Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I have the same question I do with all zombie stories. How do they survive? Seems most of the population is either zombie happy meal or zombified, and the zombies are driven to eat so they need food, which is awfully scarce, and they're not especially resourceful hunters, shouldn't they have starved by now? Seems to me the way to survive the zombie apocalypse isn't to run around doing whatever, but to hoard food and water and hole up somewhere and wait for the zombie problem to resolve itself.

How come the guy wakes up in the hospital with shorts on, and not a gown that opens in the back. How come he isn't catheterized? How has he been peeing all this time? Forget zombies. Try pulling a tube out of your urethra, there's your gross factor right there.

Impressive production, but the dialogue is a bit hokey at time. I will keep watching, bc I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.

Traditional Romero zombie lore is that most of their higher functions have all shut down, but some biological processes are still running. The primitive areas of the brain, the nervous system, and the muscles. They don't need oxygen, and are using some sort of anaerobic energy process. Feeding is a byproduct of some instinct, as even bodiless head will still try to feed.

They also tend to rot quite slower, maybe due to the fact they're basically cold blooded. They tend to rot slower in cold climates, vs warm, and have even been known to survive freezing winters once the thaw comes.

All in all, there's a little mystery to the zombie mythos. They will eventually rot away, but it takes quite a while apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

You have to be able to suspend disbelief to enjoy these shows, otherwise you're wasting your time. Why obsess about the things above, when you've ignored the most obvious plot hole: the "fever" that causes dead people to become walkers? There's no explanation for that, either.

Exactly.

This isn't going to be a show to pick apart like BSG, or Trek. There's no real mystery, and there's no huge background of information. It's just a story we're dropping into along the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

You have to be able to suspend disbelief to enjoy these shows, otherwise you're wasting your time. Why obsess about the things above, when you've ignored the most obvious plot hole: the "fever" that causes dead people to become walkers? There's no explanation for that, either.

As I said, I understand you have to suspend belief and all that, but some of these holes make no sense and could have much better, easier explanations. Sloppy and lazy I think. But again, I still really like the show so far.
post #213 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

As I said, I understand you have to suspend belief and all that, but some of these holes make no sense and could have much better, easier explanations. Sloppy and lazy I think. But again, I still really like the show so far.

Why stop there though? I mean shouldn't everybody have wrinkled and dirty clothes? How come the women are still attractive, with perfect makeup and well coifed hair? How come they don't smell so bad from lack of bathing nobody can bear to be near them? Why don't they ever have to go to the bathroom? Why are those in the woods not being under constant attack of insects? Heck, why aren't there huge swarms of flies covering Atlanta? And on and on... I don't think its sloppy or lazy they don't explain every detail. It just wouldn't make for compelling drama.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #214 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Yeah... I actually don't want an explanation of how the zombies came to be.

And some people didn't care to know what the island on Lost was. I, on the other hand, care deeply for these things. I dont believe it is a nitpick to ask this question. While other survivor shows will always get the questions of why are men so shaved, women still pretty and what about that time of the month? I dont care to know these answers, but i think my question is more central to the plot.

I thought the characters in the second episode were very one dementional and horribly acted. Whereas, in the pilot, we got to see how the dad and his son survived and were emotionally attached to them. I hope they give these supporting characters more time to grow and make us care. Except for the racist guy on the roof. I hope we never see him again because he is one of those bad guys we hate to hate. Unlike a Benjamin Linus who we loved with a passion to hate.

I have hope that they can keep the quality higher and still give us payoffs every episode.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #215 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Why stop there though? I mean shouldn't everybody have wrinkled and dirty clothes? How come the women are still attractive, with perfect makeup and well coifed hair? How come they don't smell so bad from lack of bathing nobody can bear to be near them? Why don't they ever have to go to the bathroom? Why are those in the woods not being under constant attack of insects? Heck, why aren't there huge swarms of flies covering Atlanta? And on and on... I don't think its sloppy or lazy they don't explain every detail. It just wouldn't make for compelling drama.

I disagree, as this doesn't really address what I'm saying. The deputy laid in a bed for a month unattended. It would have been better if some doctor escaped with him, being that he's a deputy it makes sense to save law enforcement, and nursed him back to health. It would not have taken anytime. It could have still started with him waking up and then finding the world changed. It's just these things that I find annoying. I don't care about shaving, makeup, and bathroom issues.
post #216 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I missed the beginning...they spelled out he was alone for a month with no food or water? That would be a huge plothole.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #217 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

And some people didn't care to know what the island on Lost was. I, on the other hand, care deeply for these things. I dont believe it is a nitpick to ask this question. While other survivor shows will always get the questions of why are men so shaved, women still pretty and what about that time of the month? I dont care to know these answers, but i think my question is more central to the plot.

