Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

James Nesbitt is an incredible talent so I'd be hard put to say whether it was Moffat or Nesbitt that made Jekyll so good.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to slight anyone,just trying to point out how good Moffat is without mentioniog the obvious Agree with gwsat about that episode though-it might have been as fine a piece of work as he has done.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

James Nesbitt is an incredible talent so I'd be hard put to say whether it was Moffat or Nesbitt that made Jekyll so good.

I found the Jekyll DVDs at Amazon UK at such a cheap price that even with the shipping it would have been an incredible bargain. Alas, it was being sold by a third party vendor through Amazon UK but the vendor could not ship to the US. The price for the DVDs at Amazon.com is about twice what the Amazon UK price would have been and it just wasn't worth that to me for DVDs. If they had been BDs, maybe so but I didn't want to pay $20 plus for DVDs.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I found the Jekyll DVDs at Amazon UK at such a cheap price that even with the shipping it would have been an incredible bargain. Alas, it was being sold by a third party vendor through Amazon UK but the vendor could not ship to the US. The price for the DVDs at Amazon.com is about twice what the Amazon UK price would have been and it just wasn't worth that to me for DVDs. If they had been BDs, maybe so but I didn't want to pay $20 plus for DVDs.

Netflix has it. Both streaming or dvd.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Netflix has it. Both streaming or dvd.

I am ordinarily not much of a streaming fan, which is one of the reasons I dropped Netflix. I just got an offer for a free month from Netflix, though, so I may take them up on it just to see the Jekyll series. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

Yes, I've often thought that it would be nice to be able to contact those vendors directly so those items could be purchased by overseas buyers and not limited to the local service area of the respective Amazon division.

Have you looked at Amazon Canada? Quite often they will have those UK TV and film releases.

They do have it but it's a bit pricey at around $31 USD, not including shipping.

http://www.amazon.ca/Jekyll-James-Ne...8053447&sr=1-1
Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Some of the theories are covered here:
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock...rlock-series-2
http://seriable.com/sherlock-reichen...ape-explained/

Series 3 update from the series creators:
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/21405/sh...eries-3-update

Great stuff! Thanks for digging it out for us. I am out of town for the weekend but when I get back home I plan to watch Sherlock's "death" fall again. I had already figured out that Molly was probably in on Sherlock's plan but both the truck, which was in the right place at the right time and then moved, and the bicyclist's timely collision with Watson flew entirely beneath by radar.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been a member since 2001 but never visited here until I posted Sherlock in the wrong forum. At least the series have a great following. I also enjoyed The State of Play series, not the movie.

It's great to know about S3; now I need to check out Jekyll. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree that the State of Play TV series was wonderful but the film not so much. In fact, I have kept the State of Play episodes on my TiVo and intend to watch them again. Bill Nighy and Kelly McDonald were particularly wonderful but there wasn't a weak link in the show's large ensemble cast.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The State Within is great tv also...heck, there's a ton of great english shows

Old 05-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Great stuff! Thanks for digging it out for us. I am out of town for the weekend but when I get back home I plan to watch Sherlock's "death" fall again. I had already figured out that Molly was probably in on Sherlock's plan but both the truck, which was in the right place at the right time and then moved, and the bicyclist's timely collision with Watson flew entirely beneath by radar.

In addition to Molly, I would think Mycroft would be instrumental in the faked death as well. Mycroft's involvement would also follow the original "Return of Sherlock Holmes" story, The Adventure of the Empty House

Sherlock series three: new details revealed
Mark Gatiss, the co-creator of the BBC's Sherlock, has revealed that the new series will begin with an episode based on The Adventure of the Empty House.
"The third series of the BBC's hit drama Sherlock will begin with an episode based on Arthur Conan Doyle's short story The Adventure of the Empty House, the series' co-creator Mark Gatiss has revealed.
The new series, in which Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman will reprise their roles as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, is due to begin filming in early 2013.
"There's certain things about The Adventure Of The Empty House which feel set in stone because that's how Sherlock comes back, but at the same time we feel free to invent and to introduce new stuff to it," said Gatiss."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-revealed.html
Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The State Within is great tv also...heck, there's a ton of great english shows

um, the link avs put there is not what I'm talking about Belated thank you for the theories about Sherlock's survival. If true, I like how his plan was foreshadowed in the first episode. I just love a smart show that expects its audience to "get it".

Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Leaving the mystery of how Sherlock engineered his fake death and how far in advance he set those wheels in motion aside, there's another question that I haven't seen anybody, either here with all our great big AVS brains or in the blogosphere, address:

What was it that Sherlock had on Moriarty there at the end? I mean, Moriarty has Sherlock "dead" to rights - game over, baby. And then, all of a sudden, he realizes Sherlock has something on him that causes him to come to the conclusion that the only way to beat Sherlock is to kill himself! WTF??! And they communicated this shared knowledge - I dunno - telepathically or something. WTFx2??!

So what was it that convinced Moriarty that the only card he had left to play was to eat a bullet? Surely that wasn't his "Plan A"...? He had a lot more malevolence to inflict on the world to just meekly bow out like that - without ever being sure that his ultimate sacrifice would be Sherlock's ultimate demise. That's not the Jim Moriarty we've come to know and love.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sherlock Series 2 Extras (Sherlock Uncovered)

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Leaving the mystery of how Sherlock engineered his fake death and how far in advance he set those wheels in motion aside, there's another question that I haven't seen anybody, either here with all our great big AVS brains or in the blogosphere, address:

What was it that Sherlock had on Moriarty there at the end? I mean, Moriarty has Sherlock "dead" to rights - game over, baby. And then, all of a sudden, he realizes Sherlock has something on him that causes him to come to the conclusion that the only way to beat Sherlock is to kill himself! WTF??! And they communicated this shared knowledge - I dunno - telepathically or something. WTFx2??!

So what was it that convinced Moriarty that the only card he had left to play was to eat a bullet? Surely that wasn't his "Plan A"...? He had a lot more malevolence to inflict on the world to just meekly bow out like that - without ever being sure that his ultimate sacrifice would be Sherlock's ultimate demise. That's not the Jim Moriarty we've come to know and love.

I dunno, I have to rewatch it I guess. But I was under the impression it was exactly his plan to force Sherlock to either kill himself or sacrifice his friends. He's crazy, you know Otherwise why would he have Watson's,etc. deaths set up in advance? And it would make a twisted kind of sense. From the first time we saw Moriarty he took pride in being Holmes' mirror image, being a consulting criminal to Sherlock's consulting detective. Seeing Holmes admired in the public eye while he went unnoticed had to rankle. Its plausible he'd be willing to die if it meant destroying Holmes' reputation...

I'm probably wrong though. My brain isn't that big to begin with and seems to be shrinking a little more every day.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm probably wrong though. My brain isn't that big to begin with and seems to be shrinking a little more every day.

I agree. We are probably all going to be wrong about how our boys Gatiss and Moffat decide to resolve the mystery. Whatever they do, in the words of Sydney Greenstreet to Bogie in The Maltese Falcon, "it's bound to be something astonishing."
Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree.

Well, that hurt...

Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think moriarty is not the real moriarty just a puppet who's strings are being pulled by the real moriarty.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, that hurt...

It shouldn't hurt. My implication was that with the sly, diabolical Gatiss and Moffat at the controls nobody can predict what they will do, other than that it will be astonishing. But I somehow think you knew that already.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I was amused that the background music when Moriarity was breaking into the crown jewels was the same used in The Thomas Crowne Affair during the big heist sequence at the end. (Sinnerman)
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw Series 2 of Sherlock in March because I bought the BDs from Amazon UK. I had already watched Series 1, which I had bought earlier from Amazon.com. I loved all six episodes of the two series but episode 1 of Series 2, A Scandal in Belgravia, is one of my all time favorite TV episodes. I loved Lara Pulver as the sexy and very smart professional dominatrix, Irene Adler. Can hardly wait for Series 2 to appear on BD. I want to learn how Sherlock is alive and healthy despite, apparently, taking a dive off of a multistory building.

