Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
My wife and I lost interest in this one after the third show. It's not that it was just horribly bad, it's just that there didn't feel like any real compelling reason to watch it so we just kind of forgot about it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

The thing with most cable series, HBO aside, is that even those with better writing, if you take a long hard look you can see they are done on a shoestring budget when compared to major network fare. Perhaps someday we may see the budget of a major network show with the writing of some of the cable networks best.

On the other hand, some of those "shoestring" shoes do actually have some great writing. From the early seasons of "Rescue Me" and "The Shield" to "Sons of Anarchy" and even light fare like "Burn Notice", there's a huge amount of room for quality in a penny pinching environment.

Even a show like Supernatural can't possibly have that large of a budget on the CW and that show rocks.

Good writing is good writing.

In fact, the lack of a budget usually forces people to be more creative.

The problem is, more and more, the attitude seems to always be "we'll fix it in post..."
post #633 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
No matter how great the writing, the actors and their chemistry, as well as the viewers ability to relate to the characters weigh in heavily on any show .. from any source ..

I'm still digging Falling Skies .. ragged holes and all ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #634 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

No matter how great the writing, the actors and their chemistry, as well as the viewers ability to relate to the characters weigh in heavily on any show .. from any source ..

Well, I would say the chemistry is there. It does feel like the characters do have a good foundation with each other.

The problem is, the writers haven't given us much to relate to. They don't seem to have an urgency about their situation and we don't really know anything about their lives before this. Even preparing for battle feels more like everyone is getting ready to put together a charity car wash. It doesn't feel like anyone is worried other than the bickering about tactics.

Further, the show seems to be stuck in flow chart mode:

- It's revealed there is a nearby 1) storehouse of food/weapons/supplies or 2) safe place to move to.
- Plans are made to deal with the above, but not without a disagreement over the execution.
- The mission is carried out, but not without someone being injured or killed after someone goes off the plan.
- Meanwhile, the good doctor/captain/Margaret has to deal with 1) people in need of medical care/food/an attitude adjustment or 2) some half-hearted alien research/problems with children/someone who needs to be trained in something.
- The fighters manage to resolve the mission, but not as planned or according to a plan conceived off camera in hopes of surprising the audience.

During the show, one or more of the following may happen:

- Pope shows up and talks smack about someone's cooking. He later pulls of some sort of escape from where he is being held or cornered. He has to encounter Wyle's character, who both helps him while keeping him out of trouble until he's out of sight.
- Someone shows hatred toward a formerly harnessed kid, but later is eliminated or shown the error of his ways.
- A character we haven't met plays an important role in the story.
- We see someone at the missing kids board.
- Some sort of task needs to be done with the motorcycles.
- Everyone has dinner together or relaxes with friends at the end of the day.

Quote:

I'm still digging Falling Skies .. ragged holes and all ..

I'm still in because it's not bad, but I just wish they would step it up a bit and at least smooth out a few of the ragged holes.
post #635 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My only point was, many are overlooking the cast / chemistry / .. on the thread ..

I've said it many, many times and I say it again .. SciFi is a tough genre for any writer .. I'm sure if they hired Joss Whedon, (if he had the time and the money was on the table) .. we'd get better scripts .. but one of the resaons guys like Whedon are always in demand, is because they are so rare ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #636 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

- Everyone has dinner together or relaxes with friends at the end of the day.

Yeah, now that you mention it...
post #637 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

My only point was, many are overlooking the cast / chemistry / .. on the thread ..

The cast in name are fine, but most of the time they look like they are sleepwalking through the show. One of the best scenes of the entire series was when Moon stabbed the skitter and then slapped her hand on the notice board. Why? Because she was angry and shook up! After that she went back to just looking concerned and sympathetic and not doing very much.

The rest of the cast barely display anger, stress or levity, instead choosing to look pensive and then stiffly walk into another room. Even during action scenes there's rarely any emotion. They just bark orders and run around. Wyle's calm stance is approaching comatose at points. They really should have left Weber on the show because he has a lot of screen presence and injected some life into his character which gave Wyle some friction to play against.

Pope is just as f****d as the rest of them but at least his character has some spark.

post #638 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suppose many of us would be in that mode considering the circumstances .. you know, if one likes nothing about a show, then it's usually best to spend precious time with something other than ..

Uncle Willie

post #639 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

I suppose many of us would be in that mode considering the circumstances .. you know, if one likes nothing about a show, then it's usually best to spend precious time with something other than ..

