Discovery: Gold Rush Alaska Series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 113 Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Another interesting 'adventure' . Six guys, feeling the economic crunch, invest in bulky gold-mining equipment and head from Oregon to Alaska. Last week's opener showed a race to transport the heavy gear for just-in-time Seattle-to-Alaska barge departure. Then there's a tricky Alaskan bridge bypass, driving an overweight loader across a river to the gold-mining site. A bit over-staged here and there, and sure portrays 'average Joes', not expert miners or drivers, but the 1080i scenery and their mining exploits should help avoid the new season's HD dramas. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They seem to be settling in, building a 'community' center, lining up their trailers for housing, even zapping a pesky bear. One of the kids left some crackers out that drew the bear, among many near the site. Prospects for finding enough gold seem dim; they're low on funds only one week into a summer's mining. Operations seem somewhat helter-skelter so far. -- John
post #3 of 113 Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With part 3 yesterday it looks like they have a better chance of mining some gold. Prospects seemed dim until they called in a mining expert for a few days to help set up all the heavy mining gear, and visted their 90-year-old neighbor who claimed his rig could provide ~$25k in gold with one 'session'. A month had elapsed without much happening. A preview part-4 shot showed a large gold nugget in the processed mud--likely worth plenty if gold was around ~$1k/ounce at the time. -- John
post #4 of 113 Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have watched the last 2 episodes. I gather the only one with any mining experience is Jack, who was in Alaska 30 yrs ago? All he wants to do is haphazardly dig holes looking for the 'honey pot' of gold nuggets. Not exactly a sound business plan. I have to guess these guys will find enough to break even. Watching several families with wives and kids become destitute is not exactly 'feel good' TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #5 of 113 Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a bad feeling about this.
post #6 of 113 Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

I've got a bad feeling about this.

So do I.

Am I mistaken or in the previous episode didn't they have a grizzly come in to camp and steal some graham crackers that some of the kids left out so they went out and shot a BLACK bear?
post #7 of 113 Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, expect they'll milk the going-bust thing throughout. With odds so heavy against profitable gold mining, hard to picture a happy Hollywood ending. On the bear shooting, recall some grizzly.vs. black bear discussion, but thought they'd tracked the one that entered the camp site. Seems poor judgment to fly in more children as they did, with so many bears around. Only spotted one dude with a gun slung over his shoulder. Haven't seen that 50-cal (!) pistol being worn either. -- John
post #8 of 113 Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

So do I.

Am I mistaken or in the previous episode didn't they have a grizzly come in to camp and steal some graham crackers that some of the kids left out so they went out and shot a BLACK bear?

definitely was a grizzly in camp and black bear in woods that was killed
post #9 of 113 Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Their second gold-nugget teaser preview this Friday showed an almond-size nugget on someone's finger tips. The previous teaser, also not yet explained, was a raisin-size nugget partially buried in mud. Next week: walnut size?

A young girl had a seizure but made it by ambulance and jet to a hospital, with apparent recovery. Speculation was the bug repellent DEET caused it, or their drinking water. Stunned to learn they're all drinking from a mountain stream without filtering or sterilization; camera captured some slimy decaying animal skin trapped upstream. And a last-minute 300-gallon(?) diesel oil purchase ran their camp/mining gear only about 45 minutes. Stay tuned. Next week maybe attacks by rabid wolverines. -- John
post #10 of 113 Old 01-15-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, that's one unorganized, unlucky mining expedition. Friday's show revealed one dude merrily building a cabin instead of helping the gold hunt; another member, feeling dissed, hires onto a fishing boat--after sawing off a key equipment part on his own. And their vintage 'shaker', for separating gold, fell apart from mechanical stress, while the back-injured mechanic ran out of morphine as he helped repair the gear. Still no significant gold. -- John
post #11 of 113 Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

I STILL have a very bad feeling about this.
post #12 of 113 Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
They needed to have 3 guys able to do the mechanical work. The injuried mechanic is the hero of the show, still don't understand why the able bodied guys don't/can't help him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #13 of 113 Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

They needed to have 3 guys able to do the mechanical work. The injuried mechanic is the hero of the show, still don't understand why the able bodied guys don't/can't help him?

It's obvious.....having a nice wooden cabin for the wife and kids to come visit is a priority! For them all being broke they sure wasted a lot of money by having the families come up and stay with them (using up precious food and other resoruces) so soon.
post #14 of 113 Old 01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

It's obvious.....having a nice wooden cabin for the wife and kids to come visit is a priority! For them all being broke they sure wasted a lot of money by having the families come up and stay with them (using up precious food and other resoruces) so soon.

I have a feeling there wouldn't be a show at all without the families. ...and without the show (and the money it pays to the miners) -- probably this "operation" never gets off the ground.

[Edit below]

Here is the plot summary for the next episode:

"After 80 days, the miners are behind schedule and out of money. They need to find $10,000 worth of gold within two days or the families will be sent home. Meanwhile, after Dorsey struggles with the wave table, tensions flare and fists fly."
post #15 of 113 Old 01-22-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have to wonder how much of the 'conflict' in reality shows is manufactured. Others seemed fed up with the ex-realtor's exploits from day one, but his supposed fist fight (not shown) and the cars speeding into town to file the first police report seemed phony. (Reminds me of the stagged chair tossing and exaggerated father-son arguments in that bike-builders series--unavoidable from the endless teaser ads.) With the families gone due to inadequate funds, it's down to serious gold mining. Expected some explanation of the various-size teaser-ad gold nuggets mentioned above; instead, the latest teaser has shrunk to a Wheaties-size gold flake. -- John
post #16 of 113 Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sure, some of it is a bit staged, but I like how they explain at least the basic parts of how the shaker, trommel, and such work, and what mechanical work they have to do. The mechanic definitely is the hero of the show, I don't think anyone else out there has a lot of mechanical know-how. Grandpa needs to get focused on gold, not just making a mess all over the place.

