Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2461 Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just because it says executive producer some Hollywood director doesn't mean its good.

Maybe they will write a more coherent story this season?
post #933 of 2461 Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

LOL ... Life is too short. The day is too short. And there really are many alternatives. My DVR overfloweth.

Therefore, I can only assume that there must be some new internet age sport in trying to tweek people who actually like (or at least don't "hate") a show.

That or you're secretly a professional reviewer that actually gets paid to watch and hate shows ... or perhaps a it's a dorm room drinking game?

Otherwise, I just don't get the self-flagulation (sic). YMMV.

Or, it could be some of us are desperate for anything SciFi because we really like SciFi. As a result, we watch but really want it to be better for the sake of the genre.

I think the problem here is certain people latch onto a show as if they actually have a job on it and take even legitimate criticism as being hating.

Don't get me wrong, I get just as annoyed as anyone by those who either a) have stopped watching and still gripe or b) keep saying it sucks and they'll stop watching but ever follow through.

The problem is, anytime someone complains about a particular plot point, character, etc., someone on the extreme other side has to pop up and tell us not to watch as if that's the only only option.

Being critical doesn't mean we hate it. Loving my dog doesn't mean I have to like it if he chews my slippers or pees on the rug. It doesn't mean I should give up and take him to the pound.

We live in a social world now, where show runners have to (and do) pay attention to what fans are saying about their shows. Bad word of mouth spreads like wild fire now, as does the good. You want people to say good things about your show everywhere, not just in the message boards controlled by the network or the studio. You can't substitute fan appreciation with heavy moderation.

In short, I think it's just as important for the people who are perfectly happy with a show to accept valid critiques of elements of a show as it is for those who have complaints to specifically name them and suggest an alternative. Simply saying a show sucks isn't valid criticism nor is suggesting people with complaints should stop watching.

Many of us were looking forward to this show and find ourselves disappointed at the times when great potential goes unfulfilled due to easy to fix issues.
post #934 of 2461 Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^^^ Some fair points to which I will respond later.

For now I'll just say, You're always welcome to develop your own ideas, find financing, actors, writers, directors, then find a buyer and convince them to put it on air.

I mean ya'll have the right answers and how to fix everything in 3 easy steps, no?

Then again, it's much easier to just snipe from the cheap seats.

Quote:

The problem is, anytime someone complains about a particular plot point, character, etc., someone on the extreme other side has to pop up and tell us not to watch as if that's the only only option.

And if the problem isn't the character or the plot point, but merely that the character/plot didn't meet the "critics" expectations or that the only problem is that the character/plot offended the critic personal beliefs. It's a tricky thing to know the difference.

I wonder if "All in the Family" would have survived in the "social media age."
post #935 of 2461 Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 72
TV Notes
'Closer' Final Season and Other TNT Shows Get Premiere Dates
By Tim Molloy, TheWrap.com - Mar. 15, 2012

TNT announced premiere dates Thursday for five returning shows -- including "The Closer," which is airing its final six episodes -- and four new ones, including "Dallas."

"The Closer" will begin its final run on Monday, July 9 at 9/8c, and will be followed by the new detective drama "Perception," starring Eric McCormack as a professor who solves crimes as he battles paranoid schizophrenia.

Falling Skies
• Two-Hour Season Premiere: Sunday, June 17, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)
• Season 2: 10 episodes

The wait is nearly over as basic cable's #1 new series of 2011 returns to continue its extraordinary story about life and survival in the wake of a catastrophic alien invasion. Noah Wyle stars as a college professor who becomes an unlikely resistance leader in this gripping series from DreamWorks Television and executive producer Steven Spielberg. Moon Bloodgood, Will Patton, Drew Roy, Maxim Knight and Connor Jessup also star.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/cl...re-dates-36269
post #936 of 2461 Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
It feels like it's been forever since the show left off.

That's the problem with cable series: so few episodes, it's a longer wait between seasons.

At least it's not as long as the wait for Mad Men...
post #937 of 2461 Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Falling Skies - EP 201 Teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8sujxWids
post #938 of 2461 Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks like Terminator Lite.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #939 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The action is there. I hope the story and subplots evolve.
post #940 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Off-topic posts removed along with posts quoting same.

From this point forward, discussion and serious critiques are welcome from viewers of the program.
Anyone else coming in just to trash the show is going to be removed from the thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #941 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
You know... I forgot... how many episodes were there last season?

I think I read 10 episodes for this 2nd season... and that seems like it is less than I remembered seeing last year.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #942 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Thank you, DrDon .. I do wish that these type removals be selectively used on other threads as well ..

The cliffhanger we were left with at the end of last season should be a great starting point .. I'm glad the show was renewed ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #943 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Off-topic posts removed along with posts quoting same.

From this point forward, discussion and serious critiques are welcome from viewers of the program.
Anyone else coming in just to trash the show is going to be removed from the thread.

Thank you and much appreciation
post #944 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

You know... I forgot... how many episodes were there last season?

I think I read 10 episodes for this 2nd season... and that seems like it is less than I remembered seeing last year.

It was 10 episodes last year too .. Seems to be the normal lately The promos all look really great
post #945 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose123 View Post

It was 10 episodes last year too .. Seems to be the normal lately The promos all look really great

Thanks... For some reason I was thinking we had 12 or 13 last season... but it has been so long I don't blame me for forgetting.

