Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 358 Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You can definitely tell there is a difference in the way certain things are written now compared to the first of the season.

I had to laugh at the opening scene in Friday's show when the black kid was shot and Danny runs over to ask him if he was okay. Talk about a "here's your sign" moment. It would have actually been funny had the guy playing the part sat up and said "I've been shot you idiot". Probably the worst scene of the season just for that line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 358 Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

So is the blue templar story angle just been completely dropped or what? I haven't seen in the last 3 or 4 episodes

TV Notes
'Blue Bloods' feasts on family bonds
By Gary Levin, USA Today - April 8th, 2011

NEW YORK — Sunday dinner and shared sacrifice add to the appeal of CBS' hit police procedural.

It's dinner time for the Reagan clan, and the extended family of CBS' Blue Bloods is crammed around the table, sharing the news that their parish priest has been sent off to Bolivia after allegations of sexual advances, in an episode airing tonight (10 ET/PT).

It's the only time the show's entire main cast, led by Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, Will Estes and Bridget Moynahan, comes together in its Brooklyn studio.

"Luckily we don't have to eat anything crazy like cheesecake or Chinese food," says Moynahan (who plays daughter Erin, an assistant DA) of Bloods' signature scene, which caps every episode and gives writers a chance to show the family debating the issues raised by the cases.

"I think the audience responds to these things more than any part of the show, really. It's a place where you get everybody's point of view."

It could be the tight-knit family, or Selleck's star appeal, or the unusual blending of a family drama with a sturdy police procedural, but Bloods is this season's most-watched new series. It chugs away on Friday nights, with an average of 12.4 million viewers, and is considered a lock for a second season.

The show was conceived by veteran producer Leonard Goldberg (Charlie's Angels); married Sopranos writers Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess created the show and oversee its writing staff.

Both were attracted to switching from mobster anti-heroes to a family of NYPD heroes, and took inspiration from the Kennedys and The Godfather. "There were elements of those two iconic American families that were part of our thinking," Green says. "Writing's stealing, right?"

Bloods connects its cases to the multi-generational family, led by police commissioner Frank (Selleck), a stoic police commissioner who's sometimes at odds with a mayor who appointed him when his last pick didn't work out.

"He was a way of getting the mayor off the hook for choosing a corrupt man," Selleck says of his character. "His biggest flaw is he cares too much; he has a hyperactive sense of responsibility."

His dad Henry (Len Cariou), a retired commissioner, is a grandfatherly fixture at those dinners, even though Cariou, 71, is actually just five years older than Selleck. Erin (Moynahan), a divorced single mom, is the by-the-book legal compass. But Danny, a hotheaded cop, is an Iraq War vet who "may bend the rules because he knows he's going to get away with it more," Wahlberg says.

"He's going to do what's right to get the job done," even if that means agreeing to testify against a drug lord, which led to the kidnapping of his wife, Linda (Amy Carlson), in last week's episode. (Linda's troubles aren't over: Tonight,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
her fashion-model niece is poisoned during a runway show.
)

And there's Jamie, a Harvard law grad who couldn't resist the family business and became a beat cop after another brother, Joe, was killed in the line of duty. "He's a smart cop, he's got empathy for people," Estes says. But despite his Ivy League pedigree, "there's no replacement for experience. His learning curve is the school of hard knocks just the same."

Now Jamie
Spoiler  
is part of Blue Templar, a covert squad investigating Joe's death. That's the focus of this season's final three episodes, starting April 29. "The death of the son has impacted this family hugely," Green says, "so the last episode emotionally is about putting Joe to rest."

The pilot was filmed mostly in Toronto, but Selleck and Goldberg insisted the show be shot in New York, where Bloods inherited the Big Apple cop beat from the original Law & Order. Cast and crew travel frequently to tap the city's culture, filming in Chinatown, the Russian neighborhood of Brighton Beach and elsewhere.

But those dinner scenes, which can take hours to film, bring the Reagans home. "I grew up doing big dinners, and to me, looking across at Bridget is just like looking across at my sister," Wahlberg says. "I love my sister more than anyone on the face of the earth, but we fight like cats and dogs."

