'Blue Bloods' on CBS - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #691 of 717 Old 04-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
...The show has been ruined by bad writing.
The show has been nearly ruined by politically correct writing that has compromised who the characters were in the beginning. IOW, the characters are many times not true to "themselves" anymore (in quotes, because, of course, it is all fiction). It started when Frank compromised his Catholic beliefs and publically criticsed the Church over a matter of Church doctrine... I forget the specifics, whether it was abortion or homosexuality... one of those, I think.

The messaging has not gotten as bad as NCIS (which I have stopped watching), but it is definitely trending in that direction.

Last edited by RTPVid; 04-22-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: fix typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 717 Old 04-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Even more political correctness, and for me this is getting close to the end for me if it continues.

The issue of immigration and sanctuary cities really? Frank getting in the middle of struggle between the church and mayor? Even the hunt for Rambo was lame lame lame.

Worst Sunday dinner talk ever!

I think I need to binge some Magnum PI
Stereodude likes this.
post #693 of 717 Old 04-29-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
Even more political correctness, and for me this is getting close to the end for me if it continues.

The issue of immigration and sanctuary cities really? Frank getting in the middle of struggle between the church and mayor? Even the hunt for Rambo was lame lame lame.

Worst Sunday dinner talk ever!

I think I need to binge some Magnum PI
I didn't follow why the church bailing out one of the illegals offended the mayor? The dinner talk was definitely over the top. Sad...
Stereodude likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

post #694 of 717 Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I didn't follow why the church bailing out one of the illegals offended the mayor? The dinner talk was definitely over the top. Sad...
I agree. CBS is on the clock with me. More of this and I'm done with ALL of the CBS procedurals. ALL of them, and they've been among my favorite shows since JAG. I watch these shows for entertainment, not to be lectured about politics.
post #695 of 717 Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I saw the PC shift too but I thought you guys were over reacting until I watched this latest episode. I do not watch a series to have the writers lecture me incessantly about the latest SJW cause. Pathetic. Really disappointing shift in the series. It has been one of the only shows I could watch with my wife.
Stereodude and RTPVid like this.
post #696 of 717 Old 05-01-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I saw the PC shift too but I thought you guys were over reacting until I watched this latest episode. I do not watch a series to have the writers lecture me incessantly about the latest SJW cause. Pathetic. Really disappointing shift in the series. It has been one of the only shows I could watch with my wife.
Up till now it was just leaning, with at least a little pushback from certain characters. This ep went all-in with no balancing perspective in sight...
Stereodude, mike1812 and RTPVid like this.

CC

post #697 of 717 Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Yep, it's gotten pretty bad. May be the last season I watch this show. Of course I've thought this show had pretty much run its course for a few years now.
Stereodude likes this.
post #698 of 717 Old 05-02-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Up till now it was just leaning, with at least a little pushback from certain characters. This ep went all-in with no balancing perspective in sight...
They generally do a pretty good job of arguing both sides of the story. That was not the case here.
post #699 of 717 Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 184
There has been a fair share of meh episodes (drunk astronaut comes to mind). Just more this year. I still have hope that the end of the season will produce a good story arc.
post #700 of 717 Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is Jamie's partner/girlfreind coming back?
post #701 of 717 Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
Is Jamie's partner/girlfreind coming back?
Next season .... I hope!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #702 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 151
So once again Jaime on his own time and his own initiative solves a MAJOR crime spree with huge citywide impact. Yet he remains a patrol cop. It's gone beyond ludicrous.
post #703 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
So once again Jaime on his own time and his own initiative solves a MAJOR crime spree with huge citywide impact. Yet he remains a patrol cop. It's gone beyond ludicrous.
I agree completely. I think the writers can do a character update without destroying the core of the show. Jaime needs to be either promoted to Sergeant or Detective (not sure of the actual promotion path of NYPD). I'd love to see Jaime promoted to Detective and Eddie to Sergeant in another precinct so that they can cement their relationship. Jaime could also dust off his law degree and work for new District Attorney Erin Reagan. I don't know what Danny could do - perhaps head of Anti-terrorism task force? Frank, no clue, mayor?
post #704 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Odd that the killer brought Jamie to the scene of the double murder for no apparent reason.

I also didn't get Danny's frustration with Erin - it should have been obvious to him that no judge would issue a search warrant without seeing the DEA file, and probably not even then if arrest was off the table. Erin was just the messenger.

I'm guessing a new mayor will shake things up next season. The way things are going Frank will probably have to explain to him or her the virtues of being a sanctuary city...

CC

post #705 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Odd that the killer brought Jamie to the scene of the double murder for no apparent reason.

I also didn't get Danny's frustration with Erin - it should have been obvious to him that no judge would issue a search warrant without seeing the DEA file, and probably not even then if arrest was off the table. Erin was just the messenger.

I'm guessing a new mayor will shake things up next season. The way things are going Frank will probably have to explain to him or her the virtues of being a sanctuary city...
The guy was nuts ... looking for logic in his actions is not logical. That said, many criminals like to engage the police directly, most taunting, but many hiding in close proximity. For instance there has been a number of occasions where the perp has volunteered to look for a missing person in a wooded area.

As to Danny's frustration, it's an offshoot of some very bad writing on this show this year. Many scenes where folks are out of character.

