post #271 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's only a ten episode run so this season isn't going anywhere. I can't think of a single show that TNT has pulled mid-season.

And they are already underway with season two, so it will more than likely be back.

No they hired a show runner for season 2, but in the article that announced it they said IF there is a season 2. It has not been renewed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It's still just a so-so scifi show for me, but it beats the living h.ll out of watching reality TV. I'll keep watching.
post #273 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Enjoyed this episode. Not sure why so many people still post here that apparently hate the show. If you hate it, why are you still watching it and posting?
Because many of us like giving shows a few episodes before bailing on them? Plus there's a significant dearth of scifi on tv, so we're willing to give it an even longer leash in the hopes that it gets better.

That being said, this show pretty bad. It's horribly written (others have already given several examples) and it contains some of the most laughable dialogue I've heard recently. Some of the acting is pretty laughable as well. When the son met back up with the dad after he saw the kids die, I just about burst out laughing during his "tearful" scene. Just cheesy as hell.

I'm trying to give it a long rope, but unless I see some drastic changes next episode (which I doubt), I'm out. Maybe I'll go re-watch BSG or something.
post #274 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
They might as well have named Noah's kid Boxey because he's just about as annoying as that kid from the 70's BSG series
I couldn't possibly disagree any more.

The youngest song seems to be the only one in that family with any sense of reality. Far from annoying, unlike so many kids in other shows, he acts like...a kid. He's resilient and seeking out ways for things to be normal, yet there's that bit of a sense of being shell shocked by it all. He seems to have just the right amount of acceptance of his situation combined with the normal wants and needs of a kid. He wants to celebrate his birthday, yet accepts it when he can't. He wants his Dad to be safe, yet understands and supports that he has to go out and bring back his brother. He's hanging tough, yet scared out of his mind.

He's far and away a better character than the chirpy Boxey on BSG - a character that could have benefited from a quick trip out an airlock.

In fact, I'd say Maxim Knight's character is one of the few redeeming things that keep me coming back. He actually gives Noah Wyle credibility in those scenes with him.
post #275 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
So went from 5.9 million to 4.2. Big big drop. Probably will see that trend continue.
Still a big increase from the show that aired before it.
Plus DVR usage is not available for several weeks.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #276 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
I think people are trashing Falling Skies way too early and need to give the show time ..
I think Falling Skies has potential and I don't understand why people are already predicting its demise considering it has only aired three episodes and the last episode was fast paced and interesting !
I like the show and it has become a must see show for me ..
post #277 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

I think people are trashing Falling Skies way too early and need to give the show time ...

But is the "cool, in-crowd thing to do." Let the too-cool-for-school crowd have their fun.
post #278 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
No live plus 3 numbers yet for the second week but the first week:

" In Live + 3 delivery, the series premiere of Falling Skies grew its audience to more than 7.5 million viewers (+27% over Live + Same Day), 3.6 million adults 18-49 (+35% vs. L+SD) and 4.2 million adults 25-54 (+30% vs. L+SD). In addition, Falling Skies’ delivery of adults 18-34 grew an exceptional 53% to 1.2 million, while men 18-49 grew 37% to 2.1 million."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...omment-page-4/

Argee
post #279 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

No live plus 3 numbers yet for the second week but the first week:

" In Live + 3 delivery, the series premiere of Falling Skies grew its audience to more than 7.5 million viewers (+27% over Live + Same Day), 3.6 million adults 18-49 (+35% vs. L+SD) and 4.2 million adults 25-54 (+30% vs. L+SD). In addition, Falling Skies' delivery of adults 18-34 grew an exceptional 53% to 1.2 million, while men 18-49 grew 37% to 2.1 million."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...omment-page-4/

Hey cool news Thanks Argee for posting this Impressive
post #280 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

But is the "cool, in-crowd thing to do." Let the too-cool-for-school crowd have their fun.

We're too-cool-for-school because we wanted an intelligently written show and were instead given something on the level of Battlefield Earth: The Series?

Maybe my expectations were too high (I don't think that could be since I wasn't expecting much in the first place), but I certainly wasn't expecting pure drivel.
post #281 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

We're too-cool-for-school because we wanted an intelligently written show and were instead given something on the level of Battlefield Earth: The Series?

