post #241 of 6581 Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

And some people didn't care to know what the island on Lost was. I, on the other hand, care deeply for these things. I dont believe it is a nitpick to ask this question. While other survivor shows will always get the questions of why are men so shaved, women still pretty and what about that time of the month? I dont care to know these answers, but i think my question is more central to the plot.

I thought the characters in the second episode were very one dementional and horribly acted. Whereas, in the pilot, we got to see how the dad and his son survived and were emotionally attached to them. I hope they give these supporting characters more time to grow and make us care. Except for the racist guy on the roof. I hope we never see him again because he is one of those bad guys we hate to hate. Unlike a Benjamin Linus who we loved with a passion to hate.

I have hope that they can keep the quality higher and still give us payoffs every episode.

As people die, supplies for the remaining people become more plentiful. Ammunition shouldn't be a problem either, so that our small-town policeman can leave Atlanta, re-unite with his son and philandering wife, mess around with the brother of the racist they left chained on that roof, and return to Atlanta to find his bag-o-guns still lying right where he left it in the street.

All you do is grab the phone book, and highlight the addresses of gun stores, food stores, and drug stores. Go visit them when supplies do start to dwindle. One could probably do this for years.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 6581 Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I missed the beginning...they spelled out he was alone for a month with no food or water? That would be a huge plothole.

They didn't specify yet how long he was out. He just remembered his partner coming in and leaving a vase of flowers for him. Then, he wakes up, at least long enough for the flowers to have wilted and turned brittle.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #243 of 6581 Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
November 14, 2010
At AMC, Two Character Dramas, Just One Hit
By BRIAN STELTER

At this time of year, network television executives survey the dead shows of autumn and ask, what went wrong?

AMC, the movie channel turned hourlong drama powerhouse, is instead surveying its new hit about a zombie attack, The Walking Dead, and asking, what went right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/bu...gewanted=print
post #244 of 6581 Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
oooh, tonites episode just finished, it's turning into 'saw 8' or '9' or whatever the saw franchise is up to.

mike rooker, love his acting. hope he stays with the show for a while.
post #245 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

November 14, 2010
By BRIAN STELTER

At this time of year, network television executives survey the dead shows of autumn and ask, what went wrong?

AMC, the movie channel turned hourlong drama powerhouse, is instead surveying its new hit about a zombie attack, The Walking Dead, and asking, what went right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/bu...gewanted=print

Your post tile is incorrect, this is not the most watched scripted series in cable history.

This is the most watched scripted cable series in the 18-49 demo only. In terms of viewer numbers it gets beaten by plenty of other shows on cable.

post #246 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The reunion came far faster than I thought it would but I guess it was to be expected with such a short run.

The first half hour of this episode I thought was extremely dull and the reunion itself just left me cold - kind of like how Sarah Wayne Callies seems to be with every character she plays on television. Even on Prison Break she didn't seem to have an chemistry with the rest of the cast and she appears to be the same way here.

The second half as the tensions started to rise I thought was much better, even though the ending you could see coming from a long way as other people did last week. This episode definitely felt to me like the quiet middle ground between the beginning and the end of this season.

And Michael Rooker is going to be pissed when they find him. Even if he's dead.

post #247 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 AM

i liked seeing the guy they got to be his brother. the hunter one, normal reed i think his name is, i've only seen him in boondock saints but he did a great job in it
post #248 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Great show, good mix of action and human drama.

Its simple formula works great..is this series only six episodes?
post #249 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Its simple formula works great..is this series only six episodes?

Yep, so it takes us nicely up to the holidays.

The final episode this season is going to be a Christmas Special in which they find themselves trapped in a mall under siege from zombie store Santas.

Ho, ho, arrgggghhh.

post #250 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
good one VisionOn

personally after seeing the first episode I can't see watching any more.
same old same old.

its been done 100 times before

zombie store Santas
at least this is original
post #251 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The reunion came far faster than I thought it would but I guess it was to be expected with such a short run.

