'Blue Bloods' on CBS - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #721 of 743 Old 09-30-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Well, they've had a pretty good run, keeping all the main characters together, with the exception of Danny's partners (and really, with his personality he WOULD blow through partners like a sneeze through tissue). Will miss her on the show. Hopefully she has an opportunity on another show soon.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-01-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 743 Old 09-30-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 594
It's a relatively large cast and all pretty good so it's hard to give them all the screen time they deserve. Especially now that Anthony has fitted in surprisingly well as Erin's "partner"...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #723 of 743 Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Wow! When was the last time a character left a show and it wasn't leaked in advance? I was shocked.
That was the best kept secret in TV in a long time.

When they kept referring to Linda, I didn't remember anything happening other than their house blowing up. Then they finally mentioned what had happened and I still didn't remember that. Luckily, Netflix has all of last season's episodes and I skipped through the season finale. Once I discovered the crash never happened in it, I figured it was a contract thing or something. Going to make for an interesting season.

post #724 of 743 Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Question CBS Cast Members Suddenly *GONE*?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
Amy Carlson leaves Blue Bloods. Her character, Linda, dies in helicopter crash. I'll miss her on the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Wow! When was the last time a character left a show and it wasn't leaked in advance? I was shocked.
I came to this thread first to see if I had missed any previous news about Amy Carlson. I don't remember any 'Helicopter Crash' show. GOOGLE's next...

I *STILL* have to SEARCH Hawaii Five-0 for *TWO* cast members that seem to have left.

BTW, I *NEVER* heard Abigail talk (back) like THAT before!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #725 of 743 Old 10-01-2017, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
...I *STILL* have to SEARCH Hawaii Five-0 for *TWO* cast members that seem to have left. ...
Discussed a little in the H5O thread.
post #726 of 743 Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

BTW, I *NEVER* heard Abigail talk (back) like THAT before!
I'll second that! I was really surprised by her outburst. That scene let her have more speaking lines than a total from (maybe) 20 shows before that. Way to go Abigail!
post #727 of 743 Old 10-02-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Ok so when was this helicopter crash??
post #728 of 743 Old 10-02-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Ok so when was this helicopter crash??
I guess when we were all on summer vacation..

post #729 of 743 Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Man, I thought my poor memory had forgotten something from last season's finale. Only as the therapist spoke did I realize it was a "between seasons" explanation. I loved Linda and she was such a calming, rational rock for Danny.

videobruce, I think they said it was 5 months ago in show time.
post #730 of 743 Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
I *STILL* have to SEARCH Hawaii Five-0 for *TWO* cast members that seem to have left.
Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim both left due to contract issues, although Grace didn't really comment on it. See Hawaii Five-0 on CBS HD forum topic.
post #731 of 743 Old 10-03-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 432
While I like the actress....I really did not care for the character of Linda and how she was written and used. I don't think the show will suffer much without her...well except visually

And that scene with Baker putting the verbal smack down on the PC had me both scared and aroused
post #732 of 743 Old 10-03-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Amy Carlson leaving was very surprising, but well handled I thought. The last time I was this shocked at a character death/departure was Josh Charles on The Good Wife. They held that one very close to the vest and when he was shot in court, despite the serious nature of the wound, I was sure he would survive. Seeing the sheet go over his head in the hospital totally caught me off guard. More intense than the Blue Bloods version.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #733 of 743 Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It is not my habit to make note of the craft of how a film or show is put together. If I catch myself doing it, I try to turn my attention back to the story because paying attention to the nuts and bolts detracts from the entertainment for me...takes me out of the moment. But, I caught myself after all these years noticing how intricately the backbone of Blue Bloods, the family dinner, is put together. The end result of this week's dinner was seemingly a seamless conversation with all the characters talking and interacting back and forth, but the filming of this 2 to 3 minute scene must have been a real project to edit together. There had to be a couple dozen different camera shots rotating between the characters each having a speaking part and I see no way that could have been filmed in real time with those camera angles and the number of cameras necessary. The dialog had to have been spoken and filmed separately, yet when edited together the result was seamless as if a conversation had been filmed and the actors were playing off each other. Kudos to the team who does this in each episode.

