post #91 of 260 Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As it happens, Series 1 and 2 of Sherlock are on all regions BDs. I have bought the Downton Abbey BDs from Amazon.uk too but they are all Region B specific. The problem with region specific BDs is that even if you have an all regions chip it is necessary to set it to play Region B BDs if it had been set to play Region A (USA and Canada) discs, so I have to go though the hassle of setting my all regions chip for Region B. Fortunately, most BDs aren't region specific these days, so they don't care whether the BD player is set for Region A or B.
I've programmed my Harmony remote to change the region on my Oppo BDP-83 to make it easy, takes all of about 15 secs and 2 button presses.

As far as Amazon restricting shipments, it may be specific to games(certain games?) as I've purchased DVDs/BDs from Amazon UK, France, Germany and Italy without once having any mention of a non-shipping policy due to playback region variance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 260 Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wouldn't bother getting Sherlock series 3 BD from Amazon UK and I say this as someone who has ordered several blu-rays from Amazon UK. You will only save maybe $3 since Sherlock Series 3 BD is listed on amazon.com for $30 and coming out on Feb. 11. The UK says January 27 and with how long it takes amazon UK to ship things, you wouldn't get it much before Feb. 11 anyway. The last pre-order BD I did from Amazon UK took 2 weeks to get to my house and I am a prime member.
post #93 of 260 Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I wouldn't buy the UK editions to save time or money: I'd buy them to get whatever special features are exclusive to the UK releases and to ensure that the video is in the correct format. Not all PAL sources get converted to NTSC ideally, or even correctly. Thanks for the information about the lack of restrictions. I may start importing some old series now. smile.gif
post #94 of 260 Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I buy UK editions of shows like Sherlock and Downton Abbey so that I can see them immediately and with BD quality. It's as simple as that. I have bought a few BDs from Amazon UK in order to save money but not many. I did, however, save substantially by buying the UK BD of the wonderful A Night to Remember. Although it used the same transfer as the Criterion Collection BD, it was a lot cheaper. The only downside was that it lacked some of the extras that came on the Criterion BD.
post #95 of 260 Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just found a terrific "mini-episode" of Sherlock Series 3, which was released today by the show's creator's. It is seven and a half minutes long and doesn't spoil anything about the upcoming Series 3. Enjoy! smile.gif
bpeacock22 likes this.
post #96 of 260 Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I had forgotten that was coming out today! Thanks for the link!
post #97 of 260 Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I had forgotten that was coming out today! Thanks for the link!

You are welcome. I thought it was a lot of fun.

More generally, Merry Christmas to all!
ltownsend likes this.
post #98 of 260 Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You are welcome. I thought it was a lot of fun.

More generally, Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for the link! It was brilliant! biggrin.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #99 of 260 Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Two things about the link, for one I was pretty impressed with the picture quality, not bad for a fairly low bitrate stream, second the BBC bug was so much nicer than what I see here in the US. Well outside the 4:3 safe area and also way to the top edge. Compare this to what I see all the time, inside the 4:3 frame as well as many inches from the edge of the screen, oh and most of the time the bug has other crap hanging off it :mad: Currently my ABC station has a large snow flake surrounding the ABC bug!

post #100 of 260 Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The ABC bug is annoying, but the bug on CW takes the cake at present. It has animated falling snowflakes. rolleyes.gif
post #101 of 260 Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

The 1st and 2nd series are now available on Amazon Prime and found this today regarding Series 3. It will premiere after Downton Abbey on January 19th on PBS.
Reminder for next Sunday!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/

v/r,
C-F
post #102 of 260 Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
PBS locally ran the hour-long interviews with the writers and lead Sherlock actor last night. Noticed PBS.org has a section on this show, although I couldn't run any videos(?) at the site. Lots of details about how they transformed fictional Sherlock tales, plus films back to the silent era, into their modern series. -- John
post #103 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Season 3 premier. I noticed that the day for the terrorist underground explosion was set for November 5th. This setup in the underground, the location (Parliament) and the date were exactly as presented in the movie V for Vendetta as November 5th is Guy Fawkes day. Look at the plot line for V For Vendetta. Maybe I missed something with this connection.confused.gif
post #104 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
We didn't like the Season Premiere last night. Which was very disappointing for us because we were big fans of the series. It just seemed too disjointed and not very cohesive. Maybe it was time slot or hard to get into after Downton Abbey.
post #105 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

We didn't like the Season Premiere last night. Which was very disappointing for us because we were big fans of the series. It just seemed too disjointed and not very cohesive. Maybe it was time slot or hard to get into after Downton Abbey.

