post #121 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Cable/satellite networks don't need FCC approval -- they're not licensed. But I agree with the rest of what you wrote -- these networks start out with some sort of niche to get carried, and then broaden out to pick up advertising once they've gained the carriage.

For a while Viacom was cracking down on this with their networks. VH1 had a popular standup comedy show a few years ago. Viacom rightfully told them to pull the plug on it because VH1 is for music and the show was competing with their own Comedy Central programming.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And now VH1 shows about 5 hours of music videos and the rest is reality shows like "Basketball Wives" and "Rupaul's Drag Race". Same with MTV and CMT. No variety on a lot of these stations.
post #123 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

And now VH1 shows about 5 hours of music videos and the rest is reality shows like "Basketball Wives" and "Rupaul's Drag Race". Same with MTV and CMT. No variety on a lot of these stations.

But do those shows compete with other Viacom channels? Their goal was to get their programming to compete with Turner and other cable network conglomerates, not against itself.

post #124 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hard to tell, since I don't watch a lot of the Viacom stations. I have seen SNL on VH1 & That 70's Show on MTV. Also, I've seen Jersey Shore airing on VH1 and MTV 2. If I had a choice, I'd probably get rid of all of the Viacom stations. They all seem to show similar programming (trash).
post #125 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

Hard to tell, since I don't watch a lot of the Viacom stations. I have seen SNL on VH1 & That 70's Show on MTV. Also, I've seen Jersey Shore airing on VH1 and MTV 2.

Well, SNL on VH1 certainly competes with Comedy Central which aired SNL reruns for years. Maybe they should just rename their channels "Viacom 1", "Viacom 2", "Viacom 3", and so on.

post #126 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

Even with DVR there are just too many interruptions.

That's the thing I've complained about here often (as I have DVR's, too) - there are just way too many breaks now, and I can't relax enough to fully enjoy something when I've got my finger and hand all tensed up on the remote and "skip" button waiting for them to brashly break in right in the middle of some intense scene about every five minutes.

As far as I'm concerned, they've taken away all reasonable ability to sit and enjoy anything on commercial TV now. I honestly don't know how anybody can even stand it, no matter how much they may basically like the programming.

They may *think* they're "defeating" us DVR users (especially with snipes, banners, etc.), when all they're accomplishing with a certain portion of us (which will grow larger in time as their beligerence gets worse and the programming gets lamer) is causing us to avoid watching completely.

And they'd be wrong to assume that people like me have been "spoiled" by DVR usage - I've always avoided watching commercials, and I know that there are countless millions of others out there like me, too.
post #127 of 145 Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

That's the thing I've complained about here often (as I have DVR's, too) - there are just way too many breaks now, and I can't relax enough to fully enjoy something when I've got my finger and hand all tensed up on the remote and "skip" button waiting for them to brashly break in right in the middle of some intense scene about every five minutes.

As far as I'm concerned, they've taken away all reasonable ability to sit and enjoy anything on commercial TV now. I honestly don't know how anybody can even stand it, no matter how much they may basically like the programming.

They may *think* they're "defeating" us DVR users (especially with snipes, banners, etc.), when all they're accomplishing with a certain portion of us (which will grow larger in time as their beligerence gets worse and the programming gets lamer) is causing us to avoid watching completely.

And they'd be wrong to assume that people like me have been "spoiled" by DVR usage - I've always avoided watching commercials, and I know that there are countless millions of others out there like me, too.

I agree completely. Already I've stopped watching some shows because it's so pathetic, the amount of commercial breaks and the time spent. . Films as well. I dvr'ed Serenity on SYFY the other day. A decent space film. One of the characters is a young woman who is basically a weapon with psychic abilities. In the first 15 minutes SYFY cut a scene where she points at an armed individual who is lying on the ground concealing a gun. This scene establishes her character for the entire film. They cut it. I deleted the film then and there. I will never watch or tape a film on that channel again. What's the point?
post #128 of 145 Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Liked: 11
[quote=rit56;20078700. In the first 15 minutes SYFY cut a scene where she points at an armed individual who is lying on the ground concealing a gun. This scene establishes her character for the entire film. They cut it. I deleted the film then and there. I will never watch or tape a film on that channel again. What's the point?[/QUOTE]

Plus, the movie is cropped, losing around 33% of the picture...a shame for any movie with visual effects.
post #129 of 145 Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Does anyone know how the channel is doing since the transition? Has it affected viewership? What are the ratings?
post #130 of 145 Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rit56 View Post

Does anyone know how the channel is doing since the transition? Has it affected viewership? What are the ratings?

