"Sherlock" Series on PBS Masterpiece Mystery - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #361 of 387 Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
When I was a kid and there were only 4 networks on TV, I remember a PBS theatrical broadcast of A Midsummer Night's Dream, starring Diana Rigg (who I had a supreme crush on due to 'The Avengers'), which featured some wood-nymph full-frontal nudity. Seriously. Boobies (not Mrs. Peel's, unfortunately). On TV!! I was enthralled.

And yet, somehow, I made it to adulthood without permanent psychological damage from seeing them. Ah, the good ol' days.
And don't forget the series, "I, Claudius," which had a significant amount of nudity, foul language, and even featured one Claudius's wives having a competition with a whore to see how many men they could "satisfy" in an afternoon.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 387 Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 965
I missed I, Claudius the when it aired. Now I'm interested.
post #363 of 387 Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
When I was a kid and there were only 4 networks on TV, I remember a PBS theatrical broadcast of A Midsummer Night's Dream, starring Diana Rigg (who I had a supreme crush on due to 'The Avengers'), which featured some wood-nymph full-frontal nudity. Seriously. Boobies (not Mrs. Peel's, unfortunately). On TV!! I was enthralled.

And yet, somehow, I made it to adulthood without permanent psychological damage from seeing them. Ah, the good ol' days.
Thanks for confirming I wasn't imagining things because I recall seeing full frontal too back in the "good ol' days." Except I wasn't a kid then.

I didn't notice any censoring but then I was watching it streaming via the PBS app on my TV. PQ was excellent.

post #364 of 387 Old 01-10-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I didn't hate the first episode... but agree this week's episode was better. I also usually see things coming... but I have to admit... they got me with the ending.
post #365 of 387 Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I didn't hate the first episode... but agree this week's episode was better. I also usually see things coming... but I have to admit... they got me with the ending.

Having read "The Dying Detective" and also having figured out what Mary meant by go to hell, Sherlock, I figured it out pretty quickly. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show at all though. Sherlock in the boot was a laugh out loud moment in the show!

Like you, the ending which was the lead in for the next episode was a total surprise. It was hinted at by Mycroft at least twice, but I still didn't see THAT happening. You would think the time they spent with Sherlock and Mycroft's parents would have had a slip about it, but I guess Gatiss and Moffat hadn't thought of it yet.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #366 of 387 Old 01-13-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Thanks for confirming I wasn't imagining things because I recall seeing full frontal too back in the "good ol' days." Except I wasn't a kid then.

I didn't notice any censoring but then I was watching it streaming via the PBS app on my TV. PQ was excellent.
I had severe problems with my PBS app again, so much so as to make it unwatchable halfway through. So I ended up connecting a laptop to my TV to watch the second half a couple of nights later. PQ was excellent, though I got a few split-second freezes (which were several seconds long and much more frequent on the app). However, I did get the dialogue censoring on the same stream I assume I would've been watching on the app (when I switched from the app to the PC browser version, it remembered my place).

With all my difficulties with the app, I wish I had waited until it comes to Netflix, assuming NF doesn't drop this show as it has so much other content recently (I was reluctant to take a chance). Instead, I'll probably watch the finale OTA, thanks in part to the earlier start time.
post #367 of 387 Old 01-14-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Does anyone else find it kind of "cheap" to be introducing a new Holmes at this point? With there being zero reference to an additional family member, her introduction just seems forced to me.
post #368 of 387 Old 01-14-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
And don't forget the series, "I, Claudius," which had a significant amount of nudity, foul language, and even featured one Claudius's wives having a competition with a whore to see how many men they could "satisfy" in an afternoon.

SMK
One of the best series ever.
shivaji likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #369 of 387 Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 606
the "hidden Holmes",, just part of the need to keep various threads coming and going to keep your attention for the fund drive . . . meh.

for me a major WTF moment: Mary as the stewardess pushing the stewardess dressed up in Mary's former traveling old lady get up.
that qualifies for one of those youtube segments: everything that's wrong with.

maybe we'll get a flashback about that but how could they make me care

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #370 of 387 Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I missed I, Claudius the when it aired. Now I'm interested.
Damn, I remember the series. I'm not sure if I taped it or not. Most of my tapes are in special shelf plastic storage boxes and the labels on the side of many of the boxes has fallen off. I'd have to pull the tapes to see if I managed to record it on VHS.

Excellent series.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #371 of 387 Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Excellent end to the series. I watched the BBC One version, including the drama promos before and after the episode. Helps to have a friend in the U.K.

Sucks that we going to have to wait another year before we, hopefully, get three more episodes.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #372 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
theres alot of hate for the new series on the internet. but i enjoyed it.
i do think this will be the end of the show.
post #373 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Excellent end to the series. I watched the BBC One version, including the drama promos before and after the episode. Helps to have a friend in the U.K.