Well, its good to see I'm not alone. There were some things I liked but on the whole it was kind of a mess...I kept waiting for the plot to focus on a mystery only Sherlock could solve but instead we get a soap opera about his personal life. Granted, they had to deal with the cliffhanger from the last season but to spend the whole episode on that seemed excessive...All style, and no substance. And the style got old pretty fast. As did the gay subtext...do the writers think they are the first to notice that about the Holmes-Watson relationship? Wilder did it better in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes...Maybe my expectations were too high, based on how brilliant the show was the 1st two seasons. Maybe they can get back to form now that they've dealt with his return. Maybe I'll love the next episode...right now though, disappointed is the reaction I have to the new season.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #106 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

....and another thing... after watching Masterpiece Theater for years, our ears are "tuned" to the various British dialogs/accents. But last night, even that seemed a bit muddled.
post #107 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

Season 3 premier. I noticed that the day for the terrorist underground explosion was set for November 5th. This setup in the underground, the location (Parliament) and the date were exactly as presented in the movie V for Vendetta as November 5th is Guy Fawkes day. Look at the plot line for V For Vendetta. Maybe I missed something with this connection.confused.gif

Did anyone else notice this?
post #108 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to see others didn't particularly like the season 3 premiere. The camera kept jumping around and this really bothered me.
The least episode of the series especially disappointing after last season's great finale.
post #109 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah. I'm hoping this was just an anomaly and we can get back to what made Sherlock a great Masterpiece series.
post #110 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I haven't watched series 2 yet. I enjoyed series 1... and I bought both series 1 and 2 on Blu-ray a while ago... just haven't had the time to watch series 2... so Series 3 is going to pile up on my DVR until I can find time to catch up.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #111 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I loved every minute of Episode 1 of Series III! Rather than focus on the Mystery of the Week, the show instead looked more closely than usual at Holmes and Watson's relationship and the people around them. I thought all of that was richly entertaining. Admittedly, a lot of what I liked about this episode was its Inside Baseball aspects but I would have thought that most who have loved the show would also love and know something about the legend created by Arthur Conan Doyle.

There were many wonderful moments in the show. For example, when Molly, who has long had a crush on Sherlock, told him she was engaged to a wonderful fellow, Sherlock wished her luck and said, "After all, not all the men you fall for can turn out to be sociopaths," (referring to himself and Moriarity) he kisses Molly on the cheek and leaves. As Sherlock is walking out the door, Molly quietly says to herself, "Maybe it's just my type." That was wonderful stuff, I thought.

Finally, a little online research revealed that our favorite dominatrix, Irene Adler, is scheduled to appear in next week's show. Bring it on! smile.gif
post #112 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

.....Granted, they had to deal with the cliffhanger from the last season but to spend the whole episode on that seemed excessive...
All style, and no substance. And the style got old pretty fast. As did the gay subtext...do the writers think they are the first to notice that about the Holmes-Watson relationship? Wilder did it better in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes...Maybe my expectations were too high, based on how brilliant the show was the 1st two seasons. Maybe they can get back to form now that they've dealt with his return. Maybe I'll love the next episode...right now though, disappointed is the reaction I have to the new season.

Better than acting as if the faked death never happened. Too many series have a "cliffhanger" episode event that, when the new season starts, is swept under the rug within the first 15 minutes. Holmes "death" was a major event that had significant impact on his "inner circle". a little re-balancing was called for.
This episode did have a different tone. Different, not worse. I got a kick out of the "Austin Powers' editing.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #113 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Quote:

Did anyone else notice this?

