'Conan' on TBS HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 346 Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Coco needs to pick up his game, honeymoon wore off already and i haven't really seen anything fresh or as good as Late Night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Yep, one of my favorite things about the Directv hddvr is the 30 second skip. I start all football games 30-60 mins late just because of it.

+1 but if it's a playoff football game the guests can get really psst off, i say what's the big deal it's delayed regardless if you are "caught up"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I and others just plain can't afford a DVR in the first place.

Is this AVSforum.com? First i thought Ramm was cool, then questioning the Conan tweet and now this, i'm picturing a grumpy old man with a Black and White 20'' TV screaming at the tall pale guy with red hair to get off his tele...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 346 Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Here in a couple of weeks, if Natalie Portman wins the Oscar for Black Swan, we'll get another edition of "Oscar Winner F-Bomb Hall of Fame". She dropped one a few weeks ago during her interview when talking about alternate titles for her film "No Strings Attached".

I was really hoping that Conan would goad Jeff Bridges into dropping an F-bomb, especially when they were talking about cursing on the set of True Grit, but alas he did not. This is a funny bit that could really keep on growing, especially with more Academy Award winning actors appearing on the show! I'd like to see a few years from now having a dozen or more busts in the "Hall of Fame".

The busts are what make this running gag classic Conan. I can't wait to see what a Natalie Portman bust would look like.
post #273 of 346 Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

He could always change the name and do the year 4000.

Can a rename actually work? I know Dave Lettermen did that without problems, but not sure in this situation.

The Photo skits usually have a different names depending on the theme. They usually happen after Conan return from a long break with reruns for a week or two, after Christmas, Thanksgiving, or just a made up short trip, field trip, event, etc.

That clip was interesting, as a lot of places no longer offer 1-hour photo prints, when they used to be just about everywhere.
post #274 of 346 Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

That clip was interesting, as a lot of places no longer offer 1-hour photo prints, when they used to be just about everywhere.

I haven't seen a decrease in the number of 1 hour photo places, just that most of them have converted their operation to print digital copies instead of from film. Just about every drugstore and Wal-Mart has one.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #275 of 346 Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Is this AVSforum.com? First i thought Ramm was cool, then questioning the Conan tweet and now this, i'm picturing a grumpy old man with a Black and White 20'' TV screaming at the tall pale guy with red hair to get off his tele...

Where did you cull that "DVR" bite from? I actually own a bunch of standalone DVR's, and am currently using 2 - a TiVo HD, and a Panasonic EH75V, so I'm not sure exactly what I was referring to when I said that.

Also, I do all my main TV-watching on a 50" Elite plasma.

As far as the "tweet", did you read all the way to at least posts #229 and #230?
post #276 of 346 Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

Quote:

Just about every drugstore and Wal-Mart has one.

That is also correct, but Walmart and a lot of stores are phasing out in store film processing in new and in remodeled stores. Old store that still have labs will not be maintained so they will be fazed out. Some store that dont have film processing are even getting rid of send out film service all together. I know, because I used to gather up a ton of send out orders for many stores. Even for digital prints a lot of places are now farming out the work more. I'm no longer delivering the same amount of regular paper orders. Most people just don't see the need to print pictures, I don't print all that often either.

A lot of this could also depend on where you live, but unless your doing regular C41 color film, in 135 format, and the store actually has a minilab, and has already setup the machine in a run earlier, you might not be able to get it in a hour. It's much less expensive for most stores to do without 1 hour processing service, because so few people use film nowadays, with the cost being about the same to run one roll as does twenty (not counting print cost). You end up with a lot of wasted chemical and clean up time if they don't do it that often. I used to be able to get colour and b/w on 120 and 135 done in a hour with slides taking a tiny bit longer if you wanted them mounted.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #277 of 346 Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Late Night TV Ratings Week: 'Conan,' Up; 'Tonight Show,' 'Late Show,' 'Nightline,' 'Daily Show' Down

By Bill Gorman– February 17, 2011

Posted in: 1-Featured, Late Night TV Ratings

The late night TV ratings scorecard is where we chart the ups and downs across a portion of the late night TV landscape on a weekly basis.

