AVS Forum banner
149K views 3K replies 216 participants last post by  blade005 
#1 ·
#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis /forum/post/20618740

I realize that I am in the minority here, but I liked the show when I first saw the pilot, and liked it even more when I re-watched it last night. I picked up on some of the themes that I didn't pay much attention to the first time. Some of these directly answer the nits I have read in this forum.

1) The aliens don't have good weapons: The aliens took over and wiped out 90% of the Earth's population in less than 6 months. I would say they have pretty good weapons. They are also toying with the remaining population. If the humans use small arms only, they react in kind. It seems the resistance in South Boston escalated to RPG's, and were promptly repayed with a nuke. It appears that their air to ground weapons are tailored to fit the situation. One shot by the flying ship took out all of John Pope's men.

2) It is stupid that the Second Mass. can walk around in daylight: The show dealt with this directly. When the aliens first came, they came quickly and in mass numbers. They did the major population purges then. Remember the town where all of the popultion was hearded together, the kids taken and the rest nuked? So now the great majority of the aliens are gone (where we don't know), and those remaining are being very systematic in dealing with the survivors.

Tom, the Captain and the General discussed the strategy of creating multiple groups of 300. The aliens currently can (I read choose) to auto detect groups of humans of 500 or more. I think it's more about the most efficient use of their resources. The talk went somthing like: "What happens when they target groups of 300? We'll split into smaller groups. So are we going to keep splitting into smaller and smaller groups until they target and kill single people?"

The aliens detect humans by heat, (maybe bright light) and sound. It seems that they currently have their air and/or orbit sensors set to detect larger heat signatures. That's why the flares drew a ship. But, once again, the aliens didn't bother to mop up. One tactical bomb and back home. They are very efficient in the use of their current soldiers and resources. They are now mostly concerned with controlling the city of Boston. They set aside small squads in trap areas (food stores and the armory). They are taking out the larger groups of humans outside of the city first. If you don't think the alien strategy is realistic enough for you, it's your right to complain. But it's not a flaw in the writing.

3) Tom's history lessons: Have you ever been to a dinner party withh a college professor? Besides, even the writers are having fun with it. Hal to Tom; "Dad, can you lay off the history lessons around the guys?" I kind of like this, and think it is being set up to be a very important element in the plot as to how to defeat the aliens (Tom already mentioned tunneling under the main Boston ship)

4) I hate the writing style: Ok, so you do. I think it is written much less in soap opera style than were V, Heroes or Flash Forward. The characters are being given some nuance. For instance, Captain Weaver could go from, "I don't care what you think, it's an order" to waiting silently and checking his watch while the group has a "normal" moment watching the kids on the skateboard before nodding to Tom to break it up to leave. Or, the Captain giving it to Tom about his errors in getting captured at the Armory and then letting him go to find his son.

The conversations between Tom and John Pope are witty. The writers even had fun with that. John complained about the lack of good conversation with his less than educated gang. Tom's invitation for John to join the resistance was baited with: "At least there will be good conversation."

There is just a hint of humor, which is appropriate in this part of the story. Tom telling his son to "get a room", when he had already done so, followed by the warning about the paper thin walls after the men in the next room made it clear they could hear everything. There is even some dark humor. "What do you think he's thinking...Nothing now." Or "Cueball thought he was better because he brought chocolate...he wasn't."

The previews hint of much more mystery involving the aliens. I can't wait for tonight's episode. Flame away if that is your penchant. But I invite those that enjoy the show to post about the your thoughts on what's going to happen, the cool parts you remember, and the little things that some might have missed. (I want a good shot of a skitter's back to see if a harness is there).

Well put. Thanks. Learned a lot that I missed and inspired me to watch a little closer tonite. Wonder if the skitter's can see in different spectrums a la "Predators"?

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis /forum/post/20618740

4) I hate the writing style: Ok, so you do. I think it is written much less in soap opera style than were V, Heroes or Flash Forward. The characters are being given some nuance. For instance, Captain Weaver could go from, "I don't care what you think, it's an order" to waiting silently and checking his watch while the group has a "normal" moment watching the kids on the skateboard before nodding to Tom to break it up to leave. Or, the Captain giving it to Tom about his errors in getting captured at the Armory and then letting him go to find his son.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. They went out of their way to avoid two dimensional cardboard stereotypes as much as possible in the pilot. I hope that trend continues.

