'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Thought this was an improvement over the way last season folded. The alien effects (and frequency) were much improved over the hilarious March of the Mechs that the finale had and the simplicity of the story kept the plot idiocy in check. They started using the alien ships more effectively too. It made no sense last year why this advanced civilization couldn't find and hit them using air power. A traffic copter could have found them all last year.

Movement is good. It gives them a new location each week with greater threat along the way. Less time for hokey talking points and family drama and less time to notice that the majority never did anything useful. I still think the group is too large, but at least they culled some of the dead weight and tightened the focus.

I am wondering if they blew their budget for the next season with all the aliens, ships and explosions in this episode. Will we be back to the same infighting and rhetoric that filled the majority of last season. Tom hasn't made a rousing allegorical speech yet, so there's plenty of time. I wonder if Weaver pointing that out was a writer acknowledgement?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Didn't they mention they had found a cache of ammunition somewhere?

Yes. It was a line from Weaver in the first couple of minutes back at the camp after the first commercial break. I'm not sure why there's so much discussion about the practicality of making ammo here...clearly they said they found a cache of it. End of mystery.
post #993 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

.... I'm not sure why there's so much discussion about the practicality of making ammo here...
AVS posters are a tough crowd....
You see it in every thread that's dedicated to a single show- there are posters that camp out just to be negative.
Just human nature I suppose? Don't worry though... the aliens will adjust their attitude for them eek.gif

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #994 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned Tom Mason's incredible powers of recovery. The guy was shot. Had metal fragments pulled out of his abdomen Civil War field clinic style. Went into shock. Woke up to a very pleasant looking Moon Bloodgood. Got up out of bed ~30min later and started shaking hands and kissing babies like a politician. Bedrest anyone? And now a day later he's manning an anti-aircraft gun mounted Somali-style to the back of a pick-up truck, outrunning TNT expolsions, jumping from bridges, swimming icy Boston rivers, and hoofing it 20miles to the new camp. But that's my only knitpick. Pretty good episode otherwise. tongue.gif

The show could use a few more steamy scenes with Moon and her new intern. Just a suggestion should a writer or producer happen to suscribe to this thread. cool.gif
post #995 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

I am with you there. That said ... Noah Wyle blows (as Tom Mason), I'm sorry. He is still a weak choice for the "main" character of this show. He was last season too. The thing is: I can't be sure if it's solely his mediocre acting, or also some of the trite Pollyanna views the writers give his character regarding human nature that make me dislike him so much. In any case, nothing would make me happier than them killing off his character - which will never happen. But, as the poster above says, I'll take any SciFi I can get, and this is fairly good ...

I have to agree he is a weak link .. especially as a lead .. for some reason, I like Will Patton as Weaver, the Sgt Rock / Nick Fury vibe, I guess .. and Pope, for all his cliche dialog, should have his role expanded ..

And, adding to what aeromorris said, let's bring in Hugh Laurie (Dr House) and he could not only recover miraculously, but also diagnose himself and operate on himself .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #996 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

No. Weaponry is a limited supply. You can't afford to waste what you have. Yes, they seem to waste a lot of bullets. But, wasting the weapons used to fire those bullets is stupid.
Too bad they can't make use of Mec weapons. Not all of the Mecs that they stop will have their weapon's destroyed.

Weapons in this country will never be in short supply. If you run out, just check every third house and you'll find more.
post #997 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
The show could use a few more steamy scenes with Moon and her new intern.

"Here...let me show you how to do a proper exam...on a woman..."

Come to think of it, this show would be better on Cinemax tongue.gif
post #998 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if it's the refugee makeup but Moon is losing her luster for me. Sarah Carter is my go to choice now for female-alien-fighter-I-would-like-to-be-stuck-with-in-the-future.

post #999 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned Tom Mason's incredible powers of recovery.

He does have alien tapeworms, so maybe they give him the healing power of skitters. He could be a clone/android/cyborg and the real Tom is still inside the spacecraft.

Everyone on the show is giving him really obvious suspicious looks now and the skitters let him live for some reason. Maybe there's more to him than a really gross moment of eye surgery and some lax writing.wink.gif

post #1000 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Weapons in this country will never be in short supply. If you run out, just check every third house and you'll find more.

ROTFL biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1001 of 2525 Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Or, if you get down to Texas, every 3 houses would let you restock your whole army.... wink.gif

post #1002 of 2525 Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Or, if you get down to Texas, every 3 houses would let you restock your whole army.... wink.gif

Yep - just Google "SHTF ammo" and see how many people are stockpiling ammo in this country.
post #1003 of 2525 Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It dawned on me that for a household to be able to resupply an army would men that the rifles they had would all be illegal, as households aren't allowed to have semi-automatic/automatic weapons without a special license,. biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #1004 of 2525 Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They don't need to go house to house. They can just take it from any military unit or base they come across. After all there is no law or military left to stop them. They all got wiped out. It's first found, first scavenged.

post #1005 of 2525 Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

It dawned on me that for a household to be able to resupply an army would men that the rifles they had would all be illegal, as households aren't allowed to have semi-automatic/automatic weapons without a special license,. biggrin.gif

You can have as many semi-automatic rifles as you want. An automatic requires a $200 tax stamp that any non-felon can easily qualify for - but you can't get modern automatics.

