Hawaii Five-0 on CBS HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #271 of 297 Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I don't like losing Daniel Dae Kim.

While I never really liked the previous Grace Park story-lines that I felt were shoehorned in, at the end of the last episode, they showed her flying off to pursue the sex trafficking *******s. I wanted that angle to be explored more, as I think it is an issue that needs more exposure, so I hope they don't just drop it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 297 Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Variety isn't gratuitously throwing in the racial aspect: they are merely citing the reason their sources gave them for the stars' departure, which every other news media outlet covering the story is also highlighting.
Just because the same report is parroted many places because it feeds a certain political agenda doesn't make it true. Frankly, it stretches all credibility. Not all actors on every show are paid equally. Lead roles vs. supporting roles vs. minor role, etc., etc., etc. I highly doubt they were offered less money because they're Korean/non-white.
post #273 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I think it's short sighted - the ratings are bound to take a hit. But maybe they figured S8 would likely be the last anyway. I never saw seasons 1 - 4 so I may just watch those instead of S8...
Duh maybe they could add some characters played by actors of Hawaiian descent. Or maybe some bimbo and bimbette surfer/detectives.

McGarret should be recalled to active duty rewrite the DOD's policy for transgender recruits.

I prefer the real cop show which is on next "Blue Bloods"

post #274 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 385
"Real" cop shows don't exist unless you are watching something like "Cops". I can't watch any of them in which they solve a crime in 40 minutes to include detailed lab work that that takes weeks/months in the real world...but, I can watch a show like Five-0 this that is a campy take on law enforcement. Strap a battery to your chest to prevent radiation poisoning...camp, get shot, stabbed, drowned, beat a prisoner, ignore the Miranda Rights and get knocked out week after week without consequence to your overall health, camp.

On the stars departing, their story lines were getting thin (married to mob, instant father, etc.) so bring in new actors who are happy to make thousands for a few weeks of work a year. It is hard to feel sorry for someone making $50K or more an episode when they might have 5 or 10 minutes of screen time in some episodes. A simple check of IMDB shows the mistakes many stars have made leaving a successful show to early.
Distorted and mchief99 like this.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #275 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
"Real" cop shows don't exist unless you are watching something like "Cops". I can't watch any of them in which they solve a crime in 40 minutes to include detailed lab work that that takes weeks/months in the real world...but, I can watch a show like Five-0 this that is a campy take on law enforcement. Strap a battery to your chest to prevent radiation poisoning...camp, get shot, stabbed, drowned, beat a prisoner, ignore the Miranda Rights and get knocked out week after week without consequence to your overall health, camp.

On the stars departing, their story lines were getting thin (married to mob, instant father, etc.) so bring in new actors who are happy to make thousands for a few weeks of work a year. It is hard to feel sorry for someone making $50K or more an episode when they might have 5 or 10 minutes of screen time in some episodes. A simple check of IMDB shows the mistakes many stars have made leaving a successful show to early.
Don't forget the great chase scenes (one a few days after your liver transplant IIRC)!
steve1106 likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #276 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Just because the same report is parroted many places because it feeds a certain political agenda doesn't make it true. Frankly, it stretches all credibility. Not all actors on every show are paid equally. Lead roles vs. supporting roles vs. minor role, etc., etc., etc. I highly doubt they were offered less money because they're Korean/non-white.
So a news story that brings up possible pay inequities based on race in a particular industry feeds a certain political agenda? What is this, the 1960s?

At any rate, I stand by my original comment: Variety was merely reporting what their source told them. And based on what Daniel Dae Kim has since posted to fans on Facebook regarding his departure, pay inequity does in fact appear to be the reason: “I encourage us all to look beyond the disappointment of this moment to the bigger picture. The path to equality is rarely easy. But I hope you can be excited for the future.” Source: https://www.facebook.com/Daniel-Dae-...6577846385452/
John dhein likes this.
post #277 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I for one will continue watching and am actually looking forward to some new blood on the show.

I often wonder if it is courage and conviction when a star leaves a hit show with a steady (good) pay check or stupidity or greed or a combination of both. The gamble that lightning will strike again and the actor will land on a hit show with a great steady pay check would be too great for me and I wouldn't do it in their shoes. I'd ride that pony to death. Want to pay me $40K an episode instead of the $50K I was getting, sign me up for another five years. Heck, want to pay me only $25K an episode, sign me up.

Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 07-05-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: new not need
post #278 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
not a good look for the show when it's 2 main Asian actors leave...since this will most likely be the final season it makes zero sense why they couldn't work this out and bring them back for the final year...the fact that the show (both the older version and this new one) is known for it's Asian co-stars makes this even more sad
Zookster likes this.
post #279 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

Real cops in most jurisdictions have been reduced to revenue agents who have to write enough tickets to keep their superiors and elected officials happy. Most can't drive and if they didn't have radios wouldn't never catch a fleeing suspect in a vehicle. Feds are even worse. Used to work for a Federal law enforcement agency and all the male SA's purchased their suits from the same store. The more rural the jurisdiction the better the sheriff or officer is with a gun. Someone needs to bring back "Police Woman" although if a network or someone like Netflix did it would probably star a officer who is a pre op. Just FYI NCIS didn't have arrest authority in the US until the early 2000's. MA's or base police had to make the actual arrest.
post #280 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
So a news story that brings up possible pay inequities based on race in a particular industry feeds a certain political agenda? What is this, the 1960s?
I double checked my calendar for you, but it's still 2017.

Quote:
At any rate, I stand by my original comment: Variety was merely reporting what their source told them. And based on what Daniel Dae Kim has since posted to fans on Facebook regarding his departure, pay inequity does in fact appear to be the reason: “I encourage us all to look beyond the disappointment of this moment to the bigger picture. The path to equality is rarely easy. But I hope you can be excited for the future.” Source: https://www.facebook.com/Daniel-Dae-...6577846385452/
Whooteedoo. Unless someone told him and Grace Park that they're not worth the money because they're Korean, it's pure speculation that it's why the studio didn't want to pay them as much. It's a smart play on their part though as they can attempt to wield more pressure on the studio by claiming discrimination vs. having it reported they wanted too much money. If they had a legitimate claim they'd be filing complaints with the EEOC and filing discrimination lawsuits.
post #281 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:

If they had a legitimate claim they'd be filing complaints with the EEOC and filing discrimination lawsuits.
This only happened a few days ago, over a holiday weekend, so who knows what legal recourse they might take.
post #282 of 297 Old 07-05-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I double checked my calendar for you, but it's still 2017

Whooteedoo. Unless someone told him and Grace Park that they're not worth the money because they're Korean, it's pure speculation that it's why the studio didn't want to pay them as much. It's a smart play on their part though as they can attempt to wield more pressure on the studio by claiming discrimination vs. having it reported they wanted too much money. If they had a legitimate claim they'd be filing complaints with the EEOC and filing discrimination lawsuits.

of course CBS not wanting to pay them as much as the 2 male leads has nothing to do with them being Asian...but it's the perception that matters here...BOTH main co-stars (who happen to be Asian) get denied a pay increase and instead are pretty much fired (didn't Masi Oka recently leave the show as well)...it looks bad for CBS and the show...stars on other shows like Big Bang Theory have divided up their salaries in order to make the group happy and I'm surprised that Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan did not agree to take a little less...they must have known...this makes them look bad as well...

even if the 2 co-stars happened to be white this still makes everyone look bad...the fact that it happened to be on a show which has always predominately featured Asian Americans looks even worse...Jack Lord and Kam Fong must be rolling over in their graves
coug7669 likes this.
post #283 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Oh, give me a break, these two are not even close to being equal "co-stars." They are supporting cast. I might quibble with Caan/Danny being justified with salary equal to O'Laughlin/McGarrett, but the two disputed characters are not on their level at all, in fact, as someone above stated, those two characters are pretty tired and watching a 90lb. stick-woman acting macho was always pretty damned weak. I won't miss them, and I didn't even realize the doctor had departed until someone pointed it out. Buh-bye, guys.

Now, if the Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole look-a-like shrimp-guy goes, that would be a loss.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Distorted; 07-06-2017 at 06:38 AM.
post #284 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
So a news story that brings up possible pay inequities based on race in a particular industry feeds a certain political agenda? What is this, the 1960s?...
Have you been living under a rock for the last 10 years?
post #285 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 03:16 PM