For the week of February 7-11, 2011 compared to the previous week:

NBC’s Tonight Show (Leno) was down a tenth to a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating.
CBS’s Late Show (Letterman) was down a tenth to a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating.
ABC’s Nightline was down two tenths to a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating.
TBS’ Conan was up a tenth to a 0.6 adults 18-49 rating.
Comedy Central’s Daily Show (Stewart) IN REPEATS was down 0.3 to a 0.4 adults 18-49 rating.

Those looking for the final tally/chart of Jay vs. Conan Tonight Show ratings click here.

The chart shows the late night adults 18-49 weekly average ratings beginning the first week of 2011.

Because of network, timeslot and running time differences, these ratings comparisons are necessarily somewhat apples to oranges. The Tonight Show and The Late Show run 11:35p-12:35a, Nightline runs 11:35p-12:00a, Conan runs 11:00p-12:00a, and The Daily Show runs 11:00-11:30p. Here’s a limited look at the advantage the earlier/shorter shows have in the ratings PR battle.

Assumptions are that the broadcast networks are in substantially all of the 115.9 million US TV households. TBS is in 101 million households, Comedy Central is in 99 million.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...how-down/82986

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #278 of 346 Old 02-17-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Another appearance by Reggie Watts on last night's Conan made my week - love that guy.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #279 of 346 Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I can recall, last night was the first use of the gong on the show by Wormworth during Martin Short's interview.

post #280 of 346 Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Critic's Notes
Where in the World Is Conan O'Brien?
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com

Promotions for this weekend's "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" documentary have had the late-night veteran plastered on billboards and on TV spots across the country.

It's more than we've seen of the 6-foot-4 carrot top in the seven-plus months since the debut of "Conan" on TBS. Hard to believe that just a year ago, he was at the center of one of the biggest media stories in a decade.

Indeed, where the web abounds daily with clips from "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," "The Daily Show" and "Live! With Jimmy Kimmel," there's been a distinct dearth of nuggets emerging from "Conan" to be digested by cubicle jockeys the next day.

Not that his career is in the dumper, by any means.

His TBS series has averaged more than 1.2 million total viewers. And despite a lack of videos going viral on the web at large, his website, TeamCoco.com, averages in excess of 1 million video views a week, and his Twitter following numbers about 3.3 million.

He also performs particularly well with young audiences -- the median age of his viewers is 32, and according to TBS, "Conan" outperforms "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," "Jimmy Kimmel Live" and "The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson" in the sought-after adults 18-49 demographic. (Of O'Brien's 1.2 million average total viewers, 864,000 of them fall in that demo.)

But still, that's network versus cable, where his "Tonight Show" audience had been hovering in the 2.5 million total viewers.

The issue seems to be one of relevance. Conan's now on a network whose staple is reruns of "Family Guy," "My Name Is Earl and "King of Queens." There are no cutting-edge political interviews, or anything remotely zeigeisty coming out of a show that was once the hippest in late night.

His biggest news lately was winning a nonspeaking cameo on "How I Met Your Mother." His most recent magazine cover appearance was for Fast Company.

For its part, TBS insists that's part of a plan. "Conan's digital presence is amazing -- the digital traffic to Conan is huge, and all of that is due to his appeal to youthful audiences," Michael Wright, executive vice president and head of programming for TBS, TNT and Turner Classic Movies. While Wright says that "the Conan guys put out fewer clips than Fallon or Kimmel," he adds that it's a deliberate choice not to flood the internet with clips.

Still, it's clear Conan has lost the water-cooler effect.

O'Brien was unavoidable in early 2010 when NBC, in a move that sparked outrage nationwide, decided to pull him from "The Tonight Show" after just seven months in order to reinstate Jay Leno, who'd been struggling in his new timeslot at 10 p.m.

Seemingly overnight, the country rallied behind the slighted comedian. "Team Coco" joined the national lexicon, with millions aligning themselves behind O'Brien. Even Jimmy Kimmel felt compelled to take a few well-pointed digs at Leno, going so far as to imitate Leno for an entire episode of his show.

"It's great to be here at ABC," Kimmel-as-Leno cracked. "You know what ABC stands for? Always Bump Conan."

When an exiled O'Brien launched his Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour, even those who weren't able to attend the string of sold-out shows gobbled up tidbits of the appearances via video snippets.

And when he signed with TBS, his arrival was heralded with an orange blimp that hovered tauntingly over NBC studios as Leno taped the show that O'Brien had been bounced from.