Perhaps a professional or two here can give an insight on how involved the process is done, and then I will try to forget it and return to the illusion.
post #734 of 743 Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The dinner scene starts out as as a multi camera "Master", using two or three cameras. Sound is always covered by one, sometimes two booms, hand held by boom operators. There are no "plant mics" The whole scene is played beginning to end in each take. After determining they have good coverage in the "Master" they shoot two sometimes three roving cameras as the actors play the scene, again, beginning to end. This is usually covered in "Medium Close Ups" and "Close Ups". After they determine they have good coverage, they shoot key sections only .... they are referred to as ""pickups" The dinner scene requires an average of five hours to shoot.

The Picture Editors go to work piecing the raw footage together and they somehow manage to create the rhythm and flow you so admire. After picture editorial is completed the "Locked Episode" goes to the sound editors. They prepare the rough audio tracks the Picture Editors used. They re-edit and smooth the dialog, add background sound effects, add foley for dish and silverware movement, chair creaks, etc. Let's not forget the composer writing the score and the musicians playing the music.

The primary concern for the dinner scene is pristine dialog and to find audio takes that match the "overall tonality" of the dinner scene location. There is little to no looping required due to the many, many takes that were recorded. Almost all flubs and technical audio issues can be replaced using alternate takes .... edited to match the original take. The Dialog Department and the Foley Department are key here, as there is very little Sound Effects needed for the dinner scene.

After the Sound Department's edit is completed, the entire episode is delivered to the re-recording mixers. The two mixers (Dialog and Music, Sound Effects and Foley) work with all the edited tracks from the Dialog Dept, Foley Dept, Sound Effects Department, and Music Department. The mixers adjust volume level, apply equalization, create the 5.1 sound stage and when completed, they present the episode to the Producers for final approval.

Teamwork from beginning to end is the keyword.

I am glad you noticed and enjoy the work of the actors and crew.

Please try to watch Blue Bloods and all your favorite shows "On Demand" and not "Live" or recorded (DVR) "Live". "On Demand" allows you to hear the mix as intended without the severe audio compression that is applied to the "Live Broadcast". This applies to all shows .... you will enjoy the content all the more if you watch "On Demand". Compare the two and be prepared to be shocked.
ClearToLand and mike1812 like this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)

Last edited by stustan; 10-07-2017 at 03:27 PM.
post #735 of 743 Old 10-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you for the exposition. It was quite what I wanted. Now I will try to place the process out of mind and capture the effect the artists and technicians work so hard to create.

My TiVo is not capable of "On Demand" as such from my cable company, but are the rebroadcasts on Hulu, Netflicks and such the same pristine sound?
post #736 of 743 Old 10-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I honestly don't know but you piqued my interest .... I will take a listen and get back to you.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #737 of 743 Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Re: dinner scene

Interviewed Tom Selleck a few times. Asked him about that. He echoed what @stustan said, above. He also noted that the catering team works hard to make the food palatable, though by the later takes, it's pretty cold. He said there are buckets you don't see where the actors spit out the food after the take. Though not always.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #738 of 743 Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Suprised no one mentioned Abigail(Baker)'s extended screen time again this week. Almost like she's been given all of Linda's screen time plus more, and I like it
Still after all these years a show I look forward to every week.
ClearToLand, DrDon and videobruce like this.
post #739 of 743 Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 255
^ A welcome change since she never had any real roll, let along any real dialog. ^

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #740 of 743 Old 10-08-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
^ A welcome change since she never had any real roll, let along any real dialog. ^
Well she's on a role now...
DrDon and philw1776 like this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #741 of 743 Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 100
To add to the above comments--I, too, am surprised by the screen time Abigail has gotten the last two episodes. More time here than in (maybe) 20-30 episodes. PLUS-she is now not a "passive" person. The last two shows, she has directly confronted Frank. That is distinctly different than the role her character has played throughout the series. I'm pleased to see her get more exposure. It seems that they have cut back on the air-time for Lt. Gormley though.

Nobody has mentioned the different seating arrangement at the "dinner table" now that Linda is gone. Erin sits next to Danny and one of the "boys" now sits on the opposite side of the table. Just an observation.
post #742 of 743 Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I too like Baker's outbreak in this new role that she seems to be playing. Also looking forward to seeing what pay back the congressman's going to render.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #743 of 743 Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel like the show writers paying attention to this thread with more screen time for Baker

Xbox name- D0NGINAT0R (those are zero's in my name)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page