post #91 of 588 Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

And it ended completely ridiculously that spinning the earth backwards could reverse time.

You know... I've never read an official explanation of that, BUT I always had a completely different interpretation of what happened.

I always assumed that Superman was flying so fast that he traveled back in time (Flash did this sometimes in the comics too)... and in movies sometimes they show time travel by showing a clock running backwards.

The clock going backwards doesn't reverse time... it's just showing a guy going back in time by showing IF you could see the world while traveling backwards.

So... I always thought the visual of the earth spinning backwards wasn't actually Superman turning the earth backwards... but he needed to travel faster than the speed of light and if he went in a straight line he'd be out in space somewhere so he just orbited the planet a few billion times very fast... and the showed that he went fast enough to time travel by showing time in reverse (i.e. the planet spinning backwards).

So it never bothered me...

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 588 Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I guess now Clark's going to have to change the "S" on his uniform to an "Ü".
post #93 of 588 Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I found myself wondering what Carter (Hawkman) told Lois off-screen that had her trusting him so much about Clark and powers and stuff.

One minute she was blabbing vaguely, then he says "Clark" to indicate he knows him... and back from commercial and they are all super-secret-hero buddies.

We know it's ok... but within the context of the show, how would Lois know it? Especially since just a couple of shows ago Zod had fooled her into confiding... so you'd think she wouldn't just jump to the first stranger that hints he knows Clark when she wouldn't even tell Clark!

Meanwhile... I wondered if the Suicide Squad is now operating on its own with Checkmate reeling from the Kandorians' attacks last season OR if someone is still pulling their strings. It kinda looked like an amateur operation, though, so I'm thinking they have gone rogue.

post #94 of 588 Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Oh, that was Hawkman.....I knew he had abilities, but couldn't remember who he was exactly.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #95 of 588 Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Guess I was the only one who got a kick out of seeing Daniel Jackson doing research in Egypt?
post #96 of 588 Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Liked: 10
Great point, HDME2. How would Lois know to trust anyone? Especially after Zod? That's why she left for Egypt too, right? To keep Clark safe from compromise, and figure out where she stands in his life? Then again, she stumbled into the biggest secret and there's no one to talk to about this at all. Chloe would have come in useful - nice how Ollie says there's NO digital trace Chloe ever existed. Just like it stood pre-Smallville.

PilotAce
post #97 of 588 Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAce View Post

nice how Ollie says there's NO digital trace Chloe ever existed. Just like it stood pre-Smallville.

perfect timing.... just when they introduce her into the comics.
post #98 of 588 Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

Guess I was the only one who got a kick out of seeing Daniel Jackson doing research in Egypt?

That made me smirk as well.

I kept racking my brain trying to figure out where I'd seen the blonde before. Looking at her imdb, I'm guessing it's Veronica Mars. In any case, if she was going for annoying, she played that perfectly.
post #99 of 588 Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Yeah I did too, especially when he was talking about Ra.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #100 of 588 Old 10-03-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I was wondering if they were going to kill Chloe or not, glad it's not ( not that that means anything on this show...). She was the one character on the show I really liked. Any idea how many episodes Alison signed up for?
post #101 of 588 Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I was wondering if they were going to kill Chloe or not, glad it's not ( not that that means anything on this show...). She was the one character on the show I really liked. Any idea how many episodes Alison signed up for?

I believe only five.
post #102 of 588 Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM

I couldn't tell if the new suit we saw Clark sporting at the end of this 2nd episode was a rubberized jacket or made out of pleather... But it's a bit of a stretch (pun intended) to believe he'd get into the spandex original suit later on, even if it was the one made by his mother...

PilotAce
post #103 of 588 Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

+1. Looks like we are inching very slowly toward THAT moment. All the heroes are beginning to see they've got something bigger for their destinies. The suit has been sighted! And for a moment I thought for sure, Clark was dropping that plane ticket and about to leap up. YAH RIGHT! WHAT WAS I THINKING?

So as for Darkseid, if shadowy guy in barn (in the preview) is how they are treating it....BOO! They pulled the Doomsday can be human bit....fine I let that go. But don't do it again with Darkseid.