#236 ·
Pretty bad for the most part. Having the father of the captured kid stand up and run to his kid was oh so lame, especially after the previous week of the kid breaking cover for the dog. I almost turned it off after that scene. There is still not enough logic to the writing. Why, oh why, would the aliens have the kids collecting small scrap metal when there are tons of cars around? Digging up organic material would make more sense. The scenes with the collared kids would actually be a lot better if they showed signs of rebellion, but lacked the ability to totally resist. The nice family and kid moments are probably necessary to pull in some demographics, but my reference for good sci-fi is Battle Star Galactica and Lost. Lost had Walt, but never did that character require over the top coddling. BSG stayed away from the cutesy kid that was in the original for a reason. This show is closer to Land of the Lost.

#237 ·
I'm enjoying the show, but one thing that jumped out at me last night--Pope's brother was killed by the blonde girl (sorry, bad with names on shows like this) but he doesn't seem to care at all. He seems more concerned with poaching chicken than getting revenge for his brother. Maybe he's laying low and waiting for his chance, but that's not the impression that I'm getting. (unless I'm screwing up characters and that wasn't his brother, but I think it was).

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris /forum/post/20613083

I think a lot of people generally underestimate just how many mental casualties would be inflicted by an alien attack. I suspect a decent portion of the human population would just emotionally shutdown from shock. An alien invasion and the resulting human extermination is something that our relatively bloodless society is not equiped to deal with.

Such is the gov't reasoning for not making public any current activities.

#239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke /forum/post/20621771

I thought tonights show was a step up. I enjoyed it and hated to see it end. That was pretty dark when they killed the kids.

Agreed. Second ep better than the first. I will be tuning in again!

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 /forum/post/20623093

I'm enjoying the show, but one thing that jumped out at me last night--Pope's brother was killed by the blonde girl (sorry, bad with names on shows like this) but he doesn't seem to care at all. He seems more concerned with poaching chicken than getting revenge for his brother. Maybe he's laying low and waiting for his chance, but that's not the impression that I'm getting. (unless I'm screwing up characters and that wasn't his brother, but I think it was).

Has anyone told him his brother was killed? I missed that.

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 /forum/post/20623093

I thought he gave her "I know what you did" stare while they were in the kitchen.

#243 ·
Thought the third episode was okay. Let down by the predictability of the forced conflict between Wyle and Steven Weber. It lacked all subtlety and I could see the ending coming from the moment they hugged.

It's a pity that the aliens killed all the sci-fi nerds in the first wave attack too. They must have been priority targets otherwise at least one of them might have suggested the idea that the aliens might be telepathic and having a live one in the base could cause a problem.

Also interesting to note that the aliens took off the training wheels this week and learned how to shoot without requiring laser targeting.

#246 ·
Apparently none of the writers have ever been up close and personal w/ a smoke wrench (acetylene torch for the non-gear heads). That youngster would have suffered some very severe burns to have a torch that close to his skin not to mention the heat thru conduction of the needles he was cutting thru.

So far this had made V look stellar by comparison.

#247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark /forum/post/0

Apparently none of the writers have ever been up close and personal w/ a smoke wrench (acetylene torch for the non-gear heads). That youngster would have suffered some very severe burns to have a torch that close to his skin not to mention the heat thru conduction of the needles he was cutting thru.

So far this had made V look stellar by comparison.

It's s tv show. Every show takes liberties. It's not real life.

#249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark /forum/post/20624442

I thought the kid would be burned too but I figured it was a trade-off and the kid wouldn't feel any pain anyway. It didn't seem to affect him much though.

I couldn't be sure if the needles were supposed to be metal either. They looked like some kind of plastic so I was surprised they were using a torch to cut them. I guess it seals the end and stops his spinal fluid leaking out when he walks or making a noise like a set of human bagpipes.

#250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/20624636

It's s tv show. Every show takes liberties. It's not real life.

That's the kind of liberty you see in a Roadrunner cartoon. You hold a torch that close to someone's bare skin and you're going to have a "Burning Man" w/o going there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.