post #61 of 147 Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I figure there's only two or at most three more episodes, and then it will finally be over.

And yet... for some reason I keep watching.

This episode they surprised me with an appearance of Rachel Shelley (from "L-Word"), who did a very good American accent (she's actually British) as Kendra, Joey's "friend".

Anyway, there just is very little that's truly funny in this show. Very disappointing.

(but very much looking forward to the return of "Justified" on FXHD next week)

I agree with everything you've said here...

Robert Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 147 Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wow, how bout that. A semi decent episode. Still isn't going to stay much longer. lol

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #63 of 147 Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know what show you guys are watching, but I am constantly belly laughing. I really do think this show is hilarious. I guess to each his own. Thats why we have 500 channels.
post #64 of 147 Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiekathome View Post

I don't know what show you guys are watching, but I am constantly belly laughing. I really do think this show is hilarious. I guess to each his own. Thats why we have 500 channels.

I'm with you on this one. Wife & I laugh throughout this show - up until Beverly crossed the line. Hope it can stay funny when dealing with that.
post #65 of 147 Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I still like it and find it cleverly written. But, I think the Matt/Beverly fling was treading a dangerous line. It remains to be seen what they will do with it, but it really lowers the respect quotient for the characters.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #66 of 147 Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I still like it and find it cleverly written. But, I think the Matt/Beverly fling was treading a dangerous line. It remains to be seen what they will do with it, but it really lowers the respect quotient for the characters.

Yeah, we'll have to see. Definitely crossed way over the line, and frankly, I don't see how they'll make her a likable character again.

... and I'm not sure how funny the show will be considering the fact that a big part of it's appeal was watching them navigate their relationship through the nutcases in LA.
post #67 of 147 Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Matt/Bev was setup in the 2nd episode and was inevitable. I don't have a problem with it, since it's totally in LeBlanc's character (as portrayed). The show will gloss over the pain and try to provide some uncomfortably funny scenes. I like the show. Some eps have been better than others, but there's always smiles, chuckles and a few belly laughs. Maybe, if it had a laughtrack...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #68 of 147 Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I don't have a problem with it, since it's totally in LeBlanc's character (as portrayed).

Only problem is Matt LeBlanc's character is secondary - he doesn't need to be liked for the show to work.
post #69 of 147 Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The finale was, IMO, the best episode of the season. By far.
post #70 of 147 Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't believe it took 7 episodes, but that was the best episode. By far.

post #71 of 147 Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Thought I'd have a hard time laughing at anything after she crossed the line, but I was LMAO the entire episode. This has to be a lock for a 2nd season. Hopefully they can bump it up to at least 10 episodes.
post #72 of 147 Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'm fine with 6 or 7 episodes. Often the writers run out of ideas beyond that.
post #73 of 147 Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

The finale was, IMO, the best episode of the season. By far.

I'm embarrassed to say, but I did not even realize that was the finale.

I really liked it. Great season finale.
Good show.
post #74 of 147 Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
Did anyone notice an audio dropout on Matt when he was talking in his living room (defending himself)just after his "mistake" was discovered by the husband. Just got a new Pioneer Elite receiver and it was quite noticable on Comcast HD Surround (might be unique to the receiver). The stereo version OD wasn't as bad.
post #75 of 147 Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile_walt View Post

Did anyone notice an audio dropout on Matt when he was talking in his living room (defending himself)just after his "mistake" was discovered by the husband. Just got a new Pioneer Elite receiver and it was quite noticable on Comcast HD Surround (might be unique to the receiver). The stereo version OD wasn't as bad.

I do recall observing something odd about the interaction between the two of them, but I thought it was maybe just that they were shouting at each other at the same time, though I couldn't understand what either had said.

I kind of attributed it to a very bad edit that slipped through somehow.

But yes, I noticed it too.
post #76 of 147 Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile_walt View Post

I have a copy of an East Coast feed on my HTPC and there is no dropout. I don't know how predominant it is for you, but I re-watched that scene (and laughed just as hard), and didn't notice anything.
post #77 of 147 Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I'm fine with 6 or 7 episodes. Often the writers run out of ideas beyond that.
Yeah, I like the "UK format" of less episodes even if that means waiting longer between seasons.

post #78 of 147 Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I thought the episode was a treat. The fight was funny from beginning to end. The long wait while the fired guy leaves the room was a nice touch.
post #79 of 147 Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 161
TV Notes
Showtime Gives Second-Season Pickups To 'Shameless' & 'Episodes'
By Nellie Andreeva Deadline.com - February 28th, 2011

Showtime has renewed both of its freshman series, drama Shameless and comedy Episodes, for a second season. The William H. Macy-Emmy Rossum-starring family drama Shameless received a 12-episode order, while the size of the order for the Hollywood-centric Episodes starring Matt LeBlanc is yet to be determined. Production on both series will begin later this year. With the pickups for Shameless and Episodes, Showtime is now bringing back its entire winter Sunday lineup. In January, the pay cable network gave an early renewal to veteran comedy Californication. The viewer loyalty and critical acclaim that has met both SHAMELESS and EPISODES since their January debuts makes it clear that these two brash and sophisticated series are burgeoning hits, said Showtime entertainment president David Nevins. John Wells is carving out a tone that is truly unique in the television landscapeequal parts drama and comedy. And EPISODES marks the universally embraced and hilarious return to television of an inspired comedy triumvirate: Matt LeBlanc, and creators Jeffrey Klarik and David Crane..

