'Conan' on TBS HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 347 Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Those decorations are epic. Loved the return of the robot Rabbi tonight. But nothing tops the giant chicken sandwich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 347 Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Did they do something different last night in order to mask the sounds of the air compressors? Couldn't even hear them humming in the background. It was horrible on Monday, as Conan repeatedly mentioned.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #183 of 347 Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After watching last nights episode I got the impression that they spent too much on decorations the night before and had to plug the blackberry for att in order to make up the difference.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #184 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Jay Leno’s 'Tonight Show' Ratings Tie Conan's 'Tonight Show'; Stay Above 'Conan' On TBS

By Bill Gorman– December 23, 2010

Posted in: 1-Featured, Late Night TV Ratings

Jay Leno’s Tonight Show adults 18-49 ratings tied those of Conan O’Brien’s Tonight Show on a calendar week basis (2010 vs. 2009), but were above Conan on TBS show for the week.

Leno’s Tonight Show for the week of December 13-16, 2010 averaged a 1.1 rating with adults 18-49, while Conan’s Tonight Show averaged a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating for the comparable calendar week last year (December 14-17, 2009).

Conan’s new TBS show averaged a 0.7 adults 18-49 rating for the week of December 13-16, 2010, the same as the previous week.

Letterman’s Late Show scored a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating for the week.

For those constantly asking when these Jay vs. last year’s Conan posts will end, just 5 weeks to go. Plan your post-February whining now! Although after that date I plan to start a new chart with current year late night ratings only to gauge reader interest.

The chart shows the late night adults 18-49 weekly average ratings for 2009 and 2010.

New and improved with Conan TBS ratings!

Note: The week ending 7/2/2010, the Tonight Show was in repeats, and was delayed by Wimbledon coverage. The week of 7/9/2010 the Late Show was in repeats, and both shows Monday airings were excluded because of the holiday. For the weeks ending 7/16-8/6, Late Show was a repeat only on Friday. The week ending 8/13, Late Show was encores all week. Both Late Show and Tonight Show were repeats the week ending 8/20. For the week of 9/3/10, Late Show ratings were based on four days only. Note for the week of 9/10/10 NBC’s Thursday telecasts were delayed by a primetime NFL overrun. Friday’s “Late Show” was an encore, Monday results are excluded from these averages due to the Labor Day holiday. Late Show was in repeats the week of 9/17/10. Note that due to the mid-term elections, Late Show Tuesday ratings were excluded from the averages and the Tonight Show was pre-empted Tuesday the week of Nov 1-5.

Last season timing note: The Late Show staff member extortion story broke on October 1, 2009.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...n-on-tbs/76480

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #185 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Conan issues a video apology for one of his writers stealing a bit from Kimmel:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_801000.html
post #186 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Conan issues a video apology for one of his writers stealing a bit from Kimmel:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_801000.html

Lol, it was a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture

XBL GT: The Jastrom

post #187 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you laughing because the whole apology video was a fabricated bit (which I haven't heard), or because all one of his writers stole was merely a bit? Because that wouldnt be a laughing matter. In comedy it's really really frowned upon to lift other people jokes. Just ask Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia. Props to Conan for apologizing immediately.
post #188 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Are you laughing because the whole apology video was a fabricated bit (which I haven't heard), or because all one of his writers stole was merely a bit? Because that wouldnt be a laughing matter. In comedy it's really really frowned upon to lift other people jokes. Just ask Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia. Props to Conan for apologizing immediately.

except the writer probably didn't lift the joke - they just happened to make a somewhat similar joke about palin shooting rudolph.... the concept isn't exactly very hard to come up with... and the 2 jokes came off very different. Kimmel even did a similar one 2 years ago, so you could say he stole from himself...
post #189 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I would love to see a comparison between the ratings now and the ratings before Leno left the Tonight show, just to show whether there's been a drop-off in his ratings, even if he still leads most nights.
post #190 of 347 Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I was laughing because it was a coincidence that they had similar Rudolph bits and then they played it up on Teamcoco that one of the writer's stole the idea, it's such a dumb premise that several different writers would come up with what with Palin's show on weekly and shooting animals for sport, they even joked that the bit they did about the 'Anti-Missletoe Toe Missle' it turned out had been stolen from The Ellen Show.

