AVS Forum banner
685K views 15K replies 533 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Quote:
AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead

AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

About the Producers

Robert Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) will also serve as Executive Producer, and Jack LoGiudice (Sons of Anarchy, Resurrection Blvd) will serve as Co-Executive Producer.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

If you aren't suffering from zombie fatigue this starts Sunday October 31st, 10/9C.

It's like 28 Day Later - if the movie had continued to be about zombies in the second half.

Dread Central has some good behind-the-scenes coverage:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/389...king-dead-life

Reactions: Young C
#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow /forum/post/19422091

You are not alone. I really hate animals being hurt in TV or movies -- especially domestic animals, especially pets, even if it's offscreen. I had to start having someone pre-screen "House" for me after they killed a dog, showed a dead cat and did a cat AUTOPSY that almost required me to take a valium afterward.

I am pretty much resigned to whenever there's a cute animal onscreen, they are probably going to die, especially in a show like TWD. That doesn't mean I didn't watch the scene with the horse through my fingers, though.

(BTW, TV producers know perfectly well how the public feels about harm to cute animals. Three years after Prison Break, a show with a staggeringly high body count started, they were still getting letters about the cat from season 1.)

whitearrow, your resident wuss when it comes to animals

What are your reactions to people getting killed on screen.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19425265

What are your reactions to people getting killed on screen.

Depends on the context and graphic-ness. "Cartoon" type live-action violence doesn't upset me, but a graphic murder in an R-rated movie will. But there isn't any context in which I tolerate seeing animals harmed particularly well. It bothers me more in a movie theater, where you tend to be more immersed in the experience. It just makes me want to go home and hug my pets.

(I totally admit that it's not something I'm rational about.)

#123 ·
During the scene when Rick walks out of the hospital for the first time and views all of the bodies on the ground, I remarked to my wife how this could be quite tough for any of the survivors or families of survivors from the Haiti earthquakes, if they were watching. The scenes were pretty much the same with the bodies lain besides the roads in piles, as per news reports and videos.

It makes you wonder sometimes if it's the writer/director's intent (in a fictional setting) to draw attention to past or present happenings in the real world that could be relevant to the story. Rick had no idea that there were "walkers" until he met Morgan, so who knows what went through his mind at the sight of all of those bodies.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 /forum/post/19425648

During the scene when Rick walks out of the hospital for the first time and views all of the bodies on the ground, I remarked to my wife how this could be quite tough for any of the survivors or families of survivors from the Haiti earthquakes, if they were watching.

Everything on television has the potential to do that.

If I were traumatized from the Haiti earthquake disaster I don't think my choice of viewing would be a show about the living dead to begin with.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow /forum/post/19424940

When I saw 28 Days Later, the first thing it reminded me of was Stu finding out he was alone in the hospital in The Stand...

Its also been done in many other things. Day of the Triffids had the whole wake up in a hospital and everything is crazy.

There's an episode of South Park where one of the kids is trying to find something that the Simpsons hasn't done, and the conclusion is basically that everything has been done before (The Simpsons having taken a lot from Outer Limits and older shows/movies) so stop worrying so much about things copying.

#127 ·
Very good first episode. Some of the best sound on a TV program that I have heard. Check the shoot-out 12 minutes in, excellent, the car alarm going off in the house early on and of course the tank scene. Great to see Lennie James again, it has some characteristics of Jericho, hope we see him again. Sarah Tancretti, another shout out to Prison. Not being a comic book fan I kept thinking of Will Smith's I am Legend, duritng the scene in Atlanta when the Zombies we're huddled together. BTW, our hero passed up a fully loaded 50 cal on his way to the tank. Gonna keep watching....

#129 ·
Here's a nitpick for you (though I loved the show). Wouldn't there have been cars trying to leave Atlanta on BOTH sides of the freeway? Evacuations regularly reverse the flow of lanes, and if it was an unofficial evacuation would you really pass up the other side of the highway that apparently has no oncoming traffic?

#130 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/19427892

Here's a nitpick for you (though I loved the show). Wouldn't there have been cars trying to leave Atlanta on BOTH sides of the freeway? Evacuations regularly reverse the flow of lanes, and if it was an unofficial evacuation would you really pass up the other side of the highway that apparently has no oncoming traffic?

