post #31 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Thats interesting. I didn't have any closed caption or overscan issues. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I have my DVR hooked up via HDMI straight to my HDTV along with the digital optical audio straight to my AVR?

Not sure, I didn't see it either, but have been away from the display on and off. Apparently it was an image with the replay system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUribe!!
post #33 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
my goodness, this game got out of hand fast...

what kind of "vitamins" has jose been taking??

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Liked: 10
FOX's HD feed is lousy via Comcast tonight on my Panasonic Viera G25. Their picture during the NLCS was similarly bad -- TBS had them beat by a mile. The amount of noise in the picture is just ridiculous.

I know the problem isn't that FOX is 720p, since Netflix HD streaming looks fantastic on this TV. In fact, even the commercials look fine. It's just the picture of the game itself that is a letdown, which is especially disappointing considering how much the World Series influenced the timing of my TV purchase.
post #35 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

interesting... there's a bit of video noise, but hardly a ridiculous level...

sounds like a local issue?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM

The noise has gotten better as it has gotten darker in San Francisco, but it's still pretty obvious. I've been switching over to ESPN during the World Series commercial breaks, and the difference in quality is easy to see.
post #37 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sound on Diplo commericial is cool - rear speakers get a nice bas-filled work out.
post #38 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Ok, why is the Fox feed from KTVU-TV in San Fran so noisy.

The blacks are high and the noise floor are really apparent. Watching off of Direct -TV and the signal is extremely poor.

The blacks have lots of noise in them and the micro-blocking is terrible.

What's going on boys, this feed looks terrible!

PS - The blacks are way up on the low cameras...
post #39 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
OTA NYC WNYW
sub par once again
don't give me any of this atmospheric interference BS
simply bad HD
post #40 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by akovia View Post

No pay per view over the net?

Wrong forum. This is the HDTV forum, not the low quality streaming video forum.....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #41 of 316 Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

my goodness, this game got out of hand fast...

what kind of "vitamins" has jose been taking??

Jose? This is Juan Uribe, Jose's cousin. Jose Uribe was killed in a car crash in December 2006.

Afro GT
post #42 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

WHy has Fox gone to using their football music for baseball games? Noticed this during the NLCS too?

Pic quality fair, on D*.
post #43 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Jose? This is Juan Uribe, Jose's cousin. Jose Uribe was killed in a car crash in December 2006.

yea, brain fart here... i was tired...

did that game ever end last night?

- chris

post #44 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #45 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.tvpredictions.com/foxpix102810.htm

Fox Does Not Deserve the World Series
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 28, 2010) -- I realize that Fox outbid its rivals for the rights to broadcast the World Series (and the NL Championship Series). But the network's continued sloppy HD coverage of the games compels me to say that it doesn't deserve to be the sole broadcaster of such a prestigious event.

Last week, I noted that Fox's HD picture during the NL series was so soft and grainy that it didn't look like real high-def. I even questioned whether the picture was HD at all, but I have been assured by industry sources that it was. They said that the problem appeared to be at the source -- meaning Fox's transmission to its local affiliates apparently lacked sufficient quality control.

My observations about the sub-par HD picture was echoed in Internet message boards such as the well-respected AV Forum. Fox viewers could not understand why the picture was so soft, particularly during the games broadcast from San Francisco. (In contrast, TBS' HD coverage of the AL Championship Series was eye-popping; sensational.)

Despite the poor showing, I was hopeful that last night's coverage of game one of the World Series would be different.

It wasn't.

The picture again lacked the pop and crispness that we have come to expect (and love) from high-def. During close-ups of the players, there was little detail in their faces and the shots of the field action were even more watery.

Usually during a HD baseball broadcast, the picture is so clear that you can see the stitches of a baseball as it sails across the diamond; you can read the signature of a player on his baseball bat; why you can even clearly detect the skin texture of the faces of the fans in their seats.

But the Fox HD picture last night often made you wonder why people got so excited about high-def. I could almost hear HD doubters saying, 'What's the big deal? Why did I buy this expensive TV? For this?"