In the source material it happens quickly too, so it has nothing to do with the fact that season 1 is only 6 eps. The focus of the source material is not his search for his wife and child, but rather the survival of them, and other drama...
post #252 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

In the source material it happens quickly too, so it has nothing to do with the fact that season 1 is only 6 eps. The focus of the source material is not his search for his wife and child, but rather the survival of them, and other drama...

Ignoring the comics, my expectation was based on the intense scene they had last week in which Grimes emphasizes through gritted teeth how during his search for his wife "anyone who gets in the way of that is going to lose."

And that turned out to be a very anticlimactic announcement. Since nobody had the chance to get in the way between last week and this.

Normally a scene like that would cue up some kind of emotional and physical journey for the character and in the end it merely involved walking to a truck. They didn't even have a showdown between him and his ex-partner before a reconciliation with his wife.

post #253 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

And Michael Rooker is going to be pissed when they find him. Even if he's dead.

Why didn't he just cut the bolt instead, or even the thin chain holding the handcuffs together? More dramatic cutting the hand off I guess.
post #254 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

zombie store Santas
at least this is original

Well ... if you don't count killer Christmas trees from outer space ... ?
post #255 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Business Notes
By Brian Stelter, The New York Times - November 15th, 2010

On its face, The Walking Dead would seem a hard sell to viewers, with its gory flesh-eating scenes and its comic-book roots. But when the first episode was shown on Halloween, it ranked as the most watched scripted series in the history of cable television among 18- to 49-year-olds, a demographic courted by advertisers and by AMC.

Last week, AMC executives ordered a second season of The Walking Dead and, at an off-site retreat, celebrated the victory. They also promptly canceled another show, Rubicon, a conspiracy theory thriller that put up disappointing ratings after it had its premiere over the summer.

Both shows were character-centric dramas, but the differences were stark. Rubicon was criticized for plodding along, while The Walking Dead was praised for its cliffhanger endings. And Rubicon started in August, which, in the new math of the television season, was a more competitive time of year. Around Halloween, The Walking Dead, said Gary Lico, the chief executive of CableU, had an open field since most new network shows had started four to six weeks before.

Perhaps most important, The Walking Dead had some of the markings and some of the marketing of a feature-length film. Frank Darabont, who directed The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, developed the series and directed the first episode, which was close to 90 minutes long. Robert Kirkman, who helped write the comic books of the same name, was on the set much of the time. The series had its premiere in dozens of countries at the same time, backed by a marketing budget that its international distributor, Fox International, called unprecedented.

Every now and then in this business, Mr. Lico said, things just come together.

Similarly, the president of AMC, Charlie Collier, said there was a pretty wonderful confluence of events.

In an interview last week, he foremost credited Mr. Kirkman, Mr. Darabont and the other creative forces behind the series. He said the comic books brought a passionate genre fan base, and suggested that others were attracted to the show for the same reason we were, which is that it's a character drama and it's about survival.

Mr. Kirkman concurred in an interview, saying, It's something that succeeds in movies all the time, but I don't think anybody has seen survival horror on TV before.

The first episode drew 5.3 million viewers, a record for AMC, a unit of Cablevision's Rainbow Media, and the second, on Nov. 7, drew 4.8 million.

The show was spun off from the seven-year-old comic book series. Gale Anne Hurd, one of the executive producers, said that in the pitch meeting late last year, the channel executives were already genuinely familiar with Mr. Kirkman's work. You often pitch people who say they've read something, but haven't, she remarked.

Within two days of the meeting, AMC asked for a pilot script, which Mr. Darabont then wrote. Rather than producing just a pilot episode, however, the channel decided to order six episodes outright, an unusual step in the TV business. We looked at the source material, looked at the people, and said, We gotta get this on the air for Halloween,' Mr. Collier said.

AMC caters to horror fans each October with a two-week movie marathon, Fearfest, giving The Walking Dead a relevant lead-in. Producing just six episodes limited the damage in case the series flopped, though Mr. Collier said it was never intended as a miniseries.