I was laughing because then a site just runs with the headline that Conan writer stole from Kimmel with no information that it was all just a big goof.

The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture

XBL GT: The Jastrom

post #191 of 347 Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

It's actually quite a big deal among comics, which is why Conan issued the apology almost immediately instead of waiting until his next show to do it. I like the method he used to issue it (with comedy), but his writers/staff should have caught this before it went to air. It's their job to watch every other talk show. Yes, it's an obvious joke, but the fact that they occurred two weeks apart is what made it bad. If it was one night, no big deal at all. You can downplay it all you want, but I'm glad Conan and Andy didn't.
post #192 of 347 Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Conan's "Catholic guilt" was showing.
post #193 of 347 Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's actually quite a big deal among comics, which is why Conan issued the apology almost immediately instead of waiting until his next show to do it. I like the method he used to issue it (with comedy), but his writers/staff should have caught this before it went to air. It's their job to watch every other talk show. Yes, it's an obvious joke, but the fact that they occurred two weeks apart is what made it bad. If it was one night, no big deal at all. You can downplay it all you want, but I'm glad Conan and Andy didn't.

you're taking things way too seriously
post #194 of 347 Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please file the Rudolph idea under: "Bits So Obvious They Write Themselves"
No harm, no foul.

That out of the way, as my friend Gumby said "Merry Christmas, dammit!"
post #195 of 347 Old 12-24-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

you're taking things way too seriously

I don't take it seriously at all. I love how Conan and Andy handled it by making the video. The people that do take it very seriously are comics, thus the release of the apology. Props to Conan for how he handled it. Very classy. Very unMencia-esque.
post #196 of 347 Old 12-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

i think there was a similar incident recently, under the "obvious jokes" subject, it was when the wikileaks guy had some stuff revealed about him, the punchline was that Julian Assange reacted by saying "hey that's private" i heard that joke on Conan, but also on Dave or Jay.
post #197 of 347 Old 12-25-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

i think there was a similar incident recently, under the "obvious jokes" subject, it was when the wikileaks guy had some stuff revealed about him, the punchline was that Julian Assange reacted by saying "hey that's private" i heard that joke on Conan, but also on Dave or Jay.

Yes, that was definitely an "obvious joke", because I saw the same thing posted by at least a dozen of my friends on facebook. And my friends aren't that funny.

post #198 of 347 Old 12-25-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Obvious jokes tend to show up the same night or possibly the next day. The Rudolph bit wasnt a joke. It was a full fledged-skit that had taken place two weeks earlier. That's what made it bad, thus the apology. The fact that none of his writers spotted it, or possibly one of them simply borrowed it, is the problem. It's someone's job to check that bits aren't being copied.

On most nights that I watch Conan, Fallon, and possibly Letterman, I see at least one obvious joke mixed in that's shared between at least two of them.
post #199 of 347 Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obvious jokes tend to show up the same night or possibly the next day. The Rudolph bit wasnt a joke. It was a full fledged-skit that had taken place two weeks earlier. That's what made it bad, thus the apology. The fact that none of his writers spotted it, or possibly one of them simply borrowed it, is the problem. It's someone's job to check that bits aren't being copied.

On most nights that I watch Conan, Fallon, and possibly Letterman, I see at least one obvious joke mixed in that's shared between at least two of them.

still taking things way too seriously... its like its somehow personal to you...
post #200 of 347 Old 12-25-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

still taking things way too seriously... its like its somehow personal to you...

