post #181 of 602 Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Besides the arsenic capsules, found the 747-brewed chelation treatment to remove arsenic from the blood, sloshing all kinds of junk into a pitcher, a comical stretch--even while SF 'stretches' might be reasonable.

SF or not, opening the flooring of a 747 and grabbing and pulling on wires, then cutting an orange tube filled with liquid without knowing what its purpose is, is Saturday morning TV. Actually, you don't even need to know what its purpose is; if it's on an airplane it has a purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 602 Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

SF or not, opening the flooring of a 747 and grabbing and pulling on wires, then cutting an orange tube filled with liquid without knowing what its purpose is, is Saturday morning TV. Actually, you don't even need to know what its purpose is; if it's on an airplane it has a purpose.

And this is just as realistic as everyone on earth not being able to die.

i don't see the problem.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #183 of 602 Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

And this is just as realistic as everyone on earth not being able to die.

I can accept that because it's this season's story arc. Just because I accept that doesn't mean that I believe that, anything goes. I think those are two are completely different things. YMMV.
post #184 of 602 Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I can accept that because it's this season's story arc. Just because I accept that doesn't mean that I believe that, anything goes. I think those are two are completely different things. YMMV.

Well said.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #185 of 602 Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I wonder if the Dichen Lachman character will continue, zombie-like with her head not being able to be straight... neck brace or head turned backwards perhaps?

Here come the "zombies" episode 3..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #186 of 602 Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

There were some funny moments this past week, including that one. I also had to lol every time they zinged the gay flight attendant and he denied it.
post #187 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 200
The whole scene in the airplane when she was trying to get the ingredients was excellent. Had me laughing out loud.

Solid second episode. How many episodes are we getting for this season?

post #188 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The whole scene in the airplane when she was trying to get the ingredients was excellent. Had me laughing out loud.

Solid second episode. How many episodes are we getting for this season?

I've seen the number "10" thrown around concerning episodes for "Miracle Day."

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #189 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Definitely 10. Just worked on it last week.
post #190 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Maybe going against the crowd here, but I am very disappointed in the direction the show has taken this year. I was worried when I heard an American crew was taking over, and I am afraid those fears haven't waned.

There are a bunch of things that bug me, but the biggest is that the CIA seems to have zero knowledge of the events of Children of Earth, as the idea that the Miracle could be an Alien event gets laughed off. Tell me if I am wrong, but the events of Children of Earth were global, and they even had an Obama stand in briefing the press. So are we supposed to accept that the CIA now has no knowledge of it?

To me, this should have either been a complete reboot, or move on from established story lines. I will keep watching because I love the Whoverse, but I am not happy with the way this has turned out so far.
post #191 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
At least they suspect someone or something is using the humans as germ carriers, for some unknown reason, I suspect aliens needed those germs for their survival..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #192 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

There are a bunch of things that bug me, but the biggest is that the CIA seems to have zero knowledge of the events of Children of Earth, as the idea that the Miracle could be an Alien event gets laughed off. Tell me if I am wrong, but the events of Children of Earth were global, and they even had an Obama stand in briefing the press. So are we supposed to accept that the CIA now has no knowledge of it?

This seems to me pretty consistent with the Whoverse. They've even poked fun at that fact that the people of London don't seem to remember the many various invasions, to the point where they had to retcon a reason for all that selective amnesia in a recent season just to keep it from being ridiculous.

I thought the second episode was pretty solid. A little too much time spent McGyvering the poison antidote, but what the heck, it was still entertaining.

I think your fears about it being an American co-production are unwarranted. All the key creatives of the franchise are firmly in place. With one exception. They aren't using the same visual effects company, and it shows. The VFX are a bit sub-standard. So far I haven't seen a CG element that looked real, and the 'Death Becomes Her' effect was pretty weak - her head was out of scale. The Mill (who did the UK version of Torchwood) is one of the best VFX houses in the world, and let's just say these guys doing Miricle Day aren't. So far, that's really the only down side I've seen from Starz's involvement. They went cheap on effects because the standards are really low on that network.
post #193 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's a Tv show. it's rare for any of the special effects to look real since the money isn't there for the time to make it look close to real. Torchwood effects in the previous seasons never looked real in HD. Although if it was watched in SD it may have.

LED DLP

post #194 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a Tv show. it's rare for any of the special effects to look real since the money isn't there for the time to make it look close to real. Torchwood effects in the previous seasons never looked real in HD. Although if it was watched in SD it may have.

For the record, yes, TV effects can and do look real, if they are done right, and by people who know what they are doing. You don't get that going for the cheapest bid. The reason most TV effects look bad isn't because they don't have enough time or money, it's because the studios know that the audience will accept crap, and so studios force producers to work with the cheapest bid, or whatever company happens to be located in a town where they can get a tax credit. Show producers, to theircredit, usually fight for better, but most of them lose that fight. That's what happened in the case of Torchwood. They guys doing the effects were not the producer's choice.

