post #811 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Showing them how to take it off "Full Auto" would be a good start.

Well, technically, none of them were using automatic weapons - or at least not in automatic mode. It only sounded that way when they all fired at once. Even civil war rifles will sound like that when a bunch fire all at once.

Think about it, they had 30 rounds between them. Even if it were only 6 people, that's only 5 rounds.

Any automatic weapon would expend that in about a half a second.

However, they still were dumb about it. They should have made rounds for something you can use a scope with and give 10 rounds each to 3 guys, each aiming for the "head" one at a time, counting off their shots in turn until they kill it.

Everyone else would get things like pipe bombs and molotov cocktails to at least hold it back and keep the fire off the snipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

Even little kids who play paintball know how to turn off auto to conserve ammo.

Paintball guns are semi-automatic - at least as they come from the store, anyway. You pull the trigger, it shoots a paintball. Repeat until you run out of rounds.

Now, something like TL Spyder with a two finger trigger can be fired very quickly and seem to be automatic, but it's really just the player pulling the trigger really fast. I can shoot up to 5 rounds a second with mine, meaning I could empty a 150 ball hopper in about 30 seconds. That, of course, is provided they feed that fast. The problem is, it's a gravity feed and the shells of the balls are made from gelatin - which makes them sometimes stick together in humid weather.

So, some of those 5 shots per second are just air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Paintball guns are semi-automatic - at least as they come from the store, anyway. You pull the trigger, it shoots a paintball. Repeat until you run out of rounds.

Now, something like TL Spyder with a two finger trigger can be fired very quickly and seem to be automatic, but it's really just the player pulling the trigger really fast. I can shoot up to 5 rounds a second with mine, meaning I could empty a 150 ball hopper in about 30 seconds. That, of course, is provided they feed that fast. The problem is, it's a gravity feed and the shells of the balls are made from gelatin - which makes them sometimes stick together in humid weather.

So, some of those 5 shots per second are just air.

Plenty of them come "from the store" full auto. My Spyder MR3 has no modifications, and a nice little 3 way switch. Semi auto, semi auto with IR, and hold the trigger down full auto. Full auto chops balls like crazy because I never bought a fast enough hopper to keep up, but it is there.
post #813 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I don't understand the big ratings jump for the season finale...did people really watch the 2 hour premiere, skip all the middle episodes and come back to watch the 2 hour finale?

This is no different than other shows on TV. Many Season finales will have higher ratings than the weekly average.

For instance a coworker just started watching it last week and watched the finale, half on Sunday and half on Monday. He plans on watching the first 7 episodes from Comcast VOD if they are available.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #814 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

For instance a coworker just started watching it last week and watched the finale, half on Sunday and half on Monday. He plans on watching the first 7 episodes from Comcast VOD if they are available.

strange way to watch a show...watch the final episode first and then all the others...seems like they don't care about any potential spoilers in the finale ruining their enjoyment of the early episodes...I could never watch a show like that...I won't even watch a (highly serialized drama) show unless I've watched all the previous seasons/episodes first...just jumping in the middle would ruin the storytelling for me
post #815 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

So quick question. I haven't read the thread in detail so I could avoid spoilers. I watched ep 1 but put the rest on hold until the season was over. Now that it is over what are the thoughts on if it was worth it and how likely/not that it will be renewed? Just trying to decide wether to invest or not! Thanks!

As you've read, renewed. Read novels by Carl Hiaasen or Michael Connelly instead. The writing was excrementally bad. Peeyuu bad. And the acting was worse. I say this after quitting at episode four and scanning the final two episodes.
post #816 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

strange way to watch a show...watch the final episode first and then all the others...seems like they don't care about any potential spoilers in the finale ruining their enjoyment of the early episodes...I could never watch a show like that...I won't even watch a (highly serialized drama) show unless I've watched all the previous seasons/episodes first...just jumping in the middle would ruin the storytelling for me

They watched the 8th episode last week and then episodes 9 and 10 between Sunday and Monday. I've watched shows myself like this in the past. Where I start watching near the end, and realize I like it. So I go back and watch earlier in the Season. I remember watching CSI this way. I watched the last few episodes of the first season in 2001 when they originally aired and then caught the earlier part of the season later.
I also did it with the show Lie to Me. We watched the end of the first Season and then caught the earlier episodes over the Summer. Over the years I've done this many times with shows. When I find I like them I will continue watching them even though they are at the end of the season. And catch up with the earlier episodes later.

LED DLP

post #817 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post

As you've read, renewed. Read novels by Carl Hiaasen or Michael Connelly instead. The writing was excrementally bad. Peeyuu bad. And the acting was worse. I say this after quitting at episode four and scanning the final two episodes.