One factor to consider when reflecting on O'Brien's lowered media presence is that the comedian isn't necessarily for everyone, says Brad Adgate, senior vice president-director of Research Horizon Media.

"He plays to a niche audience that works on cable," Adgate told TheWrap. "In terms of his popularity, he's popular in a certain group of viewers. I wouldn't necessarily call him a mainstream comedian ... A lot of people are not going to get his humor. It kind of works with TBS even though he's on earlier, because the audience expectations are lower."

Even so, Adgate said, "Nothing he does necessarily stands out. He hasn't have any guests where people say, 'Wow did you see Conan talk to so-and-so'?" Adgate said." And again, [Jon] Stewart and [Stephen] Colbert have been really smart; they had the march on Washington and other stuff. And the Stewart and Chris Wallace [argument on 'Fox News Sunday'] ended up all over the place."

Whether O'Brien has -- or needs -- a robust presence in the viral-video world at large, TBS is clearly banking on his presence being a guiding light for the network.

When TBS first signed O'Brien, Wright told TheWrap, they weren't just seeking someone to fill a timeslot -- they were looking for a big, red figurehead for their brand.

"On a network that's hung out a slogan 'Very Funny,' [O'Brien's presence is] an identifier," Wright says. "Conan's brand is very specific; it's very loud, and it's very well known."

And for TBS, Wright notes, "It's a lighthouse; you have 300 different network islands, and you have to shine a light out."

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/co...y-factor-28565
post #281 of 346 Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not looking good for Conan. His numbers are way down (60 percent) since the initial month.

O'Brien trails his major competitors at 11 p.m., who include Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman and Jay Leno. He even fallen behind Chelsea Handler, a relative newcomer, during some weeks. O'Brien's total viewership fell from 2.4 million in the show's first month on air in 2010 to 958,000 people in July. In comparison, he drew an average of 2.9 million viewers as the host of "The Tonight Show" in the last half of 2009 through early 2010.

Now the stakes are even higher, as TBS reportedly plans to pour more money into expensive programming to prop "Conan" up. The network will air repeats of "The Big Bang Theory" as a lead-in two nights a week at a reported cost of $2 million an episode. It is also developing new original television shows to complement "Conan," including "The Wedding Band," about a group of friends who perform together at weddings.
post #282 of 346 Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
Not looking good for Conan. His numbers are way down (60 percent) since the initial month.

O'Brien trails his major competitors at 11 p.m., who include Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman and Jay Leno. He even fallen behind Chelsea Handler, a relative newcomer, during some weeks. O'Brien's total viewership fell from 2.4 million in the show's first month on air in 2010 to 958,000 people in July. In comparison, he drew an average of 2.9 million viewers as the host of "The Tonight Show" in the last half of 2009 through early 2010.

Now the stakes are even higher, as TBS reportedly plans to pour more money into expensive programming to prop "Conan" up. The network will air repeats of "The Big Bang Theory" as a lead-in two nights a week at a reported cost of $2 million an episode. It is also developing new original television shows to complement "Conan," including "The Wedding Band," about a group of friends who perform together at weddings.
Half of July was reruns... but whatever...

I could go on ranting ... it's just not worth it.
post #283 of 346 Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

He's got to get off TBS; they're killing him. He looks so depressed most nights. I never watched him before Jay stabbed him in the back, but since then I've become a fan. Since his show starts at 11:00, I watch the first half of his show instead of the depressing and god-awful local news, and I look forward to it. I hate that he's not on on Friday nights (mistake on TBS' part), and I hate that the show doesn't have enough money for him to do the kind of show he apparently did at NBC pre-Tonight Show. My hope is that when Dave retires in a few years, that he'll tap Conan to replace him. With a bigger budget, and being (hopefully) back in New York, I think Conan could return to form.

By the way, Jay is still a back-stabbing, unfunny ass.
post #284 of 346 Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

CBS decides who gets to replace Letterman, not Dave. Worldwide Pants owns the show, but CBS controls what goes in the time slot of their network's post-11PM local news. While I do think Conan represents the most logical continuation of late night's tradition lineage from the Carson era (and would continue CBS' tradition of being the 2nd home for "Late Night" hosts denied a chance to make "The Tonight Show" their own) I expect CBS will pull hard for Jon Stewart to take over "The Late Show." His show's Emmy-winning streak, years of experience on "The Daily Show" and ability to generate 'hot' online/media buzz would be great assets to make sure the show at least starts with a core young audience on which Stewart could build. Conan proved on his short-lived (and yes, compromised by Leno's lousy 10PM lead) "Tonight Show" tenure that his appeal has a roof that is relatively small but very youthful.