Look no further than Boardwalk Empire and The Borgias, to see photo-realistic effects done right.
post #195 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
For the record, yes, TV effects can and do look real, if they are done right, and by people who know what they are doing. You don't get that going for the cheapest bid. The reason most TV effects look bad isn't because they don't have enough time or money, it's because the studios know that the audience will accept crap, and so studios force producers to work with the cheapest bid, or whatever company happens to be located in a town where they can get a tax credit. Show producers, to theircredit, usually fight for better, but most of them lose that fight. That's what happened in the case of Torchwood. They guys doing the effects were not the producer's choice.

Look no further than Boardwalk Empire and The Borgias, to see photo-realistic effects done right.

I'll need to check those out then to see what you mean. Since going HD ten years ago it's usually been pretty obvious on TV shows when effects were used for a large portion of the scene.

LED DLP

post #196 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post
But the CIA does have knowledge of it... they had the "456 files" and other Torchwood documents that Jack was going around and destroying. He was also "retconning" people... so it is perfectly reasonable to assume that Jack was going around and anyone he knew with specific knowledge of Torchwood and those events was wiped of those memories.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #197 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

that would be a lot of kool aid...

post #198 of 602 Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll need to check those out then to see what you mean. Since going HD ten years ago it's usually been pretty obvious on TV shows when effects were used for a large portion of the scene.

You'd be surprised at just how many effects you saw that you didn't realize were digital effects.

The new Torchwood has some good work, like the exploding helicopter from episode 1. But mostly it's pretty mediocre.
post #199 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

You'd be surprised at just how many effects you saw that you didn't realize were digital effects.

The new Torchwood has some good work, like the exploding helicopter from episode 1. But mostly it's pretty mediocre.

Yep. The whole series just feels cheap. The real sets also feel a bit cut-price, not just the effects. It's a real shame.

There is something odd with the post-route for the UK version. There is motion artefacting all over the place. It almost feels like a 60i to 50i or 24p to 25p standards conversion (done badly) not a 24p to 25p speed-up or native 25p production.

Very sad - particularly when compared to the recent Doctor Who stuff which has looked very clean indeed in video terms.
post #200 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Yep. The whole series just feels cheap. The real sets also feel a bit cut-price, not just the effects. It's a real shame.
I though it was really odd that they were using Los Angeles City Hall as a hospital location...I kept thinking, what's with all the big marble columns at the hospital foyer? And the place where PR lady chats up the doctor near the end is usually used as a location for staging government press conferences and the like. Then I remembered City Hall is a relatively cheap and easy place to shoot.
post #201 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Funny story...we've been watching S1 concurrently through NF. My wifes's become quite a fan, so much, that she was searching background of John Barrowman on her phone while watching. She's finding tidbits about her new favorite prettyface, when I tell her,

"you know, JB was a finalist for the lead in Will and Grace and was quite incensed when they told him he wasn't gay enough, then cast a straight man."

"He's gay "

"Out and proud"

Talk about a bubble bursting. I get a big kick out of him as Capt. Jack and don't care, but her little hookup fantasy just got quoshed. Boohoo, so just to be fair, I had to tell her about Amber Heard .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #202 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really not happy the way Torchwood is going
post #203 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzack View Post

Yeah, me too. But I still have hope.

post #204 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzack View Post

I'm enjoying it. I'm glad there is another season. I really enjoyed the first two seasons when they originally aired on HDNet and also enjoyed Children of Earth. Although I had to purchase that since FiOS didn't have BBCA in HD.
And I was thrilled when Starz announced Season 4.
And the change to US also adds a nice change as well. I figured Season 3 was it, so I have no complaints. I'll continue watching it in realtime when they air on Friday.

It reminds me of 2002 when I watched Odyssey 5 in HD live every Friday night from DirecTV since I could only record HD from OTA at the time. it's extremely rare for me to watch anything live. But Torchwood is a show I really enjoy and so far Miracle Day has been no exception.

LED DLP

post #205 of 602 Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 136
We're really enjoying it, but then we have always enjoyed Torchwood.

I know Torchwood and Doctor Who aren't for everyone, but for those of us who do like it, it's awesome.
post #206 of 602 Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Yeah, me too. But I still have hope.

I'm still liking it. Lot's of little jokes that one might miss on the first viewing.

Mini's in US vs. the the big honkin' SUV's that TW used in Cardiff, for example.

... Newman!!! ...
post #207 of 602 Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I finally got to episode 2 last night. Again, I haven't watched Torchwood in the past, so I can't comment on this season vs. previous ones. However, I'm thinking I might not make it to episode 10. It's kind of enjoyable, but the acting is awkward (especially Mekhi - didn't he used to be good?), the plot holes are enormous, and while the humorous bits are slightly funny, they usually seem forced. I'll try to stick with it for a while, but my DVR is backing up, w/ Breaking Bad, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Warehouse 13.

I must say that Dichen Lachman's unique face was stunning in HD. There was one extreme closeup that lingered on her odd (but attractive) features and perfect skin. Too bad her character wasn't more interesting.

Doug
post #208 of 602 Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I must say that Dichen Lachman's unique face was stunning in HD.

She has that Alien look to her that we like.
post #209 of 602 Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I miss 'Dollhouse'. Dichen was very good in a prominent role.
post #210 of 602 Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I miss 'Dollhouse'. Dichen was very good in a prominent role.

+1

like Firefly, a very under-appreciated series, especially season 2

Steve
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page