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #198 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 PM

I've enjoyed the first two episodes, in multiple ways (I don't mind a bit of drop-off in quality between the pilot and successive episodes - pretty typical for most series - as long as the overall quality remains high). The moral dilemma and family pathos in the pilot was touching ("can I kill my dead wife and mother of my son, since she's now a zombie, cause that would put her out of her suffering, but ... it seems she still senses a connection to us since she looks longingly at the house we're in").

So far this seems to be more of a "how do we survive now that civilization has collapsed" story, rather than a humans versus zombies fighting / action (and corporate / government conspiracy) series. To me, it seems much closer in spirit to Jericho than the Resident Evil movies (for example). The primary danger (for now) comes from "walkers" instead of starvation (although they'll soon have to deal with food and other resource shortages) or cold (shouldn't be too much of an issue in Georgia / Southeast US) or neighbors wanting the available resources.

I haven't read any of the graphic novels, so have no idea how the story and themes will be developed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more episodes. The creators of this series seem to have great timing, with zombie story interest high (at least it seems so, with my son interested in zombies, including going on a big zombie walk here in Seattle earlier this year), and picking a good graphic novel source.

Cliff
post #199 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post
Wow. I have old DivX files that have better PQ than this show. Although I have to admit the dangling intestines was a nice touch. Lol
Really liking this show but I have to agree with the awful "HD" picture quality. BTW, I have Dish.
post #200 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Really liking this show but I have to agree with the awful "HD" picture quality. BTW, I have Dish.
+1.

Glad it's not just me! I have Fios and the picture was awfully grainy. I wasn't sure if that's the look the director was going for or just subpar HD. I guess it's the latter!
post #201 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Did anyone else notice the zombie outside the department store holding a brick in his hand? I'm going to assume that that particular zombie died while holding a brick. I don't want to believe that the zombie picked up the brick after it became a zombie. Why would a zombie pick up a brick? Its not something it would try to eat. Thoughts?

On the topic of what to call the zombies. I don't mind the term "walkers"; but the term "geek," is just stupid. Do these geeks play Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft, or hang out on AVSforum? No. They are the walking dead, who try to eat the living. "Geeks" just doesn't work for me.

I'm happy to see that "The Walking Dead" got a second season so quickly. Its nice to see a show I like not get cancelled halfway through the season due to low ratings.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #202 of 6222 Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

Did anyone else notice the zombie outside the department store holding a brick in his hand? I'm going to assume that that particular zombie died while holding a brick. I don't want to believe that the zombie picked up the brick after it became a zombie. Why would a zombie pick up a brick? Its not something it would try to eat. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Millard Rausch View Post

"There are reports of these creatures using tools. But even these actions are the most primitive; the use of tools as bludgeons and so forth. I might point out that even animals will adopt the use of tools in this manner."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Dawn_of...Millard_Rausch

Not even an issue....
post #203 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffg View Post

The primary danger (for now) comes from "walkers" instead of starvation (although they'll soon have to deal with food and other resource shortages) or cold (shouldn't be too much of an issue in Georgia / Southeast US) or neighbors wanting the available resources.

It gets plenty cold in Georgia, certainly cold enough to kill if exposure is a problem. The difference is there isn't much severe cold (0 degrees or below) nor 5 months of it at a time like elsewhere in the US.

I agree our heroes won't have to deal with it though as there seems to be plenty of shelter and resources around for the time being.
post #204 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the ways to terminate an undead walker? We've seen that a bullet in the brain does the trick, or an axe in the brain, but what are the approved methods in zombie-lore?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #205 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are the ways to terminate an undead walker? We've seen that a bullet in the brain does the trick, or an axe in the brain, but what are the approved methods in zombie-lore?

Anything that destroys the brain. It can be a gunshot or blunt trauma.
post #206 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

On the topic of what to call the zombies. I don't mind the term "walkers"; but the term "geek," is just stupid. Do these geeks play Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft, or hang out on AVSforum? No. They are the walking dead, who try to eat the living. "Geeks" just doesn't work for me.

I'm happy to see that "The Walking Dead" got a second season so quickly. Its nice to see a show I like not get cancelled halfway through the season due to low ratings.

Oddly enough, the only other time I've heard the term "Geek" in a horror movie was in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, as that's what Nubbin was referred to by the two college pricks, lol.

Nubbin... you know, the thing that Bill Moseley was holding all the time,
post #207 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:

bullet to the brain, or remove the head. They can also be burned to death, although if it doesn't cook the brain fast enough you now have a flaming flesh eating zombie heading your way.

Best weapon is the Lobo, an all purpose, but quiet tool that the US Military adopted after some months of getting overrun.
post #208 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have the same question I do with all zombie stories. How do they survive? Seems most of the population is either zombie happy meal or zombified, and the zombies are driven to eat so they need food, which is awfully scarce, and they're not especially resourceful hunters, shouldn't they have starved by now? Seems to me the way to survive the zombie apocalypse isn't to run around doing whatever, but to hoard food and water and hole up somewhere and wait for the zombie problem to resolve itself.

How come the guy wakes up in the hospital with shorts on, and not a gown that opens in the back. How come he isn't catheterized? How has he been peeing all this time? Forget zombies. Try pulling a tube out of your urethra, there's your gross factor right there.

Impressive production, but the dialogue is a bit hokey at time. I will keep watching, bc I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.
post #209 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to know how the sheriff deputy survived unconcious in the hospital unattended for a month without getting eaten or starving to death or dying from dehydration. There's no way his IV bag would still contain anything for that length of time. I saw no colostomy or catheder on him either. Also, how in the hell can theses walking dead defeat our military? I saw downed military helicopters and tanks. I like the show but there plenty of holes in the plotting. And while I completely understand the one has to suspend reality to enjoy these types of shows, there are plenty of ways around the holes I mentioned as well as the others.
post #210 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

I would like to know how the sheriff deputy survived unconcious in the hospital unattended for a month without getting eaten or starving to death or dying from dehydration. There's no way his IV bag would still contain anything for that length of time. I saw no colostomy or catheder on him either. Also, how in the hell can theses walking dead defeat our military? I saw downed military helicopters and tanks. I like the show but there plenty of holes in the plotting. And while I completely understand the one has to suspend reality to enjoy these types of shows, there are plenty of ways around the holes I mentioned as well as the others.

You have to be able to suspend disbelief to enjoy these shows, otherwise you're wasting your time. Why obsess about the things above, when you've ignored the most obvious plot hole: the "fever" that causes dead people to become walkers? There's no explanation for that, either.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page