The advantage in producing six episodes in a row was continuity, Ms. Hurd said, keeping the cast members in character and keeping the same crew members employed. It was also, to be honest, far more cost-effective, she said.

The episodes were filmed almost entirely on location in and around Atlanta, where a roughly 30 percent tax credit cut down costs. AMC declined to comment on the show's budget, but two people with knowledge of the production said each episode cost $2 million to $2.5 million, a price that puts it in line with other high-end dramas on cable, though still below the equivalent prices on broadcast television.

Limiting the financial exposure, AMC sold all international rights to The Walking Dead in advance to Fox International, an arm of the News Corporation. Fox International then introduced the show in those markets simultaneously, making it more like a theatrical release, said Sharon Tal Yguado, a senior vice president at Fox International. Marketers organized zombie-walking stunts in about two dozen cities.

Ms. Tal Yguado said she thought it helped that the whole project was positioned as an event. Already, Fox International has been boasting of the show's strong ratings in countries like Korea and Venezuela.

In the United States, an October debut allowed The Walking Dead to catch the tailwind of Mad Men, AMC's best known show, which had its fourth season finale on Oct. 17. They had the Mad Men' momentum, Mr. Lico said. Rubicon, on the other hand, was introduced shortly after Mad Men returned in the summer.

Mr. Lico thought Rubicon also suffered because it was too complicated to explain to viewers, In contrast, with zombies, you get it, he said. It's a one-sentence thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/bu...dia/15amc.html
post #256 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm still up in the air about this show. My problems with it are pretty much what others are saying. So far, it seems like the plot and characters are so broadly portrayed that its easy to predict what they are going to do or say. But there are just enough surprises to keep me mildly intrigued so it could go either way. Both law officers seem to have a hardness to them when they are crossed which I like. A lot depends on how they portray the two redneck brothers-so far they're pretty much stereotypes, but again there are hints that they might be something more than just stock characters. I'm cautiously optimistic...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #257 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The episodes were filmed almost entirely on location in and around Atlanta, where a roughly 30 percent tax credit cut down costs. AMC declined to comment on the show’s budget, but two people with knowledge of the production said each episode cost $2 million to $2.5 million, a price that puts it in line with other high-end dramas on cable, though still below the equivalent prices on broadcast television.

There's no way last night's episode cost $2 million, it barely had two or three zombies in it. To me that was the 'filler' episode before we get a few more big-time zombie action/gore scenes at various locales (hinted at in the previews for next week).
post #258 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

They're sure not spending the money on video capture quality.
post #259 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

It would have been better if some doctor escaped with him, being that he's a deputy it makes sense to save law enforcement, and nursed him back to health. It would not have taken anytime. It could have still started with him waking up and then finding the world changed.

Yes, but then he wouldn't have woken up alone. It wouldn't have been so disorienting and terrifying if someone had been there with him. It wouldn't have been nearly as dramatic.
post #260 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Why didn't he just cut the bolt instead, or even the thin chain holding the handcuffs together? More dramatic cutting the hand off I guess.

And why did he leave his hand behind? He could have thrown it to use as a diversionary snack.

post #261 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm thinking he probably tried cutting thru the metal objects but it would've taken too long. or the blade may have been too far gone, etc.
flesh and bone is much softer. easier to cut thru. 'course, it hurts a wee bit.
post #262 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ignoring the comics, my expectation was based on the intense scene they had last week in which Grimes emphasizes through gritted teeth how during his search for his wife "anyone who gets in the way of that is going to lose."

And that turned out to be a very anticlimactic announcement. Since nobody had the chance to get in the way between last week and this.

Normally a scene like that would cue up some kind of emotional and physical journey for the character and in the end it merely involved walking to a truck. They didn't even have a showdown between him and his ex-partner before a reconciliation with his wife.

But this isn't a normal TV show, nor normal original source material. And given that this is a TV series based on a long series in print, you really can't ignore the source material here, even if someone is not familiar with it (unless it is well known that the show will significantly deviate from the source material, but everything I heard is that a large portion of it will be faithful to the source material).