Movies tangent: Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan are helping reboot the Superman franchise. We can all think of "Superman Returns" like "The Incredible Hulk". It was not a reboot, it was not really a sequel. It was a stand-alone story. I think the loud and clear sentiment is WE ARE TIRED OF LEX. But I don't know....Superman just doesn't do well as a movie. It does well as a series. But I guess with the right writers they can make it work. Lex would have to be in the story at some point in the reboot though. Braniac is an excellent villain and could tie in with Lex for the first movie. Even though it would be really early in the storyline, Doomsday could even work for the 2nd with a huge death "cliffhanger". Then he comes back in the third and maybe takes on the Cyborg or Darkseid. Those are all the token villains.

The problem has always been they make up their own thing for the movies; they haven't followed the comics like the other franchises. With Chris Nolan in the project, I feel pretty confident we'll finally get something worth seeing in the Superman universe.

So if you really want to look forward though, how about a Justice League movie to counter The Avengers? YAH RIGHT!!!! They'll never get [new Superman actor (not Routh, whoever is going to be in the reboot)], Christian Bale for Batman, Ryan Reynolds for Green Lantern, the Flash (in development), Wonder Woman (maybe??? heard rumors), etc together.

They already said that Zod was going to be the villian in the next movie
post #104 of 588 Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

They already said that Zod was going to be the villian in the next movie

I don't think anything has been said with any certainty about the next movie. I believe they just got a director onboard, and as far as I know don't have a script at all yet.

post #105 of 588 Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't think anything has been said with any certainty about the next movie. I believe they just got a director onboard, and as far as I know don't have a script at all yet.

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter....yder.html#more

According to this article, Zod is the villian. David S. Goyer was on-board the film as writer long before Zack Snyder was on to direct. Another article (focused on Darren Aronofsky's potential next gig) goes into more detail about the script, and the fact that Snyder may have been chosen simply because he'd be able to get Goyer's script into shooting shape quicker than some of the other potential directors:

"Even as Aronofsky's Wolverine 2 talks coalesce at Fox, Warner Bros. is still offering blandishments to get back into business. We're told by knowledgeable insiders the reason Warner Bros. picked Snyder for Man of Steel is that the script by David Goyer was rushed, is still a bit of a mess, and that Warner Bros. needs someone who won't spend months or even years trying to get it just right (i.e., Aronofsky), because time is the one thing they don't have: The studio must have a new Superman movie in production by 2011 or they'll be subject to potential lawsuits by the heirs of the superhero's creators.

We're told that Snyder was not really Warner's first choice to direct Superman, but that a director needed to be hired imminently. Privately, even Snyder has confided to agency sources that the current Superman script needs work, but clearly Warner Bros. believes he can get it done faster than Aronofsky."

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...ulture+Blog%29

Of course, all this is way OT for a Smallville thread. I know there are a lot of folks holding out hope for a Smallville continuation on the big screen, or if nothing else, for Tom Welling to get a shot at the role, but I think that is out of the question, just based on the people involved in the film.

Rocky
post #106 of 588 Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The leather jacket reminds me of Kon-El Superboy's first costume. Thankfully, they didn't give him the haircut.
post #107 of 588 Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

We need to see more of Michael Shanks!!!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #108 of 588 Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I mentioned this in the Chuck thread because we were talking about air ducts... but it bears repeating here.

In my recent re-watch of Season 9 of Smallville... it really hit me how dumb it was that Ollie (Green Arrow) Queen had spent who knows how many millions of dollars to put up the secret satellite and build the uplink center... and somehow it was designed to have it's "on" switch buried inside the air ducts?

What kind of facility puts it's on/off switch inside air ducts that you can only access by crawling through?

post #109 of 588 Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Every time I watch this show I am so torn. I am happy it is ending and finally wrapping up so we can get closure knowing the end is coming, and I am upset it is ending because the show, at times, is really good and a fun watch.

post #110 of 588 Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM

Liked: 12
Here is my take/thoughts on this episode.

First of all, nice entrance by Kara.

Just when we thought Clark was going to fly, we are yet again dissapointed. I as soon as he went up into the air knew that he was just going to fall down. Way too predictable. But very dissapointing. I mean how is it that at the end of the episode before this one that we are left with clark dropping an airline ticket and clark glaring into the sky as if he is going to fly? Well, I guess the question whether he flew or not was answered.