FYI, I watched last night's game on DIRECTV and Comcast on my local Washington, D.C. affiliate, WTTG-TV. But before you suggest that my local station was having a problem, again look to the message board of the AV Forum. The site was littered with complaints from Giants/Rangers viewers who were watching the game on different stations across the nation.

(One more note on this point: MLB Network aired a pre-game show from Pacific Bell Park, the site of the game in San Francisco, and the picture was beautiful. Crisp, sharp, vivid. Everything you hope for in HD.)

The bottom line is that Fox is screwing up one of the great traditions of sport. By serving up a sub-par picture, it's taking some of the fun out of watching a great game.

I realize again that Fox paid its money to carry the games. But in the future, I would hope that Major League Baseball and other professional leagues would insist on some quality control being part of the contract. The poor picture does not reflect well on them, either.

So until Fox commits the resources to improve the picture, I must say that the network doesn't deserve to carry the World Series or any other major sporting event.
post #46 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 07:46 AM

I watch on KTTV-11 in Los Angeles. I get a perfect HD picture. Is it me or is it I don't know what a HD picture looks like? My HD picture looks the same on the other HD channels.
post #47 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

By Swanni

If/when the Comcast/NBC merger is completed, I wonder if the new company would bid for an MLB package down the road. I, for one am tired of having to put up with the Buck/McCarver combo exclusively for the last 10 years and wish we could go back to a time when the WS alternated between multiple networks every year.
post #48 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

By Swanni

(One more note on this point: MLB Network aired a pre-game show from Pacific Bell Park, the site of the game in San Francisco, and the picture was beautiful. Crisp, sharp, vivid. Everything you hope for in HD.)

For us local to the SF bay area, it's too bad Comcast Sports Net Bay Area can't do a local broadcast of the games as their picture quality, from the very same ballpark, is markedly superior in every way to the FOX broadcasts. CSNBA broadcasts in 1080i while FOX is 720p, but before those comments of which is better start, I want to say that I don't really believe that's the problem here, there's something else going on. Yes, weather and time of day do contribute to the image problems, but these games via FOX just haven't had that 'pop' to them, and the image is just plain soft overall, problems that are not seen on CSNBA.
post #49 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired17 View Post

I watch on KTTV-11 in Los Angeles. I get a perfect HD picture. Is it me or is it I don't know what a HD picture looks like? My HD picture looks the same on the other HD channels.

I wouldn't say I get a perfect HD picture all the time from Fox. However I thought Game 1 was watchable to me on KSWB-Fox 5/69. With regards to the actual game broadcast from a picture quality point of view, I thought the game looked fairly good. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfect, I would give it an 8. I didn't see any "swimming" grass, not a whole lot of grainy picture, and the detail on closeup shots looked good to me. In all honesty, the only issue was some of the aerial shots. As some have mentioned on this thread, I too agree, the picture quality has improved as night progressed. I would much rather have the MLB Playoffs on Fox than ESPN right now, since ESPN is an absolute crap shoot with regards to picture quality. I guess since I'm not an expert videophile, I don't know what I'm talking about.

And the FOUL!
post #50 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

I wouldn't say I get a perfect HD picture all the time from Fox. However I thought Game 1 was watchable to me on KSWB-Fox 5/69. With regards to the actual game broadcast from a picture quality point of view, I thought the game looked fairly good. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfect, I would give it an 8. I didn't see any "swimming" grass, not a whole lot of grainy picture, and the detail on closeup shots looked good to me. In all honesty, the only issue was some of the aerial shots. As some have mentioned on this thread, I too agree, the picture quality has improved as night progressed. I would much rather have the MLB Playoffs on Fox than ESPN right now, since ESPN is an absolute crap shoot with regards to picture quality. I guess since I'm not an expert videophile, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I agree that is got much better as the night went on and I think that had a lot to do with the artificial lighting taking over from natural light, but it was still soft in my opinion. Occasional closeups could get very sharp, but in general, as I noted above, a better quality image is definitely possible, just maybe not from FOX.
post #51 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Occasional closeups could get very sharp, but in general, as I noted above, a better quality image is definitely possible, just maybe not from FOX.