Sucks that we going to have to wait another year before we, hopefully, get three more episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
theres alot of hate for the new series on the internet. but i enjoyed it.
i do think this will be the end of the show.
I agree that the season finale supports the inference it could have been the show's finale. My daughter loved it, my son in law hated it, and I was somewhere in the middle. Some of the stuff that went on in Eurus's prison struck me as dark to the point of ugly, but the explanation of the meaning of the little girl as the lone conscious person on an airliner was very effective, I thought. Bottom line, there has never been a bad Sherlock.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #374 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
I found myself checking the clock a lot in the second half of this episode. Its not like you don't already know the heroes will survive. Super smart all-powerful villain, yeah we get that. Heroes in peril, yeah we've been there. The show was supposed to be about solving mysteries.
post #375 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I found myself checking the clock a lot in the second half of this episode. Its not like you don't already know the heroes will survive. Super smart all-powerful villain, yeah we get that. Heroes in peril, yeah we've been there. The show was supposed to be about solving mysteries.
while I dug the character of the sister with her great powers of perception, her unblinking gaze, and the meet up with baby brother Sherlock, the whole set-up, wind up of you shoot guy A, so that wife B and girl C lives, was tiresome and drawn out and I hit the FF button just to move the artificial tension along.
post #376 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 939
This whole season was overboard with camera effects and being cute.

The Euris plotline suffered from no real weight and

Spoiler!
shivaji and Aleron Ives like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #377 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Damn, I remember the series. I'm not sure if I taped it or not. Most of my tapes are in special shelf plastic storage boxes and the labels on the side of many of the boxes has fallen off. I'd have to pull the tapes to see if I managed to record it on VHS.

Excellent series.
I'll just leave this here : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Claudius-Co...rds=i+claudius :-)

5 disc set for less than a tenner.
post #378 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
This whole season was overboard with camera effects and being cute.

The Euris plotline suffered from no real weight and

Spoiler!
Good point about the sister. Ha, Ha!
dmatch likes this.
post #379 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Thanks. I didn't even know it was still available. $14.25 delivered to the U.S.

Yes, it is "PAL", but I have the equipment to play 720x576 25fps DVDs, even if region coded. I actually prefer the original frame rate and resolution.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #380 of 387 Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I'm surprised that no else else has noticed the major mistake at the end, when they were cleaning up Sherlock's flat.

The floor was still intact. They went thru that whole scene about the bomb going thru the floor, and yet it didn't.
shivaji likes this.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #381 of 387 Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I didn't know that this last episode was also the season finale. From some things I have been reading, it could also be the series finale as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...dly-close.html
post #382 of 387 Old 01-17-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 965
As others have alluded the final five or so minutes had series ender written all over it. Of course time will tell, but I have a feeling that neither of the leads need the money to make ends meet.
post #383 of 387 Old 01-20-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The violin duet at the end should have been this tune....
gprace and asarose247 like this.
post #384 of 387 Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
The violin duet at the end should have been this tune..
That was good but I was thinking it would have been way cool if they had played the Sherlock theme music - especially if this does turn out to be the finale...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #385 of 387 Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 552
I was a bit disappointed in this season (series?) finale.

The premise just required the viewer to suspend belief way too much, well beyond any previous episode:
- That a genius mind like Sherlock not only repressed all memories of his sister and best friend, but that Mycroft and his family could've covered it up so completely, eliminating all traces and never slipping to the degree it triggered Sherlock to question and investigate at some point.

- That his sister could reprogram anyone (even a genius like Moriarity) and turn them into a thrall in under five minutes was the stuff of sci-fi/fantasy (like the Mad Hatter in the current season of Gotham).

And then little things, like Mycroft giving Eurus five minutes with Moriarity without secretly recording it. WTF? Mycroft is head of the most sophisticated intelligence agency in England. I thought he was supposed be really smart.

Any one of those things, I would've said "okay, that's just TV," but Sherlock has been much better at coming up with (pseudo-)scientific explanations for weird phenomena than most shows and avoiding inconsistencies. If this is the direction the show was headed, I say good riddance.
post #386 of 387 Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 606
^
Thank You.

makes me ready for the next season of Bosch and its very minimal / nonexistent WTF? moments . . . .

next time, if ever, I'll wait for the hype to ebb before thinking Maybe?

To whomever tries to reboot this Sherschlock Groans trainwreck . .
good luck.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #387 of 387 Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3738 Post(s)
Liked: 3764
Finally got around to watching this last episode. Good grief, that was ridiculous. I agree with everything Zookster said above. The premise that the unmentioned-until-now Euros Holmes was some kind of Marvel universe super villain with mind-control powers that could bewitch & enslave anyone at any time defied everything Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be about -- logic, observation, deduction, all grounded in the "real world". It looked like they intended it to be the series (American version of the term) finale. If so, good. Don't think I'd watch another one if diving headfirst into the world of magic is all they had left. Too bad. It was really good for the first few seasons - all the way up to this one, really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page