post #451 of 2532 Old 07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

So did I miss anyone questioning why the de-collared son recognized his father when he woke up. Didn't the other kid have total amnesia?
As far as the doc shoving the knife up the bugs mouth. Best scene of the series

Maybe it had something to do with the skinner that was linked to these kids was dead. Just quessing though.

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2532 Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Maybe it had something to do with the skinner that was linked to these kids was dead. Just quessing though.

And the other kid was talking to Hal (?) after Anne killed the captive skitter, right?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #453 of 2532 Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I seem to remember that when they were communicating with the captive skitter thru the first rescued kid they asked it what it wanted them to do or something like that and the answer was "kill me". I'm a little fuzzy on it but noticed they repeated the scene on the most recent episode's "previously on" segment. What does anybody think the significance of this is?? Do the skitters have some kind of Bushido code thing going on (Japanese soldiers in WW2 often committed suicide rather than be captured)? Was the skitter an unwilling radio controlled "slave/puppet" of some kind of ubermind residing in the giant spaceship who wanted to be put out of it's misery? If so, is it possible that there are only as many real invaders as there are motherships and might not that mean that defeating the invasion could be accomplished by a co-ordinated simultaneous attack on the motherships (trojan horse thingy?). It wouldn't be the first time an idea was stolen from Independence day (remember Noah dragging in the captive skitter?)

Steve S.
post #454 of 2532 Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

And the other kid was talking to Hal (?) after Anne killed the captive skitter, right?

I didn't put 2 & 2 together on that one. Thanks. Maybe we'll find out in future episodes.

Steve S,

It sure did seem like the skitter wanted no part of living. Not sure what to make of that yet.

In any case, this show seems like it's worth watching (at least for now) even with it's short-comings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #455 of 2532 Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Got caught up on the last two episodes last night .. the show is growing on me ..

With Popes escape, surely he will attempt some payback .. although I kept thinking he would suddenly re-join the group after incinerating the "sleeping pod" .. telling the dude he pounded "Sorry man, those hanging skitters were just too tempting .. "

It seems that the children with the parasite (it appears part mechanical and part biological to me) are able to be used by the skitters as a communication tool .. surely this will be expanded upon in future episodes ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #456 of 2532 Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

So did I miss anyone questioning why the de-collared son recognized his father when he woke up. Didn't the other kid have total amnesia?

There wasn't anything to question. It was obvious inconsistent writing.
post #457 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

There wasn't anything to question. It was obvious inconsistent writing.

Obvious? I think we've already put forth a possible reason. How are you so sure that is was obvious inconsistent writing?

post #458 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pretend that all are not effected equally by the spinal device .. as well, someone decided we needed a miracle mixed in with a family moment ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #459 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 AM

They also mentioned in an earlier episode how the longer they were attached the more difficulty they had. We don't know if any of these kids had the harness for a longer time than others.
post #460 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Obvious? I think we've already put forth a possible reason. How are you so sure that is was obvious inconsistent writing?

The entire show abounds with weak writing, so there was no reason to assume this was any different.
post #461 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling View Post

They also mentioned in an earlier episode how the longer they were attached the more difficulty they had. We don't know if any of these kids had the harness for a longer time than others.

True .. Which is probably one some children are recovering more quickly than others but still I would think there would be after effects to all the children.
Speaking of the scene where Hal joined the kids my only problem with that was Hal looked way older than the other children and much taller which I would think be easy for the skitters to notice .. It would have made more sense to have the kid go undercover who let his dog be the one drawing out the skitters in an earlier episode .
post #462 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

True .. Which is probably one some children are recovering more quickly than others but still I would think there would be after effects to all the children.
Speaking of the scene where Hal joined the kids my only problem with that was Hal looked way older than the other children and much taller which I would think be easy for the skitters to notice .. It would have made more sense to have the kid go undercover who let his dog be the one drawing out the skitters in an earlier episode .

And then have that kid reach into the skitter's mouth and kill it? That might be a lot to ask of a child.

post #463 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The entire show abounds with weak writing, so there was no reason to assume this was any different.

Obviously.

post #464 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

What was worse was that there was not a bit of surprise or rejoicing from his father that his son did recognize him and wasn't suffering from amnesia. I suspend reality when I watch scifi, but there should be an adult supervising the writers to try and avoid large inconsistencies. Yes, I'm still watching. It is summer and Sunday evening is devoid of other alternatives.
post #465 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It is summer and Sunday evening is devoid of other alternatives.

But not for much longer:

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad

CW Hinkle
post #466 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
And this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #467 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Can we get back to discussing the show again .. I'm tired of still seeing posts trashing the show and now the whole other shows that are worth watching ..
This is for Falling Skies not Breaking Bad or Alphas or whatever and if you want to discuss them then go to the boards for them and get out of here.
These kinds of posts are annoying *rolleyes*
By the way I like Alphas but if I want to talk about it I go there not here !! I come here to discuss Falling Skies or at least try since all the nagative and off topic posts are dominating this board .. Enough already !
And as for writing EVERY series has bad writing, inconsistencies, and so forth and all stretch the limits of credibility but yet people still watch and enjoy and actually *gasp* like them !!
So trying to again get things on the right track again- how many people actually survived the attack ? Also it is nice seeing the characters being fleshed out and what if some family members thought killed are actually still alive?
post #468 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
They have no idea how many people survived the attack since communication is scarce.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #469 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

They have no idea how many people survived the attack since communication is scarce.

