BSG:Blood and Chrome on SyFy (coming soon!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Might as well start a thread regarding the new entry in the Battlestar Galactica universe.

How soon do we start calling it by its nickname, The Adventures of Young William Adama?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wonder if they will talk about how he got such bad acne?

Argee
post #3 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
No offense to fans, but I'n done with the Moore BSG world. Last thing we need is for this to turn into another of the never-ending spin-offs, a la Stargate. If they can't come up with anything new, except for re-cycling previous shows (which never got good ratings in the first place), then I'll get my SF elsewhere. Young Adama Chronicles indeed! "Yawn"
post #4 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I like Ron Moore and I like the BSG universe and I'll watch this next one as well, but you do wonder why there seems to be such a dearth of creativity at the SyFY Network. Seems like their "Imagine Greater" slogan is a misnomer. Not much imagination at all over there.
post #5 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

No offense to fans, but I'n done with the Moore BSG world. Last thing we need is for this to turn into another of the never-ending spin-offs, a la Stargate. If they can't come up with anything new, except for re-cycling previous shows (which never got good ratings in the first place), then I'll get my SF elsewhere. Young Adama Chronicles indeed! "Yawn"

Young Adama - Oh come on REALLY ...

Cancelling Caprica mid season makes me wonder why I should invest in another series.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #6 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Bring on the Blood and Guts!!! Action, Action, Explosions, killing, space combat and weapons!!!

Characters? Story Arc? Symbolism? BSG mythology? If its there Hurray!! If its not Bring on the Blood and Gutts!!
post #7 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
So imaginitively bankrupt that they have to rip-off the "Blood & Sand" subtitle of SPARTACUS!! Just let this lame SyFy channel go dark already!
post #8 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I like Ron Moore and I like the BSG universe and I'll watch this next one as well, but you do wonder why there seems to be such a dearth of creativity at the SyFY Network.

Unlike the many other explosively creative television networks?

I think they're burdened by Universal. How can you expect them to come up with a good show when NBC can't either? Any good ideas have to go to the mother network first and SyFy gets the scraps.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #9 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Unlike the many other explosively creative television networks? :confused

AMC and FX come to mind. Starz is taking some risks on the premium side.

Quote:

I think they're burdened by Universal. How can you expect them to come up with a good show when NBC can't either? Any good ideas have to go to the mother network first and SyFy gets the scraps.

I think the problem is that SyFy is just not aiming very high, and the collapse of 'Caprica' will certainly not gird their loins for more adult, sophisticated or "hard" science fiction. They do better with "sci-fi-lite" like 'Eureka', 'Haven', and W-13. And ghost huntin' and rasslin' and, of course, their Saturday night cheapo schlock-fests. They'd like nothing more than to establish a schedule full of homogenous fare that draws consistent ratings, like USA. And that cablenet, too, is an NBC/Universal product.
post #10 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Unlike the many other explosively creative television networks?

Well I agree with you on the NBC front, but there are other networks that are creative.

I mean if I found out that AMC was doing a BSG prequel I would have much more faith than anything on SyFy. AMC would give RDM 13 episodes and let him go in the direction he wants, then, when all is said and done we would blame RDM for the end product instead of wondering if it was him or the Network.

I would say AMC, FX, Showtime and of course HBO are imaginative networks or at least network that give a show-runner enough rope to hang themselves.

I still say this show needs a name change, blood and chrome reminds me of my days as a youth riding BMX and/or a really bad accident involving muscle cars.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 61 Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

No offense to fans, but I'n done with the Moore BSG world. Last thing we need is for this to turn into another of the never-ending spin-offs, a la Stargate. If they can't come up with anything new, except for re-cycling previous shows (which never got good ratings in the first place), then I'll get my SyFy elsewhere. Young Adama Chronicles indeed! "Yawn"

FTFY

Which pretty much sums up my opinion of the network and the brainiac suits behind it. Is wrestling on yet?

edit: Is it confirmed RDM is actively producing? They sold Caprica as RDM, and it really wasn't besides his marketing anointment. Also, is good ol Jane producing? Gods hope not!
post #12 of 61 Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 461
There's a 2-hour pilot in the can which will air "spring 2013" on SyFy. It can be watched in its entirety in 10 12 minute episodes on the Machinina Prime YouTube channel, the first two episodes available tomorrow, 9 November 2012. It's available in 5 Mbps 1080p, without digital surround sound, obviously (hopefully there's some DPL matrixed surround in the stereo).

Kick-ass BSG: Blood & Chrome trailer (Click to show)

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #13 of 61 Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
That trailer just reminds me of how much I miss McCreary's work. I know he's doing The Walking Dead, but it's completely different in tone compared to BSG. Gods damn was his score good.

I'll probably wait for it to air on Syfy. tongue.gif We've waited this long...
post #14 of 61 Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I like Ron Moore and I like the BSG universe and I'll watch this next one as well, but you do wonder why there seems to be such a dearth of creativity at the SyFY Network. Seems like their "Imagine Greater" slogan is a misnomer. Not much imagination at all over there.

I think they decided to just cut back on all the good stuff and have the audience imagine something greater. It's cheaper.
VisionOn likes this.
post #15 of 61 Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I think they decided to just cut back on all the good stuff and have the audience imagine something greater. It's cheaper.