From John Wells and Paul Abbott, SHAMELESS is based on the long-running hit UK series and stars Macy as a working class patriarch of an unconventional Chicago brood of six kids headed by the eldest sibling (Rossum) who keep the home afloat while their dad is out drinking and carousing. The series averages nearly four million weekly viewers across multiple platforms and is on pace to be the network's second-highest rated drama series behind DEXTER (5.2 million). SHAMELESS hails from with John Wells Prods. and Warner Bros. TV, with Wells, Abbott and Andrew Stearn executive producing. EPISODES is a co-production between Showtime Networks in the U.S. and the BBC in the UK, written and executive produced by David Crane and Jeffrey Klarik. Jimmy Mulville also executive produces through his Hat Trick banner. The show centers around a husband and wife producing team who are forced to navigate the many pitfalls of the Hollywood television business when their successful British show is brought to America.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/show...less-episodes/
post #80 of 147 Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
Showtime Gives Second-Season Pickups To 'Shameless' & 'Episodes'
By Nellie Andreeva Deadline.com - February 28th, 2011

Showtime has renewed both of its freshman series, drama Shameless and comedy Episodes, for a second season. The William H. Macy-Emmy Rossum-starring family drama Shameless received a 12-episode order, while the size of the order for the Hollywood-centric Episodes starring Matt LeBlanc is yet to be determined. Production on both series will begin later this year. With the pickups for Shameless and Episodes, Showtime is now bringing back its entire winter Sunday lineup. In January, the pay cable network gave an early renewal to veteran comedy Californication. The viewer loyalty and critical acclaim that has met both SHAMELESS and EPISODES since their January debuts makes it clear that these two brash and sophisticated series are burgeoning hits, said Showtime entertainment president David Nevins. John Wells is carving out a tone that is truly unique in the television landscapeequal parts drama and comedy. And EPISODES marks the universally embraced and hilarious return to television of an inspired comedy triumvirate: Matt LeBlanc, and creators Jeffrey Klarik and David Crane..

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/show...less-episodes/

Very good news indeed. My wife and I really enjoyed this show, and the finale set up beautifully a new season of hijinks.
post #81 of 147 Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news indeed.

I want to see more of that lady who always makes the weird facial gestures.
She is a hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Very good news indeed. My wife and I really enjoyed this show, and the finale set up beautifully a new season of hijinks.

Agreed.
post #82 of 147 Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice.

post #83 of 147 Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I caught all seven episodes of "Episodes" on Showtime-On-Demand Sunday (with a break for the Masters in the afternoon). I'm a huge fan of David Crane's (and Martha Kauffman's) "Dream On," and at certain moments "Episodes" matched the zany goofiness of that classic HBO sitcom. Stephen Mangan and Matt LeBlanc's best-buddy act came across as a re-incarnation of a culturally-transplanted monogamous Martin Tupper and Gibby. The whole 'he showed me his c*ck' bit with Tamsien Greig had me howling from laughter, as did almost every scene with John Pankow and Kathleen Ross Perkins (by far the prettiest of all the good-looking women on this show). Highlights: Matt 'upchoking' on Beverly's shoulder (Tamsien's frozen expression = gold ) and the un-PC treatment of Merc's wife's disability. Since Crane co-wrote every episode with Jeffrey Klarik and all seven were directed by the same person (James Griffiths) there is a consistency to the tone/laugh quota in "Episodes" that is only matched by the likes of "Nurse Jackie" (Buscemi seems to be directing every episode of that series). Being modeled after the British format (seven and out) works because the show ends on a high and leaves you wanting more.

It's not perfect though (seriously though, what show besides "Dexter" is perfect out of the gate?). I wish that, instead of getting the umpteen millionth 'fish out of water' Hollywood story that's been done to death ("Entourage" has pretty much cornered this genre on TV), "Episodes" had concentrated more on the way Sean and Beverly's English show is turned into the unrecognizable American version that is "Pucks!". It's a potentially untapped comedy gold mine (the scene in the pilot with the original English actor auditioning for the role hinted at this) but, throughout the seven episodes, the format changes are relegated to the background as "Episodes" focuses on the love triangle between Matt, Sean and Beverly (Morning doesn't count since Sean only 'wanks' to her, that's not true love ). God bless Mangan for trying, but he still comes across as a TV version of Hugh Grant doing the "Notting Hill" routine. Someone else mentioned that the TV executives come across as characters instead of people. Absolutely, and I'm OK with that as long as the show is funny but a little humanity (it's the reason Carol became my favorite amongst the network executives) would go a long way to make the laughs have more pathos. Merc Lapidus is brimming with potential to became more than a caricature of "Entourage's" Ari Gold if Crane & Co. decide not to fixate exclusively on his apparent lack of anything resembling morality. Show me that Merc is a (flawed) human being instead of a monster and it'll be easier for me to laugh both at him and alongside him.