BLUE BLOODS
Fridays at 10PM ET/PT on CBS.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ods08_ST_N.htm
post #93 of 358 Old 04-08-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks dad, BBs is one of my favorite new programs and always nice to read more about it
post #94 of 358 Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am really going to miss this show when it goes into summer hibernation. I really have to have my Reagan fix every week. Wahlberg's and Selleck's characters have really come to life. The weekly family meal scene has become a favorite. This past week, they didn't eat a meal together, but did sit around the table to discuss the cousin's situation keeping that feeling going.

I thought it was funny how Wahlberg acted like he had no idea about the "entertainment" ego even though he had been in the middle of a maelstrom not too different than the storyline when he was younger. Funny how 25 years changes oneself.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #95 of 358 Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The dinner table setting has a very Waltons feel to it and I like that part of the show.
post #96 of 358 Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Noticed that Turturro checked out what Jamie was logged into before shutting the compute down? hmmm?..

post #97 of 358 Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Come on don't be surprised about how Turturro's character is playing into the blue templar thing. Why do you think a vet cop got stuck with that particular rookie?
post #98 of 358 Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Come on don't be surprised about how Turturro's character is playing into the blue templar thing. Why do you think a vet cop got stuck with that particular rookie?

That and he was Joe's training officer also.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #99 of 358 Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
More Turmoil: 'Blue Bloods' Creators Exit
By Nikki Finke, Deadline.com - April 22nd, 2011

EXCLUSIVE: This is why so many Hollywood creatives don't understand the decisions of the networks and the Big Media corporations who run them. Because here's a show that's doing well in its primetime slot. And just a few days ago freshman drama Blue Bloods was praised by Armando Nunez, president of CBS Studios International. “It’s perhaps not as sexy to talk about, but it has proven a success both on the network and in terms of global distribution,” he praised. It tops the charts of how this season's freshman shows have performed, with Blue Bloods sold around the world not just to tiny channels but to big ones like Sky Atlantic in the UK, Australia’s Network Ten, and Discovery Latin America.

So what do CBS and CBS Studios and its executive producer Leonard Goldberg, who also happens to be a CBS Corporation board member, do? They exit the show's creators Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green. Because I'm told Goldberg and the network think the show needs be "more procedural". As if CBS doesn't already have procedural shows coming out of its wazoo. And this latest firing comes 9 months ago after then showrunner Ken Sanzel exited the CBS series because of creative tensions with Tom Selleck over scripts that the actor felt were too procedural.

Of course, it's a ridiculous conflict of interest for Goldberg to both be on the CBS Corp board and to be running one of its shows. (His official CBS bio doesn't mention that, of course.) Not to say that Leonard isn't a TV legend. But at first considered a long shot ("pilot #10 of 10"), Blue Bloods (then titled Reagan's Law) made it onto the schedule in the first place because of Selleck's stardom and Goldberg's juice. CBS traditionally teams the limited experience creators of its newly picked-up series with seasoned showrunners after the pilot, which is why former cop Ken Sanzel was brought in as exec producer and showrunner. He ran Numb3rs for most of the procedural’s 6-season run on CBS, and Blue Bloods even inherited the Numb3rs 10 PM Friday time slot. Blue Bloods is the first hour-long drama Selleck has headlined since Magnum, P.I. and the star wanted an emphasis on the characters, not the crimes. I scooped that Selleck wasn't accepting the scripts which Sanzel had been giving him. So a standoff developed over personal vs procedural. And from the latest firings, those creative differences are still going on.