There are plenty of shows with far worse acting. While the acting is not great on Falling Skies, it is very far from the worst acting on TV.

LED DLP

post #818 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

They watched the 8th episode last week and then episodes 9 and 10 between Sunday and Monday. I've watched shows myself like this in the past. Where I start watching near the end, and realize I like it. So I go back and watch earlier in the Season. I remember watching CSI this way. I watched the last few episodes of the first season in 2001 when they originally aired and then caught the earlier part of the season later.
I also did it with the show Lie to Me. We watched the end of the first Season and then caught the earlier episodes over the Summer. Over the years I've done this many times with shows. When I find I like them I will continue watching them even though they are at the end of the season. And catch up with the earlier episodes later.

shows like CSI or Lie to Me are not highly serialized so watching out of order is probably not a big deal as each episode's story is self contained and doesn't overlap over the entire season...yes they do have some sort of 'main' story that is spread out over the course of a season or several seasons but doesn't require as much dedication to follow...I was referring to shows like Fringe, LOST, Breaking Bad etc which is almost required to watch in order from the beginning otherwise you are missing out on a lot
post #819 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

shows like CSI or Lie to Me are not highly serialized so watching out of order is probably not a big deal as each episode's story is self contained and doesn't overlap over the entire season...yes they do have some sort of 'main' story that is spread out over the course of a season or several seasons but doesn't require as much dedication to follow...I was referring to shows like Fringe, LOST, Breaking Bad etc which is almost required to watch in order from the beginning otherwise you are missing out on a lot

I did that with Big Love and Curb your Enthusiam as well. Big love was highly serialized.
Stargate SG1 was another. I started watching halfway through season 5, and continued to watch the new ones while I caught up on the earlier seasons. MacGyver was another I started watching very late as well and continued to watch the new shows while I caught up on earlier seasons. I guess I've been doing it more than I was thinking. I only pick an handful of shows to watch from the beginning at the start of each season, but if I get recommendations for another show, or happen to catch one at some point and like it, I will keep watching it, whether there are spoilers or not.

Just the fact that there is a known amount of content already produced makes it worthwhile for me to watch it.

LED DLP

post #820 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Talking about Tom's kids, I thought the oldest one was 19 or so when the show started and then at the end it comes out he's 16??? That is a big stretch for anyone to make. The actor is 25 and looks all of it. Some 25 year old can pull it off, he can't. As for the other kid actors they could get themselves in a "Lost" situation- Walt all over again.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hated the final episodes. I wonder what the original plot was when they had planned to kill Weaver off in the pilot. Was Tom supposed to become the de facto leader? I wonder what this show could have been with coherent writing.
post #821 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Oh and BTW the car w/ the 50 cal mounted is a '66 Tempest, not a GTO.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #822 of 2260 Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are plenty of shows with far worse acting. While the acting is not great on Falling Skies, it is very far from the worst acting on TV.

That is not a strong recommendation .

My life has a finite number of hours. I'd rather not spend them watching something, however poorly written and acted, that is, at best, "very far from the worst" on TV. Even that far away from the worst, it is still awful.
post #823 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious to see where this is going now - but they are going to make us wait a year for season 2?? Not sure I will even care about or remember the show anymore a year from now!

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #824 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I'm curious to see where this is going now - but they are going to make us wait a year for season 2?? Not sure I will even care about or remember the show anymore a year from now!

This is how it works with many of the Summer shows. They are shown in the Summer. So each season is Broadcast in the Summer. They only have 8 to 12 episodes per season. I like it that way. Otherwise it comes on again in the Winter when I'm mostly watching content from the larger broadcast networks and I end up with too many things to watch.

LED DLP

post #825 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

Amen. I'm getting tired of these shortened seasons and then a year break, I'll probably forget all about it as well.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #826 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Amen. I'm getting tired of these shortened seasons and then a year break, I'll probably forget all about it as well.

I'll keep it programmed in the DVR, so I don't have to remember. Now, whether I care enough to watch it when it comes back is a different issue.

This and Alphas are shows that I've been watching as they progress this season, but likely wouldn't miss at all if they suddenly weren't renewed.

Of course, more shows every season are that way for me. It's been at least 2 seasons since I was invested enough in a show to actually look forward to it each week.
post #827 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

This and Alphas are shows that I've been watching as they progress this season, but likely wouldn't miss at all if they suddenly weren't renewed.

I've got maybe 4 Alphas episodes on the DVR .. worthwhile .. ?? Just finishing up a marathon watch of "Jericho" ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #828 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

Considering how long it took them to get these episodes to screen (pilot May 2009 - final shooting November 2009 - then post work) and they only just announced season two I think they are moving much faster.

post #829 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't understand the big ratings jump for the season finale...did people really watch the 2 hour premiere, skip all the middle episodes and come back to watch the 2 hour finale?

