Shameless on SHO HD - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 600 Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I watched the first season of Shameless when it originally aired, but didn’t really watch it, just had it on as background noise, couldn’t tell you want happened if my life depended on it. In a few week period from the middle of February to the beginning of March I rewatched season 1 for real, and went through seasons 2 and 3 in a matter of a handful of days and eventually caught up with the current season two weeks ago.

The fourth season is like a huge slap of reality to the Gallagher’s. Frank’s drinking finally caught up with him, never did imagine anything like the Hospice episode earlier on. Fiona was always resourceful and mindful enough to get out of any situation, not this time. Lip never took anything seriously, but now that his future (and scholarship) are on the line things are different. Ian is hyper, loose and carefree, not worried about if/when the Army catches up to him. Deb and the 20 year old boyfriend is just strange.

Maybe this season is meant to be some turning point, and while I’m not saying this season is bad, it just is not as comedicly (not a word I know) twisted as the past. The Aunt Ginger episodes were beyond hilarious, Deb stealing the baby from the Birthday party was funny. The whole thing with Sheila, Eddie and ‘Daddyz Girl’ Karen made a nice side story in season one that continued a bit in season two. Having Frank lose Liam, Gallagher Summer Daycare, the weed ice cream truck, Carl ‘getting cancer’ and having it ‘cured’ in one summer, those were some funny and creative situations. Season 4 has been a huge wakeup call and has had much more serious tones, except for Carl.

I can’t stand binge watching shows, and hardly ever do it, but with the first three seasons, I was literally saying to myself ‘just one more episode for tonight’ as the clock was approaching midnight when I was knocking off 4-5 episodes a night. Right from the get go Season 4 didn’t do much for me. Finally watched this past Sunday’s episode last night. Similar thing happened to me with Homeland. Seasons 1 and 2, I’d watch live with excitement and anticipation and not being able to wait for the following week. And season 3 was just eh and it and episodes would sit on the DVR for a few days before I got around to watching it. Same thing is happening now with Shameless season 4.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 600 Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The big thing about this season of Shameless is: Who get's laid first, Deb or Carl.... Right now, it looks as if Carl has the inside track.... wink.gif

Bobby 

post #573 of 600 Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Carl for sure biggrin.gif How perfect for a Clyde (Carl) to mean his Bonnie in detention and then drive though a mini mart to rob some candy. I thought Debbie was going to be first when she was hanging out with the other two girls.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #574 of 600 Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think people are taking this show too literally. To me, the show is about 2 things. 1 - where you go in life has so much to do with where you start. the Gallagher kids aren't stupid, but they have been brought up in a broken home with so little to live on. Just having 3 square meals per day and paying the utility bill is a victory. They each have a very tall mountain to climb just to get to mainstream life. 2 - there is a fine line between having your **** together and falling off of a cliff. Fiona was always the together one. She has been the parent of a bunch of kids for way too many years, starting at a young age. However, 1 false move (leaving drugs out that Liam got to) has caused her world to come crashing down.

The story line is just a way to present this.

YMMV.

David M.
post #575 of 600 Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

I think people are taking this show too literally. To me, the show is about 2 things. 1 - where you go in life has so much to do with where you start. the Gallagher kids aren't stupid, but they have been brought up in a broken home with so little to live on. Just having 3 square meals per day and paying the utility bill is a victory. They each have a very tall mountain to climb just to get to mainstream life. 2 - there is a fine line between having your **** together and falling off of a cliff. Fiona was always the together one. She has been the parent of a bunch of kids for way too many years, starting at a young age. However, 1 false move (leaving drugs out that Liam got to) has caused her world to come crashing down.

The story line is just a way to present this.

YMMV.

I pretty much agree...but there are a couple things that bothered me. With Fi, the false move wasn't leaving the stuff out for Liam to somehow get into...it was getting involved with Rob...period. Just that subway scene some eps back felt false...I kept thinking it was a dream or fantasy sequence. And having Frank laid up all season deprives the show of it's most electric character. (I'm assuming Macy was less available this year due to his film work.) Yet, despite it all, I still laugh out loud (Mickey's killing it) and still look forward in anticipation to see what will happen next. 'Cause with this show....you never know!

post #576 of 600 Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
According to this graph (which charts IMDb user ratings by episode), people seem to think the show is getting better every year. Notice the upward trend from seasons one and two. For an example of a downward trend, see the Heroes graph.

post #577 of 600 Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

According to this graph (which charts IMDb user ratings by episode), people seem to think the show is getting better every year. Notice the upward trend from seasons one and two. For an example of a downward trend, see the Heroes graph.

Not really since there are likely different users voting for each episode. The average rating may be going up but that doesn't necessarily mean people think the show is better.

David M.
post #578 of 600 Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Nielsen ratings have certainly gone up this season...it's highest-rated season yet. (Up 8% over Season 3).

post #579 of 600 Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

The Nielsen ratings have certainly gone up this season...it's highest-rated season yet. (Up 8% over Season 3).

I don't think ratings are actually a big indicator of a show's quality. It's just more word of mouth getting out. Dexter's ratings kept getting bigger and bigger, but you can see what people thought of the latter seasons.

post #580 of 600 Old 03-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I don't think ratings are actually a big indicator of a show's quality. It's just more word of mouth getting out. Dexter's ratings kept getting bigger and bigger, but you can see what people thought of the latter seasons.
Word of mouth which leads to viewing past seasons thru box sets and on demand and special deals for Showtime at this time of year have helped drive up the ratings.
post #581 of 600 Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I think the earlier episodes were more entertaining. Some of us are watching now because it's like the proverbial train wreck...