Maybe my expectations were too high (I don't think that could be since I wasn't expecting much in the first place), but I certainly wasn't expecting pure drivel.

Well ...

1) I'm not sure that there's anything new (or intelligent) to add to this particular sub-genre.

2) It's summer ... it's time to give the grey-matter some downtime.

3) What's so bad about cheezy anyway? ... relax, enjoy a beverage, perhaps some popcorn ...
post #282 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The "too-cool" crowd never admits to watching sci-fi.
post #283 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well ...

1) I'm not sure that there's anything new (or intelligent) to add to this particular sub-genre.

The problem is, this is a retread series. Everything we're seeing here has been done before.

There's so much great scifi history to draw from out there, why draw from crap? If you're going to recycle, at least recycle the best stuff. From "When the Earth Stood Still and the original "War of the Worlds" to "Invaders from Mars", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Alien", we have a lot of stuff out there to emulate. Why emulate "Starship Troopers" and "Battlefield Earth"?

It's like cooking a steak, eating the fat and throwing the meat away.

Quote:

The problem is, there's a lot of grey matter down time during the Fall and Spring with all the reality shows that also retread each other. If we can't even have something compelling during the summer, then when?

Quote:

3) What's so bad about cheezy anyway? ... relax, enjoy a beverage, perhaps some popcorn ...

The problem is, everything seems to be done this way now. It's like we aren't allowed to have anything intelligent out there.

Look, I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but it seems like they're going out of there way to have the characters be dumb-a$$es here. If they could avoid those silly scenes (like dear old dad spoiling a mission and putting everyone in jeopardy by yelling out to his zombie son, compromising the mission for a freaking dog, hunkering down in a school and not even covering over the windows - then burning candles next to them to boot and bringing back a live alien to your base and leaving it in a cage without security), the show would be a lot tighter.

Is that too much to ask?

I really want this show to work for me. I like scifi. However, it's testing my patience.
post #284 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The problem is, this is a retread series. Everything we're seeing here has been done before.

There's so much great scifi history to draw from out there, why draw from crap? If you're going to recycle, at least recycle the best stuff. From "When the Earth Stood Still and the original "War of the Worlds" to "Invaders from Mars", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Alien", we have a lot of stuff out there to emulate. Why emulate "Starship Troopers" and "Battlefield Earth"?

It's like cooking a steak, eating the fat and throwing the meat away.

The problem is, there's a lot of grey matter down time during the Fall and Spring with all the reality shows that also retread each other. If we can't even have something compelling during the summer, then when?

The problem is, everything seems to be done this way now. It's like we aren't allowed to have anything intelligent out there.

Look, I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but it seems like they're going out of there way to have the characters be dumb-a$$es here. If they could avoid those silly scenes (like dear old dad spoiling a mission and putting everyone in jeopardy by yelling out to his zombie son, compromising the mission for a freaking dog, hunkering down in a school and not even covering over the windows - then burning candles next to them to boot and bringing back a live alien to your base and leaving it in a cage without security), the show would be a lot tighter.

Is that too much to ask?

I really want this show to work for me. I like scifi. However, it's testing my patience.

THat is the real world, people for the most part act dumb under stressful situations. I can remember dozens of dumbass behavior when I was in the military in training and real world. I actually like Starship troopers and Battlefield earth better then the 4 movies that you listed that you like. Different strokes for different folks. I just can't wait for people that don't like it, don't watch it and stop posting. Just enjoy what you like and don't put down what other people like. It's not fun.
post #285 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

THat is the real world, people for the most part act dumb under stressful situations. I can remember dozens of dumbass behavior when I was in the military in training and real world. I actually like Starship troopers and Battlefield earth better then the 4 movies that you listed that you like. Different strokes for different folks. I just can't wait for people that don't like it, don't watch it and stop posting. Just enjoy what you like and don't put down what other people like. It's not fun.

Give me a frigging break. So it's like it or don't let the door hit you in the butt?

I'm not allowed to give it a few episodes to see if it improves?

Do you quit every job where you're unhappy about something, or do you speak to your boss about it?

Look, I've like an awful lot of stuff Spielberg has had his hands in. For that reason, I expect more from something he's involved with.

