post #31 of 40 Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Mmmmm... as I recall, Boise St. beat TCU last year in a large bowl game..... Mind you, I am not a fan of BS but they seem to be able to play at a pretty good level when it presents itself....

TCU was last year. The lost to Nevada *this* year. And that is with most of their seniors coming back this year.

A few years ago it was Fresno State, a couple of years ago it was Hawaii, last year it was Utah. This year Boise and TCU. Next year it will be another school crying and stamping their feet like little girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I'm with Tom, a +1 game is about all we can realistically hope for at this point. That and maybe some way to switch out an AQ conference that sucks for one that doesn't (i.e. the Big Least for anyone else), or an annual way to sub in an at-large team for a crappy AQ winner like UConn.

Nothing can happen until 2014 anyway, when the current BCS contract expires. Of course, it could be renewed for another 4 years or so before then, meaning business as usual for a long time.

An easy way to keep crappy AQ conference winners out of the BCS bowls is to require that they be ranked in at least the top 25 first (top 20 even better). No more free ride, you have to earn your AQ ticket. If not, then a more deserving team gets to go in your place.

Logistically, there's just no way a regular 16-team playoff can be instituted in 1-A football, no matter how much money Mark Cuban waves around. 1-AA, Div 2 and 3 can do it because they have shorter regular seasons, and as I said earlier, they frankly don't matter, no one cares about the lesser divisions. This is Division 1 football (Dan Hawkins even said so! ), the bowl system is too entrenched, the schools and conferences will not accept a shorter regular season (more home games=more $$$$$$$$), and you can't expect college kids to play 16 games, this isn't the NFL.

I have an idea for a fancier +1 system: Take the top 16 ranked teams and "group seed" in in eight bowls, i.e. #1 plays #4 in one game, #2 plays #3, #5 plays #8, #6 plays #7, and so on. After all the games, do an updated poll, then take the new top 2 to play in the championship. The 1-4 and 2-3 games act like a potential semifinal (with the possibility of a lower-ranked team jumping up), and the other pairings should result in better matchups for their respective bowls.
post #33 of 40 Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Watching the Military Bowl on ESPN HD and I must say the field looks like crap. And that is not a knock on the pq of the game. I'm guessing since RFK Stadium is so underutilized they really only maintain the field in when the MLS DC United soccer yeam plays. PQ on ESPN HD itself looks fine.

And the FOUL!
post #34 of 40 Old 12-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Watching the Military Bowl on ESPN HD and I must say the field looks like crap. And that is not a knock on the pq of the game. I'm guessing since RFK Stadium is so underutilized they really only maintain the field in when the MLS DC United soccer yeam plays. PQ on ESPN HD itself looks fine.

I think a lot of it has to do with antiquated drainage/irrigation system, and the lack of sunlight due to the fact that it's a completely enclosed stadium. And up until the last week or so, we had a prolonged period of below-freezing temps here, which I assume made it difficult to do much maintenance on the turf. I went to dozens of Nationals games during the four seasons they spent there, and by mid-summer, the playing surface would look almost as bad as it did yesterday for the football game.
post #35 of 40 Old 12-30-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
What was so bad about the field, that it was brown in spots? Most likely from the Bermuda grass going dormant and losing its color as it does in the winter. I didn't see any divots come up in the highlights package.
post #36 of 40 Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

What was so bad about the field, that it was brown in spots? Most likely from the Bermuda grass going dormant and losing its color as it does in the winter. I didn't see any divots come up in the highlights package.

And that still doesn't compare to Orlando's/UCF's stadium that hosts the citrus/Champ Sports Bowl field last year. I see they upgraded to field turf which seems sacrilegious in Florida with their well maintained. grass fields. Yankee Stadium's field seems to have held up alright.

Overall the pq for the games has been good for ESPN. It seems it has improved since last year specifically in regards to the main 50 yard line cameras.
post #37 of 40 Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Agreed, the main cams have always been their weak spot and the wide shots look a lot better from them now.
post #38 of 40 Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I don't know... the Meineke Car Care Bowl (Clemson/USF) looked terrible on ESPN today and the Liberty Bowl (Georgia/UCF) doesn't look much better...

Hopefully the Chic-Fil-A Bowl will look better since it is the 'main event' bowl game for today at 7:30pm

BTW - watching on Dish Network here in JAX, FL

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #39 of 40 Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The SEC really took it to the Big Ten today.
post #40 of 40 Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So what have we learned about the bowl games so far?

1. It's ridiculous that the teams have over a month off after the season ends. Most of these games are painful to watch in the first half because the teams are all so rusty.

2. It's nice to have ESPN doing the BCS games. It's better to have announcers who do college games all season also doing the major bowls. Fox dropping into the BCS after not doing college all season was dumb.

3. Has there been one interesting matchup before the New Years Day games? I didn't think so either.

4. TCU has proven they can keep up with the cream of the Big Ten. Too bad the Big Ten is so horrible. If they played Alabama last night they would been demolished.

5. Gee, Ohio State on Tuesday. Another Big Ten game!

6. As a Georgia fan, I'm glad they lost. Hopefully they'll finally fire Mark Richt.

7. The top teams of the SEC are still the best in the nation, till somebody proves otherwise.

8. Please stop complaining about the BCS. The system was worse before and the BCS is doing what it was designed to do- pick an undisputed national champion. The +1 game is a great idea, but there is still too much going against it. Most major conferences do not want to add another game to the schedule and the major bowls do not want any further dilution of their historical importance. Even if no one else cares. There's only one thing that might change their minds. LOTS and LOTS of money.

Comments?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page