'Blue Bloods' on CBS - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I thought this episode was just so so. Kind of on auto pilot. Big threat. Reagans fix it. Time for dinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
I thought this episode was just so so. Kind of on auto pilot. Big threat. Reagans fix it. Time for dinner.
Yup...and angry Danny angrier...officer Jamie must be pretty pissed he ain't a detective since he's the smartest member of the family...take the test d*ckhead.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
Yup...and angry Danny angrier...officer Jamie must be pretty pissed he ain't a detective since he's the smartest member of the family...take the test d*ckhead.
Three seasons ago Jaime was whining that it had already taken him longer than Danny to make detective. Shoulda gone the law firm route - he'd be a partner by now...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Old 09-29-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Three seasons ago Jaime was whining that it had already taken him longer than Danny to make detective. Shoulda gone the law firm route - he'd be a partner by now...
The whole nepotism thing is BS...from what I've read about police promotions and it may vary from city to city...once you've got time on the job, you can take a test, whether it's for Sargeant or Detective. If you are at the top of the list, you get promoted as slots become available. New Detectives don't get a Homicide slot...that's more time on the job and experience. However, Jamie's been on the street for 6 years now...lol. Nobody wants to promote him...another lol. Promote yourself buddy.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is it just me, or, for the last two episodes (the two shows of this new season), has "Baker" (Abigail Hawk) looked EXTEMELY nice? She has always seemed quite attractive. But (as I mentioned), for the last two shows, she has appeared SMOKING hot! Just my opinion. Wish they would give her more lines in the show.

I thought it was funny that Danny kept referring to Gormley as "Sgt." instead of "Lieutenant" in this latest episode. I was surprised how much Danny/Linda's kids have grown up with this new season's episodes.

I know (that in real life) Tom Selleck is no spring-chicken. I believe he is around 70 now. In the two episodes of this season, he seemed to look quite "tired". Does he appear that way to others? Or, am I just imagining this?

Just some observations.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Is it just me, or, for the last two episodes (the two shows of this new season), has "Baker" (Abigail Hawk) looked EXTEMELY nice? She has always seemed quite attractive. But (as I mentioned), for the last two shows, she has appeared SMOKING hot! Just my opinion. Wish they would give her more lines in the show.

I thought it was funny that Danny kept referring to Gormley as "Sgt." instead of "Lieutenant" in this latest episode. I was surprised how much Danny/Linda's kids have grown up with this new season's episodes.

I know (that in real life) Tom Selleck is no spring-chicken. I believe he is around 70 now. In the two episodes of this season, he seemed to look quite "tired". Does he appear that way to others? Or, am I just imagining this?

Just some observations.
Baker is great - I was hoping they would expand her role when Esposito left. She did feature in one episode, leading a task force IIRC and handling a disrespectful officer with her usual aplomb. Sometimes seeing the corner office behind-the-scenes maneuverings is more interesting than the shootouts on the street. Offering Garrett the 3% raise in writing was brilliant.

Selleck does look too old for the job, but OTOH it seems to me like a pretty authentic portrayal of the effects a job like that would have on someone...

CC

Old 10-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you worked the shooting hours Blue Bloods demands, and had the behind the scenes responsibilities Tom Selleck shoulders ..... we all would look "a bit tired".

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS4
Old 10-12-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Baker is great - I was hoping they would expand her role when Esposito left. She did feature in one episode, leading a task force IIRC and handling a disrespectful officer with her usual aplomb. Sometimes seeing the corner office behind-the-scenes maneuverings is more interesting than the shootouts on the street. Offering Garrett the 3% raise in writing was brilliant.

Selleck does look too old for the job, but OTOH it seems to me like a pretty authentic portrayal of the effects a job like that would have on someone...
I fondly remember that episode where they let her have a LOT of lines. The part where she belittled the detective in the audience with her reference to (paraphrasing)--"big boasting/egos were in direct opposition to their body parts/sizes"--was outstanding.

As to Sellecks appearance--you have a good point. And, as I mentioned, I realize he is around 70. Plus, the fact of re-shoots of scenes, the hectic hours, etc. would make anybody look tired. I think I read that he lives in California and that he flies to N.Y. to shoot his scenes. The production crew tries to arrange the shooting schedule so that most/all of his scenes can be shot together as quickly as possible. If that is correct, the added commute would add to his appearance.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I fondly remember that episode where they let her have a LOT of lines. The part where she belittled the detective in the audience with her reference to (paraphrasing)--"big boasting/egos were in direct opposition to their body parts/sizes"--was outstanding.

As to Sellecks appearance--you have a good point. And, as I mentioned, I realize he is around 70. Plus, the fact of re-shoots of scenes, the hectic hours, etc. would make anybody look tired. I think I read that he lives in California and that he flies to N.Y. to shoot his scenes. The production crew tries to arrange the shooting schedule so that most/all of his scenes can be shot together as quickly as possible. If that is correct, the added commute would add to his appearance.
I assume he still has the ranch in Thousand Oaks and commutes by helicopter. Some years ago I worked with a guy who would be 65-ish now His father had been a successful Hollywood intellectual property rights attorney, and owned some acreage adjoining Selleck's. He was always bitching about the noise from low-flying helicopters...

The schedule would still be tiring - I suspect they have chosen to incorporate an appropriate amount of world-weariness into the role...