You're overestimating the intelligence of Atlanta residents and government.

On that note, they may not have been evacuating, traffic like that is pretty common in Atlanta, even when there isn't a Zombie apocalypse.

#131 ·

Quote:

Would Atlanta even have an evacuation procedure? Too far south for blizzard issues. Too far inland for hurricanes. No nearby rivers, so no flood dangers either.

I suppose they could've instituted one in the moment, but who knows how quickly this all went down. Based on the heavy zombie population in Atlanta city, and the fact that all those empty cars are there (and so many cars had bodies in them), I don't think this was a very orderly evacuation.

#133 ·

Quote:

They also said that Atlanta was broadcasting for people to come to Atlanta as it was safe. I was surprised at that scene because I expected the traffic to be exact opposite, a traffic jam going into the city.

#134 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 /forum/post/19427954

You're overestimating the intelligence of Atlanta residents and government.

On that note, they may not have been evacuating, traffic like that is pretty common in Atlanta, even when there isn't a Zombie apocalypse.

LOL, at least we have a real football team this year, unlike Charlotte.

#135 ·
Just got around to watching it this morning.

Slow going until Lennie James shows up. Of course, everything gets better with Lennie James. Then again, has Lennie James been typecast into being the last adult black male alive (see Jericho)?

I loved the final five minutes. That last bit with the guy on the radio calling our hero a dumbass was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/19421623

I enjoyed the pilot and will watch more, but the end scene with the horse dismemberment was disturbing to me. I dont care if they show a human being torn apart as this is expected, but not animals-go figure.

I suspect that was a very conscious choice by the writers and producers. It was their way of getting past the basic disconnect we have from seeing human killed in zombie stories and getting down the horror of watching these zombies destroy something beautiful.

The horse was set up well, too. They take enough time to characterize the horse's relationship with the Deputy. They set up a series of great shots where the horse exists to mock the rapid breakdown of motorized society. So, you're thinking, "Hey, I like this horse. I can't wait to hear what his backstory is." And then -- BAM -- oh, **** zombies run run more zombies oh **** ah . . . dead horse . . . delicious horse . . . crap, now I'm hiding in a tank.

It was a good way to cut down to awfulness of the main character's predicament. And then, just as that sets in, we hear the radio. Queue next episode.

#136 ·
I was VERY impressed with the premiere.

This is a subject/genre that I never would have expected to be brought to television.

Hats off to AMC for having the guts to give it a go. Many years ago I used to think of AMC as being TMC's "poor cousion". I couldn't stand the commercial break format chopping up movies and it seemed that most cable/satellite providers allotted such crappy bandwidth to AMC that I used to consider the pic quality as almost being unwatchable.

But wow, AMC has really come into its own with its original programming lineup!!

I have to admit I was a little caught off guard by the OPENING SCENE!

I for the life of me cannot ever think of any other TV program that depicted a graphic, execution style head shot to a small child. Sure, she was "dead", but geez... a little girl in bunny slippers carrying her "teddy"!! Wow!

I was expecting this to be "Zombie-Lite"... You know, watered down for TV. I am glad to see they are NOT going to pull any punches.

#139 ·
I've still got this DVR'd, but figured I'd ask before I go back and watch this. Where is the town that Rick is a cop in? I'm curious because he decides to drive down to Atlanta on I-85, (and I'm from Greenville, SC) so we can deduce that he's at least south of Charlotte, but what kinda gas mileage is he getting that he can't make it from South Carolina (hypothetically) to Atlanta?

Also, I've only been to Atlanta twice, but there was quite a bit of city before you get to the part on I-85 that is shown (the scene depicting downtown Atlanta in the background). Seems kinda strange that the only survivors would be near Georgia Tech University, lol.

#140 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 /forum/post/19431148

I've still got this DVR'd, but figured I'd ask before I go back and watch this. Where is the town that Rick is a cop in? I'm curious because he decides to drive down to Atlanta on I-85, (and I'm from Greenville, SC) so we can deduce that he's at least south of Charlotte, but what kinda gas mileage is he getting that he can't make it from South Carolina (hypothetically) to Atlanta?

Why does he have to be at least south of Charlotte?

Couldn't he be from Virginia?

I haven't read the comics, so I don't know where he came from.