CBS, CBS Studios, Goldberg, and Selleck are all looking for a new showrunner now. "How do you keep the network happy and Tom Selleck happy and Len Goldberg happy?" an insider today asked about the current siatuation. Another insider tried to make Burgess-Green exit more palatable by claiming, "We’re thrilled with the template they set as the creators of the show, but we weren’t satisfied with the creative growth of the stories and the characters. No animosity, just our desire to get more wins on the board." But there were enough wins that CBS moved the show from Friday, where it was averaging a healthy 12.3 million viewers, to Wednesdays at 10 PM for a 4-week trial run beginning January 19th. It was moved back to Fridays on February 11th.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/more...t/#more-124967
post #100 of 358 Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Probably a bad move, as the family aspect is the hook in this show.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #101 of 358 Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

+1, why mess with something that's going so well
post #102 of 358 Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

This will not end up well.
post #103 of 358 Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
God dammit, CBS....
post #104 of 358 Old 04-23-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The episodes for this season are already in the can and/or close to being completed. The changes from whoever takes over "Blue Bloods" will happen starting next season. Enjoy the show as it is until the end of this first season; it might return as a completely or slightly different show depending on how easy/hard it is to please both CBS' procedural wishes and Tom Selleck's character-driven desires.
post #105 of 358 Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked this week's episode. The week before with the runway models was i think the worst of the season. The acting was horrible.

Whoever CBS brings in it has to be somebody Selleck likes or he might walk. If he walks it kills the show.
post #106 of 358 Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got to see last week's episode tonight. Really good episode.

I agree on the characters of this show. It's the best thing about. I loved NYPD Blue when it was on and this show is the closest it has come to showing the characters who they really are. If they screw with that, they'll ruin the show.
post #107 of 358 Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
CBS hit 'Blue Bloods' fuses family drama with police action in unusual cop show formula
By David Hinckley, New York Daily News - May 5th, 2011

"Blue Bloods" is a slightly different kind of police show.

That's good.

But the sudden departure of its show runners - Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green, whose past credits include work on "The Sopranos" - has raised concern that someone may think it needs to be a little less different.

Now CBS has said nothing official about a future direction for "Blue Bloods." In fact, CBS hasn't even said yet if it has a future. We may not know until May 18 if it's getting a second season.

But if it does come back, with new writers, there have been reports some of its unique elements could fade away.

Request to CBS: Please assure us this is idle, unfounded chatter.

"Blue Bloods" is a full-fledged cop show. The police officers under New York Police Commissioner Frank Reagan (Tom Selleck) chase down bad guys, outworking, outsmarting and sometimes outgunning them.

What makes "Blue Bloods" different is that the whole Reagan family is involved in law enforcement - as cops, district attorneys, whatever - and the show is also about what this means to a family.

Virtually every episode includes at least one scene where the Reagans sit down to dinner and talk about matters of the moment. This isn't the Cleaver family, all milk and cookies. Things get heated, disagreements explode, voices rise, people walk away.

But a scene that pauses a drama to discuss what it all means is so unique in TV these days that Frank Reagan commented on it a couple of episodes ago.

To paraphrase roughly, he said not a lot of families do this anymore, and he's glad this one does.

The dinners aren't played for sentiment or as a political ad for family values. They're part of what the show is saying.

They've also sparked some discussion from the beginning. The show's original writer left before it went on the air because Selleck, among others, wanted "Blue Bloods" to be more than just another bang-bang action drama.

Such dramas are known in the TV biz as "procedurals" - shows focused almost entirely on a crime and its solution. There's nothing wrong with procedurals, and CBS already has more of them than Rachael Ray has uses for extra-virgin olive oil: "CSI," "NCIS," "Criminal Minds."

Most of those shows are doing just fine. So, in pure numbers, is "Blue Bloods," averaging about 12 million viewers on a night considered a television dead zone.

The potential problem is that too many of those 12 million viewers are older, which could encourage someone at CBS to wonder if more action and less reflection would attract younger folks.

So please, CBS, if you bring "Blue Bloods" back, don't sacrifice Reagan family dinners for shootouts. It would be a shame to amputate valuable and healthy parts of a good show just to make it more like every other show.

BLUE BLOODS
Fridays at 10PM on CBS.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p_show_fo.html
post #108 of 358 Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

They played an ad for this weeks episode during Survivor last night, this week appears to be heavily focused on the blue templar story line based on the 30 second ad.

I still don't get why CBS has not picked up season 2. Very odd even with the old age skewing demos.
post #109 of 358 Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yes, big time Blue Templar last night. Decent episode. The guy that plays the mayor does a good job.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #110 of 358 Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Yes, big time Blue Templar last night. Decent episode. The guy that plays the mayor does a good job.