I wouldn't be surprised if, by 2012, Jon Stewart is hosting Letterman's show, Colbert is moved to 11PM and Conan becomes Comedy Central's new 11:30PM show. Or maybe Jimmy Kimmel will get tired of being invisible and will let Conan take over the post-"Nightline" slot. Jay's corpse will still be hosting "The Tonight Show" of course, with an-improving-but-you've-got-to-be-kidding-me Fallon waiting in the wings to take over the day after Leno keels over and dies on-stage mid-joke.
post #285 of 346 Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

He's got to get off TBS; they're killing him. He looks so depressed most nights.

You just hit on why I stopped watching him months ago. He looks depressed, which creates a show that makes me feel depressed when I watch it. He let his giant ego destroy his career. Should have taken the 12:05 job.
post #286 of 346 Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I really don't see any scenario where Stewart leaves The Daily Show format for the talk show format. And I don't see any scenario where CBS lets him do The Daily Show format on CBS late night. CBS has a perfectly capable back-up in Craig Ferguson, who is a much better interviewer than Conan. (Really, if there's one thing I've noticed watching Conan lately, it's that he's a terrible interviewer. Compare the awkward interview he did with Anne Hathaway on Wednesday with the very comfortable interview Stewart did last night.)

I think the reality is the late night throne on CBS or NBC just isn't what it used to be, thanks to the Leno-Letterman-Conan fiasco. If I had to guess, Stewart would be more interested in taking Scott Pelley's or Brian Williams' seat than Letterman's or Leno's (and I don't think he's that interested in either Pelley's or Williams' seat either.) Point is, given the empire they've built at Comedy Central, there's no where for Stewart to go but down.

I also don't think Comedy Central would put Colbert on TDS. They don't need to kill one profitable enterprise (The Colbert Report) to save TDS. To the extent that they're grooming anyone to take over TDS, it's John Oliver. You can already see the first transition joke: "The Daily Show with Jo[h]n [strike]Stewart[/strike] Oliver." My guess is Comedy Central right now is content to take things one election at a time. And given his political views, even though Stewart is almost 50, it's not clear to me that he's at all interested in retiring soon when he is providing a very important voice to those of a certain political viewpoint. After all, Conan's just as old as Stewart--I see Conan retiring long before Stewart does.

I'm wondering how long TBS will put up with these ratings. I'm guessing right now they're content with having the Conan "brand" be the face of their network, even if no one's watching. My guess is they were ready to kill Lopez Tonight a year ago but relented only because of the Conan opportunity. I suspect that's why Lopez asked Conan to come to TBS. He wasn't forced into asking to appease Conan; he was forced into asking by TBS, who would otherwise have ended its late night experiment after one year.
post #287 of 346 Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I actually like Lopez better than Conan on TBS. (No-I am not of Mexican heritage)
The crap NBC pulled with Leno and Leno shafting Conan left a bad taste in my mouth and I dont much watch late night talk shows. Letterman keeps rehasing old jokes and keeps plugging away robotically daya after day.

All these late night shows seem to just be vehicles to advertise/promote the studios new movies/tv shows and the next one hit wonders on the music side......
post #288 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nielsen/Business Notes
Conan's Ratings Are Down, but He's Huge Online
The movie studio business model is poised for its biggest shift in years as Hollywood turns to Internet delivery as the only way to boost home entertainment revenues
By Brian Steinberg, Advertising Age - September 26th, 2011

This week Turner Broadcasting will be out selling Conan O'Brien with a new pitch: Forget the TV ratings, look at his online popularity.

It's a natural angle, considering the intensifying scrutiny around the weakened TV ratings-and the "make-goods" that have come with them-for Mr. O'Brien's late-night "Conan" show on TBS. Whether advertisers will buy into it, considering the original pitch was that he was worth at least as much as his late-night counterparts on broadcast, remains to be seen.

The strategy smacks of the one long employed by the CW. With his lanky frame and signature red hair, Conan O'Brien looks nothing like Blake Lively, the comely actress who plays buxom blonde socialite Serena van der Woodsen on CW's "Gossip Girl." And yet, Turner argues his show, like hers, skews toward younger audiences that don't necessarily make the boob-tube their first choice when it comes to sampling video entertainment.