The 1st and 2nd series are now available on Amazon Prime and found this today regarding Series 3. It will premiere after Downton Abbey on January 19th on PBS.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I just rewatched the six episodes. Such a freaking good show! I still don't understand it all. But I won't comment about all that. I just wanted to speculate out loud on the cliffhanger ending to season 2. I think there are three clues as to how he did it.

1. i think there is something to the hanging dummy at the beginning of the episode.

2. an obvious choice: he asked molly for her help but we don’t know the details.

3. he was very adamant about watson not moving from the spot he was at as they talked on the phone and then a bike messenger hits watson after he jumps, knocking him loopy for several seconds.

The actor who portrayed Moriarty was absolutely brilliant. The way he could change his face, tone, and body language was incredible.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I just rewatched the six episodes. Such a freaking good show! I still don't understand it all. But I won't comment about all that. I just wanted to speculate out loud on the cliffhanger ending to season 2. I think there are three clues as to how he did it.

1. i think there is something to the hanging dummy at the beginning of the episode.

2. an obvious choice: he asked molly for her help but we don’t know the details.

3. he was very adamant about watson not moving from the spot he was at as they talked on the phone and then a bike messenger hits watson after he jumps, knocking him loopy for several seconds.

The actor who portrayed Moriarty was absolutely brilliant. The way he could change his face, tone, and body language was incredible.

As noted in my earlier posts, I love Sherlock too. If there is a more cleverly written or brilliantly acted show on television I don't know what it would be. By the way, I hope my favorite dominatrix and the love of Sherlock's life, Irene Adler, comes back. The scrumptious Lara Pulver was marvelous as Irene.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99

I'm anxiously waiting for the next season on PBS, January I think :)

I'm waiting for quite a few new seasons this winter of my favorite UK programs!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'm anxiously waiting for the next season on PBS, January I think smile.gif

I can't wait until then. I have preordered the Series 3 BDs from Amazon.uk. Fortunately I have an all regions chip in my BD player, so I don't care whether the Series 3 Sherlock BDs are region locked or not.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'm anxiously waiting for the next season on PBS, January I think smile.gif

I can't wait until then. I have preordered the Series 3 BDs from Amazon.uk. Fortunately I have an all regions chip in my BD player, so I don't care whether the Series 3 Sherlock BDs are region locked or not.

My Blu-ray player is all_zone/all_region also. It really helps not to worry about that. My television plays PAL formats native as well. It says so when I push the info button. smile.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

I can't wait until then. I have preordered the Series 3 BDs from Amazon.uk.

Has Amazon reversed its region lockout policies? I once tried to order a PAL video game from Amazon UK, and it refused to ship a PAL product to a country that uses NTSC. There was no "I know what a region code is, let me buy it anyway," checkbox that I could find, so I was forced to send to a friend of mine in the UK and have him post it to me himself. Is that no longer necessary?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Please post whether they are region locked or not when you get them. My guess is they are not but have afraid to order since they are not marked as region free as in the past. Thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Has Amazon reversed its region lockout policies? I once tried to order a PAL video game from Amazon UK, and it refused to ship a PAL product to a country that uses NTSC. There was no "I know what a region code is, let me buy it anyway," checkbox that I could find, so I was forced to send to a friend of mine in the UK and have him post it to me himself. Is that no longer necessary?

I buy DVDs from Amazon UK frequently. If Amazon is the actual seller no problem. Some other companies that sell thru amazon will not ship.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Please post whether they are region locked or not when you get them. My guess is they are not but have afraid to order since they are not marked as region free as in the past. Thanks

As it happens, Series 1 and 2 of Sherlock are on all regions BDs. I have bought the Downton Abbey BDs from Amazon.uk too but they are all Region B specific. The problem with region specific BDs is that even if you have an all regions chip it is necessary to set it to play Region B BDs if it had been set to play Region A (USA and Canada) discs, so I have to go though the hassle of setting my all regions chip for Region B. Fortunately, most BDs aren't region specific these days, so they don't care whether the BD player is set for Region A or B.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Been my experience that most BD players have a hack code that will defeat the region limitations. They can usually be found on the interwebs.