But the million or so AR-15s sold each year have barrels that can be swapped for the damaged barrels in their military automatics. Plus, if they had half a brain, they'd be using them far more often in semi-auto anyway. At full auto, they're emptying a magazine in about 2.5 seconds.
post #1006 of 2525 Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Plus, if they had half a brain, they'd be using them far more often in semi-auto anyway. At full auto, they're emptying a magazine in about 2.5 seconds.

Yeah, but we know from last year that half of the brain is missing from most of the resistance.wink.gif

post #1007 of 2525 Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Watched The Glades tonight instead of this, got bored and watched FS after. Don't know why I keep coming back, I guess it's the car crash that you can't turn away from. I guess these people are truly stupid. Tom gets offered an "internment camp" a few weeks ago, and the a mysterious pilot shows up telling of this great place in NC that has electricity and running hot water-- does no one see the connection? She is trying to get all the disparate group to converge there, sounds suspicious to me, does anyone really think Tom is the only human they made that offer to?.
post #1008 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Tom gets offered an "internment camp" a few weeks ago, and the a mysterious pilot shows up telling of this great place in NC that has electricity and running hot water-- does no one see the connection?.

That would SC. Although Charleston, NC might be a better place to hide in. wink.gif

It's one thing to fly at night under the radar (apparently skitter tech isn't much better than WW2 tech ...) but we are expected to believe that a prop biplane flying in broad daylight is neither seen nor heard by any alien ships? Being an alien recruiter is the only way that seems plausible writing.

The writing this week was very hokey at times. The "I just didn't want anyone to die on Sammy's birthday" scene was almost daytime soap level.

At least skitter boy didn't use any magical skitter powers to save Jimmy and backpedal from killing him off. I was really expecting that to happen.

post #1009 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Where doe the mysterious bi-plane get refueled? This second eposoide of the new season was sorta week. There seemed to be as much infighting as withe the aliens. Time will tell.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #1010 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
So many questions, so few answers. wink.gif

I'll keep watching, but this episode had me groaning so much, my wife was threatening to call 911.
post #1011 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Great episode last night .. quite a bit going on .. I'm sure Pope will be back ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1012 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
Where can I watch (stream) season 1of Falling Skies for free legally? I have comcast but season 1 is not in the on demand section, only season 2. I tried to find it on the TNT web site but it directs you to http://www.fallingskies.com/watch/videos and season 1 is not listed and Hulu does not have the season 1 episodes. Thanks!
post #1013 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post

Where can I watch (stream) season 1of falling skies for FREE? I have comcast but season 1 is not in the on demand section, only season 2. I tried to find it on the TNT web site but it directs you to http://www.fallingskies.com/watch/videos and season 1 is not listed. Thanks!

If its not playing at TNT.com, then nowhere.

post #1014 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Liked: 10
Odd that they do not hasve season 1 available. I was going to give the show a try but I have to watch season 1 in order before I can watch season 2.
post #1015 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am enjoying the show. Never seen a 12 gage with a sight though. Is that common?

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
post #1016 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 385
If free streaming isn't available, you might check with your local public library. They might have the season 1 DVDs or be able to get them through inter-library loan. Or you can spend the money for the discs -- its available in both BD and DVD formats.

Selden
post #1017 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

I am enjoying the show. Never seen a 12 gage with a sight though. Is that common?

Not for civilians but combat shotguns for military and law enforcement have picatinny rails for just such attachments. Especially when using specialized rounds instead of buck.

post #1018 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post

Where can I watch (stream) season 1of Falling Skies for free legally? I have comcast but season 1 is not in the on demand section, only season 2. I tried to find it on the TNT web site but it directs you to http://www.fallingskies.com/watch/videos and season 1 is not listed and Hulu does not have the season 1 episodes. Thanks!

Don't think any free stream is available .. if I was in your shoes, I'd buy the BD set at Amazon for about 25 bucks, then trade it for an Amazon gift card when I got done with it .. as long as it's returned in like new shape, you'll get the max money .. bringing your cost down to about $12.00 or so to watch ..

Uncle Willie

post #1019 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So many holes, where's electricity coming from, how are they refueling all the vehicles, food?, etc. I agree w/ the previous car crash analogy.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1020 of 2525 Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

So many holes, where's electricity coming from, how are they refueling all the vehicles, food?, etc. I agree w/ the previous car crash analogy.

Good questions .. but I would guess the producers are more concerned about bringing us the human drama than the details .. there is only so much you can do in that limited timeframe .. they do seem to be packing the commercials in .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page