I don't understand your question exactly. Nov 5 is Guy Fawkes day. Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the House of Lords on that day in 1605. That's why that day was chosen in the movie V For Vendetta, and was chosen for this episode of Sherlock. Both "attempts" were on that day an homage to Guy Fawkes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

There is a very famous poem about it:

The Fifth of November

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #114 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well, first off, I don't compare this show to other series. At its best its at such a high level that it can only be compared to itself, and that's why I found this episode lacking. That's probably a little unfair, and rereading my original post I'll admit it was harsher than I meant it to be. On the whole I was entertained. I just wasn't wowed like I'm used to being when I'm watching Sherlock. Its also the first episode I've seen that didn't seem quite as true to Doyle's original stories. Part of Doyle's genius is that he created the most unforgettable character in fiction without ever focusing the story on him. The stories are always about the mystery and much more concerned with plot than character development, What we learn about Holmes is much more implied than stated, and comes in brief asides during the stories. He's a bigger mystery than any of the cases he solves. Despite that, Doyle managed to create the most well known character in fiction and arguably the most loved. Up to now the series has revealed who Holmes is in much the same way as Doyle did. IMO, they've done a better job of it than any other film version of the character. To make him the center of the story as this episode did seems a bit of a cheat

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #115 of 260 Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I loved every minute of Episode 1 of Series III!

Yah, me too. So good to have them all back.

CW Hinkle
post #116 of 260 Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I don't understand your question exactly. Nov 5 is Guy Fawkes day. Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the House of Lords on that day in 1605. That's why that day was chosen in the movie V For Vendetta, and was chosen for this episode of Sherlock. Both "attempts" were on that day an homage to Guy Fawkes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

There is a very famous poem about it:

The Fifth of November

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

My question was did anyone recognize the same plot, using the undergorund (subway to us New Yorkers), to carry explosives under Parliament as used in V For Vendetta. Sorry if I wasn't clear.frown.gif
post #117 of 260 Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I loved every minute of Episode 1 of Series III!

Yah, me too. So good to have them all back.

Yeah, it is great that they are back. My BDs of Series III are scheduled to arrive from Amazon UK on January, 29. I really want to see Episode 1 again, this time on BD. PBS will be showing Episode 2 on January 26, so I'll probably watch it before my BDs arrive. I have found that Sherlock episodes get better with each re-viewing. For some reason the Series III BDs from Amazon UK are Region B encoded, which means that unmodified US BD players won't be able to play them. That wasn't the case with Series I and II. Both were universal so they could be played on unmodified US BD players.
post #118 of 260 Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I enjoyed the premiere, and like another poster said, that they didn't sweep the mystery of the cliffhanger under the rug within a few minutes.

For me, the reveal of how he did it frustrated me merely because I did not notice the ambulance building in the way of John as he talked on the phone. I knew Sherlock telling John not to move from that spot--very adamantly--meant something to the scheme and that something had to have taken place in those few moments. I assume the shooter did not have an eye on the airbag deployment and movement, as well. That being said, it was a very satisfactory answer.

I watched on Apple TV. PBS made aired episodes available the next day on their Apple TV and Roku app. It was much better quality than PBS the channel. Particularly sound.
post #119 of 260 Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

At least I'm not the only one who found the episode lacking. It seems to me that the showrunners have become so enamoured with their own success that they're not trying as hard anymore. I got the sense from this episode that someone had made a bet to see how many stupid visual effects sequences of Sherlock's thought processes they could justify squeezing into a single episode. It reminds me of the tedious CGI used in CSI episodes, where it apparently isn't enough to just say that somebody got shot without cutting to a 3D representation of the entire event. This Sherlock adaptation has always been more about style than substance, but series 3 has thus far ruined the balance from the previous two.
post #120 of 260 Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I finally watched the episode last night and I agree with Aleron, it was disappointing. I loved the parts where the conspiracy theorists were trying to figure out how Sherlock could have survived but the rest of the episode didn't really work for me. As someone else said, I think this episode was the least true to Doyle's stories that we have seen yet.

In the original The Empty House story, Holmes emphasized that he couldn't tell Watson he was really alive because Watson was not a good actor and it was imperative that Moriarty's network think Holmes was dead so he could carry out his plan of rounding them up. I saw nothing in the episode that mentioned this and it just came off like Sherlock was being a jerk and just plain didn't trust Watson enough to let him in on it. They played the Holmes is playing a trick on Watson card one time too many with the bomb in the traincar at the end for my tastes. Hopefully the next episode will get back to the series' usual high standards.
lonwolf615 likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page