Actually, I'm ok with the shorter seasons of shows... What I don't like are the shows that have 10-12 episodes and then go off the air for a year and don't re-run any repeats to bring in new viewers. At least Falling Skies has been repeated during the hiatus some.

I remember the Dead Zone on USA... and how if you missed a season you never saw repeat episodes during the hiatus.. I tried to get other people into that show but you could never find it on to catch up!

post #946 of 2461 Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
A couple of the directors from Falling Skies have come over to direct episodes on the show I'm working on, They've been raving about how much better and more 'action oriented' the second season is then the first. I'm really looking forward to it.
post #947 of 2461 Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
preview looked like more of the same...someone goes off-plan

thread closed
post #948 of 2461 Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

They've been raving about how much better and more 'action oriented' the second season is then the first.

You mean there's going to be less plot and character development and more "Shoot 'em up, shoot 'em up, POW POW!" in the second season than in the first? I'm not sure this bodes well for the series' longevity. I hope it doesn't end up like "V" did, since the first season of "Falling Skies" had a decent balance between different genres.
post #949 of 2461 Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The cliffhanger we were left with at the end of last season should be a great starting point .. I'm glad the show was renewed ..

+1

Me too.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #950 of 2461 Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
FYI: The show starts it's second season this Sun, June 17th 9PM-11PM EST. I picked up the Blu-Ray last week at Best Buy for $23 and am looking forward to it.

I wasn't a big fan of the show during it's initial run but it really has grown on me. Plus I don't mind that Moon Bloodgood is easy on the eyes.wink.gif

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #951 of 2461 Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

You mean there's going to be less plot and character development and more "Shoot 'em up, shoot 'em up, POW POW!" in the second season than in the first? I'm not sure this bodes well for the series' longevity. I hope it doesn't end up like "V" did, since the first season of "Falling Skies" had a decent balance between different genres.

It wasn't the lack of action that left me wanting. It was silly bs. BSG went way down on the action as the series progressed and had good drama.. Shoot'em up does not make good scifi, but under the scenario of this show it does need to be included. I'll tune in again and hope they've applied some lessons learned from the first year growing pains..
post #952 of 2461 Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I'll take any Sci Fi I can get these days .. and I liked the show ..

As an FYI .. for those going to DVR it, I set mine last night for the early morning showing since it interfered with some other Sunday scheduling .. on my menu, the first episode is divided into 2 separate shows of an hour each .. so you might want to make sure on that ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #953 of 2461 Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Bump up the totem pole to remind everyone that the premier is about to begin!
post #954 of 2461 Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Meh. Nothing new, same old same old. Move the camp. blow things up -rinse and repeat. The piece on the ship was a total let down,"we know your history, we'll put you into camps". That's all the exposition we get? I made it through last season, but I think I'll tune out from here on in.
post #955 of 2461 Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Aside from a 3-month skip, which lets them phase out some actors without a lot of explanation... I agree it felt very much the same. Also some passing mention of the "jamming not working anymore" to explain why they can't just wipe out all the aliens easily... yet at the same time no explanation of how they suddenly have an apparently unlimited supply of the uber-metal to make super-bullets when 3 months ago (i.e. last season) they only had enough to make a handful that they shot up in that finale.

post #956 of 2461 Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 679
I enjoyed the season premiere.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #957 of 2461 Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Oh I found it less "stupid" in tactics and actions so far. It does feel the same but now we get to figure why is he at camp? Ammo is easy to explain, you kill the mechs, you get more ammo.
Still at least they gave you 2 hours not 1 after a long wait. I for one was thankful for that.
post #958 of 2461 Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Oh I found it less "stupid" in tactics and actions so far. It does feel the same but now we get to figure why is he at camp? Ammo is easy to explain, you kill the mechs, you get more ammo.
Still at least they gave you 2 hours not 1 after a long wait. I for one was thankful for that.

Didn't they mention they had found a cache of ammunition somewhere?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #959 of 2461 Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I found the solution. Record it. When I feel it's going down a sweet, sentimental part I fast forward. I agree that the "on ship" stuff was glossed over too much. Had to think why the massacre spared Wylie's character, but concluded that he is a Trojan Horse (or that he's the star:cool: ). That he wasn't killed for attacking the alien in the ship doesn't flow unless he is a Trojan Horse or the Skitters need him to throw off the yoke they are under from the aliens. If the alien ship stay arc has ended, it ended too soon.
The middle son is probably the most interesting character. He could easily be written in as the main character if done right. Seeing him go Rambo and the aliens becoming fearful of him would add to the storyline, IMO. If he can actually interecept and understand the alien communications, he could become a John Conner like figure in that he could lead the resistance by knowing the alien moves in advance.
I found the central control of the airships somewhat disappointing, but I guess there has to be some Achilles Heel or the aliens can't be beat. Destroying a central control as opposed to winning by attrition of the enemy forces are two of the probable outcomes of this series. The Skitter's being conquered conscripts that eventually roll to the human's side along the lines of BSG Cylon's split being my main thought on how the script will evolve. Long supply lines and attrition fit within Wiley's character, but may not be the solution here as drama has to have a twist or two.
Bottom line is that it was "Good Enough". I'll keep recording and watching.
post #960 of 2461 Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Didn't they mention they had found a cache of ammunition somewhere?
They started making ammo and the Mech buster ammo last season.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page