Right now, this series is like getting a bad meal at a restaurant I've enjoyed eating at for many years. That gives me three choices:

1) I can chalk it up to a bad day, write off that one meal and continue eating there - and even have that dish again. In other words, stick out the series a bit longer and see if they pull things together. It may just be the cook wasn't paying close enough attention to my crab cakes. They might be better in a couple weeks.

2) I can keep going to the restaurant, but avoid the dish that I didn't enjoy. That means, I bail on the show, but I'll continue to view his other work in the future.

3) I stop going to the restaurant. In other words, I give up on Spielberg and assume he's lost his touch.

Two episodes in is not enough time to decide anything. However, to say I can't say anything about what I dislike is silly. Why have these discussions if only glowing reviews are allowed? If everyone agrees, why even bother posting at all? It's like having a debate team where you can only take one side.

It's one thing to tell someone to shove off if they gripe and complain over an entire season - or worse, an entire series. It's a far different thing to expect people to pull the trigger after just a couple episodes. Heck, there are those that were saying people should bugger off after the pilot. Seriously? The pilot? How often do things change dramatically from pilot to second episode? A lot, I'll tell you. That's why it's silly to bail after one episode.

Heck, if I had seen the unaired pilot to the Dick Van Dyke show before the rest of the series, I would have been just as unhappy. Yet, the show as it eventually aired was great.

So how about laying off me while I figure out if I'm going to stick around, huh?
post #286 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't mean to offend anybody, I'm just tired of the negativity. I want people to start talking about the cliffhangers, possible situations, curiosity of certain characters or enemies, people that they are rooting for or not. IMO there is just to much talk on how bad or good the series is. To each is own.
post #287 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't mean to offend anybody, I'm just tired of the negativity. I want people to start talking about the cliffhangers, possible situations, curiosity of certain characters or enemies, people that they are rooting for or not. IMO there is just to much talk on how bad or good the series is. To each is own.

My issue is the following:

1) There are 300 people in this group. These guys going out on these missions are supposed to be the best of those. They're essentially an elite commando force at this point. Why would they be selected otherwise? Twice now, we've seen them reveal their positions unnecessarily. Even the kid was stupid after painting him as all business earlier. Now, how many of those folks that did dumb things under pressure ended up as what amounts to be a Green Beret or a Navy Seal? That's what these guys are at this point, even if they didn't get the full press training regimen.

2) Wyle's character is well versed on military history, right? Right? So, why would he ever consider bring back an alien to the base where 300 people are hiding out? Did he forget the Trojan Horse? Surely he heard about that Moses guy at some point. Oh, and wasn't he ready to bring Pope into the fold, too? After everything, he should now be well aware the guy is cooking for them and might be aware of the death of his brother. Perhaps Caesar and Brutus or Cain and Abel might be good stories to bone up on. Heck, maybe the techniques of the revolutionaries vs. the tendency of the Red Coats to march about in straight line formations might trigger a thought to encourage the ranks to travel under cover and...perhaps by night?

3) OK, so now we have a kid who recently had a biological organism that controlled him by remote control just removed and an alien with the capacity to control him now in the same building. Aside from how bad an idea that is, shouldn't someone be at least guarding them both? Maybe the alien should be locked up in the cafeteria walk-in cooler (since the electricity is down anyway) rather than some random room with a welded on gate. You know, then you put a lot more metal between it and anyone it might want to phone out to.

4) At the very least, could they keep people more or less in areas without windows - like the gym, locker rooms, the auditorium and such? Then perhaps (and just a suggestion here) they could cover the windows to hide the fact that they are camped out there from the random passing alien patrol?

5) Now, this may be coming, but the subject of food has come up more than once. They are now at what appears to be a base camp for the duration. How about at least a throwaway line like "rations will be tight until the stuff we planted starts growing". Come on. Nobody in the group gardens? Geez. I don't have space for a garden, but I've got tomatoes growing on my back deck in a big planter.

Now, I will say one thing to defend the show here, and it's about the scrap metal collection thing.

My theory is, the aliens don't need it. They don't want it.

What they want is to take away every piece of easy to run off with material that the rebels could use against them to make weapons. That's why they ignore the cars and other large metal objects. Those can't be moved as easily since they can't be started.

