"Raising Hope" Fox HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tonight is the series premiere of this comedy show. So far from what I have watched it's really good. There are already some funny moments. One scene was a flashback to when Jimmy was only like 3 and inside the family car. The other funny scene would have to be with the grocery store girl.

Pigeon, winged cloak of grey, In the city's hellish maw, One glance and you fly away, Your grace holds me in awe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I loved My Name is Earl and this show is from the same creator. The guy who played Kenny on "Earl" played the store manager.

Jeffer65
post #3 of 67 Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wow. My Name is Earl and the only difference is instead of a list, it is a baby. The list was funnier. I don't care about the characters, none of them. These characters are just plain stupid, nothing else and nothing redeemable in them. They deserve what they get. At least with Jamie Priesley's chararcter on Earl you could see the soft spot in her and she really was smart underneath all that Southern trailer trash and so was Earl. His problem was he was a redneck that didn't want to improve until he had to and then he didn't know how and that was the show, how he dealt with it. This show has no point other than a loser raising a baby. Go to any Walmart and you can see that.

Oh, and what the hell is Cloris Leachman doing anyway? Her character is a total waste of time. The actor playing the father is better than his role. He had a great role in Deadwood. This is NOT a good role for him.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #4 of 67 Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

The actor playing the father is better than his role. He had a great role in Carnivale. This is NOT a good role for him.

Do you mean Deadwood?
post #5 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Do you mean Deadwood?

Yes. My bad. Deadwood. Correct! Original post edited.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #6 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I liked it; another nod to the lower middle class from Mr. Garcia, who teases but obviously has affection for. It's just the pilot. It could develop into something funny. Earl took a while to get going.

On the other hand, it could flame out and self-destruct pretty easily.

CW Hinkle
post #7 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 AM

and see where this show goes.
I do agree with Foxeng though, Earl had a much stronger premise behind it.

Jeffer65
post #8 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't really like it. I actually thought Running Wilde was better... but I'll be watching neither of them next week.
post #9 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 View Post

I didn't really like it. I actually thought Running Wilde was better... but I'll be watching neither of them next week.

I agree - stopped it half way thru after the vomit scene. But - IMHO - Running Wilde was light-years better and will continue to watch it. Pretty clever writing in RW with some hilarious moments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I thought it was bad. One show and done.
post #11 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Very me'h for me. I thought this was the disappointment of the new season for me. (so far) Running Wilde is my biggest surprise. Did anyone catch the My Name is Earl reference on the newscast on Raising Hope?

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #12 of 67 Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

Very me'h for me. I thought this was the disappointment of the new season for me. (so far) Running Wilde is my biggest surprise. Did anyone catch the My Name is Earl reference on the newscast on Raising Hope?

Caught the Earl referance at the end of the newscast, thought Raising Hope was OK, will keep watching. Didn't care for Running Wild, watched part of it and deleted it.
post #13 of 67 Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
There is something about Jason Lee, and that automatically added in a heart to My Name is Earl that was lacking in this show. The pilot was missing some of the whimsy, but there are elements that could add that in. They really need to flesh out the world quickly, because the core cast needs more people to play off of.
post #14 of 67 Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Felt the same meh as others, gave the show a one time record and havent added the season. Ill wait for a few more epsidoes and see ther eviews before coming back....
post #15 of 67 Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
After so much critical "laugh out loud" type hype, I was surprised at how bad I thought this was. Yes, there were a couple of funny moments, but no where near enough to balance the rest. I won't be back for this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #16 of 67 Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

The actor playing the father is better than his role. He had a great role in Deadwood. This is NOT a good role for him.

Actually, he had two roles on Deadwood.

I sort of liked it. I would have rather had Earl back, but since he finished his list, there seems little point in that.
post #17 of 67 Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

After so much critical "laugh out loud" type hype, I was surprised at how bad I thought this was. Yes, there were a couple of funny moments, but no where near enough to balance the rest. I won't be back for this.