Yeah, imagine talking about an issue regarding the Conan show in the Conan thread. Herrrp a Derrrrrp!
post #201 of 347 Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Well, say what you will, but I'm enjoying Conan immensely. And, thanks to him, there's a new Christmas favorite in my household: Minty, the candy-cane that fell on the ground, for just a moment or two. And don't forget the gravy-boat lighthouse.
post #202 of 347 Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

Well, say what you will, but I'm enjoying Conan immensely. And, thanks to him, there's a new Christmas favorite in my household: Minty, the candy-cane that fell on the ground, for just a moment or two. And don't forget the gravy-boat lighthouse.

Minty's covered in excrement.
post #203 of 347 Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

After watching I am Comic, a documentary about stand up comedy, most if not all comedians just dont care. The idea is they will just write another one.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #204 of 347 Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

After watching I am Comic, a documentary about stand up comedy, most if not all comedians just dont care. The idea is they will just write another one.

You apparently weren't paying attention the past two years when it was a huge deal. Mostly surrounding Mencia and Dane Cook, and then some comic stole an entire set of Patton Oswalts and thought no one would notice. It was hilarious when a guy in the crowd posted it on youtube and ran it next to Patton's original. Things like what happened with Conan (more to say Conans writers) happen, and as long as they quickly apologize, all is forgiven. It's when the guy/gal refuses to acknowledge the theft that it becomes a huge deal. Several people here took this little news story as an attack on Conan. It clearly isn't, but it is about Conan, so this was the proper thread to discuss it in. Some folks just take their love of Conan a bit too seriously.
post #205 of 347 Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You apparently weren't paying attention the past two years when it was a huge deal. Mostly surrounding Mencia and Dane Cook, and then some comic stole an entire set of Patton Oswalts and thought no one would notice. It was hilarious when a guy in the crowd posted it on youtube and ran it next to Patton's original. Things like what happened with Conan (more to say Conans writers) happen, and as long as they quickly apologize, all is forgiven. It's when the guy/gal refuses to acknowledge the theft that it becomes a huge deal. Several people here took this little news story as an attack on Conan. It clearly isn't, but it is about Conan, so this was the proper thread to discuss it in. Some folks just take their love of Conan a bit too seriously.

There's a big difference between standup comedians stealing material and talk shows ending up with similar jokes.
If someone from his writing staff had actually stolen the joke, then Conan wouldn't have made a joke apology. All they did was attempt to make use of this 'new medium called the internet' to promote their show by creating a joke controversy...
post #206 of 347 Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, he used the Internet to apologize for a mistake a writer made. He just did it in his typically humorous Conan way. Props to him for that. I'm having a good laugh at how defensive some folks are though.
post #207 of 347 Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM

I miss the Conan strut and spin used during the "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" era. Has Conan spun yet?
post #208 of 347 Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevOne View Post

I miss the Conan strut and spin used during the "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" era. Has Conan spun yet?

Unless I'm imagining things, I believe he's done it several times.

He has also done the string dance multiple times, but Wormworth is worthless at giving him the high-hat/bass rimshot combo like Max did.

post #209 of 347 Old 12-30-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
? I barely even watch the show, but when I do, it's the monologue (because something else I watch comes on about 10:20).

But I've seen him do the "strut", "spin" and "string" things plenty of times (I don't know if that's the full "dance" you're referring to, but that thing where he pulls it and swings his hips like a woman).

Also, the "sliding back and forth in front of the camera like he's on a dolly", and "acting like he's walking down stairs".

In fact, he does either one or a combo of them every night I've seen him.
post #210 of 347 Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM

String dance?: Check
Strut?: Mostly
Spin?: I haven't seen it with the frequency of his "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" days. He used to jump, and then spin nightly.
Jump?: Check

I also miss the windy arm finger point jumps he did in his "Late Night" days. Sure he does them still to a degree, but more or less in his lazy "Tonight Show" fashion. He used to do all these nightly.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page