Overall I love the show. I kept my expectations in check and, complete lack of originality aside, "Episodes" made me laugh and appreciate the freedom of cable premium cable comedies to be both naughty and a little bit smart. I'll be waiting next year to see how "Pucks!" does in its first rookie season, and the crazy that will bring on Sean and Bev's rocky marriage.
post #84 of 147 Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed Dream On as well, but for me this show felt like a misfire and never really got better. I'll be passing on next season.

Robert Clark
post #85 of 147 Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Definitely going to be there for Season 2. This show reminds me of one of my fav comedy series COUPLING (original series). WHile this show isn't the same, there's a similar tone (and not just because there are 2 Brits in the cast) that's usually missing from most American comedies. While most shows have a set-up, beat, and punchline...the lines on EPISODES just blindside you!

I hope the second season goes 12 eps.

post #86 of 147 Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
I caught all seven episodes of "Episodes" on Showtime-On-Demand Sunday (with a break for the Masters in the afternoon). I'm a huge fan of David Crane's (and Martha Kauffman's) "Dream On," and at certain moments "Episodes" matched the zany goofiness of that classic HBO sitcom. Stephen Mangan and Matt LeBlanc's best-buddy act came across as a re-incarnation of a culturally-transplanted monogamous Martin Tupper and Gibby. The whole 'he showed me his c*ck' bit with Tamsien Greig had me howling from laughter, as did almost every scene with John Pankow and Kathleen Ross Perkins (by far the prettiest of all the good-looking women on this show). Highlights: Matt 'upchoking' on Beverly's shoulder (Tamsien's frozen expression = gold ) and the un-PC treatment of Merc's wife's disability. Since Crane co-wrote every episode with Jeffrey Klarik and all seven were directed by the same person (James Griffiths) there is a consistency to the tone/laugh quota in "Episodes" that is only matched by the likes of "Nurse Jackie" (Buscemi seems to be directing every episode of that series). Being modeled after the British format (seven and out) works because the show ends on a high and leaves you wanting more.

It's not perfect though (seriously though, what show besides "Dexter" is perfect out of the gate?). I wish that, instead of getting the umpteen millionth 'fish out of water' Hollywood story that's been done to death ("Entourage" has pretty much cornered this genre on TV), "Episodes" had concentrated more on the way Sean and Beverly's English show is turned into the unrecognizable American version that is "Pucks!". It's a potentially untapped comedy gold mine (the scene in the pilot with the original English actor auditioning for the role hinted at this) but, throughout the seven episodes, the format changes are relegated to the background as "Episodes" focuses on the love triangle between Matt, Sean and Beverly (Morning doesn't count since Sean only 'wanks' to her, that's not true love ). God bless Mangan for trying, but he still comes across as a TV version of Hugh Grant doing the "Notting Hill" routine. Someone else mentioned that the TV executives come across as characters instead of people. Absolutely, and I'm OK with that as long as the show is funny but a little humanity (it's the reason Carol became my favorite amongst the network executives) would go a long way to make the laughs have more pathos. Merc Lapidus is brimming with potential to became more than a caricature of "Entourage's" Ari Gold if Crane & Co. decide not to fixate exclusively on his apparent lack of anything resembling morality. Show me that Merc is a (flawed) human being instead of a monster and it'll be easier for me to laugh both at him and alongside him.

Overall I love the show. I kept my expectations in check and, complete lack of originality aside, "Episodes" made me laugh and appreciate the freedom of cable premium cable comedies to be both naughty and a little bit smart. I'll be waiting next year to see how "Pucks!" does in its first rookie season, and the crazy that will bring on Sean and Bev's rocky marriage.
Dream On is certainly a stab from the past. I loved that show and noted that Crane was heavily involved in this one. Anyway, Episodes had something strong in each episode and 3 or 4 that were hilarious depending on my mood. I'm looking for more.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #87 of 147 Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TV Notes
Showtime Sets Premiere Dates For Weeds' & Episodes'

The premium cable network announced today that the Season 8 premiere of Weeds and the second-season bow of Episodes are set for Sunday, July 1, 2012.

Weeds will feature 13 half-hour episodes and is in the 10 PM slot, while Episodes, starring current Golden Globe winner Matt LeBlanc, shot nine half-hour episodes and will follow at 10:30.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/show...es-tv-schedul/
post #88 of 147 Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe LeBlanc won an award for this...

post #89 of 147 Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a heads up, the season opener is tonight.

I really enjoyed the supporting cast. Can't wait for its return!

Definitely a unique show that could be more popular. Under rated.
See y'all at the premier! ha biggrin.gif
post #90 of 147 Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I don't know how I didn't connect with this last year. I know I checked in a few times. But this episode got me, I enjoyed it a lot, made me laugh out loud multiple times. Course, Joey always made me laugh ...

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page