I think Ill jsut watch the previews, as those made me laugh, the show hardly did...
post #18 of 67 Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone is still interested in this show it starts in 30 minutes.

Pigeon, winged cloak of grey, In the city's hellish maw, One glance and you fly away, Your grace holds me in awe.

post #19 of 67 Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Not bad. It has some of the subtle humor that Earl had.. The addition of the goofy ukulele girl (from Scrubs) helpled. The characters aren't quite as extreme as Earl and his friends.

Jeffer65
post #20 of 67 Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It's improving. It has definite potential.

CW Hinkle
post #21 of 67 Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 174
TV Notes
Fox Gives 'Raising Hope' Full-Season Order
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com's TV Editor - October 6th, 2010

Fox's comedy Raising Hope has become the first new series this fall to receive an order for additional episodes. The network has given a full back-nine order to Greg Garcia's single-camera family comedy, bringing the total order to 22 episodes. While not the highest-rated freshman series this season, Raising Hope has been the highest-rated new Fox series, performing better than fellow freshman comedy Running Wilde and the already-cancelled drama Lone Star. Last night, the comedy, which is solid creatively and features a standout performance by Martha Plimpton, drew a 2.5/7 in adults 18-49 behind the hottest scripted series on TV at the moment, Fox's sophomore Glee, for a so-so 54% hold. (For comparison, Running Wilde did a 1.7/5)

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/fox-...pe-back-order/

post #22 of 67 Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
Fox Gives 'Raising Hope' Full-Season Order
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com's TV Editor - October 6th, 2010

Fox's comedy Raising Hope has become the first new series this fall to receive an order for additional episodes. The network has given a full back-nine order to Greg Garcia's single-camera family comedy, bringing the total order to 22 episodes. While not the highest-rated freshman series this season, Raising Hope has been the highest-rated new Fox series, performing better than fellow freshman comedy Running Wilde and the already-cancelled drama Lone Star. Last night, the comedy, which is solid creatively and features a standout performance by Martha Plimpton, drew a 2.5/7 in adults 18-49 behind the hottest scripted series on TV at the moment, Fox's sophomore Glee, for a so-so 54% hold. (For comparison, Running Wilde did a 1.7/5)

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/fox-...pe-back-order/

Yes. Last nights episode was great and Cloris Leachman just stole the episode with her dancing in her bra to Istanbul by The Four Lads.

post #23 of 67 Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the last episode was great. The show had a very Earl like ending. Easily the best episode so far.
post #24 of 67 Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I finally watched the pilot with my wife the other night. This show is an entirely different experience for us as we have a 7 month old (our first) and we cringed at a lot of the treatment of the baby. It's just not something that resonates as funny at this particular stage in our lives. I'm sure I would have thought it was hilarious five years ago, and will probably think it's hilarious five years from now, but right now it makes me queasy. After watching the pilot, my wife and I agreed we'd watch it again, but as she put it, "I can't handle another one right now."
post #25 of 67 Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm digging it. Gillahunt in a comedy role - who'da thought? He's channeling a little Carl Spackler in that character.
post #26 of 67 Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this show has clicked in now. The show has its flow going, but there is still some room for growth. I still think they need more people to bounce off of.
post #27 of 67 Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

I thought it was bad. One show and done.

Good call
post #28 of 67 Old 10-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Four weeks into the season, and they are already repeating the pilot tonight. What is up with that?

Jeffer65
post #29 of 67 Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

Four weeks into the season, and they are already repeating the pilot tonight. What is up with that?

Because baseball was on early and I guess Fox decided just to let the pilots air if the game went into extra innings.

post #30 of 67 Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Plus tonight (Tuesday the 26th) they're doubling up with back-to-back new episodes to pre-empt the low-rated "Running Wilde." They needed that repeat week to make-up for the fact they're using two new episodes tonight, one of them a Halloween-themed one.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page