Yawnnnnnnn ...

post #640 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Keep the discussion/criticism to the show, not other members.
post #641 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow! 23 pages. Starts to rival Imdb for comments. I love their forum though as the trolls are out in force. The show varies from dumb fun to lameo. For me, heavy on the lameo. But what can you expect. It's TURNER for goodness sakes! No kiddie sex, no adult sex, no taking the lord's name in vain (even when caught by the aliens), in short, nothing. I guess I have to wait for the 2nd season of "Walking Dead" or a whole year for "Game of Thrones" season 2 but that is good TV. At least if I was in Hamilton, I could get a role as an extra that gets killed or one of the civilians (which we seem to have forgotten about in the past several episodes...or else their numbers went down immensely from 300 to about 20). Ah well, only a couple more episodes and I can move along to something else for a few months...
post #642 of 2532 Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Launching ICBMs after EMP would not be an issue. Coordination and targeting would be difficult. Nuclear cruise missiles would be easier to retarget, but the show is vague on the timelines for elimination of major military capabilities. It just has to be assumed that nuclear capabilities were targeted early and eliminated by other means besides just EMP.

At this point... how do we know they didn't launch nuclear strikes?

In the movie Independence Day, the nukes weren't of value until they figured out how to knock out the alien ships' shields.

Also... launching nukes at the aliens means contamination of earth with fallout... so we might win the war, but render the planet uninhabitable in the process.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #643 of 2532 Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post

But what can you expect. It's TURNER for goodness sakes! No kiddie sex, no adult sex, no taking the lord's name in vain (even when caught by the aliens), in short, nothing.

It's called "family entertainment"...
If you need a sex, cursing fix- you'll no doubt enjoy Shameless from Showtime.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #644 of 2532 Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
IF it was in the 8 PM time slot, then it would be family viewing. But at 10 PM not so much.
post #645 of 2532 Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

IF it was in the 8 PM time slot, then it would be family viewing. But at 10 PM not so much.

That's 7PM pacific. There's no "TNT West".
post #646 of 2532 Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
That's 7PM pacific. There's no "TNT West".
There sure is. Comcast here in the Sacramento/Stockton area changed to TNTHD West a year or so ago. I do miss the scheduling benefits of the East feed.
post #647 of 2532 Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
There sure is. Comcast here in the Sacramento/Stockton area changed to TNTHD West a year or so ago. I do miss the scheduling benefits of the East feed.
I stand corrected.

However, they still have to take into account all those folks who only see the East Coast version, namely the millions of DirecTV customers and those with cable companies that only have that feed.

Don't forget, TNT is also hardly the example of an edgy network. They used to show dialog-edited versions of NYPD Blue that had previously aired to a much larger audience over the air on ABC.
post #648 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought overall that was a pretty good episode I think it moved along the plot nicely and also introduced several new plot points.

With that said was anyone else also really creeped out by the greys?

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #649 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Was that Nina Sharp? She survived the initial assault. Now only if Walter was around to cook up an anti-alien concoction. I'm looking forward to the 2-hour season finale.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #650 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
seriously...did we need another "it's her/him, we gotta do something" scene? You'd think by now EVERYONE would've learned to keep their cool when they see someone they know harnessed...sheeesh

thread closed
post #651 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

seriously...did we need another "it's her/him, we gotta do something" scene? You'd think by now EVERYONE would've learned to keep their cool when they see someone they know harnessed...sheeesh

You can't always control your emotions especially for someone you care deeply about. That is true in real life so I see no problem with it. If they were robots I could understand them always being able to control their emotions, but they are human so that is not possible for a normal person.

Besides you knew it was coming at some point. She had been taken in an earlier episode, so it was expected for her to turn up at some point.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #652 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

I thought overall that was a pretty good episode I think it moved along the plot nicely and also introduced several new plot points.

With that said was anyone else also really creeped out by the greys?

The greys. They hinted there was something out ther besides the skitters. Why do mechs have 2 legs? Now we have an idea why they want to kids.

Not a bad episode overall and much less stupid then previous ones
post #653 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

Yeah, it was one of the flaws of the episodes along with shooting at a metal object that deflects bullets with a crowd gathered round. Having said that, I did get into this episode which seemed a bit better. The promo from my cable provider mentioned that Frank Oz (jr?) directed this episode. Perhaps this was one reason it was a bit better. Still a work in progress.
post #654 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

At this point... how do we know they didn't launch nuclear strikes?

