'Smallville: The Final Season' on The CW HD - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Telescopic-vision... yes. Why the hell the smallville crew decided to change the name, beats the heck out of me???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post

Telescopic-vision... yes. Why the hell the smallville crew decided to change the name, beats the heck out of me???

First micro vision is more descriptive when dealing with small things, micro means small, telo means far away. I don't want to sound like a grammer nut but I thought I should point that out.
Second correct me if I am wrong did I miss an episode where that power was introduced? He seemed to just have mircovision this week with a small cop out line to lois that he aways had it or something like that if he has always had it then why haven't I seen it before?

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #363 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post

The comics play with these silly names too..

Technically speaking... Telescopic-vision would be for seeing things that are in fact large BUT very far away... while Microscopic-vision would be for seeing things close to you that are very small.

Granted, the method of focusing the light in real life is a similar process... You don't call it the Hubble Microscope... nor do you have a Telescope in science class to look at magnified amoeba.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #364 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think we may be grasping at straws a little here...the way I see it, Clark just has an array of enhanced visual senses, telescopic, microscopic, x-ray, etc that are all basically just different functions of one power. Just because he's never mentioned it or even used it on the show doesn't mean he hasn't had access to it for a while.

Rocky
post #365 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

I think we may be grasping at straws a little here...the way I see it, Clark just has an array of enhanced visual senses, telescopic, microscopic, x-ray, etc that are all basically just different functions of one power. Just because he's never mentioned it or even used it on the show doesn't mean he hasn't had access to it for a while.

Yes but each of those has gotten an episode dedicated to clark learning of and mastering each of those abilities I know that we are in the last season here and there is not a ton of episodes left but a little more would of been nice then just one line with lois that is suppost to wrap things up in a little package. Heck I would of been happy with a little set up a few episodes ago that mentioned that his eyes were acting up and he was able to see really small things. The way they did this to me felt tacked on and sloppy.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #366 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So when Superman finally emerges, no one is going to think back to what Clark looked like before his "appearance change" and think, hmmmm......

Through all the re-telling and re-imagining of this origin story, this has been the one thing I just can't agree with how they handled....waited too long on the disguise.
post #367 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

So when Superman finally emerges, no one is going to think back to what Clark looked like before his "appearance change" and think, hmmmm......

Through all the re-telling and re-imagining of this origin story, this has been the one thing I just can't agree with how they handled....waited too long on the disguise.

You know... I always thought it was stupid of people not to see how much Clark and Superman looked alike in the comics...

But... I've lived 40 years now... and sadly... my observation of people in real life is that most people just aren't that observant.

post #368 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

You know... I always thought it was stupid of people not to see how much Clark and Superman looked alike in the comics...

But... I've lived 40 years now... and sadly... my observation of people in real life is that most people just aren't that observant.

You are sadly probably right.

post #369 of 588 Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the thing. It strains suspension of disbelief as it is, just to go along with the comic version of the secret identity. Glasses and mannerisms are supposed to make people think "there's no possible way this guy could be Superman". I think the emphasis is particularly placed on the mannerisms. Take the last movie for example, when Lois and his fiance (can't remember his name) were looking at Clark and comparing physical characteristics. He overhears them, does something stupid, and they immediately go "nah" and have a good laugh.

In Smallville, they are taking the same angle. That was the whole point of the episode. Clark has to stop acting like "the Blur" when he's Clark. Change enough so people dismiss any "crazy" notion he could be the Blur. But the plot hole is, no matter how much he changes his mannerisms, he has been seen for years without any other disguise, however contrived it may be.
post #370 of 588 Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

That's the thing. It strains suspension of disbelief as it is, just to go along with the comic version of the secret identity. Glasses and mannerisms are supposed to make people think "there's no possible way this guy could be Superman". I think the emphasis is particularly placed on the mannerisms. Take the last movie for example, when Lois and his fiance (can't remember his name) were looking at Clark and comparing physical characteristics. He overhears them, does something stupid, and they immediately go "nah" and have a good laugh.

In Smallville, they are taking the same angle. That was the whole point of the episode. Clark has to stop acting like "the Blur" when he's Clark. Change enough so people dismiss any "crazy" notion he could be the Blur. But the plot hole is, no matter how much he changes his mannerisms, he has been seen for years without any other disguise, however contrived it may be.

