"Sherlock" Series on PBS Masterpiece Mystery - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #301 of 320 Old 01-11-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
Both seasons were originally shown on PBS as part of Masterpiece Mystery. The first season is available from Netflix, but they haven't had the second series of 3 episodes. I actually purchased the English version from Amazon UK about 3 or 4 years ago because there was no US version, but about a year and a half ago an American version came out which I got from Amazon US. The US version is much better quality, and along with the quality of the writing is, in my opinion, worth every penny.

SMK
Our library has DVDs for S1 and S2 but the S2 DVD despite having different packaging was the same content as the S1 DVD. I'll have to try again to see if I can find the actual S2...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 320 Old 01-11-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Both seasons were originally shown on PBS as part of Masterpiece Mystery. The first season is available from Netflix, but they haven't had the second series of 3 episodes. I actually purchased the English version from Amazon UK about 3 or 4 years ago because there was no US version, but about a year and a half ago an American version came out which I got from Amazon US. The US version is much better quality, and along with the quality of the writing is, in my opinion, worth every penny.

SMK
On Netflix US, all three prior seasons of Sherlock have been available for a few months.
post #303 of 320 Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
On Netflix US, all three prior seasons of Sherlock have been available for a few months.
You're right. I apologize. I should not have hijacked this thread.

SMK
post #304 of 320 Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
You're right. I apologize. I should not have hijacked this thread.

SMK
My fault too but maybe if you edit your post 300 to read "Both seasons of CH" it would clear up the confusion.

I appreciate recommendations for good shows that I may have overlooked even if it's a bit OT...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #305 of 320 Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
post #306 of 320 Old 10-26-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sherlock returns 1/1/2017
http://deadline.com/2016/10/sherlock...ch-1201843210/
gwsat likes this.
post #307 of 320 Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I am torn over whether to say "Hurrah!" or "It's about time."

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo BDP-103 BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #308 of 320 Old 10-27-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Considering Benedict Cumberbatch's busy film schedule I suppose we're lucky to get a three episode season every once in awhile.
archiguy and gwsat like this.
post #309 of 320 Old 10-27-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3213 Post(s)
Liked: 2895
That's just what I was going to say. Between him and Martin Freeman, it's a wonder they found time to shoot a single scene. Glad they did though.
post #310 of 320 Old 10-27-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That's just what I was going to say. Between him and Martin Freeman, it's a wonder they found time to shoot a single scene. Glad they did though.
+1

It's also a surprise that they can still afford him. He can demand a lot more than when this series first started.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #311 of 320 Old 10-27-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
I would guess that he does it out of enjoyment and not for the money, because he has enough other engagements now that he could easily just refuse to do more episodes. The role of Sherlock Holmes is probably appealing for any actor who's serious about the craft.
Garrett Adams, gwsat and cel4145 like this.
post #312 of 320 Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not to mention, he's at the center of a cultural phenomena. For us, this is a Sunday night public television show that probably doesn't even pull the ratings of the latest CSI incarnation. But in New Zealand, and perhaps other countries, The Abominable Bride premiered in movie theaters before it was shown on free TV there.
cel4145 likes this.
post #313 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Considering that they are doing 90 minute episodes... it's the equivalent of filming a "standard" 6-episode British series... so it's not that much shorter than the kind of thing they typically do for a show, even a popular one.

I know Doctor Who gets about twice that many in a series, but they always say that it's like filming two series back-to-back from their perspective.

I'm sure he likes doing the show... As long as it doesn't keep him from doing other things that force him to make a choice, I wouldn't be surprised to see him keep doing it as long as everyone involved wants to keep making more.

One of the things that it seems the UK is a little better than the US at doing... in the US, if an actor is on a highly-rated show and the movies come calling... many TV shows won't let him do a movie until his TV contract expires and then they force him to choose. Think back in the day when Tom Selleck could have been Indiana Jones IF he could have been allowed the time to shoot it while on Magnum PI... but they wouldn't let him do it.