However, the rebels could steal some piping and make bombs. Conduit with wire in it could be used to distribute power from generators. Copper or aluminum pipes could be used to distill clean water or make alcohol to make fire bombs - or use as fuel. Lead materials could be melted down to make bullets. Brass can be used to make the caps for them. Nails and cans can make grenades. Sheet metal can be layered to make armor.

It's smart of them to remove it.
post #288 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL ... seems like I was just saying the same thing about "Game of Thrones" ... and viciously attacked for the effort.

Humans ... we're a mysterious bunch sometimes.
post #289 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Enjoyed this episode. Not sure why so many people still post here that apparently hate the show. If you hate it, why are you still watching it and posting?

Because it's summer and not a lot of other SF to watch and the hope that FS will get better.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #290 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
This is one of the most negative threads I've read in a while, but with good reason.

NetworkTV just outlined some of the gaping plot holes. I'd be more inclined to accept what is shown if this was a 1950's sci-fi movie, but it's done under the auspices of one of the most respected film makers of our time - not good. They hired a decent cast, not A list but all have done respectable work and are not exactly cheap. They do not seem to be skimping o n the special effects, while not outstanding and movie grade, they are more than adequate for a summer TV show.

So, lets look. We have a highly respected film maker involved, money spend on special effects, money spent on a decent cast, yet the writing to put it bluntly sucks. At some point someone should have looked at the budget and shifted a few more $$ to the writing staff and hired some talent. That is plainly where this show is failing badly.

Does anyone honestly believe the Noah or Tom could actually drag that alien across what, half the town, after being brutally attacked? Seriously? And again they could not find a better place to put the alien than an equipment cage? Really?

Someday the networks will wake up and realize that writing is the key to a successful show.
post #291 of 2301 Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Someday the networks will wake up and realize that writing is the key to a successful show.

Even more than that, it's good dialog along with plausible interaction between the characters, without resorting to cliches.

One series that is a polar opposite to this show in quality, yet few people out there in the audience bothers to watch, is Supernatural on the CW.

Supernatural could easily be a bad monster of the week series, but instead, you have great dialog and storytelling that really engages you. Plus, where most programs about people hunting demons and vampires could resort to angst filled scenes of "woe is me" attitude, Supernatural is actually a very funny show.

Falling skies could easily be what the original "V" should have been and the new "V" tried to be, but seems to be failing at.

It's not like it's impossible to make a well researched show that (despite the subject matter) is plausible. There's all kinds of alien lore out there to choose from. There are also plenty of military and former military folks who could - and would - bring a realistic mindset of how stuff would go down if this premise were to occur.

It just disappoints me that we can have a well crafted (and well respected) show like Mad Men, but so many other shows feel like no research was done at all.

Personally, I think they would have been better off taking the "Walking Dead" approach and sticking to a small band of survivors, each person in the group with a useful skill: The cook, the gardener, the hunter, the military guy, the scavenger, the navigator, the fix it guy, the wilderness expert, the doctor and maybe a few kids for good measure. At least that way, we meet everyone and care about them. We can get their backstories as the episodes progress, much like Lost, but without all the useless voodoo.

Then, instead of harnessed kids, maybe run with the "V" method of having sympathizers who survive by siding with the aliens.

With a trimmed down cast, spend some money and make it into a "road show" where they all travel together, keeping one step ahead of the aliens, while fighting back. I can hear the battle cry of "Wolverines!" already. Come to think of it, "Red Dawn" with aliens might be workable.
post #292 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

That's because this is another show that falls foul of the audience acceptance factor.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20141468

It's not fun enough for people to willingly ignore bad plot logic and it's not smart enough to tie all it's inconsistencies together.

You see it all the time. If the producers and writers don't dot the I's and cross the ET's when trying to make a dramatic show then the audience will always see the flaws.

If you don't have the time or effort to make the narrative fulfill the audience expectations then aim for the funny bone and just give them a good, rousing action adventure instead. If people are laughing and cheering then they don't care that much if something doesn't make sense.

post #293 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

I think a lot of people generally underestimate just how many mental casualties would be inflicted by an alien attack. I suspect a decent portion of the human population would just emotionally shutdown from shock. An alien invasion and the resulting human extermination is something that our relatively bloodless society is not equiped to deal with.