It also could be that some people only watched the premiere and finale live, while they watched the other episodes later in the week at their leisure. The pilot and finale were "events."
post #830 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
You would think with Tom being a military history expert he would be coming up with all sorts of amazing and unique battle strategies.
For the conservation of bullets... a nice historical reference from Tom would have been the US Revolutionary War reference to wait to fire until you "see the whites of their eyes"...

One Mech, bullets they know will pierce the Mech... wait and each person just fire once and see what happens.

The spread fire would have made more sense IF all those Mechs had attacked at once (like the next wave was doing)... but for the single Mech, one person could have taken that out with a few shots.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #831 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
For the conservation of bullets... a nice historical reference from Tom would have been the US Revolutionary War reference to wait to fire until you "see the whites of their eyes"...

One Mech, bullets they know will pierce the Mech... wait and each person just fire once and see what happens.
That's the kind of image I had in mind too. Line formation with half of them firing a volley to see what happens then the remaining half as backup. Instead of everyone emptying their mags at once.

Considering the amount of shots fired at the first mech based on the bullet holes I think they only landed about ten shots.

post #832 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's going to be a long year. I will be looking forward to season 2.

LED DLP

post #833 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I watched all 10 episodes in two sittings. I find the characters weak and the acting sometimes stilted. The story is okay, but there is too much unnecessary fluff. Plot holes are big enough to shoot missiles through., but it mostly kept my interest and was mildly entertaining.

This is not what I call good sci-fi though. I just got done watching the entire collection of Battlestar Galactica and I'm a watcher of Fringe. Falling Skies is laughably inferior to both of those by far.

Fringe has very interesting likable characters that you care about. Acting is, for the most part, top notch. The story is very intriguing and complex enough to think about. Falling Skies is nowhere NEAR in the same league as Fringe. If I had to choose between the two, it would be an easy choice. But Falling Skies is a summer series and there isn't much else on to watch, so I'm sure I'll be back watching season two next summer.
post #834 of 2260 Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
Plenty of them come "from the store" full auto. My Spyder MR3 has no modifications, and a nice little 3 way switch. Semi auto, semi auto with IR, and hold the trigger down full auto. Full auto chops balls like crazy because I never bought a fast enough hopper to keep up, but it is there.
Yeah...I was gonna say...most electronic markers feature full-auto mode (All?). Actually, most of my friends have electronic markers with full-auto. I have a mechanical myself because I hate wasting paint and that forces me to conserve. In any case, that's one more reason shows like Falling Skies annoy me: people can't aim/take cover/conserve ammo to save their lives. It's not a hard thing to do. There is one thing playing paintball has taught me though that I always thought was bs from watching movies/tv shows, and that's hitting a running target really is pretty hard.
post #835 of 2260 Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I didn't even think it looked like an amp.

Quote:
And I kept looking for the antenna in the lab. There wasn't one. That's a sure way to burn out a transmitter. And then, of course, use the flagpole! Because, even though it is right there burried in the ground, like a giant lightning rod, it's going to act like a verticle dipole, right? Sure. Perfectly tuned to your frequency, and no ground radials! Awesome! What a coincidence!
Oh, you noticed all of that too! Flagpoles make perfect antennas. Didn't ya know that?

I thought they were going to kinda get it more right by using the CB antenna on top of the car, that is until he said that the car was being used as the antenna. Sigh!
There was a clear shot of a rabbit-ear/loop type antenna in the lab ... dubious for xmitter use, but it was there nonetheless.
post #836 of 2260 Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I recorded the last two eps and planned on watching them last night but when the time came I chose to delete them instead.

Based on previous eps this decision was not hard for me.
post #837 of 2260 Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I would give the whole season a C. Some of it was pretty good, some of it was pretty bad, and some of it was just okay. I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch it next season.
post #838 of 2260 Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If we're giving overall grades:
Episodes 1-7 : C to C+
Last 3 episodes: B to B+

Really hate the full year layoff till next (mini?) season- completely kills all momentum generated by last three episodes.

Battlestar Galactica did a full year layoff between season 3 and season 4- and it certainly didn't help ratings. Even they threw us a bone with the "Razor" movie release in the middle of the 12 month layoff.
Maybe we'll see a "Razor" for FS? in the near future?

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #839 of 2260 Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

There was a clear shot of a rabbit-ear/loop type antenna in the lab ... dubious for xmitter use, but it was there nonetheless.

I didn't see any wires coming out of the transmitter that would have connected it to an antenna, did you?
post #840 of 2260 Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I didn't see any wires coming out of the transmitter that would have connected it to an antenna, did you?

Jumper cables grip onto anything.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page