Like "Vampire Diaries" and "Gossip Girl," two CW programs whose buzz outmatches their traditional TV viewership, "Conan" has a loyal following in the younger part of the audience advertisers covet, said Steve Koonin, president-Turner Entertainment Networks-people aged 18 to 34. That concentrated youth view is what makes the show compelling, no matter the overall ratings, he said. "We're never going to make 'Conan' into a big, broad multi-demographic hit, nor are we ever going to try," he said. "It's not why we wanted this guy, and, quite frankly, that's not why he wanted us."

Turner has reason to focus attention on Mr. O'Brien's pull in other media. When "Conan" launched last November after NBC cut him loose and returned Jay Leno to its marquee late-night spot, it represented the latest front in the late-night wars-and an aggressive step for any cable network. Turner, which is sinking a reported $10 million-plus annually into a crowded field, moved boldly to claim what it thought was its due: higher-than-expected ad rates that it insisted should be on par with what marketers paid for NBC's "Tonight" and CBS's "Late Show." In its early outreach to ad buyers, Turner sought between $30,000 and $40,000 for a 30-second spot in "Conan"-Mr. Letterman's and Mr. Leno's programs typically secure between $30,000 and $45,000, according to ad buyers-and guaranteed that Mr. O'Brien's ratings among audiences aged 18 to 49 would match those of Mr. Letterman and run about 15% below those of Mr. Leno.

Yet after seeing mammoth initial ratings due to the NBC controversy, Mr. O'Brien's TV viewership has begun to settle. While his first show scored around 4.2 million viewers, nearly 3.3 million of which were between 18 and 49, according to Nielsen, his average since then has been about 1.06 million overall, with approximately 769,000 in the 18-49 category. The summer has proven more challenging. Mr. O'Brien's average 18-49 audience was surpassed in August overall by every rival except Chelsea Handler on NBC Universal's E!

To compensate, Turner has offered "Conan" advertisers make-goods, or additional advertising time, and has adjusted rates for the second year of Mr. O'Brien's show. "We all would like and anticipate our ratings to be higher, and we're working on this," said Linda Yaccarino, exec VP-chief operating officer, Turner Entertainment ad sales-marketing and acquisitions. "Stay tuned."

Meantime, she said, advertisers should be aware that Mr. O'Brien's show lures hard-to-reach young adults via online and social media, not only on TV. "TV is only a fraction of it," she said.

That argument is one likely to emerge from other media outlets, all of which are committing more resources to new distribution methods such as streaming video, downloadable clips and social-media postings. "Obviously, the bulk of our revenue comes from linear television, and DVR viewing is a significant number," said Jeff Ross, executive producer of "Conan." "Now, we would be dumb to ignore the digital side, which in the last year has grown for us significantly. We have a pretty large investment, and we have a lot of people working on it. We're just trying to do both at the same time."

Turner is making the case that Mr. O'Brien's combined online and TV audience reaches 20 million people between 18 and 49, and telling sponsors they recall ad messages a few percentage points better than is the norm for people who watch late-night talk shows. The average time spent viewing "Conan" content on his website, TeamCoco.com, has increased 30% since the show launched, and the average time spent per visitor on the site has increased 103%, according to Turner. On Facebook Mr. O'Brien has 1.7 million "friends," according to the network-more, as it turns out, than his average TV viewership in his first year on the air so far.

Turner's effort, said Ms. Yaccarino, comes after receiving a significant number of requests in advance of upfront negotiations for ad plans that involved both TV and digital advertising. Every sponsor that committed to "Conan" in the upfront purchased both TV and digital inventory, she said; TBS sold out all of the opportunities it scheduled for marketers to be placed into the "Conan" show itself. AT&T, General Motors' Chevrolet and Kia have returned for a "Conan" presence, while Dr Pepper, Ford, Lowe's and Wendy's have signed up for new berths.

AT&T likes "Conan" for the connection it brings to a young audience, said Mark Wright, VP-media services and sponsorships at AT&T. While declining to comment on the show's TV ratings, he suggested there was an allure to "the extensive and extremely loyal online fan base that is engaged in content across multiple mediums."