Realize that you're responding to a 2-year-old post (not that its sentiment has grown outdated smile.gif). I revived this thread to announce that a pilot is near.

Gods, has it been so long?

I'm a little surprised that they're not taking advantage and selling the pilot on disc and/or streaming services in advance of airing it like they did with Razor.

post #16 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm a little surprised that they're not taking advantage and selling the pilot on disc and/or streaming services in advance of airing it like they did with Razor.

I'm not sure whether it'll be out before it airs on SyFy (like Razor) but they have announced an "unrated" BD:

Announcement Video (Click to show)

There's a post about it on High Def Digest.

post #17 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

It's mine when its out!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #18 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Syfy has announced there will be no Blood & Chrome series. Just a single 2 hour movie. Doesn't give me much hope whatsoever. What an absolute waste of bandwidth "SyFy" channel is.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/with-np-pick-up-from-syfy-battlestar-galactica-prequel-blood-chrome-heads-to-youtube
post #19 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm not sure whether it'll be out before it airs on SyFy (like Razor) but they have announced an "unrated" BD:

I wonder what about it would be "unrated." Certainly language -- I noticed some dropped curse words in the two eps  that premiered today. Wonder if we'll see an expanded coed shower scene. :)

I liked the first two eps. Adama's copilot got annoying fairly quickly, though. The series definitely had that BSG vibe.

post #20 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Syfy has announced there will be no Blood & Chrome series. Just a single 2 hour movie. Doesn't give me much hope whatsoever. What an absolute waste of bandwidth "SyFy" channel is.
http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/with-np-pick-up-from-syfy-battlestar-galactica-prequel-blood-chrome-heads-to-youtube

Syfy made that statement back in March; in July there was statement by someone on a Comic Con panel that Richard Hatch and Jane Espensen were convince that it was still on the table at that time for possible pick up as a series (see this).

I can understand them not picking it up; BSG, while beloved by its fans, was a ratings failure as was Caprica. (I personally thought that Caprica was misconceived; who the hell cares about the genesis of Cylons? It was a boring, slow paced melodramatic soap opera. Blood and Chrome should have been their first prequel).

post #21 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

I know I'm in the minority; but I really liked Caprica. I love seeing the genesis of the mythology one of my favorite scifi television series of all times - BSG.

post #22 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy View Post

I wonder what about it would be "unrated." Certainly language -- I noticed some dropped curse words in the two eps  that premiered today. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wonder if we'll see an expanded coed shower scene. smile.gif

I liked the first two eps. Adama's copilot got annoying fairly quickly, though. The series definitely had that BSG vibe.

Given that some people are waiting for this to air on Syfy before watching it, it would probably be good to wrap any discussion of the web episodes in [SPOILER] tags.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I enjoyed them; frustrating to see the first 23 minutes and have it end when the real action begins.

post #23 of 61 Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

I know I'm in the minority; but I really liked Caprica. I love seeing the genesis of the mythology one of my favorite scifi television series of all times - BSG.

I'm with ya. I thought it started to get real strong at the end.

It suffered for the same reason as Invasion. Too slow a start to build an audience.
post #24 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 151
The problem with Caprica was endless rain, depression, and no one that you really gave a crap about. It could have been SO much better than it was.

Pretty much like The Killing, in other words, except I do like Joel Kinnaman as Det. Holder there.
post #25 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

The problem with Caprica was endless rain, depression, and no one that you really gave a crap about. It could have been SO much better than it was.
Pretty much like The Killing, in other words, except I do like Joel Kinnaman as Det. Holder there.

I was about to quickly post "...Like 'The Killing'...! And then I read your second paragraph. tongue.gif

Agree that 'Caprica' was picking up steam toward the end but I don't know how they could have set up such a complex storyline without the first table-setting episodes being a bit more methodically paced. Most literary thrillers start out the same way -- set the table, then let hell break loose.
post #26 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
post #27 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So who's going to watch the web series, as opposed to gutting it out and waiting for the TV version? I'm going to try to wait but don't know if I have enough intestinal fortitude to make it that long. redface.gif
post #28 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So who's going to watch the web series, as opposed to gutting it out and waiting for the TV version? I'm going to try to wait but don't know if I have enough intestinal fortitude to make it that long. redface.gif

Already watched eps 1 & 2 - made me miss the BSG uverse all the more! Looks good, I'm in for the long haul and will watch the movie when it comes out on traditional tv.

post #29 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

I liked it as well, though it had its issues. Had a lot of promise but if got bogged down a bit.
Quote:

I'm waiting. Like I said, we've waited this long, what's a few more months? tongue.gif
post #30 of 61 Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm watching it on YouTube and will watch it again when it airs. They've said that they've divided it into 10 7-12 minute chunks and that they will release at least two of them each week. It's a bit annoying to watch it in small pieces but I'm enjoying it so far.

If you're a fan of the Halo games, Machinima Prime has a little live action piece called "Forward Unto Dawn" that was pretty good (the title is the name of the UNSC ship in the game). They doled that out in five pieces all of which are available now. If interested, you can see the first one here (a 14-part YouTube playlist, the first five of which are the feature, followed by some trailers and interviews, etc).

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page