FWIW, when I originally read this portion of the source material, I was surprised too at how early the reuninion was. Point is, that relates to the source material as opposed to a flaw in the TV show.
post #263 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And why did he leave his hand behind? He could have thrown it to use as a diversionary snack.

Henry Lee Lucas carrying his own hand around? Nah!
post #264 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

But this isn't a normal TV show, nor normal original source material. And given that this is a TV series based on a long series in print, you really can't ignore the source material here, even if someone is not familiar with it.

No you can ignore the source material. It's not relevant to how a scene is presented on screen, especially for those who have never seen the source. A filmed version of anything literary should always be able to stand alone and alongside any other original television or movie product. When something is given the space and gravitas that would mean something on any other show then the same still applies here.

The expectation for this viewer based on that scene was that it hinted at a longer and more difficult road to his goal.

Just as last week when the scene of Grimes handling and stashing the grenade was treated with some importance that would indicate it was going to be used later. It doesn't matter that a grenade was shown and then never used in the comic, from the way it was shot and shown on screen it was given focus that was never needed, because viewers then expected the grenade to be used - Chekov's gun.

post #265 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Henry Lee Lucas carrying his own hand around? Nah!

Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell did.
post #266 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No you can ignore the source material. It's not relevant to how a scene is presented on screen, especially for those who have never seen the source. A filmed version of anything literary should always be able to stand alone and alongside any other original television or movie product. When something is given the space and gravitas that would mean something on any other show then the same still applies here.

That can work for source material turned into a movie, but to explain why things are unfolding as they are (And not as you expect them to be from one scene) with this long series turned into what will be a long running TV show, would require spoilers. There is a difference there, and I'm sure others who have read the source material and read your comment about what you expected are thinking the same thing, but of course we don't want to spoil (or potentially spoil).

Thus there is a distinction watching this while it airs vs. when LOST aired, whether you've read the source material for Walking Dead or not. WIth LOST only the writers knew where they are going, with this millions of us know where they are going, even if you are not one of those millions.

Long story short, gotta keep watching to see how this all unfolds. There is a reason they do the reunion early, but to explain that would be a spoiler.

My original point was based on this comment:
Quote:

You implied the reunion was so fast due to the short run of the first season, and that's simply not accurate.

Quote:

my expectation was based on the intense scene they had last week in which Grimes emphasizes through gritted teeth how during his search for his wife "anyone who gets in the way of that is going to lose."

Quote:

The expectation for this viewer based on that scene was that it hinted at a longer and more difficult road to his goal.

Grimes didn't know that when he said this in the episode you reference. He didn't know if was going to be one truck drive until he sees them, 5 years, or never. So are we not allowed to see his current emotion if it is resolved in the next episode, because somehow that would unfairly surprise the audience and set up expectations? That line didn't hint at anything IMHO, it just showed you what he was feeling at the time.
post #267 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen Overnights
The Walking Dead Adds More Viewers In Week Three; Steady With 18-49
By Robert Seidman, TVbythenumbers.com - November 15th, 2010

Anyone predicting the ratings for AMC's The Walking Dead would go down for the third episode got it wrong.

The adults 18-49 held steady at 3.3 million adults 18-49 (2.5 national adults 18-49 rating), but those predicting the ratings would go up have a better case to make. Total viewers rose from 4.7 million viewers last week to 5.1 million last night.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...th-18-49/72080
post #268 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I believe that they mention earlier in the episode about the blade being too dull to cut metal.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #269 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I guess

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that Rick isn't going to lose his hand now. They aren't going to do it twice. That would be lame.
post #270 of 6581 Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ That's from the graphic novel, right? It makes sense when adapting written material to television to transplant scenes/events that happened to one character to another. Character in "Dexter," for example, that would have been killed had the original book been followed are still alive. That way the fans of the book or graphic novel recognize the event/action but are surprised it's been switched, and people who've never read the original source are shocked regardless. Win-win.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page