TBS is in the midst of rebuilding itself into a network aimed at younger comedy fans who already know the outlet as a place where they can watch "Family Guy" and other edgy fare, said Mr. Koonin. He believes the addition of "Big Bang Theory," a popular CBS sitcom, before "Conan" on the schedule could build a better lead in for the show. "We look at this as a long-term play."

http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/...online/230031/
post #289 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Liked: 11
Absolutely true. At least for me. I've been watching Conan since I was 12-13ish, and now at 22, I never miss a show. But I rarely ever watch live at 11p/10c. If I don't watch on DVR, I absolutely "marathon" the week's worth of shows on Saturday morning or Sunday Night.
post #290 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I found his new show to be quite depressing and stopped watching it after about a month.
post #291 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I still record it and watch it mainly when I'm on the computer doing something. It is comforting background noise. It is so bad though compared to the ol' NBC 12:30 show.

The skits are always bad. I miss the back and forth between Max Weinberg and Conan.

Now the band seems like they are a mile away and a non factor. I remember Pender (the trumpet player) used to be hilarious with this one skit where he would sing a song and almost pass out from screaming so loud.

What happened to classic skits like Actual Items

or when he used to go to the bar "Joe's" and get harassed by the barkeep. What about Pierre Bernard's Recliner Of Rage

or when the tv would drop down and he would talk to Arnold or George Bush.

post #292 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Liked: 11
What happened to the skits?

They are back in creative prison at NBC/Comcast, and the guy with the key is saying "neener neener neener..."
post #293 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldmaga View Post

They are back in creative prison at NBC/Comcast, and the guy with the key is saying "neener neener neener..."

Yet another example of when copyright law and contract/property law fails us.

The copyrights are protecting the owner (in this case, NBC) from having to compete with the people who came up with the bits in the first place!

post #294 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

They still have writers. They could come up with new classics.
post #295 of 346 Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

You would have thought that they would have had a lot good stuff ready to go since they were off for how many months before he went on TBS. I was thinking that maybe I was just remembering him being better than he actually was plus Jimmy Fallon coming along and doing great skits maybe makes him look worse..
post #296 of 346 Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Conan has actually been better since his summer break. It was a simple gag, but a few days ago he and Andy were playing around with some visual tricks and the camera. At one point Conan's chin got elongated; he didn't miss a beat. Through some giggling, he did his best Leno impression and I nearly split a gut. It was impromptu and very funny. He does need some skits, and the format of the show needs some tweaking (plus, who is the person responsible for the guest list? It sucks most nights), but it's a much better way to spend an half-hour than watching local news before turning to Letterman.
post #297 of 346 Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who is the person responsible for the guest list? It sucks most nights.

The guest list has been horrible ever since the show started. I would like to believe that it has more to do with being on TBS and guests declining than it does with the talent coordinator, but Lopez always seemed to get decent guests.

post #298 of 346 Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Conan has actually been better since his summer break. It was a simple gag, but a few days ago he and Andy were playing around with some visual tricks and the camera. At one point Conan's chin got elongated; he didn't miss a beat. Through some giggling, he did his best Leno impression and I nearly split a gut. It was impromptu and very funny. He does need some skits, and the format of the show needs some tweaking (plus, who is the person responsible for the guest list? It sucks most nights), but it's a much better way to spend an half-hour than watching local news before turning to Letterman.

I was cracking up at that one too. The BEST parts of Conan are the non-planned things.

Quote:

The guest list has been horrible ever since the show started. I would like to believe that it has more to do with being on TBS and guests declining than it does with the talent coordinator, but Lopez always seemed to get decent guests.

I wouldn't say it has been "horrible", but it's not the greatest. Lopez DOES have much better guests.

Chet
post #299 of 346 Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was a simple gag, but a few days ago he and Andy were playing around with some visual tricks and the camera. At one point Conan's chin got elongated; he didn't miss a beat. Through some giggling, he did his best Leno impression and I nearly split a gut. It was impromptu and very funny.

Man, this made me laugh harder than anything I've seen in months. I was literally howling from laughter when Conan went all Leno on us (Andy's creepy deformed face made it even funnier), definitely worthy of highlight reel treatment.
post #300 of 346 Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

I agree, that was the funniest thing I'd seen on Conan in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

I wouldn't say it has been "horrible", but it's not the greatest. Lopez DOES have much better guests.

HAD better guests.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page