Reminds me of when FOX did their 480p wide screen crap, close ups looked better but long distance looked soft. Maybe they are down converting to transmit to other stations?
post #52 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Are the graphics at the top of screen (still) getting cut off? I only see the bottom half of the score bug. It only happens with MLB on Fox, not NFL.

This is KSWB San Diego 5/69 on TWC.
post #53 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Reminds me of when FOX did their 480p wide screen crap, close ups looked better but long distance looked soft. Maybe they are down converting to transmit to other stations?

It does have that sort of look to it, but I'm certain what they're sending out from the truck is an HD image, and what gets sent to the stations from the network is also an HD image and one that every station should get due to the FOX splicer system. I think what ever it is they're doing that is marginalizing the image, whether it's camera angles, filters, focusing techniques, etc, along with lighting and weather, by the time it's compressed for delivery via the splicer system it just hasn't survived very well resulting in the soft image we're getting at home.
post #54 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 AM

I watched for a while until I said "yuck" and turned it off.
Very grainy and soft. Barely even HD.
Without cable or satellite I get all my programming OTA. (and CBS, NBC and ABC look fabulous- depending on the show, obviously)
Remember FOX was the channel that said HD was "a fad" and tried to appease the public with "FOX Widescreen."
Add in Tim McCarver and I'm outta there.
post #55 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It does have that sort of look to it, but I'm certain what they're sending out from the truck is an HD image, and what gets sent to the stations from the network is also an HD image and one that every station should get due to the FOX splicer system. I think what ever it is they're doing that is marginalizing the image, whether it's camera angles, filters, focusing techniques, etc, along with lighting and weather, by the time it's compressed for delivery via the splicer system it just hasn't survived very well resulting in the soft image we're getting at home.

I believe the quality live sports on FOX is adversely affected by whatever FOX is using for their backhauls to the TOC. Live shows like AI don't, that don't rely on backhauls, don't suffer the same degradation.
post #56 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

I believe the quality live sports on FOX is adversely affected by whatever FOX is using for their backhauls to the TOC. Live shows like AI don't, that don't rely on backhauls, don't suffer the same degradation.

But, they don't show the vast majority of the show from long distances either.
post #57 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Liked: 11
Fox's HD picture for the world series last night and even during the NLCS is not in HD as a matter of fact in my opinion is a upconverted 488p signal. I was watching the game on Fox 8 WJW in Cleveland Ohio on Directv. It's so soft and grainy that it didn't look like real high-def at all. The picture again lacked the pop and crispness that we have come to expect from Fox HD. Fox please use better HD Cameras for your sporting events my goodness get with the program Fox. And MLB please give the world series to someone else other than Fox like MLB Network or TBS but please not Fox.
post #58 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkraly2004 View Post

Fox's HD picture for the world series last night and even during the NLCS is not in HD as a matter of fact in my opinion is a upconverted 488p signal. I was watching the game on Fox 8 WJW in Cleveland Ohio on Directv. It's so soft and grainy that it didn't look like real high-def at all. The picture again lacked the pop and crispness that we have come to expect from Fox HD. Fox please use better HD Cameras for your sporting events my goodness get with the program Fox. And MLB please give the world series to someone else other than Fox.

Your opinion is wrong.
post #59 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

I watched the game on KKFX (Santa Barbara) via DirecTV and the PQ was great!
post #60 of 316 Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTech View Post

If/when the Comcast/NBC merger is completed, I wonder if the new company would bid for an MLB package down the road. I, for one am tired of having to put up with the Buck/McCarver combo exclusively for the last 10 years and wish we could go back to a time when the WS alternated between multiple networks every year.

Buck/McCarver? I rid my ears of them -- as well as Berman and a few others -- by installing a simple
lamp cord switch on the center speaker cable. The
game sounds remain audible via the other speakers.

It is also useful for other sports when the announcers
are so enamored with the sound of their own voices as to be incapable of silence.

B
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page