CC

Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I believe I read all of Selleck's scenes are shot in L.A. except for the on the street scenes in NYC.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Blue Blood's is shot entirely in Manhattan and it's boroughs, sometimes Long Island. It has always been NY based including the Pilot. Interiors are shot in a sound stage in one of the boroughs. It is entirely a NY based operation

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS4

Last edited by stustan; 10-14-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a lot of traveling for those that live in L.A.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 AM

The shooting schedule will group Tom Selleck's scenes together, sometimes 2 episodes worth so that he can "commute" somewhat humanly.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:24 PM

In this week's episode, I felt it was a nice change to not have Danny (Wahlberg) as a main character. He was only shown at the "dinner" scene. I like Wahlberg and his character (Danny) and think he does a good job. But, it was great to see Moynihan (Erin) have a central leading part. Plus, I bet Wahlberg thought it was nice to have a week off for a change.

On a pet topic of mine--this week, they didn't even let "Baker" have one line. They just showed her in the background opening the Commissioner's door. I still feel she is being wasted. Just my opinion.
jjeff likes this.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
In this week's episode, I felt it was a nice change to not have Danny (Wahlberg) as a main character. He was only shown at the "dinner" scene. I like Wahlberg and his character (Danny) and think he does a good job. But, it was great to see Moynihan (Erin) have a central leading part. Plus, I bet Wahlberg thought it was nice to have a week off for a change.

On a pet topic of mine--this week, they didn't even let "Baker" have one line. They just showed her in the background opening the Commissioner's door. I still feel she is being wasted. Just my opinion.
I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe Moynihan has something in her contract limiting Baker's appearances.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 10-19-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The scenes with the mentally ill girl were well done and a subject matter that needed to be covered.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree - seems like she should at least actively participate in meetings with the other advisers instead of acting as a glorified secretary/receptionist.

I wonder if maybe Hawk has limited time available and maybe just wants a small part - if she's not from NYC maybe the travel is a problem. I'm not even sure they're not just splicing her into some scenes. Around 4:45 where she first opens the door for Frank and Garrett, you don't see her face and she doesn't speak, so might not be her. Then around 5:30 she interrupts to say the mayor is on the line. The outer office visible through the door in the two shots doesn't look the same to me (I've tried to attach the VLC .PNG snapshots - not sure if they will work)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-10-19-12h47m35s003.png
Views:	30
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1004729   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-10-19-12h51m12s283.png
Views:	28
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	1004737  

CC

Old 10-19-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe Moynihan has something in her contract limiting Baker's appearances.
Heh!

BTW Bridget got married last weekend. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 210
She is extremely arresting woman (no pun intended), but it is past time to see if she can carry some scenes acting.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I'd love to see an episode where, like the Massachusetts State Police, the NYPD hired Jesse Stone to help work a case.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I'd love to see an episode where, like the Massachusetts State Police, the NYPD hired Jesse Stone to help work a case.
The face-to-face would be interesting!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Fun stuff you all are throwing about!!!! Baker lives a short commute to Manhattan, she has never been "spliced" in. That is always her live, and on set, in all her glory. The same can be said for everyone on the show .... day-players included. You will see more of Baker, dialog and all, in upcoming episodes.

Again ..... great stuff!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Fun stuff you all are throwing about!!!! Baker lives a short commute to Manhattan, she has never been "spliced" in. That is always her live, and on set, in all her glory. The same can be said for everyone on the show .... day-players included. You will see more of Baker, dialog and all, in upcoming episodes.

Again ..... great stuff!
I realize that she is a "secondary" character. But, I am looking forward to having Abigail Hawk having a little more scene time! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I realize that she is a "secondary" character. But, I am looking forward to having Abigail Hawk having a little more scene time! Thanks for the info.
Same here, good info - but it just makes it more mystifying to me why she's been so underused up until now.

BTW I remember one of the early eps where she served as translator for a Japanese delegation - if she doesn't actually speak Japanese it was an impressive piece of acting...

CC

Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
But, I am looking forward to having Abigail Hawk having a little more scene time! Thanks for the info.
That is what I meant to say, she will have more screen time and more spoken lines in upcoming episodes .... even standing up to (gulp) Frank Reagan.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
That is what I meant to say, she will have more screen time and more spoken lines in upcoming episodes .... even standing up to (gulp) Frank Reagan.
No surprise there - even with her limited role it's clear that she's fiercely loyal to Frank, but not in any kind of subservient way, and she comes across as perfectly capable of holding her own with anyone...

CC

Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
No surprise there - even with her limited role it's clear that she's fiercely loyal to Frank, but not in any kind of subservient way, and she comes across as perfectly capable of holding her own with anyone...
Baker can switch to street cop, put on a uniform and ride with Jenko, that gives more air time. Jenko and Jamie are hanging out in civvies and being partners is not the kind of partners they like. So whats next?
Old 10-25-2015, 11:34 AM

At the dinner scene (on this week's show), Frank's (Selleck's) shirt was open widely at the neck. His skin coloration (around his neck) was intensely red/purple. And his face coloration was very red. This was in comparison to the others seated at the table and could be seen on a wide shot where everybody was in view. I wonder if this was a makeup faux-pas, a bad sunburn or some sort of a medical condition? In the other scenes of the show, his facial tone looked normal. It was just at the dinner scene where this caught my eye. Did anybody else notice this?
Old 10-25-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
At the dinner scene (on this week's show), Frank's (Selleck's) shirt was open widely at the neck. His skin coloration (around his neck) was intensely red/purple. And his face coloration was very red. This was in comparison to the others seated at the table and could be seen on a wide shot where everybody was in view. I wonder if this was a makeup faux-pas, a bad sunburn or some sort of a medical condition? In the other scenes of the show, his facial tone looked normal. It was just at the dinner scene where this caught my eye. Did anybody else notice this?
I noticed it too.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 582
This last episode borrowed a technique from Grimm. The woman told Danny over the phone her location. The light looked like mid-afternoon. When Danny and troops arrived it was pitch black night. Manhattan must be considerably larger than seen on the map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here