I agree, he's got the 'politician' thing nailed. I also like the detective suspected of stealing the gun. Not as the probable bad cop but as an actor. He's got the charisma to play a believable good cop.
post #111 of 358 Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Friday's episode was a bit predictable, but still good. I hated to see that car get crashed.
post #112 of 358 Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Friday's episode was a bit predictable, but still good. I hated to see that car get crashed.
Hopefully in real life the car that was crashed is a "double". I've no doubt that on the show the car will be fixed, it's a family heirloom after all, not just another of the Crown Vics that are ubiquitous on cop shows.

Steve S.
post #113 of 358 Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
A lot happened in that season finale!
post #114 of 358 Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I enjoyed the finale, but way too TV-ish. Let's have a party to split up the money, nobody will find us even though we now know they're onto us!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #115 of 358 Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I enjoyed the finale, but way too TV-ish. Let's have a party to split up the money, nobody will find us even though we now know they're onto us!

larry

At least that whole Blue Templar arc is FINALLY done. For that, I will let the "TV-ish" finale slide.

post #116 of 358 Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

I thought the same thing when I watched the finale. Although it was very exciting and it's a relief to have the Blue Templar thread wrapped up, the closing scene in the bar was ridiculous. We are supposed to believe that the members of a violent criminal conspiracy, all capable experienced cops, conveniently meet in an indefensible bar to split up the swag. The capper came when the SWAT team turned out to be so clueless, they left one of the cops uncuffed and still armed, which conveniently let the guy kill himself. Yeah, sure.

I thought the introduction of the girl who is apparently to be Jamie's new love interest as a maiden in distress running for her life down a Manhattan street was cringe-worthy. It didn't get any better when Jamie happened to be an eyewitness to a second attempt to abduct the fair maiden so that Jamie could conveniently be a hero and shoot one of the would be abductors. I know its only TV but that was too much, I thought.

I will be interested to learn whether Blue Bloods will be renewed. As much as I like Blue Bloods' talented ensemble cast, the overwhelming silliness of the Blue Blood finale leaves me not caring much whether it gets renewed.
post #117 of 358 Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

......I thought the introduction of the girl who is apparently to be Jamie's new love interest as a maiden in distress running for her life down a Manhattan street was cringe-worthy.....

I kept thinking she was undercover or working for someone trying to trap him into something. Just too good looking and friendly towards him to be real, she certainly had bedroom eyes
It was also nice to see Michael T. Weiss aka Jarod from the Pretender TV series(playing the cop who killed Joe in BBs) getting some more air time. A real different character from Jarod but good none the less.
We'll be watching season 2(if it comes back).
post #118 of 358 Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I kept thinking she was undercover or working for someone trying to trap him into something. Just too good looking and friendly towards him to be real, she certainly had bedroom eyes
It was also nice to see Michael T. Weiss aka Jarod from the Pretender TV series(playing the cop who killed Joe in BBs) getting some more air time. A real different character from Jarod but good none the less.
We'll be watching season 2(if it comes back).

You make a good point. The sight of the seemingly hysterical girl running out in a street where Jamie could see her also left me wondering whether she was a setup. Despite how often the Blue Bloods finale left me shaking my head, if the network gods give us a second season, I'll be back for it.
post #119 of 358 Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I will be interested to learn whether Blue Bloods will be renewed. As much as I like Blue Bloods' talented ensemble cast, the overwhelming silliness of the Blue Blood finale leaves me not caring much whether it gets renewed.

It was renewed a month ago for a second season. The show runner has been relieved because CBS wants less family, more shooting. Over the summer, I suspect a feud to break out between Selleck and CBS. Selleck only signed on for the family aspect of it, not the shoot'em ups.

I don't know why CBS wants to screw with it since it is basically the only Friday night show on any network that has a respectable sized audience.

post #120 of 358 Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a link because nobody has posted anything about the show being renewed. In fact it's one of the big mysteries at this point why it has not been.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page