I've only read 17 issues from Walking Dead, but even in those 17 issues they get into this a bit. I suspect this issue is tackled throughout the entire series, albeit slowly.

If the show is faithful in that regard, you'll get stuff related to how the undead came to be and how it works, just at a slow pace.
post #218 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

I have hope that they can keep the quality higher and still give us payoffs every episode.

I hope so too! Having the graphic novels as a resource should help greatly here.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #219 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Fantastic show.

Feels like a weekly movie.
post #220 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

And some people didn't care to know what the island on Lost was. I, on the other hand, care deeply for these things.

Lost was completely different, because the island was different. It was a relatively original concept with a new mythology.

Zombies have been done to death (haha). There's nothing new there, so why care how they were created? With all the zombie franchises and movies that have been and gone over the decades almost ever variation on the them has been tried. Sometimes more than once.

Chemical spills, virus leaks, radiation, aliens, comet dust, test drugs gone bad, military experiments, animal bites, curses ...

filling in that particular blank isn't worth any effort. Whatever they come up with it will have been done before and the only reaction it will get from me is a yawn.

post #221 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:

I would like to know how the sheriff deputy survived unconcious in the hospital unattended for a month without getting eaten or starving to death or dying from dehydration. There's no way his IV bag would still contain anything for that length of time. I saw no colostomy or catheder on him either. Also, how in the hell can theses walking dead defeat our military? I saw downed military helicopters and tanks. I like the show but there plenty of holes in the plotting. And while I completely understand the one has to suspend reality to enjoy these types of shows, there are plenty of ways around the holes I mentioned as well as the others.

I think for things to make sense, the Zombie plague had to be an all-at-once world wide phenomena. I like the Night of the Comet type of explanation where the Earth passes through some mysterious particle cloud. Perhaps some people have a strong immunity or somehow had less exposure to the dust. As a result, they survive the initial exposure and now need a bite to get infected. If a large part of the population is infected at once, then it becomes much more difficult for the military/law enforcement to form a coherent defense. Perhaps the helicopters and tanks were from a few military members trying to do something, but not having the coordinated manpower to ultimately make a difference.
post #222 of 6222 Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I missed the beginning...they spelled out he was alone for a month with no food or water? That would be a huge plothole.

There was no clarification as to how long he was left alone in the hospital. Everyone is just assuming it was a month because they watched 28 Days Later.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #223 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
One of the subtle things in the Romero movies... was that regardless of how the Zombies came to be... you didn't have to be bitten to become a Zombie.

Basically, if you died and weren't obliterated (at least your head), then you came back too...

So, even if you manage to stay healthy and survive and don't get bitten... eventually the Zombies win out because everyone has to die eventually.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #224 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, I believe one of the characters, the deputy's friend who is banging his wife, in the first episode said they had been out for a I believe a month or a few weeks. A few weeks or a month, no way he survives without getting eaten or starving to death or dying from dehydration.
post #225 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

Actually, I believe one of the characters, the deputy's friend who is banging his wife, in the first episode said they had been out for a I believe a month or a few weeks. A few weeks or a month, no way he survives without getting eaten or starving to death or dying from dehydration.

They said they hadn't seen him, but that doesn't mean anything. The entire civilian area could have been evacuated but that doesn't mean that all the hospital staff just walked out.

There could have been a nurse by his side until the day before he woke up for all we know.

post #226 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

You know what I think I have noticed (correct me if i am wrong) that in two episodes I have yet to hear anyone say or use the word zombie.

IMO, i believe in their "universe" they never heard of such thing before.

remember in Ep1, the kid and dude from JERICHO said that they were heading for atlanta where that "disease" place is (CDC).

they still assume that there is a cure for this.

so the assumption that everyone is just sick is believable.

and as for the term zombies? no such thing... lol...

leo d.
post #227 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

1. Who said they are not going to the bathroom? Just because they are not showing it on TV, they have plenty of time to go to the batroom in the hours between scenes.
2. Why can't they put makeup on? I understand it would be stupid but why not? Everything in the world didn't vanish all of a sudden.
3. The clothes are VERY dirty. The sherrif's shirt was showing a lot of dust and grim, as are the others.
4. Why would they not be bathing? If they are by a lake or stream, plus they already showed there is still running water in the houses in the first episode. They still have soap, again, not everything vanished in the world, there is a LOT of stuff leftover now with so few people needing them.
5. Why would they be under constant attack from insects in the woods? I have gone camping and have at times never had to use insect repellant.

post #228 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They said they hadn't seen him, but that doesn't mean anything. The entire civilian area could have been evacuated but that doesn't mean that all the hospital staff just walked out.