The way I kind of fill that plot hole is that when it comes to super heroes and there secret identities people just humor them and look the other way. Example: Someone in smallville watching the news may say to someone else "Doesn't superman look like the guy we went to school with that was always getting people out of trouble?" They then turn look at each other laugh nervously and then vow to never speak of this ever again out of appreciation for what superman has done for the world. Are you telling me that no one in gotham city ever had the thought that the only person in this city that has the resources to be batman is Bruce Wayne and then you get motive when you look at how his parents were killed.
This brings me to my point for the vast populus of these super hero populated places know why there heroes keep there identities a secret to protect the ones they love, and by letting those heroes keep there identities to themselves it keeps the streets safer and by extention themselves safer. So depending on how you look at it is in the average citizen best interest to not care about who is the person under the mask or lack there of. The only person who does care is the supervillan who thankfully despite being able to make a death ray cant put together that clark kent minus the glasses equals superman.

post #371 of 588 Old 02-20-2011, 04:15 AM

In a perfect world, those scenarios would happen. Individual decisions being made for the benefit of society. We saw that exact same scenario in Spiderman 2, where he tries to stop the train. In the end, he's unmasked, but the average citizens on board hand his mask back to him, thankful for what he's done and let him have his secret identity. In reality, it's all about getting the scoop on something and tearing apart someone else, even if their goodness outweighs the bad.

PilotAce
post #372 of 588 Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of the rest of the world will be oblivious because Clark hasn't been seen much worldwide... and certainly not as Clark known by name worldwide.

Metropolis and Smallville is where the problems would be... especially as long as he has been doing this AND all of those people in the insane asylum who know about his powers too.

But... there was a nice story in the 1987 reboot of Superman comics... wherein Lex Luthor commissioned a bunch of people to study everyone and determine who Superman was... and the culmination of that resulted in Clark Kent being the obvious choice... to which Lex balked, and said essentially why would someone that powerful pretend to be that normal? Lex in the comics at that time just couldn't wrap his brain around it so he ignored what was before his eyes.

I think... that's what a lot of people would do. They would see Superman... and then Clark... and even without the glasses, unless they actually observe Clark as Clark doing something... they will not want to connect those dots.

Also... Clark only has to call upon some of his friends (like say the Martian Manhunter who can shapechange) to help him out so he can appear to be in two places at once... as both Superman and Clark... and that will quell most of the curiosity.

In the real world... there are lots of people who kind of look like other people... and you see one on the street and think "hey, there's that guy" but it isn't that guy... and you don't lose much sleep over it.

post #373 of 588 Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
They didn't help their cause by having Clark readily recognized at the crime scene earlier in the episode.
post #374 of 588 Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
So how many movie plot lines are they going to rip off this season?

So far:
Matrix
Date Night
Hangover (next week)
post #375 of 588 Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I believe they once mimicked the style of Memento. That was actually one of the better eps of an otherwise so-so Season 6.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #376 of 588 Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I think if we are going to pick on Smallville for taking ideas from other movies/genres... then we have to recognize that most of those movies/genres took their ideas from somewhere else too.

A good percentage of stuff these days is re-hashed old ideas... that doesn't have to be a bad thing if the execution is done properly.

post #377 of 588 Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I'm pleased that, in this version of Superman, Lois is smarter than the other Loises. :-)

Quote:

Nova Science Now aired a recent episode about the human brain. They showed a test where a person on the street was asked by a stranger for help with directions. While the person was responding, the stranger was replaced by someone who really didn't look much like the original stranger. Only half of the "victims" noticed the switch.

Anyway Smallville is fantasy. In a universe where a man can fly (some day) and see through walls, it's not a big deal that people don't notice that Clark looks like Superman.

I've come in late to this discussion.

It's interesting to me to consider that most of the members of Smallville's real target audience have grown up with the show. If you were in your teens when the show started, you're a young adult now.

I'm not quite in Smallville's target audience - I wasn't even when it started. I'm even older than Tom Welling. :-)

But my wife and I have enjoyed the show from the start. It certainly suffered when most of the original cast were shuffled off only to return (maybe) for occasional guest appearances. But, the show has always been fun and most of the episodes in this last season have been very good .

-- Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #378 of 588 Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah maybe they'll bring ol' Martian in for a double appearance of Clark and Supe---I mean, 'the BLUR'.
post #379 of 588 Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Hobe Sound, Florida (about 20 miles north of Palm Beach)
In the early days of Superman, one of his many powers was total (and fine) muscle control. The comics even went so far as to say he would use this power to alter his facial muscles when he switched from Clark to/from Superman so that he would look like a different man (glasses or no glasses). I've seen panels in which this power was used to even transform his face from race to race (for example, when he wanted to covertly blend in with asians, he could take on an asian appearance using this same power).

We see him with 2 great advantages: 1. We know that Clark IS Superman and 2. We view him on Smallville played by an actor who doesn't have that power.

#2 is tricky to meld with that power because it would involve needing 2 actors. Go with it and Clark/Supes is much more like Captain Marvel or The Hulk than just a guy who fools everyone with a pair of glasses and some mannerism adjustments. However, then you have to explain this power to "boob tube" watchers... and have a show/movie budget for 2 actors to play the same person instead of one, etc.

As such- and knowing that power was one way it was covered in the very early days- I just assume that we- the invisible viewers of this TV universe- get to see one face representing both roles, while the people within the show see 2 faces (courtesy of that super muscle control). Then, the other people in Clark's life are not dumb beyond belief for being fooled by a pair of glasses and we can just enjoy the show instead of being hung up on such stuff.
post #380 of 588 Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 PM

I just finished watching this episode and I thought it was fun hung over clark is funny and I cant believe that they put references to batman and wonder women in.

post #381 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was goofy and fun. But now that it's out of the way, they can get back to business.

post #382 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm normally the guy defending random bad episodes...

But there wasn't much to defend here.

What's the point of a Zatanna-based episode that doesn't even have Zatanna in it?

And it didn't advance any of the plot for the season or the series.

I actually felt bad for the actors having to say the lines and act the parts in this episode.

post #383 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
ooh, I suspect the actors had fun with it, enjoyed having a change of pace, demonstrating (or attempting to demonstrate) more of a light comedic touch than their characters typically get to display. I usually don't think much of that Green Arrow/Oliver actor, but he pulled it off better than I thought he was capable.

Major line reading f*** up in this episode, however. Not so much that the line was botched, but that they didn't bother to do a re-take. Very sloppy. I don't know if it demonstrates severe budgetary issues, general disinterest from the show runners/production as the show nears the end... or something else. But I don't recall ever seeing something like that in ANY show before.

Specifically, when Tess was tracking the location of Oliver and Lois at Watchtower she states, "Clark, the nanosecond that they use technology will have their number." She botched the line reading as obviously she was supposed to say, "the nanonsecond technology that they use...".

Anyway, goodbye Chloe. You had quite a run on this show. Clearly, the best actor of the bunch (at least amongst the more youthful group of cast members, excepting perhaps Erica Durance/Lois). It'll be interesting to see if and what kinds of acting jobs she'll get in the future. I don't recall seeing her in anything else during the run of Smallville. Can't bode well...

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #384 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're right. And I noticed Oliver botched 2 or 3 lines. But I'll give him a pass since they were supposed to be intoxicated.

post #385 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
hmm... didn't catch the Oliver mess-ups.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #386 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There were 2 or 3 instances where he kinda stammered and his dialog was a bit unclear. Unsure if it was intentional or not.

post #387 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Specifically, when Tess was tracking the location of Oliver and Lois at Watchtower she states, "Clark, the nanosecond that they use technology will have their number." She botched the line reading as obviously she was supposed to say, "the nanonsecond technology that they use...".

or, "...the nanosecond they use that technology, we'll have their number."

Larry
post #388 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Liked: 17
Nerds.
post #389 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
So much for the Clark disguise?

Oh and what will be the movie theme next week?

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #390 of 588 Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think they could deny blatantly using movie plots in these episodes. they must have already cut the writing staff loose.

Sooooo are Oliver and Chloe REALLY married? I thought Chloe told Clark in the barn that the Love Chapel told her it wasn't really official (when they thought it was her and Clark).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page