But they do have a certain amount of communication it seems and shelter too which helps..
I do not trust POPE and think he will return to cause major trouble !
post #470 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
There were a couple of good scenes this week.

I liked Steven Weber being killed mostly off-screen and without any chance of a dying monologue or protracted death scene. It was so unusual for a TV show I kept expecting him to come back to life.

Moon killing off the skitter without much hesitation was pretty good too. I thought the show would go the usual route of nice doc making friends with the alien. At least she got something to chew on beside looking pretty.

"I don't know what's crazy any more. We are fighting aliens from outer space." I thought that line was very funny for some reason. Maybe it was just because they acknowledge the ridiculousness of the situation.

Highlight among the consistent plot holes though. It's lucky skitters cannot count. I was expecting a horde of kids for the infiltrator to blend with, not just six. Silly aliens. Build spaceships but they haven't grasped the concept of a roll call and both aliens and humans seemed to have forgotten the concept of guarding your prisoners. They should know how useless those mechs are. They can't hit a barn, sound like thunder, limited field of view, easy to avoid. Harness some dogs! Much better security.

My initial misgiving about the creators acknowledging that they are basically making this up as they go was not misplaced. The lore they have for the aliens is not very solid and I'm 100% certain that whatever theories are put forward on this board will be more elaborate than the show's explanation.

post #471 of 2532 Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Can we get back to discussing the show again .. I'm tired of still seeing posts trashing the show and now the whole other shows that are worth watching ..
This is for Falling Skies not Breaking Bad or Alphas or whatever and if you want to discuss them then go to the boards for them and get out of here.
By the way I like Alphas but if I want to talk about it I go there not here !! I come here to discuss Falling Skies or at least try since all the nagative and off topic posts are dominating this board .. Enough already !
And as for writing EVERY series has bad writing, inconsistencies, and so forth and all stretch the limits of credibility but yet people still watch and enjoy and actually *gasp* like them !!
So trying to again get things on the right track again- how many people actually survived the attack ? Also it is nice seeing the characters being fleshed out and what if some family members thought killed are actually still alive?

Why? those are valid comments - just because you may not like them does not make them any less valid. Making a statement that there is something better on than this dreck is valid too- Breaking Bad has a much better reputation than this show will ever have.

As to the kid not having amnesia, that whole issue could have been solved with one or two lines of dialog in the previous episode. The doctor could have simply said something to the effect "The kids we removed the harness from seemed to have varying reactions to the procedure. Some had memory loss while others didn't." Problem solved, script and plot continuity fixed. All someone had to do is read the damn scripts.
post #472 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Although I like to stay on topic myself, I have over the years gotten some pretty good tips on shows when a poster drifts off topic ..

Sci-Fi is a tough area .. very, very difficult to break new ground .. as well, I tend to forgive sloppy scripting if the acting is plausable and the plot follows a fairly consistent path .. probably asking for trouble with that statement ..

The show has grown on me each week .. could it be better .. ? Sure .. that can be said of most shows ..

I hear it's been renewed and that's fine by me .. maybe if it has good success, it will help prompt other networks to produce more Sci Fi ..

Uncle Willie

post #473 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Why? those are valid comments - just because you may not like them does not make them any less valid. Making a statement that there is something better on than this dreck is valid too- Breaking Bad has a much better reputation than this show will ever have.

As to the kid not having amnesia, that whole issue could have been solved with one or two lines of dialog in the previous episode. The doctor could have simply said something to the effect "The kids we removed the harness from seemed to have varying reactions to the procedure. Some had memory loss while others didn't." Problem solved, script and plot continuity fixed. All someone had to do is read the damn scripts.

A lot of times and I do mean a lot of times points like these are written in to the script however an editor or director may pull the line(s) or just not film it to save time and get the show in to the required time length.
Its not always the writers fault.

Argee
post #474 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can we get back to discussing the show again .. I'm tired of still seeing posts trashing the show

So...basically you are saying you want us all to just talk about the parts of the show you like, but critical discussion about what works and doesn't work isn't allowed. Got it. Sorry, but it doesn't quite work that way. Discussion is discussion...we talk about the good parts *and* the bad parts.
post #475 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, but it doesn't quite work that way. Discussion is discussion...we talk about the good parts *and* the bad parts.

as long as we can agree that there are, in fact, some good parts .. (of course, if there were not, we would not be watching .. ) ..

Uncle Willie

post #476 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Quote:

So...basically you are saying you want us all to just talk about the parts of the show you like, but critical discussion about what works and doesn't work isn't allowed. Got it. Sorry, but it doesn't quite work that way. Discussion is discussion...we talk about the good parts *and* the bad parts.

So, vfx, you took a whole tirade and decided to make comment on just the first part of it. I think what taffyrose is saying is that people are turning this thread into a thread about other shows and she is correct. I agree that this thread is about Falling Skies, not Alphas or Breaking Bad and should be kept there....

Bobby 

post #477 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Or maybe the writers just want us to think about it for a week. As I remember, once the kid woke up, there wasn't a whole lot of show left. Dad looked happy and shocked. Was there even anymore after that? It seemed like a weekly cliff-hanger to me.

post #478 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just as long as you don't mind others disagreeing with you and pointing out their views, were all good.

post #479 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

So, vfx, you took a whole tirade and decided to make comment on just the first part of it.

Yes. Because that is the part of the tirade I had an issue with.
post #480 of 2532 Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
For me the show has gotten marginally better and I was surprised by the quick exit of Weber. I kept waiting for him to somehow re-appear.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page