In the movie Independence Day, the nukes weren't of value until they figured out how to knock out the alien ships' shields.

Also... launching nukes at the aliens means contamination of earth with fallout... so we might win the war, but render the planet uninhabitable in the process.

We don't know if they used nukes and so we have to go with the premise that they were either not used or, as you state, ineffective.

As far as contamination goes, a scorched earth policy against an overpowering enemy is a valid option. It may not be the preferred option, but worth considering in an all out war.
post #655 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Still an awful lot of lazy writing IMO. So many plot points that could be made less stupidly and unrealistically. I really loved that Wylie was shooting photos with a film camera! I'm sure there were plenty of those laying around when they escaped the onslaught. Just like I'm sure they easily found and carry around all the chemicals and enlarger to make prints to look at later. The show could be better with not much effort, which is what frustrates me. I get that they don't have the big budget - so do what shows of old did, like Combat! in the 60's. They dealt with a global conflict, but boiled it down to a small squad based story that they could write good stories for.

This writing is simply bad. So many glaring plot holes - despite wanting to like it, I can't help saying "oh please" to myself about every 6-7 minutes. I know, that makes me (and anyone who doesn't heap praise on it) a "hater". You folks who like that term really need to lighten up on that. Or, should we call you guys "lovers"? It's not black and white, it's shades of gray.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #656 of 2532 Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I really loved that Wylie was shooting photos with a film camera! I'm sure there were plenty of those laying around when they escaped the onslaught. Just like I'm sure they easily found and carry around all the chemicals and enlarger to make prints to look at later.

Any university with a photography program would have a darkroom. Since enlargers are simply light bulbs with lenses in front of them, they would have been unaffected by the pulse.

Heck, my high school had a dark room and still does. Granted, they didn't keep much stock on hand and was mostly black and white, but the equipment was capable of color and I know of a photographic supply shop in Hartford, so I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Unmixed photographic chemicals last years, so they would be good for a while. The paper, if kept cool and dry would have a decent shelf life, too.
post #657 of 2532 Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Still an awful lot of lazy writing IMO. So many plot points that could be made less stupidly and unrealistically. I really loved that Wylie was shooting photos with a film camera! I'm sure there were plenty of those laying around when they escaped the onslaught. Just like I'm sure they easily found and carry around all the chemicals and enlarger to make prints to look at later. The show could be better with not much effort, which is what frustrates me. I get that they don't have the big budget - so do what shows of old did, like Combat! in the 60's. They dealt with a global conflict, but boiled it down to a small squad based story that they could write good stories for.

This writing is simply bad. So many glaring plot holes - despite wanting to like it, I can't help saying "oh please" to myself about every 6-7 minutes. I know, that makes me (and anyone who doesn't heap praise on it) a "hater". You folks who like that term really need to lighten up on that. Or, should we call you guys "lovers"? It's not black and white, it's shades of gray.

It's not like a digital camera would work after the EMP. A film camera would be their only choice. I have a couple of them lying around. But I have not used them since the 20th centufy

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #658 of 2532 Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Better episode overall- It seemed to be over too soon, that's a good sign

Pretty lame CGI on "The greys"...

Great scene where Noah looks through the apartment door peephole and one of the greys is staring at him from the other side... nice reaction shot there!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #659 of 2532 Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It's not like a digital camera would work after the EMP. A film camera would be their only choice. I have a couple of them lying around. But I have not used them since the 20th centufy

A digital camera is probably not a big enough antenna to pick up a lot of EMP. Most stuff not pluged in or presenting an antenna that picks up EMP would survive. I think the script has overplayed the EMP scenario. Consider that EMP is equivalent to lightening strikes, which it pretty much is. The phone companies have been hardened against that forever. Most power grids are susceptable. Surge protectors are pretty common these days so power is knocked out, but devices after the surge protector survive. Even a surviving sophisticated film camera would need film (a rare comodity these days) and use batteries as a digital camera does. Finally, I didn't pick up that the camera was a film camera. Could it have been a digital SLR?
post #660 of 2532 Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Better episode overall- It seemed to be over too soon, that's a good sign

Pretty lame CGI on "The greys"...

Great scene where Noah looks through the apartment door peephole and one of the greys is staring at him from the other side... nice reaction shot there!

Agree with everyone you said. Dissapointed on the CGI on the greys but overall I was loving the episode and was ticked when it ended.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page