How many people commited sucide in 1939 right after Wells broadcast of War of the Worlds radio broadcast?

Anyway, an alien invation is least of our worries. If gamma rays from WR104 destroy the ozone layer all life on this planet is history. Maylans calendar stops 12/21/2012.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #294 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post

How many people commited sucide in 1939 right after Wells broadcast of War of the Worlds radio broadcast?

Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Most panicked people called the police or the stations to ask what was going on. Some people did get frightened when overloaded telephone lines stopped working, but most reports of widespread panic were found to be overstated.

Quote:

Anyway, an alien invation is least of our worries. If gamma rays from WR104 destroy the ozone layer all life on this planet is history. Maylans calendar stops 12/21/2012.

...and most computers weren't equipped to properly tell the date beyond 1999.

I also don't know anyone that was raptured recently, either - and I work in TV. You'd think at least some of us would be zapped for our role in creating that vast wasteland and shows like "Cop Rock" and "The Chevy Chase Show".

The fact is, you have two scenarios that would occur if something like this happens:

1) You have a 9-11 NYC situation where everyone pulls together to support each other and everyone starts out gung ho to fight back.

2) You have a New Orleans hurricane situation where the city practically tears itself apart as looting, rioting and a "save me" attitude takes hold.

I'm pretty sure that the people who go out looting right off the bat would get decimated, leaving a lot of stuff for those that hunker down together and help each other retrieve what's left. So, along with those loners that had supplies and a place to hide to start with, the survivors would be the ones that work together the best while staying invisible.
post #295 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Even more than that, it's good dialog along with plausible interaction between the characters, without resorting to cliches.

One series that is a polar opposite to this show in quality, yet few people out there in the audience bothers to watch, is Supernatural on the CW.

Supernatural could easily be a bad monster of the week series, but instead, you have great dialog and storytelling that really engages you. Plus, where most programs about people hunting demons and vampires could resort to angst filled scenes of "woe is me" attitude, Supernatural is actually a very funny show.

Falling skies could easily be what the original "V" should have been and the new "V" tried to be, but seems to be failing at.

It's not like it's impossible to make a well researched show that (despite the subject matter) is plausible. There's all kinds of alien lore out there to choose from. There are also plenty of military and former military folks who could - and would - bring a realistic mindset of how stuff would go down if this premise were to occur.

It just disappoints me that we can have a well crafted (and well respected) show like Mad Men, but so many other shows feel like no research was done at all.

Personally, I think they would have been better off taking the "Walking Dead" approach and sticking to a small band of survivors, each person in the group with a useful skill: The cook, the gardener, the hunter, the military guy, the scavenger, the navigator, the fix it guy, the wilderness expert, the doctor and maybe a few kids for good measure. At least that way, we meet everyone and care about them. We can get their backstories as the episodes progress, much like Lost, but without all the useless voodoo.

Then, instead of harnessed kids, maybe run with the "V" method of having sympathizers who survive by siding with the aliens.

With a trimmed down cast, spend some money and make it into a "road show" where they all travel together, keeping one step ahead of the aliens, while fighting back. I can hear the battle cry of "Wolverines!" already. Come to think of it, "Red Dawn" with aliens might be workable.

You need to have your people call Spielberg's people b/c I could watch the show you just outlined. I like the idea of this small specialized band leading the resistance.
post #296 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Anyone here think that Steven Spielberg looked at the episodes already produced and proclaimed... "great, great, that's great boys... keep up the good work"?

He's got more on the line here than anyone else- reputation wise anyway.

Wonder how many episodes have actually been completed through post-production?

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #297 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone here think that Steven Spielberg (while distracted by helping JJ Abrams add lens flares to Super 8) looked at the episodes already produced and proclaimed... "great, great, that's great boys... keep up the good work"?

Just thought I'd help you out there...
post #298 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Most panicked people called the police or the stations to ask what was going on. Some people did get frightened when overloaded telephone lines stopped working, but most reports of widespread panic were found to be overstated.

...and most computers weren't equipped to properly tell the date beyond 1999.

I also don't know anyone that was raptured recently, either - and I work in TV. You'd think at least some of us would be zapped for our role in creating that vast wasteland and shows like "Cop Rock" and "The Chevy Chase Show".

