AVS Forum banner
685K views 15K replies 533 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Quote:
AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead

AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

About the Producers

Robert Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) will also serve as Executive Producer, and Jack LoGiudice (Sons of Anarchy, Resurrection Blvd) will serve as Co-Executive Producer.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

If you aren't suffering from zombie fatigue this starts Sunday October 31st, 10/9C.

It's like 28 Day Later - if the movie had continued to be about zombies in the second half.

Dread Central has some good behind-the-scenes coverage:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/389...king-dead-life

Reactions: Young C
#6,281 ·
If you get bit and you don't bleed out, you'll still turn without a quick amputation of the affected area. You get that fever that does you in and makes you turn. If you think back, there's been a lot of times people were bit with none life threatening injuries and they still got sick and turned. Even just a little bite is a death sentence.
Yeah, it was pretty clearly established in the first couple of seasons that if you get any amount of zombie juices inside you, you'll soon get really sick and die, then turn.

Reactions: phildaant
#6,285 ·
Remember Dale's death, where one ripped open his middle with its bare hands???? Now Tyrese can take on a dozen with no weapon at all.

I know they are supposed to be decaying and getting weaker as time passes.......I suppose I can suspend disbelief, given the premise of the show. ;)
Keep in mind Tyrese was carrying his...

#6,286 ·
I have to say it was a pretty awesome season opener. :)

#6,287 ·
Liked the episode a ton!

Global question...this is not the first time we've seen the 'camouflage' technique used by Carol. Why again are they not employing this technique more consistently? I feel like I missed that discussion somewhere. Seems so simple to hide and travel more safely.
Mybe because it requires them to spread nasty walker guts all over themselves. :eek: You know that stuff has to have a foul stench. It does seem like something that would be used a little more often, although some walkers are not completely fooled by it.

#6,290 ·
‘The Walking Dead’ Ratings: Season 5 Debut Shatters Cable Records As 17.3M Watch
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Oct. 13, 2014

With a lot of red meat and explosions galore, the zombie apocalypse returned to AMC last night bigger than ever. The Season 5 debut of The Walking Dead pulled in 17.3 million total viewers on Sunday at 9 PM with 11 million among adults 18-49. With a rise of 7% and 6%, respectively, that viewership and demo series record chews up the previous high of 16.1 million watching and 10.4 million among the 18-49s that the Season 4 premiere of the blockbuster series drew on October 13 last year.

As it stands right now, the hourlong S5 opener “No Sanctuary,” directed by EP Greg Nicotero, has scored a touchdown over the NFL, Fox’s football overrun and NBC’s Sunday Night Football among the key demo to win primetime in both broadcast and cable. That could change in the final numbers, as it did with last season’s debut, which eventually saw a slim SNF win after what initially looked like a WD victory. However, the Philadelphia Eagles crushing 27-0 win over the NY Giants last night and the ensuing ratings fall from last week and last year makes it a hard one for the usually unbeatable NFL and SNF to turn around this time. Last season, The Walking Dead not only proved the most successful nonsports show on TV among the 18-49s but actually beat the NFL twice and the Winter Olympics three weeks in a row.

With a 6.0/16 rating in fast nationals, SNF had 7.64 million viewers in the key demo between 8:30 and 11 PM last night. Comparing the NFL game with the 8.7 rating of the WD premiere in the 9 PM time slot, SNF had 8.26 million among the 18-49s in preliminary ratings.

Comparing season opener to season finale, the Season 5 start of The Walking Dead is up strong from the viewership from the 15.7 million who watched the Season 4 ender on March 30. That biting episode got 10.2 million viewers among the 18-49 demo and is the highest-rated and most watched finale of the show so far.

Unsurprisingly already renewed for a sixth season, The Walking Dead is executive produced by Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert, Greg Nicotero, Scott M. Gimple, Tom Luse and Robert Kirkman, who co-created the comic the series is based on.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/walking-...-5-amc-850319/

#6,292 ·
Well, it's gross and it smells really bad. And if they accidentally get any of the gore into their mouth/nose/open wound, etc, they'd risk immediate infection. (Yeah, I know, everybody's already infected, but that'd kill them faster.)

Also, there's no guarantee that it will work 100% of the time. Eventually, some zombie's going to sniff a little harder and see through the disguise. Best not to let yourself get complacent assuming that it's the best way to travel.
The first time they tried this was in S1 in Atlanta. Rick and Glenn spread guts on themselves to reach some objective (a van?). It smelled so bad that Glenn puked.

#6,293 ·
I don't even think the writers and the show runners know the rules for what is and isn't fatal.
I don't remember seeing anyone turn from exposure to blood splatter in this or any other zombie show. It is not scientific (look at the precautions handling ebola patients). It is a matter of expediency. The characters in the show would be spending almost all of their time disinfecting themselves, their clothes and weapons. The writers were a little more careful early on. When Rick spread guts onto Glenn and himself in Atlanta in Season 1, he wore a raincoat and rubber gloves. Now they just don't bother cleaning up the blood.

#6,296 ·
The writers were a little more careful early on. When Rick spread guts onto Glenn and himself in Atlanta in Season 1, he wore a raincoat and rubber gloves. Now they just don't bother cleaning up the blood.
At that point the "survivors" did not know that they were already infected with the W-virus. Now, they know there's no point in taking such precautions ... just don't die. :)

#6,297 ·
Great episode! I'm glad they did away with the Terminus thing right away this season. I was figuring we'd get yet another season stuck in pretty much one place (like the farm or the prison). I'm sure we'll see some of those Terminus people again, bent on revenge. But I prefer it when the group is moving and on the run.

Still debating if weirdo science genome project mullet guy is full of crap or not. :)

#6,300 ·
I don't even think the writers and the show runners know the rules for what is and isn't fatal.

Sometimes, zombies have claws that rips open people and other times, they're repeatedly clutching at limbs without even scratching them.
and where did the zombies, whom have human teeth, all of a sudden get shark like teeth that can rip open skulls with a single bite?