I'm hoping they keep the interim mayor for a while, as Frank will run roughshod over him .. that should be fun.

OH, and did anyone else get the impression that Danny's new partner next year is going to be the female DEA agent?
post #706 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
... OH, and did anyone else get the impression that Danny's new partner next year is going to be the female DEA agent?
I hadn't occurred to me but now that you've brought it up you might be on to something. The spotlight was definitely on her.
post #707 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
He has turned down being moved off patrol.
post #708 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
He has turned down being moved off patrol.
And nailing this killer reinforces his stated reasons for wanting to stay on the beat...

CC

post #709 of 717 Old 05-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

He had a conversation about this with his father. Frank was afraid that he was keeping Jamie down. Jamie said he preferred to be on the streets. A neighbor of mine was a second career police officer for over 30 years and preferred to ride horse patrol or motorcycles.

I've been teaching for over 25 years and have no desire to be a principal.

It happens.
RTPVid likes this.
post #710 of 717 Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Really good episode. I wish they had started the drug cartel storyline a few episodes back and let it play out until the end of the season.
post #711 of 717 Old 05-08-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

OH, and did anyone else get the impression that Danny's new partner next year is going to be the female DEA agent?
She was pretty good on Dexter - I wouldn't mind seeing her get another good role. Giving her a prominent part in the season finale could be a sign, especially with Danny's parting words to let him know if she wants to be a real cop again...

CC

post #712 of 717 Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just an observation of no importance. A station in my area once a week carries reruns of the series all the way back to the pilot episode. It is interesting to see the changes in the series. In the pilot, the character of "Nicky" was played by someone other than Sami Gayle. In the second episode forward it was Gayle as it has continued to be to the present time. On the earlier episodes, the seating arrangement at the dinner table changed quite often. Only "Frank" and "Grandpa" remained the same. At "1PP", the earlier episodes showed some sort of "status room" that involved many computers/screens showing car locations/calls/incidents. That is rarely seen now. As to appearances---of course "Danny's kids" have markedly changed. Sami Gayle has somewhat evolved. The rest of the cast pretty much looks the same as they did in the beginning seven years ago. A little aging is present, but not much. "Frank's" house in the earlier shows was different (both interior lyout/exterior) than later shows. In the pilot show, "Danny" was quite violent. He almost drowned a suspect in a toilet (and pounded his face against the toilet) to extract info to save a little girl's life. Of course now, "Danny" still has a temper, but I feel it has been somewhat moderated compared to the early episode. Also,"Danny's" temper was pointed out to be from PTSD from Afghanistan tours in the military. "Frank" (back then) was urging "Danny" to seek professional help for the problem. You don't see that mentioned much at all anymore.

Anyway, I find it fun to see how the show has changed over the years.
post #713 of 717 Old 06-10-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Just an observation of no importance. A station in my area once a week carries reruns of the series all the way back to the pilot episode. It is interesting to see the changes in the series. In the pilot, the character of "Nicky" was played by someone other than Sami Gayle. In the second episode forward it was Gayle as it has continued to be to the present time. On the earlier episodes, the seating arrangement at the dinner table changed quite often. Only "Frank" and "Grandpa" remained the same. At "1PP", the earlier episodes showed some sort of "status room" that involved many computers/screens showing car locations/calls/incidents. That is rarely seen now. As to appearances---of course "Danny's kids" have markedly changed. Sami Gayle has somewhat evolved. The rest of the cast pretty much looks the same as they did in the beginning seven years ago. A little aging is present, but not much. "Frank's" house in the earlier shows was different (both interior lyout/exterior) than later shows. In the pilot show, "Danny" was quite violent. He almost drowned a suspect in a toilet (and pounded his face against the toilet) to extract info to save a little girl's life. Of course now, "Danny" still has a temper, but I feel it has been somewhat moderated compared to the early episode. Also,"Danny's" temper was pointed out to be from PTSD from Afghanistan tours in the military. "Frank" (back then) was urging "Danny" to seek professional help for the problem. You don't see that mentioned much at all anymore.

When BB started, CBS was just starting to turn into the geezer network it's been for the last 5 years. When the shift became apparent, the Selleck-centric BB just caught the wave and went along for the ride...

CC

post #714 of 717 Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Next Season Frank for Mayor? Maybe Daughter?
post #715 of 717 Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

Interesting and accurate observations!

The "Status Room" you mentioned was scripted as "Real Time Crime" and represented the world's major terrorist and crime status as currently unfolding.

I don't remember Real Time Crime ever being used to tether a stoiryline so that is why it was probably dropped.

It was a particularly expensive set, the Production and Post Production expenses it incurred must have been huge. .... a large cast of extras to fill the room, as well as a large loop group cast of voices to fill out the background chatter, as well as expensive video effects to fill all those monitors. It was a good looking backdrop that served no purpose in solving the crimes that the show focused on

I wonder what's in store for next season.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)

Last edited by stustan; 06-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.
post #716 of 717 Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And don't forget Danny's revolving door of partners just in the first few episodes.
post #717 of 717 Old 06-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
And don't forget Danny's revolving door of partners just in the first few episodes.
Good point! I forgot about that. Also--the office area for "Danny" was a different set in the very early episodes compared to the one that we have seen for the last several years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page