If you are referring to SyFy, ratings are up 14%, unfortunately. As for IFC, I have no idea..
post #131 of 145 Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The reason SyFy has improved its ratings its because of WWE Smackdown. Even though they cut out 15 minutes of wrestling to add more commercials. When Smackdown was on Mynetwork TV Smackdown was 1hr 30 minutes after cutting out the commercials. Now that its on SyFy its 1hr 15 minutes after cutting out the commercials.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #132 of 145 Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
What does Wrestling have to do with SyFy oh never mind, I got it
45 minutes of commercials in a 120 minute show I wonder if they can pump in more commercials because SyFy isn't broadcast OTA. I thought they had regulations on the amount of commercials allowed OTA, cable probably has no such regulation
I can't wait for the reality programming to start on IFC, what a waste of bandwidth
post #133 of 145 Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM

A reality show about Independent artist types. Imagine how awful that would be. I was looking for info on how the "new" IFC is working out for them. Whether their ratings have gone up, down, stayed the same. If you look at the FB page now they were getting creamed by negative comments so there is no longer a section for "Others".

Pretty amazing about the addition of 15 commercial minutes in WWE. They, all these channels are making all these shows unwatchable.
post #134 of 145 Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
45 minutes of commercials in a 120 minute show I wonder if they can pump in more commercials because SyFy isn't broadcast OTA. I thought they had regulations on the amount of commercials allowed OTA, cable probably has no such regulation
I can't wait for the reality programming to start on IFC, what a waste of bandwidth
Those regulations regarding ad content on OTA television went away in the early 80s. That is why we started seeing infomercials in the 80s -- prior to then, they would have violated the FCC's ad limits.
post #135 of 145 Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The last two weeks on Smackdown they showed two clips from Monday Night Raw. So there was only 1 hour of new wrestling in the 2 hour show.

post #136 of 145 Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Does anyone know if this has worked for IFC? Are their numbers up? down?
post #137 of 145 Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Add PBS to the list.

Quote:

PBS is breaking from its long-term model and adding commercials to shows, PBS officials told member stations at a recent conference in Orlando.

Instead of airing breaks every 50 minutes, as the public broadcaster does now, it will air them every 15 minutes beginning this fall, according to the New York Times. Nature and Nova are two of the shows that will contain corporate and foundation sponsor ads, promotional messages and branding every 15 minutes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-shows-193359

post #138 of 145 Old 06-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Amazing right? It is no longer public television.
post #139 of 145 Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Does this mean no more pledge drives?

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #140 of 145 Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Does this mean no more pledge drives?

If there are more they would be a waste of time.

post #141 of 145 Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

If there are more they would be a waste of time.

Are you actually criticizing an OTA station?

Now I know hell has frozen over.
post #142 of 145 Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Are you actually criticizing an OTA station?

Now I know hell has frozen over.

Its more like criticizing the current state of TV. I'm sick of the commercial saturation, the large amount of reruns, the screen clutter, and the large amount of reality shows. The good thing about OTA is that its free. And thats about what the current state of TV is worth.

post #143 of 145 Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Very good season premieres for Portlandia and Todd Margaret, which I think are two of the best but least talked about offbeat comedies on television.

Just the fact that Todd appears to end up having to press some kind of launch button in what looks to be a North Korean military installation will keep me watching that show.
post #144 of 145 Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, the show Todd Margaret has become even more surreal with the whole Jon Hamm situation. This is some seriously bizarre stuff.

I can't even begin to imagine how this series is going to close over the next two episodes.
post #145 of 145 Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone else here watch Todd Margaret? That was one of the most screwed-up series finales in television history.

It can be best summed up as extreme idiocy meets obscene irony.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In addition, I liked how they went over some of the show's glaring plot holes at the end.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page