In this way, the BBC gets to have high-profile actors on TV series and some of them become even higher profile by going and making movies... then coming back to the UK to shoot more for the BBC because they like doing the show and it hasn't held them back.

The Doctor Who schedule, twice as much show, isn't as flexible... and has forced some actors to decide on more Who vs more lucrative offers elsewhere... and sometimes those offers don't pan out and then they can't just go back. Cumberbatch gets to be on a popular show that has a shooting schedule that allows him lots of free time to make other stuff. And we all are better off for it!

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #314 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I would guess that he does it out of enjoyment and not for the money, because he has enough other engagements now that he could easily just refuse to do more episodes. The role of Sherlock Holmes is probably appealing for any actor who's serious about the craft.
Quote:
Not to mention, he's at the center of a cultural phenomena. For us, this is a Sunday night public television show that probably doesn't even pull the ratings of the latest CSI incarnation. But in New Zealand, and perhaps other countries, The Abominable Bride premiered in movie theaters before it was shown on free TV there.
That makes sense because it's been an iconic character for him that really made his career.

Although now he has Dr. Strange coming out. If he can get the kind of writing and directing that Robert Downey Jr. did with Iron Man, he might not be so inclined to invest time in Sherlock any more. Dr. Strange has a lot of potential to be just as popular and make him a boatload of money.

Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #315 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3213 Post(s)
Liked: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Although now he has Dr. Strange coming out. If he can get the kind of writing and directing that Robert Downey Jr. did with Iron Man, he might not be so inclined to invest time in Sherlock any more. Dr. Strange has a lot of potential to be just as popular and make him a boatload of money.
I agree with Aleron. Cumberbatch is a Mastah Thespian! There's a reason why many top-flight movie actors can't let go of live theater, in spite of the long hours and low pay compared to film work. They feel a connection with the audience there, and appreciate being able to practice their craft in a pressure situation where there are no second takes.

I suspect Benedict loves playing Sherlock Holmes and would basically do it for free at this point. Martin Freeman would still need to get paid, though. His Hobbit & Fargo money can't last forever.
post #316 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I agree with Aleron. Cumberbatch is a Mastah Thespian! There's a reason why many top-flight movie actors can't let go of live theater, in spite of the long hours and low pay compared to film work. They feel a connection with the audience there, and appreciate being able to practice their craft in a pressure situation where there are no second takes.
I always thought for the Hollywood actors, it's because they like a good reason to go live in New York for awhile

post #317 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I always thought for the Hollywood actors, it's because they like a good reason to go live in New York for awhile
There may be something to that. But eight shows a week in a Broadway play would be grueling for the most dedicated actor. A lot of them do it, though. They may indeed be willing to undertake such a grind because living in New York while starring in a Broadway show would likely be pretty nice.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo BDP-103 BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #318 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So are people only now suggesting Cumberbatch is too big to be in a TV show like Sherlock because he's staring in a forthcoming Marvel movie, which may or may not be any good and merit a sequel? Or were people saying this earlier, specifically following his breakout role as "All" in Zoolander 2?

cel4145 likes this.
post #319 of 320 Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
There may be something to that. But eight shows a week in a Broadway play would be grueling for the most dedicated actor. A lot of them do it, though. They may indeed be willing to undertake such a grind because living in New York while starring in a Broadway show would likely be pretty nice.
I wonder if it's true that it's that grueling once they settle into the role? What is that? 40 hours a week maybe? Seems less grueling than musicians who do one show five or six days a week on tour but are constantly on the road.

Anyway, I do bet the theater life is a refreshing change for some over 12 to 16 hours a day on the set for a movie.

post #320 of 320 Old 11-06-2016, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Yeah, what's more grueling... a nightly show on Broadway that is the same each night once you settle into the role and get to know your fellow players... OR a TV show or movie where you film 10+ hour days and each week it's an entirely different thing?

IF their money is good... I could see them taking a "break" from the grind and doing a Broadway show that they enjoy doing and perfecting for a while.
cel4145 likes this.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page