The showrunner says they turned down big raises. https://www.yahoo.com/tv/hawaii-five...205449373.html
post #286 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The showrunner says they turned down big raises. https://www.yahoo.com/tv/hawaii-five...205449373.html

that statement only bolsters Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Parks' position...CBS is pretty much admitting that they were severely underpaid on the show and a big dropoff from the 2 main lead salaries which is what Kim and Park have been arguing
post #287 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 195
The ratings will be down for this season. Not surprised if it's the last (8 seasons? That's pretty damn good these days). Hope CBS doesn't notice lower ratings and shelve the season to burn off the last episodes during next summer. Hopefully, the show runners will be gracious enough to bring Daniel and Grace back for the series finale.
post #288 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
that statement only bolsters Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Parks' position...CBS is pretty much admitting that they were severely underpaid on the show and a big dropoff from the 2 main lead salaries which is what Kim and Park have been arguing
Uh, I don't see how that supports anything of the sort. It doesn't establish that they were paid less because they're Korean / non-white. And, it say they were offered within a few percent of the $200k per episode that the two lead actors will be making, but they turned it down. So, supporting actors were offered nearly as much money as the two leads, but it wasn't enough and they're leaving, but discrimination.
post #289 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Uh, I don't see how that supports anything of the sort. It doesn't establish that they were paid less because they're Korean / non-white. And, it say they were offered within a few percent of the $200k per episode that the two lead actors will be making, but they turned it down. So, supporting actors were offered nearly as much money as the two leads, but it wasn't enough and they're leaving, but discrimination.

why do you keep harping on the Korean aspect?...no one is talking about this being a racial issue...it's only perceived that way due to the fact that both people happen to be Asian...the actors themselves have only talked about wanting equal pay with the main leads...the issue is pay scale not race scale
post #290 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
why do you keep harping on the Korean aspect?...no one is talking about this being a racial issue...it's only perceived that way due to the fact that both people happen to be Asian...the actors themselves have only talked about wanting equal pay with the main leads...the issue is pay scale not race scale
I read it differently. Someone in the actors' camp decided to effectively call their bosses racists, thereby burning their bridges in most venues. Maybe that's a good tactic in the wussy entertainment business in which the targets of the accusation will do backflips to disprove such charges. It will be interesting to see the resolve of the suits.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #291 of 297 Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Either watch the show next season or don't. Why does anyone care what an actor is paid? Do they care that the average american family makes less than either Kim or Parks does for one episode of a TV show. In a country where American children went to bed hungry/cold/sick tonight because their parents are struggling, and we worry about actors only getting paid $180K an episode and not getting $200K like the others. So maybe instead of a 10 million dollar home they have to buy a 6 million one...ouch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househ..._United_States

I wonder if Parks and Kim even thought about the actors tied to their roles such as the "husband" and the new "daughter figure".

post #292 of 297 Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
What do you mean no one is talking about it being a racial issue? That's precisely how it's been "reported" everywhere because it fits a political meme. Lets looks at the headline of the article posted earlier in the thread a few days ago. It is: The Asian stars of 'Hawaii Five-0' quit the show after CBS refused to pay them as much as their white costars. So what's that again about no one talking about it being a racial issue?
post #293 of 297 Old 07-07-2017, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Kim's statement mentioned the racial equality angle, though kind of obliquely. Park has not mentioned it AFAIK.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #294 of 297 Old 07-07-2017, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
It is: The Asian stars of 'Hawaii Five-0' quit the show after CBS refused to pay them as much as their white costars. So what's that again about no one talking about it being a racial issue?
Exactly! Grace and Daniel added a nice dynamic to the Super Steve and his Whiny Bitch show. And to me worth more than Caan and Super Steve. Or is Captain America 2.0??? Parkor Pauley? Last two seasons had me wondering if they had a new Marvel Universe show.

Hope the show tanks. Not watching any more. Get us a new Magnum P.I. not Where in the World is Super Steve?
mike1812 likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #295 of 297 Old 07-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Personally, I am not sorry to see either of them go, not because of their acting ability or their characters per se. It is because both of them have really, really sappy and tired personal-life story arcs. It was past time for THOSE to end, and if ditching the actors accomplishes that, good. And, if I never hear "Cuz" in the script again, also good!

Now, if we could only also get rid of the Danny failed marriage story arc, and Steve's Where's Waldo (Mom) story arc, things might get back to solid writing.
taxman48 and steve1106 like this.
post #296 of 297 Old 07-07-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I agree, the Steve's Mom arc was the most tedious to me. Never a Lahti fan to begin with. As someone else pointed out this is probably the last season anyway, so I'm still in.

I always thought this was a nice pairing with Blue Bloods.
post #297 of 297 Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM

I guess Kono's personal-life story arc is not quite dead...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...e-park-1022592
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page