They also seem to have made quite a bit of a mess out of that site instead of digging in targeted locations and such.
post #17 of 113 Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^Agree, good explanations/diagrams of the mechanical gear, typical of Discovery shows. Hard to fathom, with so much dependent on that last-stage wave table, why they'd turn its operation over to the ex-realtor. Then the grandfather dropped its use and settled for traditional gold panning. Next week's preview announces they've been doing everything wrong and have to start at square-one again! -- John
post #18 of 113 Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its hard to believe that these people had access to $250,000 dollars to invest in this and they can be so completely incompetent. I have watched every episode but its just getting really hard to watch these morons anymore. Its just painful. These guys should have went and bought 250,000 scratch off tickets instead.
post #19 of 113 Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM

This show kind of reminds me of Whale Wars. Lots of money spent and a total lack of competence.

WHY did they put the most inept guy in charge of the wave table, that's where the money is actually (supposed to be) made. It's just unbelievable... And to bring your families with small children up there to the wilderness... I just keep wondering what they were thinking! But I keep watching because it's entertaining watching these screw ups.
post #20 of 113 Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

And next week?
Quote:

Episode 7: GOING FOR BROKE
Premiere Jan. 28, 2011 at 10 PM
With winter weather closing in, a gold recovery expert comes to help the rookies. Todd discovers a major design flaw in the equipment and is forced to make huge modifications. With the credit cards maxed out, he is forced to take desperate measures.

Oh I can't wait.... after 200,000 dollars they discover they have been doing everything wrong. OMG these guys are the whale wars sea sheppard of gold mining.
post #21 of 113 Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM

My wife won't watch any more episodes of this show, and I'm watching it, both of us for the same reason:

"It's like seeing a car accident about to happen."

Cliff
post #22 of 113 Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jaw-dropping to watch the 'shaker' expert point out all the areas--including boulder washing--that lacked water wave action and barriers to trap heavier gold nuggets and smaller particles. Seemed they got a 'basic' shaker that lacked key parts. Surprising they didn't ask the site owner, who gets a 20% take, earlier about setup details. Perhaps, in the "Kitchen Nightmares" happy-ending tradition, they'll mine enough to recover some costs before looming fall/winter freeze-ups. -- John
post #23 of 113 Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffg View Post

My wife won't watch any more episodes of this show, and I'm watching it, both of us for the same reason:

"It's like seeing a car accident about to happen."

Cliff

lately it is like watching paint dry
post #24 of 113 Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

lately it is like watching paint dry

All reality television is to me.
post #25 of 113 Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

And for a bunch of "Christians", they sure use the "F" word an awful lot.
post #26 of 113 Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM

And the old guy's (Jack) infatuation with that big digger. They could be on the last few hours of fuel and he would still need to top the thing off so he can go on a digging frenzy.

Why they waited until the final days before bringing in consultant for some real brain power is beyond me. And they couldn't get that final vibration table to work so Jack decides it's bad. Makes you wonder what the odds are of that given their track record.
post #27 of 113 Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like, after Friday's show, there's 2 shows left. With the equipment running somewhat normally, they racked up about $7000 worth of gold--prompting a fireworks celebration--but still have to mine ~$275K worth to recoup costs before freezing sets in. The mechanic and site-owner's old-timey consultant squared off for the mandatory reality-show conflict, but at least the mechanic wasn't shouldering his weapon--as when the ex-realtor left the site. -- John
post #28 of 113 Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looks like Grandpa's digging deeper might pay off after all ..even tho he did it
in a terrible manner

Now with that new gizmo to catch the gold things are being sped up and looking good.

I hope they at least make some money to break even and some to survive until next gold digging season.

I'm Digging this show

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #29 of 113 Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They again outlined recent gold prices, up to ~$1400/oz., and a current New York Times piece details how both open-pit and deep gold mines in California have been reopened.

A curious shot yesterday showed black magnetite particles sticking to the bottom of a bucket with gold-like nuggets mixed in. Implication was that magnetic final processing of the many black-sand buckets wasn't reliable--even though that's how the compact gadget rushed in by its inventor works: (separating magnetite to one container with a magnet-covered moving belt, while non-magnetic gold falls in another). Had to wonder if the gold-like nuggets mixed with black magnetite beneath the bucket might have been magnetic iron pyrite (fool's gold).

Anyway, remarkable to learn all their buckets of final-stage black sand were nearly worthless, only containing a few dollars worth of gold each. Still, for their happy ending next week, perhaps Grandpa's long-sought glory hole, supposedly deeply buried gold beneath a guesstimated former water-fall site, might cough up its riches. -- John
post #30 of 113 Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Anyway, remarkable to learn all their buckets of final-stage black sand were nearly worthless, only containing a few dollars worth of gold each. Still, for their happy ending next week, perhaps Grandpa's long-sought glory hole, supposedly deeply buried gold beneath a guesstimated former water-fall site, might cough up its riches. -- John

Pity they were too busy to check the buckets occasionally to see what gold they were accumulating. They might have had to start the glory hole earlier if the other areas they were digging in. Of course they said the land owner had mined in the area of the glory hole down to 20 feet, so processing that dirt was likely to be void of gold until they got to virgin soil. The decision making process of these people astound me in how they can make bad decision after bad decision.

Voyager6
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page