Then Kara walks into Watchtower and just takes over the computer like she knows what she is doing. lol. Pretty funny.

And I take it Kara is going to be sticking around then? At least that is what her character said. I myself, would like to see Kara stay on but not sure.
post #111 of 588 Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know how much of Kara we will see... I think they just left it setup for her to appear whenever they want AND can get Laura to shoot an episode... so her availability might determine how much we see of her.

I like how Clark never asks her about those guys doing the photo shoot... like who they are, why she is working with them and trusting them and such... that was WAY too casual of a scene to not bring up later.

I wasn't even completely sure if Fortress Jor-El truly sent her to help... OR if it was going to turn out to be a Darkseid trick. In the recently adapted Superman/Batman animated story where they reintroduced Supergirl to comics... Darkseid corrupts her and uses her against Superman. I half thought they might go that way here. I suppose they still could.

Meanwhile... I had a hard time not reminding myself this was Smallville and not Supernatural!

The black smoke and black-eyed possession... that's pretty much the same F/X Supernatural has used for several seasons now with demon possession.

post #112 of 588 Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

In the recently adapted Superman/Batman animated story where they reintroduced Supergirl to comics... Darkseid corrupts her and uses her against Superman. I half thought they might go that way here. I suppose they still could.

Meanwhile... I had a hard time not reminding myself this was Smallville and not Supernatural!

The black smoke and black-eyed possession... that's pretty much the same F/X Supernatural has used for several seasons now with demon possession.

You know I had the same thought. It would have been nice if "Maiden of Might" had been corrupted.

The black smoke..all we need to do is have yellow eyes and we are watching Supernatural

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #113 of 588 Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I thought it was the smoke monster from LOST
post #114 of 588 Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM

I'm not so keen on the supernatural possession stuff. Keeps my eight year old from watching it with me, etc. Especially since it plays at 7pm in Chicago.

As soon as next week's preview is over, I have to turn off the set cuz Supernatural launches immediately.

PilotAce
post #115 of 588 Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

I thought it was the smoke monster from LOST

I didn't watch Lost... but now that you mention it, I think I did see a black cloud of smoke in a preview for Lost... so I guess the black smoke cloud is the new popular character to clone for all the network shows

post #116 of 588 Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM

So in this last episode, Darkseid probed Lois' thoughts and declared that she was "pure of heart" and couldn't be posessed or controlled, so he went about tying her up and torturing her. Pretty awesome to spend time in a fetish club and still be considered pure, eh?

When he probed Clark's thoughts, he could tell that he had doubts about himself and his role as a hero, and tried to posess/inhabit him, but Kara intervened and stopped Darkseid.

What I find hilarious is the number of times Lois has already been posessed. 1) by a Scottish banshee 2) by Zod's wife, mother of Doomsday

And Darkseid couldn't pull this off??

PilotAce
post #117 of 588 Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not so keen on the supernatural possession stuff.

Yeah, that and "ghost" storylines are geared more towards the female gender.

Keep it out of Smallville. It's bad enough we have to put up with those sappy, schmaltzy, manipulative 5-minute "women's" endings for each show.
post #118 of 588 Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

By the way, I'd like to "probe" Lois, too - only not her thoughts.
post #119 of 588 Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So in this last episode, Darkseid probed Lois' thoughts and declared that she was "pure of heart" and couldn't be posessed or controlled, so he went about tying her up and torturing her. Pretty awesome to spend time in a fetish club and still be considered pure, eh?

I thought it was DeSaad and not Darkseid.
post #120 of 588 Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

When he probed Clark's thoughts, he could tell that he had doubts about himself and his role as a hero, and tried to posess/inhabit him, but Kara intervened and stopped Darkseid.

What I find hilarious is the number of times Lois has already been posessed. 1) by a Scottish banshee 2) by Zod's wife, mother of Doomsday

I won't usually try to defend Smallville's plot inconsistencies since there are probably a million of them, but...

I'm not sure what being in a fetish club has to do with being pure of heart. "Pure of heart" doesn't mean sexually restrained.

And those other things that inhabited Lois just needed a body. Purity wasn't a part of the equation. Being pure evil as Darkseid is, it does make some sense that he has some limits.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page