The fact is, you have two scenarios that would occur if something like this happens:

1) You have a 9-11 NYC situation where everyone pulls together to support each other and everyone starts out gung ho to fight back.

2) You have a New Orleans hurricane situation where the city practically tears itself apart as looting, rioting and a "save me" attitude takes hold.

I'm pretty sure that the people who go out looting right off the bat would get decimated, leaving a lot of stuff for those that hunker down together and help each other retrieve what's left. So, along with those loners that had supplies and a place to hide to start with, the survivors would be the ones that work together the best while staying invisible.

I want to believe that group 1 would have the best chance at survival but I just can't bring myself to fully get on board with that notion. Something tells me that the most selfish and opportunistic survivors from group 2 would have the best chance. I think there's a reason that human nature has not fully integrated compassion into our genetic make-up. And that reason is that in a crisis, selfishness (to a degree) is the better survival tactic. Why share shelter and food stockpiles with a bunch of complete strangers if I can horde them for my closest friends and family? Sounds terrible, I know but it offers the best chance of survival for those I have invested in and those that have invested in me. Just know that if aliens ever attack you're welcome at my place but to increase the odds that I let y'all in, I recommend you have a useable skill. I.e. - can you get a blueray player working during a blackout? Can you hear the difference between lamp cord and cryogenically treated speaker wires? And can you acoustically treat my theater so that I don't hear the sound of mechs stomping down the street outside while I'm trying to watch a movie? These are all important skills!

As for the separate question of how many people died during Wells broadcast. None to my knowledge. However 1930's USA was a lot tougher place than 2011 USA. How many kids today really understand that their chicken nuggets come from a slaughtered bird? How many have ever seen their lunch processed? What were firearm ownership levels then vs now? How many people in the 30's had witnessed a hanging? My son pointed his finger like a gun at another child this past year (they were playing transformers) and he got a letter sent home from school. Boy was I pissed but I digress. People are not as accepting or aclimated to violence as they once were. JMO

Someone suggested we move toward talking about possible upcoming developments and "positive" show details so here goes:

- I don't think Wyle's son will be rescued this season. If he's somehow rescued I see the boy becoming a 7 of 9 type character. They may remove the harness but I don't think they'll successfully remove all of the alien influence from him.

- Wyle and Moon Bloodgood need to go ahead an comfort each other,... sexually.

- Any chance the show is setting up a love triangle between Wyle, Moon and the blonde warrior chic?

- Does Wyle's oldest son develop a thing for the brunette girl while his blonde is imprisoned? Could be kinda awkward if she manages to escape.

- How long till the rebels realize they can simply kneecap the skitters to take them down? Is Wyle gonna share that valuable piece of info any time soon?

- As alluded to earlier, the show is going to need to address the food situation soon. Running a 300 person soup kitchen requires tons of resources.

- Now that we know there are resistance cells in other major cities, how long until the Boston division is joined by members from Chicago, Detroit, D.C., etc?

- Do the skitters operate with a hive type mentality i.e. a queen and tons of drones? What's their leadership structure?

Cheers,
post #299 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Anyone here think that Steven Spielberg looked at the episodes already produced and proclaimed... "great, great, that's great boys... keep up the good work"?

He's got more on the line here than anyone else- reputation wise anyway.

Wonder how many episodes have actually been completed through post-production?

I think his name being attached to the project was what garnered the high, initial ratings it got, but his name also implied a certain level of intelligence to the show that created unreasonable expectations. I was expecting a better show much along the lines of Spielberg's excellent long mini-series, Taken. Falling Skies is nothing more than a typical TNT action drama.
post #300 of 2301 Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well ...

1. I think District 9 showed that you could still breathe new life into a tired genre. I know it isn't the same as what we have on FS, but at least it tried something different.

2. Breaking Bad comes back in a couple weeks. Summer is no longer an excuse for crap-tv.

3. I'm not a fan of cheese, but you're right, I do enjoy a mindless popcorn flick as much as the next guy (I absolutely loved Transformers for example lol). The thing is, Falling Skies isn't as much mindless as it is a giant middle-finger to all common sense. To me, mindless fun is something like Chuck. FS is mindless without the fun.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page