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #582 of 600 Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Man, the stuff with Frank and "Fiona" was heartbreaking. Poor little girl. frown.gif It sucks that a bastard like Frank is able to get a transplant but none comes in time for the girl.
acebreathe likes this.

post #583 of 600 Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, that scene was heart-wrenching. frown.gif

On the total polar opposite of emotions, this episode also had a true LOL moment, at least for me. On the bar-fight scene when they pan to the priest, he pulls up his rob and we see that he is the one getting the "service" biggrin.gif

Very good episode overall. Now, if they would get rid of Sheila, I would be totally happy!
acebreathe likes this.
post #584 of 600 Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Great episode. What is there one left this season?
post #585 of 600 Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

Great episode. What is there one left this season?

Yep...just one. Went by pretty fast! One thing I like about the show...each season gets pretty much resolved by the end. They don't leave you with a cliffhanger, making you wait a year to see what happens.

post #586 of 600 Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So the social worker could be Lip's girl mom? if not, why she stayed so much in there and even get Lip a break on her visit, yeah one could argue because Lip took those van kids but I'm guessing is much more than that..

oh Emily AKA Fiona, poor little girl, at least she had one last moment where she pretended to have a dad..

I'm surprised real Fiona hasn't been attacked or harassed in prison yet, we'll see

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #587 of 600 Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

The whole thing with the Amanda's parents coming over for diner was hilarious. Laughed out loud on more then one occasion during that mess. Felt bad for Debbie. I knew something wasn't right with that situation, I figured she would just get stood up for the dance, but then again this is Shameless not Full House, I should have known better. I'm excited for the season finale

post #588 of 600 Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

So the social worker could be Lip's girl mom? if not, why she stayed so much in there and even get Lip a break on her visit, yeah one could argue because Lip took those van kids but I'm guessing is much more than that...

I seriously doubt that she's Amanda's mom, that is way too much of a coincidence. More likely she was ready to read him the riot act, but dispite Lip's best attempt at putting on a bad show for Amanda's parents, she saw that the Gallagher's are better than most of her other case families. She not only have him the benefit of the doubt, she even told him when her next surprise visit was going to be.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #589 of 600 Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

So the social worker could be Lip's girl mom? if not, why she stayed so much in there and even get Lip a break on her visit, yeah one could argue because Lip took those van kids but I'm guessing is much more than that...

I seriously doubt that she's Amanda's mom, that is way too much of a coincidence. More likely she was ready to read him the riot act, but dispite Lip's best attempt at putting on a bad show for Amanda's parents, she saw that the Gallagher's are better than most of her other case families. She not only have him the benefit of the doubt, she even told him when her next surprise visit was going to be.

Roof over their head - food on the table - working utilities.

She knows what the 'system' is like - they're better off here.

(and Lip's an adult - just let it be)

(and the mother thing was a throwaway joke - don't read anything more to that)
acebreathe likes this.
post #590 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Great finale!
post #591 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Very good finale. Frank is back to his old self. Ian is now bi-polar. Good scene in the credits.
post #592 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

Very good finale. Frank is back to his old self. Ian is now bi-polar. Good scene in the credits.

Yep, and anyone who didn't see it because they shut down at the beginning of the credits needs to go back and let them run for 20 seconds.... wink.gif

Bobby 

post #593 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Great finale to a great season .. darker, more intense, fleshed out the cast a bit more .. maybe my favorite season yet ..

Great, great setup for next season ..

And now the long wait begins ..

Did I say great .. ?? tongue.gif

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #594 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Liked: 14
Yes, very good finale. I usually stop the show as soon as the credits start rolling but since this was the season finale, I decided to let it roll. I am glad I did! Nice twist! eek.gif
post #595 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hope next season takes place during the summer
post #596 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Shameless often has scenes in the end credits, so I don't know why anyone would turn off the show as soon as the credits appear.

As for this particular end credits scene, it feels like a bit of a cheat to me, because the producers went on record to confirm that Jimmy-Jack-Steve did in fact die aboard that ship. Flat out lying to viewers in order to shock them with a "Just kidding!" reveal down the line isn't clever, just deceitful. Between Frank getting a new liver, despite being a raging alcoholic, and now Jimmy turning up alive, it seems to me that the writers/Showtime just don't have the balls to really shake things up on this show.

I did love Frank's last scene in the finale. Macy did a great job showing the many emotions Frank was going through as he shouted at God, or whoever. Frank was clearly shaken by the whole ordeal he just suffered through, and I was kind of hoping this would cause him to throw the bottle away, but it's Frank, so I don't know what I was thinking. I really wish he would have learned something from almost dying.

post #597 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
I think Frank's scene on the Chicago lake front was designed to initially make the viewer think Frank was going to throw the bottle or empty the bottle into Lake Michigan .. especially after having the touching scene with the girl at the hospital .. however, I had no doubt he would partake .. and that first sip was like a coming home ceremony .. then, passing the bottle to Carl was planned as a "passing the torch" style moment .. Like Father / Like Son .. especially since Carl had also lost Bonnie ..

Brilliant ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #598 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
...at least we finally found out what on earth was going on with Ian!
I also though Frank was going to toss the bottle- but he's still Frank after all....
As soon as I saw the back of the head looking out the car window I knew who it was.. hard to kill a cockroach I guess tongue.gif

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #599 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
They are all becoming who they want to be:

• Carl becomes Frank
  • Ian becomes Monica
  • Mickey becomes the internal Mickey
  • Debbie becomes Fiona
  • Sheila becomes a mother and takes on Sammi
  • Frank becomes the old Frank
  • Jimmy becomes Jack
  • Lip maybe becomes a non-Galagher
post #600 of 600 Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The last two episodes redeemed the show this year. I was really hating this show up to that point.

These are just my opinions.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page