There could have been a nurse by his side until the day before he woke up for all we know.

Maybe it was the corpse in the hallway.

They pretty much brushed over it with the IV drip, and him needing water immediately. That takes care of the dehydration. Is it realistic? no, but neither is the dead walking the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

blah blah blah

Thats the point, use your imagination
post #229 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM

I am really enjoying this show so far.

I for one am glad that they didn't explain all of the intricacies of how the zombies started and how the sheriff survived right away.

I think that could make for some good plot twists later in the season.
post #230 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Stop questioning..and just sit back and enjoy the show!
post #231 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

"Geeks" just doesn't work for me.

from wikipedia:
In 19th century, in North-America, the term geek referred to a freak in circus side-shows. In some cases, its performance included biting the head off a live chicken.

that definition was what I was thinking of. somewhat creative if that is what they were going for.

I watched the first two episodes today. overall, pretty exciting and definitely worth watching. will be interesting to see where it goes.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I really hope we never see the guy on the roof again. unfortunately, considering how the bag with the hacksaw was knocked over, i think we will. show seems strong enough to not need that kind of transparent writing.
post #232 of 6222 Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

from wikipedia:
In 19th century, in North-America, the term geek referred to a freak in circus side-shows. In some cases, its performance included biting the head off a live chicken.

that definition was what I was thinking of. somewhat creative if that is what they were going for.

I watched the first two episodes today. overall, pretty exciting and definitely worth watching. will be interesting to see where it goes.

Spoiler  
I really hope we never see the guy on the roof again. unfortunately, considering how the bag with the hacksaw was knocked over, i think we will. show seems strong enough to not need that kind of transparent writing.

No need to spoilerize that; what forbidden foreknowledge are you revealing? However, Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon) is far too prominent an actor to have such a limited role. Of course, the fallen bag w/ hacksaw was a very big clue to at least his immediate fate.
post #233 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

No need to spoilerize that; what forbidden foreknowledge are you revealing? However, Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon) is far too prominent an actor to have such a limited role. Of course, the fallen bag w/ hacksaw was a very big clue to at least his immediate fate.

So was the preview shown during the end credits!
post #234 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

So was the preview shown during the end credits!

For some odd reason my DVR (SA8300HD) cuts off a program a few seconds prior to the full hour, so I miss a lot of previews as most shows now end those previews right at the hour mark. Extending the record time by a minute isn't an option because then it laps over into the following show and can create conflicts if something else is scheduled to record. But it's nice to know my reasoning on this character's future was sound.
post #235 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Maybe it was the corpse in the hallway.

They pretty much brushed over it with the IV drip, and him needing water immediately. That takes care of the dehydration. Is it realistic? no, but neither is the dead walking the earth.

Thats the point, use your imagination

What are you talking about? I am the one who is using his imagination. I am not questioning what is happening behind the scenes with the bathroom and soap.

post #236 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

For some odd reason my DVR (SA8300HD) cuts off a program a few seconds prior to the full hour, so I miss a lot of previews as most shows now end those previews right at the hour mark. Extending the record time by a minute isn't an option because then it laps over into the following show and can create conflicts if something else is scheduled to record. But it's nice to know my reasoning on this character's future was sound.

I hear ya. It seems on some channels to be worse than others, too. FX and HBO have been a problem for me on showings of their original series...
post #237 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

love the show so far...can't wait for the two old sherrifs buddies to meet up! i've read all the comics up to #72, everyone here should too...they are an extremely quick read and I think enhances watching the show, plus the show has been a bit diffrent with the overall ideas still there.
post #238 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B View Post

love the show so far...can't wait for the two old sherrifs buddies to meet up! i've read all the comics up to #72, everyone here should too...they are an extremely quick read and I think enhances watching the show, plus the show has been a bit diffrent with the overall ideas still there.

I don't think I want to do that. Rather let the show surprise me. But I might read the comics after the show has finished its run.
post #239 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think I want to do that. Rather let the show surprise me. But I might read the comics after the show has finished its run.

Well then you are in for one hell of a ride! haha there will be lots and lots of surprises down the line...i read the comics way before a show was even announced.
post #240 of 6222 Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

This show is so dang good. When we watch it I keep saying to myself this is as good as a full feature length movie. It has become event night for us and when it gets close my wife keeps texting me Zombies tonight!

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page